Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Son Really Shined for a Short Time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 546

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

I’m still in a bit of a daze. I have mentioned here in the past about my son who has autism. He was once very sick. Couldn’t feed himself, struggled to dress himself, almost non-verbal. Without getting into the details…I work in the medical industry, work with scientists and targeted his illness and, thankfully, we have pulled him into the mainstream. In our case, we found the cause and went after it. He has participated in a few sports over the years – we just threw him into them. Ended up getting a black belt in karate. Well, he fell in love with golf. He’s 13 now. In his second year of actually competing I entered him in the regional Junior Tour for the last 1/3 of this season. His first event with this tour was Saturday…and was the tour championship. We never know how each new experience will turn out when autism is involved and these kids in this tour are the best. But, for a short period on Saturday something magical happened. My boy was in the youngest age group and was just about the smallest kid there (still not eating like he should). After 6 holes he was right at the top. He appeared to be able to beat the whole field (which included kids up through 18 years old). I just quietly followed his group and was so proud. They didn’t know who this kid was. He just showed up and started striping it. Each drive was really long, right down the pipe. Leaving himself approach shots of 50 yards he’d feather a wedge up by the hole. One of the officials, not knowing who I was, said, “that kid can play”. He was dominating. After 6 holes he had a meltdown for a hole and never fully recovered. He abandoned his preshot routine we recently started and came in in the middle of the pack.  He was so upset with himself. This is a mental thing we are working hard to figure out – this over-the-top meltdown. Physically…it’s now clear this boy can really, really play. Now…if I can just get him to eat. I thought I’d share this story here. We don’t know how it will end. But, if you have a child with a disability. Things can get better. Feel free to PM me if you’re in that boat. I’ll be gone on a long-planned fishing trip for a while. But, when I get back I’ll get back to you.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Srixon Z Star XV & Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24696

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Seeing your child succeed is one of the most rewarding things as a parent, congrats!  Hopefully he can take away the benefits of the PSR and stick to his plan as it sounds like he has so much potential!

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Congrats.  What did he end up shooting and what was the distance?

#4 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

Good for your son. Kids with autism really have it hard if left to themselves. You and your wife should be commended for getting him out in the world.
  Most of us know little of what you are going through. My wife has worked with children with this and knows these kids can be overcomers.

Edited by NoTalentLefty, 25 September 2018 - 07:44 PM.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
6-GW Titleist AP1s
53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
58 degree SW Vokey SM6
Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

#5 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 2157

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

I think you missed the magical part.  Compared to where he was a few years ago, that your son is teeing it up is magical.  Playing great golf is just a bonus.  Hope your son continues to improve.

#6 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 2388

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

Great story!!

Thanks for sharing!!

I remember a young lady who was a regular poster on this site, sharing her story with Austism.  Really nice young lady.  She went by the username "Goobers80".  She was (and I'm sure still is) a hell of a golfer.

She shared some really good insight of her challenges and triumphs over a period of time.

Might be worthwhile to search for some of her posts, as she was very forthcoming, and genuine.

I wish you and your son the best of luck in this great game!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors