Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2019 Rules

30 replies to this topic

#1 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:51 PM

Was reading through some of the rules changes for 2019 and this one stood out.  
Rule 10.2b

Restriction on Your Caddie Standing Behind You. When you begin taking your stance for the stroke and until your stroke is made:

• Your caddie must not deliberately stand on or close to an extension of your line of play behind your ball for any reason.

• If you take a stance in breach of this Rule, you cannot avoid penalty by backing away.

If I'm not mistaken this would be a noticeable rule change for next year.  I think the current rule allows the caddie in the line up until the swing begins.  The rule change seems to change that.  Hopefully this should help pace of play.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 12 September 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Rule 10.2b

Restriction on Your Caddie Standing Behind You. When you begin taking your stance for the stroke and until your stroke is made:

• Your caddie must not deliberately stand on or close to an extension of your line of play behind your ball for any reason.

• If you take a stance in breach of this Rule, you cannot avoid penalty by backing away.

If I'm not mistaken this would be a noticeable rule change for next year.  I think the current rule allows the caddie in the line up until the swing begins.  The rule change seems to change that.  Hopefully this should help pace of play.

This rule will really help in junior golf. Last US kids tournament a few weeks ago they were telling everyone after Jan 1st this rule will be in effect.

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will  be mad since they canít do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.

Edited by tiger1873, 12 September 2018 - 04:12 PM.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 923

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 12 September 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Rule 10.2b

This rule will really help in junior golf. Last US kids tournament a few weeks ago they were telling everyone after Jan 1st this rule will be in effect.

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will  be mad since they can’t do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.
Alignment sticks are going to be out of stock everywhere. LOL

#4 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

View Postleezer99, on 12 September 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

Rule 10.2b

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will  be mad since they can’t do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.
That's actually prohibited also with that same rule

No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. You must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down to help in lining up your feet or body.

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 596

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 12 September 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Rule 10.2b

No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. You must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down to help in lining up your feet or body.

There are going to be some triggered caddies on our local tour...especially if they didn’t make themselves aware beforehand.

#6 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

You're assuming they don't create a local rule, it really wouldn't surprise me if they did.

#7 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 923

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 12 September 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Rule 10.2b

Well yeah, I was referring to kids learning to line themselves up in practice.

View Postdarter79, on 12 September 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

You're assuming they don't create a local rule, it really wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Please God No!!!

#8 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 2355

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

View Postdarter79, on 12 September 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

There aren't any model Local Rules for that.

http://www.usga.org/...pretations.html
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

#9 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:12 PM

According the local tour director, pace of play will go faster for for kids 9+ and go slower for kids 8 and under.

She doesn't believe it really changed anything in the overall big picture.  :taunt:

#10 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:30 AM

View Postmrshinsa, on 12 September 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

According the local tour director, pace of play will go faster for for kids 9+ and go slower for kids 8 and under.

She doesn't believe it really changed anything in the overall big picture.  :taunt:

I can see how it could easily add to pace in the younger groups. More off-line hits, bad putts,etc. Certainly will lead to more honest scores, but if it adds 2 strokes to every hole, that can only hurt pace of play.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostBertGA, on 13 September 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

View Postmrshinsa, on 12 September 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

I can see how it could easily add to pace in the younger groups. More off-line hits, bad putts,etc. Certainly will lead to more honest scores, but if it adds 2 strokes to every hole, that can only hurt pace of play.

Aligning  kids up for every shot and putt already takes a long time  especially if they do it for every shot.  Even kids under 9 can hit the green in 2 or 3 shots without much help especially when the course is only 1500 yards or so.  I haven't seen too many kids under 9 though who can read a green so putting will go up but at the same time kids may be quicker there too since they just go up and bang the putt.

Edited by tiger1873, 13 September 2018 - 07:15 AM.

#12 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1862

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

You would be assuming that  parents/kids at the US kids level in know about the rules in the first place.  Lately, it has become almost a joke.  There are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate.

#13 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2208

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

View Postkekoa, on 13 September 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

You would be assuming that  parents/kids at the US kids level in know about the rules in the first place.  Lately, it has become almost a joke.  There are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate.

You mean like hitting OB and playing as a lateral hazard?  Yeah.  Those people.

#14 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 13 September 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

That rule is changing too under local rules. I wouldn't want to use it since it's 2 penalty strokes though but I expect it will confuse a lot people if you go back and hit off the tee for 1.  I am going to assume junior tournaments like US Kids locals will adopt this rule since it may help speed up play.

http://www.usga.org/...d-distance.html

Edited by tiger1873, 13 September 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 13 September 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

That rule is changing too if they allow it for local rules.  I am going to assume a junior tournaments will adopt this rule.

http://www.usga.org/...d-distance.html

I think they will for local one day tournaments.  I don't think they will be able to for 36+ hole ranked tournaments.  Will cause too many problems with rankings.  One kid can get stroke and distance in one tournament while another gets a lateral drop in another.  Has to be equal across the board.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 13 September 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#16 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 13 September 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I think they will for local one day tournaments.  I don't think they will be able to for 36+ hole ranked tournaments.  Will cause too many problems with rankings.  One kid can get stroke and distance in one tournament while another gets a lateral drop in another.  Has to be equal across the board.

In most cases I would think it would be better to go back and play stroke and distance. I can only think of a few dog tracks over the years where you need this rule. To me this appeals to weekend club golfers  who can't hit off the tee with a driver for the most part.

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 13 September 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

In most cases I would think it would be better to go back and play stroke and distance. I can only think of a few dog tracks over the years where you need this rule. To me this appeals to weekend club golfers  who can't hit off the tee with a driver for the most part.

You are crazy.  Penalty and Distance might as well be two penalty strokes.  More than likely not getting it up and down for any less than double.  Taking a lateral still gives a great chance for a bogey.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 13 September 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#18 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492298
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

Thatís about like every parent we play with in 6U.  One didnít want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, ďOh, weíre playing that way?Ē.

#19 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,901 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

View PostAUSweeper, on 13 September 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's about like every parent we play with in 6U.  One didn't want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, "Oh, we're playing that way?".

And you reply-  'By the rules?-  Yes!!!'

#20 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 13 September 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 13 September 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

You are crazy.  Penalty and Distance might as well be two penalty strokes.  More than likely not getting it up and down for any less than double.  Taking a lateral still gives a great chance for a bogey.

Thinking about it again I think your right. I didnít think this through counting the strokes I was thinking why would you take 2 strokes.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

That's about like every parent we play with in 6U.  One didn't want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, "Oh, we're playing that way?".

Was the kid getting a 10 every hole or was he competitive? If a kid is hacking it all over the place I'm not going to worry about the tap.
Clubs are fluid

#22 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

View Postmd1m, on 14 September 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

Was the kid getting a 10 every hole or was he competitive? If a kid is hacking it all over the place I'm not going to worry about the tap.

Ehhhh....  they have to learn somewhere.  Just because they aren't competitive doesn't mean they don't play by all the rules.  I have a good story about this, but don't have enough time to type it out today.  Long story short, if you are competing then you call it.

#23 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 14 September 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ehhhh....  they have to learn somewhere.  Just because they aren't competitive doesn't mean they don't play by all the rules.  I have a good story about this, but don't have enough time to type it out today.  Long story short, if you are competing then you call it.
Exactly.  If my kid moves the ball, Iím calling it and expect others to as well.

#24 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,901 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:38 PM

True true. My buddy called us on riding the cart during a hole about a year back. Cost us the tourney and I was pissed but rules are rules and my son shot 31 on him to win the tour championship. :)

#25 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:57 PM

View Postkekoa, on 14 September 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

True true. My buddy called us on riding the cart during a hole about a year back. Cost us the tourney and I was pissed but rules are rules and my son shot 31 on him to win the tour championship. :)

Hopefully they gave you a warning before the penalty as that is in us kids rules. (you would have to ride the cart more than once to get the penalty)

But way to seek revenge  with a low score.

#26 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,901 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

View Postdarter79, on 14 September 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Hopefully they gave you a warning before the penalty as that is in us kids rules. (you would have to ride the cart more than once to get the penalty)

No warning. I had no idea it was a rule so he called it on us at the scoring table lol

#27 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 596

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

View Postkekoa, on 14 September 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

No warning. I had no idea it was a rule so he called it on us at the scoring table lol

The parent who called it on you was probably saying to himself in the car ride home "there are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate." :lol:

#28 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:43 PM

We'll just agree to disagree. My son was paired with an autistic kid a couple times this year. He's not able to keep his emotions in check and usually comes in dead last every event. So while it sounds like you golf dads would call him out to "teach him that rules are rules", I'll continue to ignore certain things. He doesn't cheat, he's just really struggles in golf and in life.

Calling penalty strokes at the table? He needs to get a life.
Clubs are fluid

#29 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:22 PM

Rule 10.2b

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will  be mad since they canít do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.

Iím not so sure this will change much.  They will still line the ball up for the kid every time.  Just wonít do it while they are in their stance about to putt.  To get around this rule, if the player sets up and is misaligned the caddie could just have the kid mark it and adjust accordingly, right?

#30 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

View Postkekoa, on 14 September 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

well you really got screwed then. Should have been a warning if it is the first breech.

http://www.uskidsgol...ate/cart-policy

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors