Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Eye2 lofts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
GolfWRX Likes : 2521

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

So I've seen the "official" lofts - with the Eye2s weaker than the Eye2+, especially from the PW to LW.

What I'm curious about is whether, after the design and release of the Eye2+, Ping continued to make and sell the original design Eye2s (presumably with Eye2+ spec grooves) and if so, whether they also strengthened the lofts.

I have picked up a set of Eye2s. They have JZ shafts, which I think is a relatively modern shaft compared to the bulk of Eye2s which I think were sold with either ZZ Lite or KT, and the wedges are surprisingly strong - like 47*/53*.

So either someone has bent their old Eye2s, which is in itself quite an impressive athletic feat. Or Ping offered the "old" head design with modernised lofts for a while.

I have emailed Ping with the serial numbers - although the first 2 digits are pretty hard to read and I'm not 100% certain I've got them correct.

Just wondering whether anyone has any general insight on this.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 disco111

disco111

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

The eye 2+ had slightly stronger (2.5 degrees) lofts. Had original eye 2's and those shafts regardless of the label were stiff to x stiff. The eye 2's had more forgiving shafts in contrast to the originals. They also either came with stiff or regular. The color on the shaft band dictates which is which.

#3 scruffynick

scruffynick

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317681
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 736

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:26 AM

What I remember the eye2 plus were stronger lofts and if the label was red the shaft was stiff.. Blue was regular. Could be wrong but its what I think I remember

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1854

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:31 AM

I doubt Ping would've redone the casts for stronger lofts back in the day.  Remember they moved onto the new Eye 2 model with the radiused soles and the "illegal" grooves (plus no plus) and then post lawsuit started producing the radiused model with the + on it to signify the new grooves.  

I'd imagine you got a set that someone, ping or otherwise, managed to bend them.

#5 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

Certified Blade Chump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 5273

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

It's possible they could be Eye2 Dot irons?  I'm not seeing anything that references lofts, unfortunately, so it's only haphazard speculation.

The Eye2 Dot set had Eye2 clubheads, but with Eye2+ grooves.  Since they had to change the molds for the grooves anyway, they could have changed the lofts as well.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr, 13 September 2018 - 09:06 AM.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
1 iron:  Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
SW:  Acer XB 58*, DGS300 tipped
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
(Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV
   will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
Shoes by True Linkswear

#6 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

There's no sign of these being "Dot" clubheads, which I think should indicate that they're pre-1990. But them I'm struggling to reconcile them being that old, with them having JZ shafts.

It's possible that, since I'm in the UK, the "dot" identification wasn't used. I'm assuming that the difference in groove spacing isn't going to be sufficiently apparent at home as a way to age the heads. Still hoping that Ping come through with info based on the serial number.

If I get confirmation that these started out with "conventional" Eye2 weaker lofts, then I'd feel more confident about bending them back. But 4* is a lot of bending in these heads. If they left the factory set at the stronger lofts, I'd be a lot more concerned about breakage.

#7 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

Have not heard back from Ping, but went ahead and bent them back to the published specs anyway. Thankfully no breakages, but quite a lot of work. The wedges were about 4* out, with progressively smaller adjustments needed through the rest of the set. Looking forward to seeing how they play now with loft and bounce restored.

FWIW, lie adjustments seem quite a bit easier to make than loft. I know the conventional wisdom is to send them back to Ping, and depending on what it might cost you to have them done locally this might still make sense, but it can certainly be done.

#8 dcr147

dcr147

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165705
  • Ebay ID:dcr147
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:26 PM

View Postbirly-shirly, on 13 September 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

There's no sign of these being "Dot" clubheads, which I think should indicate that they're pre-1990. But them I'm struggling to reconcile them being that old, with them having JZ shafts.

It's possible that, since I'm in the UK, the "dot" identification wasn't used. I'm assuming that the difference in groove spacing isn't going to be sufficiently apparent at home as a way to age the heads. Still hoping that Ping come through with info based on the serial number.

If I get confirmation that these started out with "conventional" Eye2 weaker lofts, then I'd feel more confident about bending them back. But 4* is a lot of bending in these heads. If they left the factory set at the stronger lofts, I'd be a lot more concerned about breakage.
If you want them bent, do not use a bending machine, send them back to Ping and have them do them. They use a process that will not cause any damage to the hosels or in the neck.

#9 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:51 AM

Have you seen a ping damaged in a bending machine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors