Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

224 replies to this topic

#211 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

I am a scratch. With a 4.5 yr old and a 5 month old at home most of my rounds are as close to home as possible and not with a steady group. I primarily play 2 courses and almost always call the day before I play to get paired up with a 2 or 3some as early as possible. Humbly stated, I'm of the ilk this thread is titled. It has been interesting reading how better players are viewed when randomly paired up.

I have played with a couple tour pros (not big name guys at all). I've played with a ton of really good players. The only time I've really been impressed was last summer. I went out late on a Saturday afternoon to get a quick round in. 2 guys were warming up and both had some ability so I asked if they wanted to pair up.

I carry driver right at 270 (I'm 5'8 175). The better of the 2 players was about 6'3 and was by me by 40 yards on every drive. Through 15 holes he was -6 including a bogey on a par 5. He was driver and flip wedge into every par 4. Driver-iron into 3 of the 4 par 5s. He hit 70-100 yard wedges inside 15 feet every time (most of them inside 10 feet) and made every putt.

It was impressive. I think I was 2 over through 15.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5602

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

Reston "The Remmy" Remson

His game was an interplay of shots and sounds that wordlessly communicated a seemingly limitless prowess evidenced by scorecards adorned with numerous birdies.  As he strolled down the greenest of fairways his accompanying orchestra was song birds, and nothing that resembled the bustling crowds dotted with backward hats, beer cups and typical body sounds.  He lived on club food, red bull and vending machine snacks high in carbohydrates and low in nutrition. He smelled of 2-cycle fuel and aged cheese. His shoes were worn but what one would call radiant when compared to his slacks that hung like drapes in the living room at the garden square apartment complex in St. Louis on East and 6th.  

#213 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:01 PM

Played with a young Lexi Thompson in Rancho Mirage..BEFORE she was on tour..she was practicing for a qualifier.  She shot 5 under from the men's back tees.  She even taught me about rolling putts.

#214 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

I only answer to "Ace" now

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 1700

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

Has anyone here ever played with Lexi Thompson?
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil finish or Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38"
WITB Link

#215 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

View Post3 Jack Par, on 04 December 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

Has anyone here ever played with Lexi Thompson?

i posted again in case folks don't have time to read the entire thread....money is time for WRX'ers...they want info NOW!

#216 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 1863

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

View Postwrmiller, on 19 September 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Speaking of perception:

I have always been amazed at what skill level the average weekend player considers 'good enough to be on tour'.

The last time for me was playing up in CO at my favorite course. I was a single of course, so got paired up with a couple of nice older guys riding together in a cart.

We were on the 9th hole, a slightly uphill dogleg right par 4. My cut shot off the tee didn't, so I'm just out of the fairway on the left and on a bit of a slope with the ball a bit above my feet. I'm getting ready to hit when the old guys drive up. One of the guys asked me "why aren't you on tour somewhere?" He said that they have watched me hit high shots, low shots, left-to-right shots, and right-to-left shots. At that time I think I was one under. A decent score for me, but not great at all for a good stick.

I looked at them and said that the difference between my game and that of someone on a 'tour somewhere' is about the same as the difference between their game and mine (they were probably between a 10-15 if I had to guess). I then described what a pro would be looking at for this next shot:

Elevated green (blind shot from where I am), kidney shaped right to left with the pin tucked in the back left (sucker pin), that would benefit from a high soft draw that lands about 3/4 of the way back and releases towards the hole. Over was dead.

Then miraculously, I proceeded to hit the very shot I just described, and looked over to the guys and said "kinda like that". Both guys now had their mouth hanging open. When we got to the green, we could see that indeed the ball had landed short of the pin and released to about 7'. I was a bit surprised that I managed to pull that shot off with the lie/stance that I had, and told the guys that I was very, very lucky with that shot. I managed to lip out the putt on the low side. Took my standard kick-in par, and I looked at the guys and told them that a pro wouldn't have missed that.  

They still claimed that I should be on a tour somewhere. *sigh*

So you're one under, working it high low left and right, then after asked why you aren't a pro you "call your shot" to a tough location and execute to perfection. Then you "sigh" because they just don't get it?

Some of the God worship of pros gets a little ridiculous around here. Some of them do superhuman stuff don't get me wrong. Your average scratch can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. But you know what? Your average PRO can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. I get a chance every year to see a lot of the "lower level" pros every year at the John Deere. Now don't get me wrong, they're all good. VERY good. Consistent. But a lot of them are 280 in the fairway, iron onto the green, and two putts. They don't wow you constantly. They hit solid shots. And they don't have that bone headed shot once or twice a round like a scratch golfer. Their short games are extremely solid. And don't get me wrong, they're a notch above. But dont a FEW of you think if your average club scratch had access to tour level coaches, played the immaculate greens and sand of a tour setup, and practiced EVERY day because that's their job, that your average scratch wouldn't also have an extremely solid short game?

Bottom line is this I guess and why I responded. For those nine holes you EASILY could've been mistaken for a pro. You had it going, and it could very easily be seen by two guys randomly paired with you that you are a potential pro. They didn't see the 76 you shot the week before. They're looking at a guy hitting every shot in the bag and playing under par. To "sigh" and insist they have no idea what they're looking at is just you not understanding the situation.

#217 evansmar004

evansmar004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 517680
  • Handicap:+0.3
  • Ebay ID:evansma12
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

So I have shot under par a decent amount now, and have played with others who have too. But....During our member guest this summer, I played against Broc Johnson (went to ASU at the same time as Rahm). He played the easiest, quietest, bud light drinking round I have ever witnessed while shooting a 65... it was insane.

#218 scottygolfer3

scottygolfer3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153283
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

I played my home course with a guy who is on the web.com tour
he didnt hit it a mile by me but he was very consistent
he definitely is not the longest guy out there, but many ways to get it done
the 17th hole is a par 3 around 210, he hit a 4 iron to 30 feet or so

#219 wjdpar1

wjdpar1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3643
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

Would you tell us more about Cameron Champ?  I'm very curious about him as I believe he represents the next major change in the world of professional golf much like Nicklaus and Tiger in their prime.

The fact he can hit it so far with what appears to be a very controlled swing is amazing to me.  He has the short game too

Thanks

#220 c7015

c7015

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234573
GolfWRX Likes : 616

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

I'm pretty close to scratch and distance is a strong point. I never really paired up with guys who hit it that much longer than I do.

However, I play with a lot of guys who are +2 up to +4 and it's a different level in terms of what a miss looks like. I can hang for 9 holes but over the course of a round... no, over a 3-4 day tourney forget it.

Have played with LPGA players (impressive but in a whole different way from the + handicap guys in terms of how they get it done.

915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
714cb  6-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
SC Newport 2.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#221 lthelwpn

lthelwpn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333983
  • Handicap:+2.4
  • Ebay ID:Forged64
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

I feel the biggest difference is their misses....I'm a + cap and some mini tour players I play with really dont miss shots where I do... they miss in places where they can get it up n down. By all means they dont always do that but majority of the time they do.

#222 rama5

rama5

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1500
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

I actual played 9 holes with Bret Hull in Duluth MN once, awesome to watch and yes my game improved by the 5th hole after I got over the jitters of playing with him.  I was in a gallery at a local private club in Duluth for a sponsored "pro" he arrived late and was without a warm up and was the average joe until the 5th hole when everything finally started to click. He was awesome to watch and he talked about a proper warm up and stretching

#223 Sonja Henie

Sonja Henie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 510056
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Used to play with D1 golfers (top 10 program) in college when they were willing to tolerate my presence in their group.  Incredible experience playing with players that good.  I had never seen the game played like that.

#224 BottleCap

BottleCap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted Today, 09:36 AM

One thing I've noticed is that a NY/NJ scratch golfer looks nothing like a CA/FL/TX scratch golfer. They must play shorter courses there.
Titleist TS2 9.5 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 7S
Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT

#225 foozledbaffy

foozledbaffy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21896