Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you determine what tournaments you kid plays in?

33 replies to this topic

#31 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 02 October 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

I think itís important to play courses you can shoot low scores and good finishes on as well as tough courses and fields you have to grind out finishes.  I like mixing a lot of FJTs with carefully selected AJGAs.   Choosing courses that fit your game and can showcase your abilities is important.  Playing every AJGA you can get into or in your area is a mistake IMO unless youíre the top of the top and then it really doesnít matter.  

For girls AJGAs really arenít necessary, and Iím talking full ride scholarship offers from multiple major conference D1 schools.  Can they help? Yea but again selecting the correct course that fits your strengths is important.

I am looking at tournaments next year and some of the courses look like there going be very low scoring events just based on some Courses I am seeing.

What are your thoughts on easy courses that you think a lot of players will go low since there short and you donít get into trouble. Which makes it pretty easy to get birdies.

On be other hand she may score higher but do better angainst the field on a harder course that is harder to get birdies.

My initial thought is the harder course is the better one if all things are equal.

Edited by tiger1873, 02 October 2018 - 06:14 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7450

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:30 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 02 October 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

I think itís important to play courses you can shoot low scores and good finishes on as well as tough courses and fields you have to grind out finishes.  I like mixing a lot of FJTs with carefully selected AJGAs.   Choosing courses that fit your game and can showcase your abilities is important.  Playing every AJGA you can get into or in your area is a mistake IMO unless youíre the top of the top and then it really doesnít matter.  

For girls AJGAs really arenít necessary, and Iím talking full ride scholarship offers from multiple major conference D1 schools.  Can they help? Yea but again selecting the correct course that fits your strengths is important.

I am looking at tournaments next year and some of the courses look like there going be very low scoring events just based on some Courses I am seeing.

What are your thoughts on easy courses that you think a lot of players will go low since there short and you donít get into trouble. Which makes it pretty easy to get birdies.

On be other hand she may score higher but do better angainst the field on a harder course that is harder to get birdies.

My initial thought is the harder course is the better one if all things are equal.

Depends on the age but Iíd go the opposite. The only way you comfortable shooting low scores in tournaments is having lots of opportunities to do so.

#33 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:58 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 02 October 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Depends on the age but Iíd go the opposite. The only way you comfortable shooting low scores in tournaments is having lots of opportunities to do so.

In this case we are talking about AGJA preview events. Concern is lots of players older then her and Older players not accurate off the tee may clean up at the event. I think distance is not issue but get concerned when accuracy is not rewarded. Not sure if that makes sense.

#34 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7450

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:06 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 02 October 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 02 October 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

In this case we are talking about AGJA preview events. Concern is lots of players older then her and Older players not accurate off the tee may clean up at the event. I think distance is not issue but get concerned when accuracy is not rewarded. Not sure if that makes sense.

I think you need to stop worry about what other kids are doing.  Older kids than her wonít even factor into her recruiting as itís based on grad class.  You set her up to play well and wherever that finishes in the tournament is good.  Literally nothing matters at 12 years old from almost all college coaches perspectives. Especially preview events.  Itís about setting up the future

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors