Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Just found my source of back pain...


114 replies to this topic

#1 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Hilts1969

Hilts1969

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378062
  • Joined: 05/28/2015
  • Location:Manchester
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

2

#3 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

 Hilts1969, on 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

I am awaiting further information. I don't know the severity of it yet. Holding out hope that the pain clinic has some tricks up their sleeves. At this point, I am open to anything.  Nerve block, physical therapy, meds (as long as they're not pain killers).  I had a successful run with prednisone earlier this year.  Made me feel 10 years younger.  The only downside is it's something that I guess you are not supposed to be on very long.  A week or two after I was done, my back went back to what it was before I started.  But, in those two weeks, my golf game was on point!
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

3

#4 Hilts1969

Hilts1969

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378062
  • Joined: 05/28/2015
  • Location:Manchester
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

 Hilts1969, on 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

I am awaiting further information. I don't know the severity of it yet. Holding out hope that the pain clinic has some tricks up their sleeves. At this point, I am open to anything.  Nerve block, physical therapy, meds (as long as they're not pain killers).  I had a successful run with prednisone earlier this year.  Made me feel 10 years younger.  The only downside is it's something that I guess you are not supposed to be on very long.  A week or two after I was done, my back went back to what it was before I started.  But, in those two weeks, my golf game was on point!

Fingers crossed for you mate I never knew you could get arthritis in your back.

4

#5 chippa13

chippa13

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
  • Joined: 09/04/2015
  • Location:NH
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:43 PM

Anywhere you've got bones and joints. My back has been junk for a while and staying relatively slim and active helps. I often cook with a little bit of cinnamon which helps with inflammation. The thing with most back and joint pain is counterintuitive, the more active you can be then the better you will feel.


5

#6 bdcava

bdcava

    bdcava

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90733
  • Joined: 08/04/2009
  • Location:Northern, NJ
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Read Dr. John Sarno. If you have an open mind there’s a good chance it will help if not completely eliminate your pain.

6

#7 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

 Hilts1969, on 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

I am awaiting further information. I don't know the severity of it yet. Holding out hope that the pain clinic has some tricks up their sleeves. At this point, I am open to anything.  Nerve block, physical therapy, meds (as long as they're not pain killers).  I had a successful run with prednisone earlier this year.  Made me feel 10 years younger.  The only downside is it's something that I guess you are not supposed to be on very long.  A week or two after I was done, my back went back to what it was before I started.  But, in those two weeks, my golf game was on point!

Yes, exercise caution with Glucocorticoids (Prednisone, Medrol, etc.)! A single tapered dosepack of Medrol is what led to me getting osteonecrosis in my hips, and subsequently having total hip replacement on my right hip at age 33.

Sorry to heard about the back issues. I've been trying to sort out some intermittent lower left back pain for close to a year now and back issues suck.

That's my PSA I give to anyone when they mention the doctor either recommending or prescribing steroids. The list of side effects is long and varying. I've had my medical files at my providers updated to indicate only administering steroids in a life saving situation.
-----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18°, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Posted Image  Posted Image

7

#8 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

 chippa13, on 30 August 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

Anywhere you've got bones and joints. My back has been junk for a while and staying relatively slim and active helps. I often cook with a little bit of cinnamon which helps with inflammation. The thing with most back and joint pain is counterintuitive, the more active you can be then the better you will feel.

Once I am up and moving for the day, it's not too terrible.  I keep stretching throughout the day which helps.  For instance, today I play after work, which seems to be my golf prime.  Once I get home and kick my feet up for a few minutes, I can almost feel it slowly stiffen up.  Any early morning rounds seem to start off with a struggle for about 2-3 holes before I fall into a rhythm and the back loosens up.  As I said before, I already have it in the ball of my right foot.  I am already taking Diclofinac, but lately it doesn't seem to be helping my back a whole heck of a lot.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

8

#9 augustgolf

augustgolf

    Golf with dignity

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
  • Location:Coastal NC
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3966

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

I've suffered with arthritis for almost 40 years. Was first diagnosed when I was 13, and had a very great growth spurt. Following the usual injuries from sports in high school, and throughout working, here is what I have found.

Sitting  improperly is MY major cause of back pain. An Inversion table is a great item to have, as it allows for decompression of the back. No meds.

If/when I find myself hurting a lot (I guess I've become kind of accepting of the "normal" pain I am in every day) I follow this advice. 2 acetominophen & 2 ibuprofen. Had this suggested after I had a couple of root canals, and even tho the Dr gave me a script for oxy, I took only what he suggested, and only needed it one time. But...the advice has stayed with me for many years.

I take 1 single aspirin around dinner time (numerous reason, and I don't have any digestive issues) and that is about it.

But, if I am really hurting, it is the tylenol/advil regimen (of course, I take generics) The caution is to take no more than 4000 mg of acetominiophen inj a 24 hour period, as it id broken down in the liver. Exceeding that amount will cause a shutdown of the liver.

This is why you need to read the label and instructions of EVERY medication you take, whether it is a prescription or an OTC cold remedy, as most of those have acetominophen in them.

Hope that this helps you with what you are facing. Always, diet is very important. Exercise, as stated above.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions/comments.
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

9

#10 JDFish

JDFish

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Joined: 08/03/2011
  • Location:Pickerington, Ohio
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:06 PM

 bdcava, on 30 August 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Read Dr. John Sarno. If you have an open mind there’s a good chance it will help if not completely eliminate your pain.

Sarno's book may offer some help.  Though I got far more benefit from The Back Mechanic by Dr. Stuart McGill.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 trilerian

trilerian

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429334
  • Joined: 06/16/2016
  • Location:Mishawaka IN
  • Handicap:13.1
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

I am still pretty new to the back arthritis group.  Got diagnosed about 4 years ago when I went in for a herniated disc, which eventually led to a microdiscectomy at L5S1.  Generally speaking it is worse in the morning and I loath morning tee times because of it, but generally I am loosened up after a couple of holes.  I take 500 mg of naproxen every morning and get kidney function tests every year at my physicals.  I recommend a good stretching routine in the mornings.  Don't sleep on your stomach, if you sleep on your side sleep with something between your legs, like a pillow, and if you sleep on your back, don't sleep with your legs straight, try to keep a slight bend in them.  I do find that walking is much better for me than riding, because I am able to constantly move.  On the really slow days when you have to wait at every tee box, try not to sit down on the benches.  After back surgery I bought a clic gear and haven't looked back.  I walk over 100 rounds a year.

11

#12 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

 trilerian, on 30 August 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

I am still pretty new to the back arthritis group.  Got diagnosed about 4 years ago when I went in for a herniated disc, which eventually led to a microdiscectomy at L5S1.  Generally speaking it is worse in the morning and I loath morning tee times because of it, but generally I am loosened up after a couple of holes.  I take 500 mg of naproxen every morning and get kidney function tests every year at my physicals.  I recommend a good stretching routine in the mornings.  Don't sleep on your stomach, if you sleep on your side sleep with something between your legs, like a pillow, and if you sleep on your back, don't sleep with your legs straight, try to keep a slight bend in them.  I do find that walking is much better for me than riding, because I am able to constantly move.  On the really slow days when you have to wait at every tee box, try not to sit down on the benches.  After back surgery I bought a clic gear and haven't looked back.  I walk over 100 rounds a year.

This X1000.  Walking makes a huge difference for me.  Everyone wants to ride it seems these days.  I have gotten better about walking when at all possible.  But, the double edge sword for me is it really aggravates the arthritis in my foot at times.  Finding a good balance is key.  

I have been using a heating pad on a regular basis for the last year as well.  I find that I can wake up in the morning, without getting out of bed, put the heating pad on for 15-20 minutes then get up and do some stretching.  

Sleeping in the most opportunistic position is hard for me.  As I dose off, I find myself switching over to my side and then onto my stomach.  I have been trying to lay on my back with a pillow folded up under my knees as I find that to be a pretty neutral position.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

12

#13 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

 ddetts, on 30 August 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

 Hilts1969, on 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

I am awaiting further information. I don't know the severity of it yet. Holding out hope that the pain clinic has some tricks up their sleeves. At this point, I am open to anything.  Nerve block, physical therapy, meds (as long as they're not pain killers).  I had a successful run with prednisone earlier this year.  Made me feel 10 years younger.  The only downside is it's something that I guess you are not supposed to be on very long.  A week or two after I was done, my back went back to what it was before I started.  But, in those two weeks, my golf game was on point!

Yes, exercise caution with Glucocorticoids (Prednisone, Medrol, etc.)! A single tapered dosepack of Medrol is what led to me getting osteonecrosis in my hips, and subsequently having total hip replacement on my right hip at age 33.

Sorry to heard about the back issues. I've been trying to sort out some intermittent lower left back pain for close to a year now and back issues suck.

That's my PSA I give to anyone when they mention the doctor either recommending or prescribing steroids. The list of side effects is long and varying. I've had my medical files at my providers updated to indicate only administering steroids in a life saving situation.

It can be pretty scary stuff.  I was all about it until I talked to my regular dr about it.  The prescription was from a walk in.  He said a single tapered dose was alright, but straight up refused to consider putting me on it for any length of time.  He's a good doc at an independent clinic.  Gives it to you straight.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

13

#14 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

 ddetts, on 30 August 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

 Hilts1969, on 30 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Sorry to hear that mate I have had a bad back for 3 years put it down to driving job, golf guitar and gym. My lower back is either sore or after golf goes like concrete. Sometimes when I wake up breathing is painful like the expansion of air in my core is pushing on something

I am awaiting further information. I don't know the severity of it yet. Holding out hope that the pain clinic has some tricks up their sleeves. At this point, I am open to anything.  Nerve block, physical therapy, meds (as long as they're not pain killers).  I had a successful run with prednisone earlier this year.  Made me feel 10 years younger.  The only downside is it's something that I guess you are not supposed to be on very long.  A week or two after I was done, my back went back to what it was before I started.  But, in those two weeks, my golf game was on point!

Yes, exercise caution with Glucocorticoids (Prednisone, Medrol, etc.)! A single tapered dosepack of Medrol is what led to me getting osteonecrosis in my hips, and subsequently having total hip replacement on my right hip at age 33.

Sorry to heard about the back issues. I've been trying to sort out some intermittent lower left back pain for close to a year now and back issues suck.

That's my PSA I give to anyone when they mention the doctor either recommending or prescribing steroids. The list of side effects is long and varying. I've had my medical files at my providers updated to indicate only administering steroids in a life saving situation.

It can be pretty scary stuff.  I was all about it until I talked to my regular dr about it.  The prescription was from a walk in.  He said a single tapered dose was alright, but straight up refused to consider putting me on it for any length of time.  He's a good doc at an independent clinic.  Gives it to you straight.

Yeah, the Medrol was prescribed to me by an ortho doc after reviewed x-rays of my neck and thought I had a couple bulging discs. Wish I would've done my homework and not taken it, but I blindly took the 6-day tapered dosepack of Medrol along with Meloxicam. Hindsight, as they say...
-----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18°, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Posted Image  Posted Image

14

#15 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

 ddetts, on 30 August 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:


Yeah, the Medrol was prescribed to me by an ortho doc after reviewed x-rays of my neck and thought I had a couple bulging discs. Wish I would've done my homework and not taken it, but I blindly took the 6-day tapered dosepack of Medrol along with Meloxicam. Hindsight, as they say...

It sucks to be relatively young yet and deal with what I once thought were issues reserved for those more advanced in age.  But, at the end of the day, it could be worse.  Still able to play the game.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

15

#16 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

 radiman, on 30 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

 ddetts, on 30 August 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Yeah, the Medrol was prescribed to me by an ortho doc after reviewed x-rays of my neck and thought I had a couple bulging discs. Wish I would've done my homework and not taken it, but I blindly took the 6-day tapered dosepack of Medrol along with Meloxicam. Hindsight, as they say...

It sucks to be relatively young yet and deal with what I once thought were issues reserved for those more advanced in age.  But, at the end of the day, it could be worse.  Still able to play the game.

I hear ya, never thought I'd have a hip replacement in my early 30s. Thankfully that hasn't really impacted my golf game other than the time away from golf recovering from surgeries. The intermittent neck and/or back pain is more of a bummer for sure.
-----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18°, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Posted Image  Posted Image

16

#17 Climbingak

Climbingak

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443546
  • Joined: 10/14/2016
  • Location:Frisco, Tx
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

This diagnoses is not as bad as it may feel to you right now. Although you are relatively young for this, arthritis in the facet joints of your back is almost a normal finding for most people as they age. It may not even be the cause of your back pain. Regardless, know that this can be treated quite successfully and conservatively.

Strengthening and flexibility are the keys to helping your pain. I love a DVD called “Foundations”, but anything that accomplished this will be helpful. The pain clinic is likely to offer you facet blocks, median nerve blocks, and/or RF ablation. These can all be helpful for some people. The key is this is pain “management”. There are a lot of people willing to take your money out there. You have to find what works for you as far as managing your situation and what activities you want to do.

Stuart McGill as mentioned above is an expert on spines and what causes pain. He has his big three exercises. They work well. Luckily, back pain like this is usually a problem for the 40s and 50s aged people. Usually we lose enough flexibility where things start to become more stable and not hurt as badly.  Obviously not for everybody

Edited by Climbingak, 30 August 2018 - 05:56 PM.


17

#18 chaparral

chaparral

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502942
  • Joined: 05/27/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

I had multiple MRIs because of back pain. Reading the report was scary until I found it all it really means is arthritis, but nothing that would require surgery.

What helps somewhat is Pilates, yoga, weights and walking. It's just really stretching, flexibility and core strengthening. But the best thing was getting a series of epidurals. They reduce the inflammation which relieves the pressure on the nerves. There was no relief after the first one, some after the second and about 80% relief after the third. They are painless injections because they knock you out for about 15 minutes. It's unknown how long the pain relief will last, but they will repeat the injections in 6 months if needed.



Edited by chaparral, 30 August 2018 - 07:23 PM.


18

#19 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
GolfWRX Likes : 10325

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

I don't have back pain, but have been in some degree of pain for the last year and a half. Won't say I haven't occasionally taken the prescribed pain meds to deal with it and been perfectly content to do so. Really screwed up golf as it robbed some distance at times and made me feel like a had a different swing every time I teed it up. But, it could have been worse. I could have been stuck lying in bed all day (as I was at first), but I adjusted my mindset to accept a certain degree of daily pain and accept that some amount of hurt was my new normal. Sucked it up and moved forward.
Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Mizuno JPX 900 15/Fujikura Speeder 661s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

19

#20 BiggErn

BiggErn

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
  • Joined: 08/17/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

I had progressive back and leg pain for years and had an MRI last year. It came back clean as a whistle. They suggested PT and put me on tramadol for pain. Had a bad flare up about 8 months ago and went back to my family doctor who sent me to see a pain management physician. I just saw him last week (took 7 months to get in!). We came to the conclusion that maybe it was 2 separate issues. My pain gets worse the more I stand or walk. He diagnosed my leg pain, burning, stabbing, numbness, tingling as meralgia paresthetica and prescribed a low dose of Lyrica. Gonna do more PT for my back.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 30 August 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

I don't have back pain, but have been in some degree of pain for the last year and a half. Won't say I haven't occasionally taken the prescribed pain meds to deal with it and been perfectly content to do so. Really screwed up golf as it robbed some distance at times and made me feel like a had a different swing every time I teed it up. But, it could have been worse. I could have been stuck lying in bed all day (as I was at first), but I adjusted my mindset to accept a certain degree of daily pain and accept that some amount of hurt was my new normal. Sucked it up and moved forward.

I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't take pain meds. I'm not to the point where it's necessary. I think they have their place, just not for me yet.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

21

#22 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Joined: 02/13/2016
  • Location:New Orleans
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

New bed.
More expensive not always better.
Get one from a place that will allow a return or swap.
Stay away from roadside mattress mart places bc their policies are stilted. Think costco or internet easy returns.
$1k could change your life.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

22

#23 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
  • Joined: 04/02/2008
  • Location:Baltimore, Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

My father developed arthritis in his hips and knees a long time ago. A friend of his told him to eat gin soaked golden raisins everyday. He tried it and swears it helped. I have no idea how. Maybe just a placebo effect. Who knows, but I'll try anything to avoid surgery and prescription meds.

http://www.foxnews.c...viate-pain.html

Interesting read about it.

Edited by rainkingjr, 30 August 2018 - 09:26 PM.


23

#24 Golfjack

Golfjack

    Where's the distance gone?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Joined: 03/19/2013
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Sorry to hear this OP.  I do remember seeing on a TV show about how a patient with debilitating arthritis was able to manage it a little better with a proper diet geared towards reducing inflammation etc.  Looking at your profile pic obviously you are not overweight (and have great flexibility) or anything so maybe just improve your diet to make things better holistically.  

Also get some Adidas golf shoes with boost.  They are just so comfy!  Good for your foot and all.
TM M4 Driver 10.5
TM M4 3 wood 16
4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

24

#25 BB28403

BB28403

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
  • Joined: 04/06/2015
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:01 AM

There is a supplement called Protandim NSRF2 (haven't tried the nsrf1 yet).  It has turmeric, black pepper and other good things.  It is like taking a 8 hour ibuprofen but no side effects.  Ibuprofen in people over 45 prob isn't recommended.  There is evidence it causes bad issues in long term use in 45 and up.

Edited by BB28403, 31 August 2018 - 01:05 AM.


25

#26 golfarb1

golfarb1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 509970
  • Joined: 08/14/2018
  • Location:Bay area
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostBB28403, on 31 August 2018 - 01:01 AM, said:

There is a supplement called Protandim NSRF2 (haven't tried the nsrf1 yet).  It has turmeric, black pepper and other good things.  It is like taking a 8 hour ibuprofen but no side effects.  Ibuprofen in people over 45 prob isn't recommended.  There is evidence it causes bad issues in long term use in 45 and up.
The problem with taking tumeric supplements is that few have a high amount of bioavailable curcumin.And high doses of tumeric can act as a blood thinner and should be avoided if you are already on blood thinners.
CBD oil has shown promise in a number of studies.
In Cal,all you have to do is to order it online and it will be delivered.

I keep on getting ads for the "pelvic clock" for lower back pain.Has anyone had any experience with this?

Edited by golfarb1, 31 August 2018 - 01:55 AM.


26

#27 stickner

stickner

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409286
  • Joined: 01/19/2016
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

View Postradiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

27

#28 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

View Poststickner, on 31 August 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

View Postradiman, on 30 August 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years.  I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core.  That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while.  But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness.  Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit.  I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up.  That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him.  He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on.  Just got the call.  I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae.  What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess.  I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better.  At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse.  While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness.  I always hoped things would improve.  Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now.  My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days.  On the bad days, I just don't play.  I have a referral to a pain clinic.  I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route.  I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion.  My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.  

Anyone else have any experience in this realm?  Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be.  I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

6'2"  hover between 195-205 depending on time of year.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

28

#29 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

View PostBB28403, on 31 August 2018 - 01:01 AM, said:

There is a supplement called Protandim NSRF2 (haven't tried the nsrf1 yet).  It has turmeric, black pepper and other good things.  It is like taking a 8 hour ibuprofen but no side effects.  Ibuprofen in people over 45 prob isn't recommended.  There is evidence it causes bad issues in long term use in 45 and up.

I think my sister was big on Protandim for a while.  She is one that embraces a lot of supplements over medications.  I am open to anything.  I am hoping this pain dr. has some non-medicated suggestions for me.  Wouldn't mind getting some physical therapy or a list of recommended supplements.  I already take a prescription NSAID, so I don't want to put too much more stress on my body.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

29

#30 torbill

torbill

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107208
  • Joined: 05/01/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

If you are the person in your avatar and you keep that swing and you keep telling yourself that your game is distance your problems are just beginning.

The kind of arthritis that you have is typically a wear-and-tear phenomenon, and the spine is a normal place to get it.  Some have it worse, some not so much.  So, there is nothing abnormal about having arthritis in the spine.  What is abnormal is having it so bad at your young age, and this should be a real wake up call.  Any orthopedist in his/her right mind would take one look at your avatar and cringe at what that spine is experiencing.  

I am 74 years old.  I play to a five handicap.  Distance is not a problem.  It has never been a problem.  Anybody who is playing on a normal golf course can be a scratch player - from a pure distance standpoint - if he can hit it 230-250.  Obsession with distance is not justified for most golf courses.  Find a swing that is back-sparing and gives you sufficient distance to continue to be a good player, and start thinking about making the other aspects of your game more competitive.  Golf is the most wonderful game ever invented, and there is great satisfaction in getting really good at all aspects.  You give me a stroke and I’ll play you any day of the week, grin.

I hurt my back with a swing based on hard rotation.  I had to either change or quit; I once lost a year(!) with back problems.  I now use the Ballard method, and it is much better for my back.  Other people have found that the Brian Sparks method is back-sparing.  Ballard is based on weight shift without hard rotation.  Sparks is based on allowing the hips to fully turn.

I like your idea of strengthening your core muscles.  With arthritis you also want to promote flexibility and range of movement, so stretches would be excellent.  I walk the golf course, and I think that helps a lot.  I also get an earlier start on golf days than I used to, and take time to stretch and swing a golf club in my family room.  This loosens things up. These are the key things that have kept me in the game.  My back is high miles, for sure, and it far from perfect, but I have found ways to maintain, and I think that it is good for the duration as long as I stick to what I know works.  You will have to experiment and find your way.

Prednisone is a great drug for short term problems.  Continuous use of prednisone can have terrible adverse effects, and there are many.  One example: it will thin the intestines, setting one up for a perforated bowel, sepsis, and possible death.  So, be very careful with it and use it mostly as a last resort.

I use medical marijuana regularly, at bedtime, and it seems to help quite a lot with my ongoing aches and pains.  It builds up in the fatty tissues over time, and I think that it helps me all day long. YMMV.  I also use ibuprofen when I play golf.  I consider MM to be safer than opioids and ibuprofen and I would use it on the golf course, but I absolutely hate the head effect during the day.  I did use Tramadol on the golf course, which is a synthetic opioid, for a long time and I think that it is reasonably safe with limited use.  We don’t want to have to play with heavy pain, for sure.

I hope that I have given you some useful thoughts. Good luck, my friend!!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors