Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Drive/Chip/Putt Winners - predictor of future success?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Casual observation: there is some luck in who wins, but all the winners are really really good (some really big names have won in the past), and if one kid scores 30-40 pts higher than another it seems a decent bet that he is a superior player

Thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2374

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

From my personal experience, I've seen way more really good junior players end up quitting the game than I have going on to any tour. It's a good start, but you just never can tell if someone has the internal drive to do the required work, once mom and dad stop taking them to the golf course.
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

None at all.  Doesn’t mean you can score.  The better players aren’t even entering the events at the older level.  It is seen as not being cool.

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

Like heavy said the better kids don’t do it as they get older.  As an event it’s fine for my 7 year old who gets a free a towel or other gift at the check in. I did it this year because she liked getting a ribbon.

The system also is not set up to keep players with more skill from always winning there is a randomness to it.  For instance sink a 15ft putt or 6 foot putt you get the same score.  It being pushed as a instruction to golf tournaments and maybe that about sums it up.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 September 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#5 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

I sure as hell hope not. My kid keeps making it to regionals where he completely flops.  Can't even make the first putt.  On the bright side he always does well in driving though.  :golfer:

#6 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

The winners and top finishers can be really good while the most elite players also don't participate - they are not mutually exclusive; and many elite players do participate up until early teen years (Lucy Li, Alexa Pano)

Also the second point was that someone who finishes many many points higher than another player is probably a better overall player

#7 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:06 PM

Is it a predictor of future success?  Nope.   Does the scoring system have its flaws, yes.  Is it a lot of hype for 5-6 mins of golf  - yes.
Is it enjoyable and quite cool if you make to Finals -- definitely.   Which kid would not want the chance to compete at Augusta and be there at the Masters?
We have been to Regional, sub regional the last few years.. I think the kids especially once you get into Sub Regional and especially Regional are all good golfers .  In order to succeed, they have to execute shots with very little margin for error under tremendous pressure.  

I do not also pay much attention to scores higher than another player (flawed scoring system) plus anything can happen over 3 shots and you do not know the mental impact of missing your first drive, chip etc.

I just hope third time is a charm for us and he makes it past the Regional next year (assuming he makes it there)..

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 24 September 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

The winners and top finishers can be really good while the most elite players also don't participate - they are not mutually exclusive; and many elite players do participate up until early teen years (Lucy Li, Alexa Pano)

Also the second point was that someone who finishes many many points higher than another player is probably a better overall player

That is on the female side.  Different for guys.  I always look the kids up on JGS.  A kid in the teen division 2 years ago that won couldn’t break 80.  It is hit and miss really.  I don’t put any value in DCP other than it is a chance to go to Augusta.  

Btw...  as an example, Pano is arguably the best junior girl golfer in the country in any class.  She was beaten out last year by a girl that had been playing just a few weeks.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 24 September 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#9 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 September 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

That is on the female side.  Different for guys.  I always look the kids up on JGS.  A kids in the teen division 2 years ago that won couldn’t break 80.  It is hit and miss really.  I don’t put any value in DCP other than it is a chance to go to Augusta.  

Btw...  as an example, Pano is arguably the best junior girl golfer in the country in any class.  She was beaten out last year by a girl that had been playing just a few weeks.

I agree about female v. male. Besides the trip to Augusta, I almost think some of the top guns do it for the publicity. In a quick 5 years DCP has become its own publicity machine.

#10 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

That is on the female side.  Different for guys.  I always look the kids up on JGS.  A kid in the teen division 2 years ago that won couldn’t break 80.  It is hit and miss really.  I don’t put any value in DCP other than it is a chance to go to Augusta.  

The girl who won had been playing good for just a few weeks?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 JDee1935

JDee1935

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288765
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:09 PM

I've gotten to know Alexa Pano and her Dad very well as she stops by our course to practice when in NC, saw her a few weeks ago actually

I asked her about DCP and she said she'd love to do it again, but that going through 3 stages impossible, as USGA Championships in July interfere with Sub Regionals, and she is currently in France playing in Junior Ryder Cup, which conflicts with the Regionals to get to Augusta. so impossible to do both.

She did say that skill was important, but there are those that have a lucky day and get there too, but, that the experience of going is awesome. Plus, strong ranked junior girls, now have the opportunity to get invite to Augusta Women's Amateur, held at same time.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

View Posthangontight, on 24 September 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

The girl who won had been playing good for just a few weeks?

The girl that beat her out at regionals just picked up the clubs because of DCP.  She had never golfed before then.  DCP is about getting lucky.

#13 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

My daughter is in the regional at the TPC on Saturday. We have practiced like we normally do but I choose to not make a big deal out of it. I feel like whatever happens is going to happen. I've got buddies who are taking days off work to go down and practice ahead of time and I just don't see the point. My daughter has won the first two stages doing the same thing she has always done and we are sticking to that format. When you get to the regionals there are only 12 kids in each division so the field is smaller than normal but stronger. There really isn't room for any error if you want to move on to Augusta. In the end, we take it for what it is and that is a fun competition. If it works out and she ends up in Augusta then so be it but if not, the sun will come up on Sunday.

#14 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

They should make the chipping an up and down contest from three different lies.  Hole it, get x points.  Get up and down, get x-y points, get up and two putt, get negative points.  Same thing with putting, but maybe adjusted given length of putt.  That way you reward the lucky chip in or 30 foot putt but it’s not as penal for leaving it 2’ past the hole.  A little more realistic when it comes to real golf.  Driving is fine as is; maybe top two of three count or something like that...

Edited by yellowlover519, 25 September 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 25 September 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

They should make the chipping an up and down contest from three different lies.  Hole it, get x points.  Get up and down, get x-y points, get up and two putt, get negative points.  Same thing with putting, but maybe adjusted given length of putt.  That way you reward the lucky chip in or 30 foot putt but it's not as penal for leaving it 2' past the hole.  A little more realistic when it comes to real golf.  Driving is fine as is; maybe top two of three count or something like that...

My problem with driving is how they score it.  It doesn't matter how far you hit it as long as you put the ball in play up to a certain age.  The winner through Regional is the best at chipping and putting then puts all three drives in play.

I like your idea on the chipping and putting portion.  Anyone can get lucky an make a couple.  Harder to get the ball up and down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors