Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What do we think of this?


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:38 AM

www.golfwrx.com/526952/want-to-be-an-elite-junior-golfer-play-a-shorter-and-easier-home-course/


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 dpb5031

dpb5031

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
  • Joined: 10/21/2008
  • Location:Central NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 2952

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

I read it and believe the premise has merit. Shooting low, under par scores is something that needs to be learned.  There's often a psychological component that must be overcome. As the child grows, gets stronger/longer, and smarter he/she can take that scoring ability and apply it to longer courses.
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

2

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

I believe it.  That is why I always have my kid play from the shorter tees every now and then.  Playing from 6500 yards can be a struggle because his distance just isn't there yet.  Every so often will play him from the shorter tees to get a feel of what it is like to score.

3

#4 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

I believe it.  That is why I always have my kid play from the shorter tees every now and then.  Playing from 6500 yards can be a struggle because his distance just isn't there yet.  Every so often will play him from the shorter tees to get a feel of what it is like to score.
Same reason we'll play from US Kids yardages at our home course. One par 3 is 180 yards but us kids plays it at 100... Much easier to score with a PW than a 4h.  Another par 3 we have is 230 yards... US Kids just plays it as a par 4.

4

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:45 AM

View Postleezer99, on 17 September 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

I believe it.  That is why I always have my kid play from the shorter tees every now and then.  Playing from 6500 yards can be a struggle because his distance just isn't there yet.  Every so often will play him from the shorter tees to get a feel of what it is like to score.
Same reason we'll play from US Kids yardages at our home course. One par 3 is 180 yards but us kids plays it at 100... Much easier to score with a PW than a 4h.  Another par 3 we have is 230 yards... US Kids just plays it as a par 4.

I am going to middle school golf practice tomorrow and having the 8th graders play from the forward tees.  Just to have fun and to shoot low.  May do the same thing at the match on Thursday.


5

#6 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 17 September 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

I believe it.  That is why I always have my kid play from the shorter tees every now and then.  Playing from 6500 yards can be a struggle because his distance just isn't there yet.  Every so often will play him from the shorter tees to get a feel of what it is like to score.
Same reason we'll play from US Kids yardages at our home course. One par 3 is 180 yards but us kids plays it at 100... Much easier to score with a PW than a 4h.  Another par 3 we have is 230 yards... US Kids just plays it as a par 4.

I am going to middle school golf practice tomorrow and having the 8th graders play from the forward tees.  Just to have fun and to shoot low.  May do the same thing at the match on Thursday.

Throw in some driveable par 4's with lots of greenside trouble and see who lays up and who goes for it.  Should tell you a lot about their confidence.

6

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

It makes sense but you also need a course that you can play at different distances too. Some courses have forced carry on almost every hole and playing up means you have to layup almost every time.

The problem I seen with most tough courses is you either have the shot or don't. In a lot cases they are poorly designed because you need to land in a certain spot in order to hit the green and you have no way to recover if you don't layup. Learning how to par a hole after a bad shot is an essential skill they need to learn.

7

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 17 September 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Learning how to par a hole after a bad shot is an essential skill they need to learn.

That doesn't mean the course has to be difficult.

8

#9 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 17 September 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Learning how to par a hole after a bad shot is an essential skill they need to learn.

That doesn't mean the course has to be difficult.

Yes it doesn't need to be difficult.  But you do want some elements of challenge lots of executive courses with no hazards that are cheap and short but not really good to play.

I tend to think Fazio Designed courses in general are great courses to learn how to play and would tend to not want a Pete Dye type of target golf course. I am sure there are other designers out there as well but those two come to my mind.

Edited by tiger1873, 17 September 2018 - 01:48 PM.


9



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors