Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter for 6/7 year old?

13 replies to this topic

#1 cellywratt

cellywratt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512420
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:50 PM

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, my son is nearly 7 (48 inches tall) and i'm looking to upgrade his putter from his generic kids set. He's played a couple of USKids local tour events here in New Zealand.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable putter? His current one is so lightweight that he struggles with the weight of his putts as he has to hit the ball so hard.

Should I get an adults club cut down? or are the US kids UL putters any good?

TIA!

Cheers
Marcel.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 598

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

My kid played a USKG UL48 putter when he was 6/7.   The putter head weighs 340g. Specs here:  http://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf

I won a Ping Anser 5 putter at a scramble tournament I was at. Its head weight is 350g.  So, I cut that down for him (he was still 7) to 27.5" finished club length.  Works fine.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 928

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

I saw a kid at a tournament that had what looked like a mini 2 ball putter that I thought was pretty cool.  Really though, just pick yourself up a used putter off of ebay that you think he'd like and cut it down to size.  Throw a super stroke grip flatso 1.0 grip on it and be done with it until he grows again.

#4 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:27 AM

View Postleezer99, on 12 September 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

I saw a kid at a tournament that had what looked like a mini 2 ball putter that I thought was pretty cool.  Really though, just pick yourself up a used putter off of ebay that you think he'd like and cut it down to size.  Throw a super stroke grip flatso 1.0 grip on it and be done with it until he grows again.

I was going to suggest the Odyssey 2-Ball J. My daughter played it for a couple years. From what I can tell, though, it's only available if you buy the full Callaway XJHot set. Cally has changed this in their 2018 sets, though. And tbh, the rest of the set isn't really worth it.

Can be found on eBay if you like. My daughter is 9 now, so she's playing a Ping which she loves. The one thing I recall, and this may be true of all junior putters, is that the height of the face is smaller than standard putters. At times I felt this made it harder to hit the sweet spot for consistent contact if there is too much vertical displacement during the stroke.

#5 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:00 PM

View Postleezer99, on 12 September 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

I second this advice, but would also add to maybe consider getting one with adjustable weights.  I spent too much time deliberating over what putter to get him, worrying about swing weight effect when cutting down, etc.  At the end of the day, let him pick one that he likes and cut it down.  The heavier weights do smooth out his stroke though, I guess you could always use lead tape.  Not sure what others thoughts are but I think my son would put better with a mallet, but he loves his blade.

#6 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

Whend

View Postcellywratt, on 12 September 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, my son is nearly 7 (48 inches tall) and i'm looking to upgrade his putter from his generic kids set. He's played a couple of USKids local tour events here in New Zealand.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable putter? His current one is so lightweight that he struggles with the weight of his putts as he has to hit the ball so hard.

Should I get an adults club cut down? or are the US kids UL putters any good?

TIA!

Cheers
Marcel.

When dealing with putters it comes down to what the kid likes the look of and also the weighting of the putter. Most of the kids who play competitively use brand name putters and they are cut down to US Kids specs for their age. I'm a big proponent of the mallet style putter for the younger kids because its more stable and easier to make solid contact with. Half of the guys on tour use a mallet style putter for those for reasons. I wouldn't get a huge mallet but a midsized one is good. You can find used named brand putters on ebay real cheap so that is the way that I would go. Just got to a golf store and see what style he likes and then get something similar to that.

#7 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:51 PM

I would be the sucker here who got his kid fitted for a putter and over paid, but she likes it so there is that. Find something they like and get it cut down. My opinion us kids is trash when it comes to their putters. I would try to get a little bit of a fitting done. My daughters has counter balance weights in the handle and  a lot longer than what us kids suggest.

#8 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:28 PM

View Postdarter79, on 14 September 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

I would be the sucker here who got his kid fitted for a putter and over paid, but she likes it so there is that. Find something they like and get it cut down. My opinion us kids is trash when it comes to their putters. I would try to get a little bit of a fitting done. My daughters has counter balance weights in the handle and  a lot longer than what us kids suggest.

I wish I could cut my daughter’s down. Won’t even let me do that. At 57” she’s running a 33” putter. I blame it on her coach, who told her to just choke down. It works, she’s happy, and a good putter, so I can’t say too much. I should probably at least get the lie adjusted so she’s not standing so far away.

Edited by BertGA, 14 September 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#9 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

View PostBertGA, on 14 September 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 14 September 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

I wish I could cut my daughter's down. Won't even let me do that. At 57" she's running a 33" putter. I blame it on her coach, who told her to just choke down. It works, she's happy, and a good putter, so I can't say too much. I should probably at least get the lie adjusted so she's not standing so far away.

Mine is 54" and uses a 31 that she was FITTED into. so there is that.  Thy said it gave a bit of room for growth. Yeah mind tends to get too close. But not everyone can be crazy like I did and spend that on a putter, looking back WTF was I thinking.

#10 cellywratt

cellywratt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512420
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

Thanks heaps everyone! Some solid advice here. I will start looking for a decent second hand mallet putter and get it cut down for him :)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

View Postcellywratt, on 18 September 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Thanks heaps everyone! Some solid advice here. I will start looking for a decent second hand mallet putter and get it cut down for him :)

Give him an opinion on picking it too, if he thinks it is cool then all the better.

#12 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1864

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

I have two Odyssey 1wS putters that my son used and did very well with as a 7 yr old.  Let me know if you might be interested as they are just sitting around.  they both have superstroke grips on them so they would be ready to put in play right away.  These putters are very easy to line up for juniors.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 928

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

View Postkekoa, on 21 September 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

I have two Odyssey 1wS putters that my son used and did very well with as a 7 yr old.  Let me know if you might be interested as they are just sitting around.  they both have superstroke grips on them so they would be ready to put in play right away.  These putters are very easy to line up for juniors.

All black?

#14 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1864

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Postleezer99, on 21 September 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 21 September 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

All black?

Neither are all black.  one is WBW and the other is BWB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors