Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MGK-Rap Devil

64 replies to this topic

#61 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 1031

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 21 September 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

View Post1puttTUT, on 20 September 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

View Postblaird, on 20 September 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

View Posttoddnt, on 19 September 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Wishing for a time capsule.. This new generation of rap/hip hop is garbage!
    (JMO)

I agree!! Ill listen to what the kids I teach/coach are talking about and dont care for any of it.

I graduated high school in 2000 so middle school was Tupac, Biggie, Bone, and Outkast...high school was No Limit and Cash Money artists with Nelly, Jay Z, Luda and Eminem being the biggest we listened too...and later on in college it was still Em and Nelly with more Lil John and a couple others playing at the clubs. I still go back and listen to the old stuff sometimes. Im sure there were more and bigger acts that Im forgetting but these still stick out to me. Ive tried to listen to acts like Tekashi and Migos and a couple others but just dont like the beats or the style.

How can you not like Migos?!?!?!

I don't understand the allure of Migos either.

On a side note, I ran into Krayzie Bone in the airport last week.  Being a Columbus guy, I have always loved Bone Thugs.  They take me back to my middle/high school days in Columbus.

I understand why not everyone likes Migos, but they are today's closest thing to the gangster rap that the 90's fanboys love, at least that have had any commercial success.

It's annoying how everyone in their late 30's to early 40's hates current rap. Yeah, there is crap but there's some good stuff too and it beats listening to the same 100 songs over and over.

Rant aside I do love Bone though!

Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
TP Mills Trad II roundneck

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23304
  • Ebay ID:llamont123
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

There’s great music out there but it’s not being played in the mainstream rotation. A lot of the gripes from us “experienced” (not just older) listeners is that we came up in a time when lyrics meant something and artistry was actually a prideful value. Rappers had to be quick-witted and crafty with the wordplay to reign supreme.  Yo MTV Rap used to showcase all of the top emcees. Rap City used to have the “Booth.”  106 and Park used to have freestyle Friday’s.  These shows were like platforms for artists to show this stuff.  Now it’s cool to get an image, say/mumble a bunch of nothing, and millennial whoop the life out of the hooks.  Sure...the beat productions are nice but then what?. There’s plenty of audience space for acts like Migos, Future, French Montana, MGK, etc but they HARDLY represent the best of what’s out here. I went to a TDE concert (Kendrick, Ab Soul, Schoolboy Q, SZA, and Jay Rock) that was as talent-filled as any mainstream showcase. I just went to Dave Chappelle’s concert at the Hollywood Bowl which featured legendary hip hop artists De La soul, Talib Kweli, and Lauryn Hill. It was actually Lauryn Hill’s concert to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the (enigmatic) Ms. Education of Lauryn Hill album. I was in the 10th or 11th grade when that dropped. Go listen to one of the three Rawkus “Soundbombing” mixtapes and/or go listen to a DJ Hi-Tek mixtape and pair them up with a Migos record, a Post Malone record, or any other current chart topping “new age” rapper and have an honest and thoughtful conversation about the quality of what is being said. I say checkout the mixtapes because they will give you material from several different emcees from the respective eras.

Many of us in our 30s/40s/50s have to actively search to find the great new artists. Personally, I rely on shows like Insecure (HBO) to get up to speed on trending hip hop.  Raphael Saadiq and Solange Knowles score the soundtrack and the streaming services do a good job of populating the artists stations.  

Call our disdain with the current “pop-hop” hate or whatever but the quality of the mainstream acts does not stand up to that from years past. Just my $.02.

I definitely went off topic re MGK’s “Rap Devil” but I’ll chop it up to age and the early am rant. Happy Saturday folks!

Edited by llamont, 22 September 2018 - 09:18 AM.

I love golf

#63 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23304
  • Ebay ID:llamont123
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

Re Bone Thugs and Harmony...  Bizzy and Lazy are still trailblazers IMO
I love golf

#64 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 1031

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

Kendrick, Rick Ross and all 3 Migos members are very good lyricists...but yes there is a ton of mumble rap out there these days. The good thing about those rappers is that they disappear pretty quickly.
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
TP Mills Trad II roundneck

#65 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 1988

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Eminem, with all due respect, flipped a switch and became the exact type of person that he used to hate on. I do like that he isn’t an attention grabber in the media, except when he does something noteworthy that grabs attention.

Eminem should let MGK make it. Whether he likes him or not, Kelly has some crazy skills. That being said, he also shouldn’t be dumb enough to call out Em. Eminem did a lot for rappers that weren’t from the east or west coast, and there’s some respect that should be given there too.

What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors