Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Srixon launches (9/18) New/Updated Q STAR TOUR that is now available in tour yellow.

48 replies to this topic

#31 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 542

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, I can sidespin any ball off the driver like nobody's business. But, this ball is one of the better balls for me - for whatever reason. I am really happy with how I can put this ball where I want it to go off the clubface. It's funny how different people form different impressions of different balls. For some reason, for example, I found the Gamer Soft to be really short off the driver, which I would guess is very unusual.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Srixon Z Star XV & Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 759

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

Played the 2018 QST Yellow for the first time today.  Ended up shooting 77 (my Avg is 83).  9.3 cap. Short knocker.

Initial impressions:
Driver flight - as long as I put a good swing on it it held its line pretty well and launch and height were really good. Maybe even slightly higher than most Urethane balls Iíve tried (I need launch).
For the conditions (Soft with recent rain) and cooler (high 60ís) distance was on par with what Iíd expect with limited rollout.

My irons and wedges all seemed off about 5 yds Carry.
Once again flight seemed higher than normal so that could be why.

All my GIRís were pretty much a one hop and stop.

Chipping - was dialed in with my 56* on chips and pitches. 44% scrambling which is high for me.  Probably doesnt check as quickly as say a Chrome Soft of TP5x but no control issues.

Canít really comment on Feel off the putter As today was my first round with a different putter.  Distance control on lags was really good. Only 1 3 putt.

Look - I always play a yellow ball and this one looks good. Very similar shade of bright yellow to the Chrome Soft and Soft Feel but with a hint of metallic flake in it.  Good looking ball. In hand you can see a seam but on the course never noticed it once.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FGS+
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 20*/23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56* / Callaway Sure Out 60*/64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

#33 snagy2000

snagy2000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
GolfWRX Likes : 611

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:31 PM

No seams on box of balls I have.

#34 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

View Posterock9174, on 15 September 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

Played the 2018 QST Yellow for the first time today.  Ended up shooting 77 (my Avg is 83).  9.3 cap. Short knocker.

Initial impressions:
Driver flight - as long as I put a good swing on it it held its line pretty well and launch and height were really good. Maybe even slightly higher than most Urethane balls I've tried (I need launch).
For the conditions (Soft with recent rain) and cooler (high 60's) distance was on par with what I'd expect with limited rollout.

All my GIR's were pretty much a one hop and stop.

Chipping - was dialed in with my 56* on chips and pitches. 44% scrambling which is high for me.  Probably doesnt check as quickly as say a Chrome Soft of TP5x but no control issues.

Can't really comment on Feel off the putter As today was my first round with a different putter.  Distance control on lags was really good. Only 1 3 putt.

Look - I always play a yellow ball and this one looks good. Very similar shade of bright yellow to the Chrome Soft and Soft Feel but with a hint of metallic flake in it.  Good looking ball. In hand you can see a seam but on the course never noticed it once.

Good review, Erock - thx. How does it feel? Supersoft, Gamersoft mid or Velocity firm?

#35 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
GolfWRX Likes : 759

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:09 PM

View PostTanner25, on 15 September 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Initial impressions:
Driver flight - as long as I put a good swing on it it held its line pretty well and launch and height were really good. Maybe even slightly higher than most Urethane balls I've tried (I need launch).
For the conditions (Soft with recent rain) and cooler (high 60's) distance was on par with what I'd expect with limited rollout.

Can't really comment on Feel off the putter As today was my first round with a different putter.  Distance control on lags was really good. Only 1 3 putt.

Good review, Erock - thx. How does it feel? Supersoft, Gamersoft mid or Velocity firm?

Iíd say mid.
Iíve never tried the Gamer or Velocity. Definitely not Supersoft Soft

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FGS+
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 20*/23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56* / Callaway Sure Out 60*/64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

#36 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

View Posterock9174, on 15 September 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 15 September 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Initial impressions:

I'd say mid.
I've never tried the Gamer or Velocity. Definitely not Supersoft Soft

thx

#37 flushem

flushem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

I tested new qst front 9 at local (private) club.  I liked it a lot;  soft, long off driver/hybrid, ton of spin off irons and decent roll off putter.  no sign of crazy side spin I experienced with the previous version.  I saw some baby draw and fade but not detrimental.

Green was very soft and moist so I tore off green even with pitch.  So I gotta play at my home course consisting hard & dry green.  I played Duo U in back 9 but did not notice any difference in two balls except distance off putter.  Duo U came short, resulted in 2 3-putts.  URGH!.
WWG1 WGA

#38 ProjectX

ProjectX

I can a hit lob wedge 150...but only from a greenside bunker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50236
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

I played 18 holes with the Q Star Tour on Monday. I really liked them. Soft feel, plenty of spin on full shots, hit a couple big bombs with the dirver, but I get much more spin in the short game with the KSig3. Based on my testing these are very similar balls with the KSig3 getting the leg up in both short game spin and price. I wouldn't mind playing one if I found it, but I won't be buying them in bulk anytime soon.
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* & 18* Diamana D+ LTD 90 TX
Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5 KBS Tour C Taper X
Mizuno MP 18 SC 6-9 KBS Tour C-Taper X
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46F, 50F, 54F & 60D KBS Tour C-Taper X
Evnroll ER5 Hatchback
Titleist Pro V1x...but testing every urethane ball on the market

#39 Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209807
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:16 PM

View PostProjectX, on 19 September 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

I played 18 holes with the Q Star Tour on Monday. I really liked them. Soft feel, plenty of spin on full shots, hit a couple big bombs with the dirver, but I get much more spin in the short game with the KSig3. Based on my testing these are very similar balls with the KSig3 getting the leg up in both short game spin and price. I wouldn't mind playing one if I found it, but I won't be buying them in bulk anytime soon.

Nice to know the K3 plays similar to the QST.  I really like the QST, switched over when the Gamer Softs became unavailable.  I did stock up on the QST when they were on sale at Academy for $11.49 a dozen.
Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
Ping DLX Cart Bag

#40 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostFrisco Kid, on 20 September 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

Nice to know the K3 plays similar to the QST.  I really like the QST, switched over when the Gamer Softs became unavailable.  I did stock up on the QST when they were on sale at Academy for $11.49 a dozen.

Frisco Kid,

I am in the same boat. Missing the gamersoft and looking to fill the void. How does the QST compare to the gamersoft? I suspect it has a little more bite on the greens.

Thx

Tanner

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209807
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostTanner25, on 20 September 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Frisco Kid,

I am in the same boat. Missing the gamersoft and looking to fill the void. How does the QST compare to the gamersoft? I suspect it has a little more bite on the greens.

Thx

Tanner

Hey Tanner...I actually prefer the QST to the GS.  The extra bite on the greens took a bit of adjustment but I like it.  The QST feels just a smidge softer off the irons and woods with no discernible difference in distance.  It is more muted off the putter but I like that as well since the insert of my Ping Sigma Tyne is a bit hard.

I was really happy to see they are both VERY long off the tee...it may be my imagination but it seems the urethane cover allows the ball to stick to the driver face keeping the ball straighter.  It could be utter nonsense but my drives are straighter...ymmv.

I still have 5 dozen GS left so Iíll use them after I burn through the 12 dozen QSTs a few years from now lol...

Regards
Joel

Edited by Frisco Kid, 20 September 2018 - 08:53 PM.

Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
Ping DLX Cart Bag

#42 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:42 AM

View PostFrisco Kid, on 20 September 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 20 September 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Frisco Kid,

Thx

Tanner

Hey Tanner...I actually prefer the QST to the GS.  The extra bite on the greens took a bit of adjustment but I like it.  The QST feels just a smidge softer off the irons and woods with no discernible difference in distance.  It is more muted off the putter but I like that as well since the insert of my Ping Sigma Tyne is a bit hard.

I was really happy to see they are both VERY long off the tee...it may be my imagination but it seems the urethane cover allows the ball to stick to the driver face keeping the ball straighter.  It could be utter nonsense but my drives are straighter...ymmv.

I still have 5 dozen GS left so I'll use them after I burn through the 12 dozen QSTs a few years from now lol...

Regards
Joel

Cool Joel. Hit em well!

#43 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

Played the new version today and I am completely impressed. My SS is around 103-105 and even though it is advertised for under 90 SS it performed perfectly.  Hit 2 drives on same hole , New QST and TP5X, couldn’t have hit either any better , same line and ended up 3 yards apart on same line.  Was surprised to see the QST ahead of the TP5X.

Biggest change from the original QST is these seem to have slightly higher trajectory and better wedge spin.  The fact they come in yellow is a bonus too!
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

#44 rjcejka

rjcejka

bbbc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174188
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

After 3-4 rounds with the QST I can definitely say the AVX, Pro V1 and Chrome Soft is a better ball for me.  Simply put the QST doesn't go as far.  (54 y.o., 7 hdcp, ss 99-103 driver Ping G30 w/ Accra Tour Z stiff) I'm consistently 255-260 yard drives with AVX/CS/Pro V1/TP 5 and 245-250 with the Q-star.  I felt the QST compressed well with irons and performed as well as any other ball. I use a O'works 7s which is soft and the QST made it feel softer which I like personally.  It definitely spins more than the AVX and Chrome Soft with my wedges (Calloway PM grind) which messed me up because it would hit, check and stop, I couldn't get it to hit, longer hop, check and stop.  Missing the longer hop always had me end up putting at least 4-6 feet further than normal.  After playing a few rounds and noticing all of this I went out for a few holes by myself and hit multiple AVX, QST and CS balls and I stick by my observations.  The QST isn't a bad ball, just not as good for me as others.  I paid $29 at Dicks for a dozen, a few weeks later I saw they had a 6 pack for $10 - I wish I only bought 6.

#45 TsarBomba

TsarBomba

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451602
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 422

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

View PostBreak81, on 21 September 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Played the new version today and I am completely impressed. My SS is around 103-105 and even though it is advertised for under 90 SS it performed perfectly.  Hit 2 drives on same hole , New QST and TP5X, couldnít have hit either any better , same line and ended up 3 yards apart on same line.  Was surprised to see the QST ahead of the TP5X.

Biggest change from the original QST is these seem to have slightly higher trajectory and better wedge spin.  The fact they come in yellow is a bonus too!

What is your tendency with the driver with regards to launch angle and spin?

#46 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

View PostTsarBomba, on 07 October 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 21 September 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Played the new version today and I am completely impressed. My SS is around 103-105 and even though it is advertised for under 90 SS it performed perfectly.  Hit 2 drives on same hole , New QST and TP5X, couldn’t have hit either any better , same line and ended up 3 yards apart on same line.  Was surprised to see the QST ahead of the TP5X.

What is your tendency with the driver with regards to launch angle and spin?
   I am usually mid-Flight and low spin with 103-105 Swing speed.  I would say my spin is usually in the 2200/2400 with a good strike.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

#47 pjerzy

pjerzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 509364
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Have played the previous versions of QST and enjoyed them. I am not out of my Tour B RX stock and decided to give the new ones a go. Picked up 4 of the performance 6 packs over the weekend for a deal. DSG had a 20% off total purchase with each pack being 10 (compared to the 30 for the dozen) which I ended up paying $34 for 2 dozen balls. Looking forward to getting the new version a hit. I am hoping they compare to the Tour B RX as I hate spending more than $40 for a dozen of balls that I will lose.

#48 hardcaliber

hardcaliber

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108001
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:08 AM

View Postpjerzy, on 08 October 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

Have played the previous versions of QST and enjoyed them. I am not out of my Tour B RX stock and decided to give the new ones a go. Picked up 4 of the performance 6 packs over the weekend for a deal. DSG had a 20% off total purchase with each pack being 10 (compared to the 30 for the dozen) which I ended up paying $34 for 2 dozen balls. Looking forward to getting the new version a hit. I am hoping they compare to the Tour B RX as I hate spending more than $40 for a dozen of balls that I will lose.

Please fill us in on your results.

I have the same exact dilemma. In the past I bit the bullet because I like the RX a lot better. There are a lot of deals out there on the RX that bring the average price much closer to the qstar tour. I usually end up paying 32-35 per dozen.

I would like to give the qstar tour another look if the new version indeed spins less and flies straighter than the old one. The RX is really straight off the tee for me and pretty long as well.

#49 pjerzy

pjerzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 509364
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

View Posthardcaliber, on 09 October 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

View Postpjerzy, on 08 October 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

Please fill us in on your results.

I have the same exact dilemma. In the past I bit the bullet because I like the RX a lot better. There are a lot of deals out there on the RX that bring the average price much closer to the qstar tour. I usually end up paying 32-35 per dozen.

I would like to give the qstar tour another look if the new version indeed spins less and flies straighter than the old one. The RX is really straight off the tee for me and pretty long as well.

I usually buy the RX off of Amazon and get them for around that same price, however it seems as if the white ones have stayed around the $40 price point on there lately.

I was able to get out yesterday for a quick 9 and played the QST and compared them to the Z star. The QST was softer than the Z Star as expected and was maybe a touch firmer than the RX but it was negligible. I've never been a high spin player so that part is difficult to comment on short pitches however full 9i to GW spun well and would spin back a foot or so. I suspect if it hadn't rained the past three days it would not have done that as the greens were extremely soft causing the ball to leave a pretty sizable divot.

I did not play well and just couldn't seem to get a decent swing on the ball the majority off the time so it was hard to judge flight path and roll out on anything over a 7i. It was indeed the Indian and not the arrow yesterday. The white color may be slightly brighter than others as I was able to find them among the leaves at the backyard course I was at. I will be giving these a more solid test as the fall goes on, but as of now they have not replaced the RX. Factoring in the price though and how the decent shots that I was able to put down reacted there is a good chance that these become a gamer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors