Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lasers safe to bystanders in the path of beam?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snowman9000

Snowman9000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107588
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

Are laser rangefinders harmless to a bystander who might get the beam in his eyes?  I was thinking about what would happen if PGA caddies used them.  Shooting a flag on a green that is ringed by spectators, someone would be in the line of fire.  The same thing applies for the rest of us when there is a group on the green with the flag pulled, and someone in the fairway shoots off one of the people in lieu of the absent flag.

So, wondering if this is a non-issue?

Driver 915 D2
5W Wilson Fybrid
4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
5-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
Putter TM Rossa Daytona 6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 4040

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

Since there have been no lawsuits, it's a non issue.

#3 wfwp

wfwp

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71884
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

https://www.aao.org/...nter-eye-injury

This article has good information.  The laser rangefinders I have used have a clear warning not to use in the direction of people.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1213

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

The lasers used in laser rangefinders are eyesafe.  While it is never recommended that you look into any laser at close range while it is on, the lasers used in laser rangefinders will not cause eye damage if you did.  At any kind of range where bystanders would be located it is also clearly a non-issue.  In general the public is not allowed to purchase or own a non-eyesafe laser.  Certain licenses are required that are typically only available to businesses or the government.

As an aside, the lasers used typically have a wavelength of ~1.5 microns which is invisible.  They are pulsed lasers with pulse energies in handfuls of microjoules.  The beam of light diverges a good bit as it leaves the rangefinder further reducing the energy that would reach your eye.  There is an ANSI-Z (don't know the exact doc number) document which outlines in great detail what does and does not constitute an eyesafe laser and provides laser classifications (Class I, II, IIIR, IIIA, IIIB, and IV - I think that is all).

Edit: Corrected energy units.

Edited by ThinkingPlus, 23 September 2018 - 07:50 AM.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

#5 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• 8,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3868

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 23 September 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

The lasers used in laser rangefinders are eyesafe.  While it is never recommended that you look into any laser at close range while it is on, the lasers used in laser rangefinders will not cause eye damage if you did.  At any kind of range where bystanders would be located it is also clearly a non-issue.  In general the public is not allowed to purchase or own a non-eyesafe laser.  Certain licenses are required that are typically only available to businesses or the government.

As an aside, the lasers used typically have a wavelength of ~1.5 microns which is invisible.  They are pulsed lasers with pulse energies in handfuls of microjoules.  The beam of light diverges a good bit as it leaves the rangefinder further reducing the energy that would reach your eye.  There is an ANSI-Z (don't know the exact doc number) document which outlines in great detail what does and does not constitute an eyesafe laser and provides laser classifications (Class I, II, IIIR, IIIA, IIIB, and IV - I think that is all).

Bushnell lasers are rated at <0.5 mW which is way below the 5 mW of laser pointers which are dangerous.  From the linked article: If a laser with less than five milliwatts of output power is directed at someone's eye, that person can blink or turn away without suffering an eye injury...

I think we are fairly safe in not being concerned.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#6 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1213

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostSocrates, on 23 September 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostThinkingPlus, on 23 September 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

Bushnell lasers are rated at <0.5 mW which is way below the 5 mW of laser pointers which are dangerous.  From the linked article: If a laser with less than five milliwatts of output power is directed at someone's eye, that person can blink or turn away without suffering an eye injury...

I think we are fairly safe in not being concerned.
Sort of like comparing apples and oranges.  Lasers used in rangefinders are pulsed, invisible lasers.  Lasers in laser pointers are CW (continuous wave), visible lasers.  Blink response is part of the safety chain for visible eyesafe lasers.  There can't be a blink response for the invisible lasers in rangefinders.  The low pulse energy and the insensitivity of the eye to the ~1.5 micron wavelegth makes the rangefinder laser eyesafe.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors