Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

WHAT'S YOUR HIDDEN GEM? Submit your favorite "hidden gem" golf courses (less than $50)

160 replies to this topic

#151 tarv

tarv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456212
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Old Fort Golf Club
Murfreesboro, TN
$47 with a cart on weekends during peak season
https://www.oldfortg...-fort-golf-club

Best municipal course I have ever come across. The course flyover is included in the link above. Pace of play is definitely an issue but its still worth it!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 stevopagolf

stevopagolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4153
  • Ebay ID:stevopagolf
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostRedstorm2011, on 02 December 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Course Name: Hominy Hill Golf Course
City, State: Colts Neck, NJ
Price Range: $30-45 Residents (Over $50 for Non-Residents)
Course Website:
http://www.hominyhill.com / https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com
​Brief Description: For a course that's part of a county park system, its meticulously maintained with fast greens but also provides penalizing rough. It's designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr. and is just a classic beautiful parkland design. There's no "gimmicky" holes and a great course to walk. It's an absolute steal for residents but still worth the price for non-residents. It may not be a hidden gem for golfers in New Jersey, but probably is for anyone outside the state considering its location in the suburbs and away from the most popular tourist areas in the state.
I agree and it is well maintained.  I make it a priority to play it every year and I am a non resident!  Great track.

#153 Chanceman

Chanceman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

Northwood CA in the Russian River area designed by the Good Doctor and a true gem but only 9h.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3374.JPG

#154 Kyle M

Kyle M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33100
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

I have to disagree with this recent installment of Harvest Hill having the best set of par 5 holes in New York, both public and private. That is a pretty significant statement to make.  It certainly is not the best set of par 5 golf holes in this area, at least in my humble opinion. While I do like the golf course, good luck playing in under 5 1/2 hours on a weekend. It just is not happening.

#155 Chrischo555

Chrischo555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 522720
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

In my opinion, The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course is one of the best public golf courses in the Chicagoland area. It's a great links style course with a decent amount of slope (which is almost impossible to find in Chicago). From the back tees, there are par 4s ranging from 310 yards to 470 (with a 260-270yd forced carry) and par 3s ranging from 140-240. The greens are also very fun as they have a nice amount of undulation and are well maintained. In my experience there, the greens usually run at about a 10 on the stimp.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4631.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 2.50.38 PM.png

Edited by Chrischo555, 12 February 2019 - 03:58 PM.

#156 Austincountyag

Austincountyag

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397602
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:12 PM

you folk in the NE and east coast should count your blessings. Here in TX their are hardly any hidden gems. Either $$$ gems, or trashy hidden. Hardly any in between except for a select few.

#157 Austincountyag

Austincountyag

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397602
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:22 PM

• Course Name: ColoVista Golf Club
  • City, State: Bastrop, TX
  • Price Range: $25-$50 ($50 being weekend morning)
  • Course Website: http://www.colovista...agolf/index.htm
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):
  • The course is usually in decent to great shape and for the price it is very hard to beat in the greater Austin area. The front nine is a links type of layout, while the back nine provides dramatic elevation changes as the holes wind through pine trees along the Colorado River.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#158 PNB_Golf

PNB_Golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 523334
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:PNB_Golf

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

View Postsmashdn, on 08 October 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

• Course Name: The Course at Sewanee
  • City, State: Sewanee, TN
  • Price Range: $41 on weekends
  • Course Website: http://www.thecourseatsewanee.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Renovated by Gil Hanse's Team in 2013.  Just a fun course to play.  It is on top of Monteagle Mountain and so it stays a little cooler up there than in the valley below.  (Guy in pro-shop said about 8* cooler is a good rule of thumb.)  It is only nine holes but is worth going around a second time.  It is only about twenty minutes from Sweeten's Cove as well.  You can play your early nine at Sweeten's then go up the mountain to play the nine at Sewanee to beat the afternoon heat.  The view from #3 green is pretty awesome.  Very walkable course despite being on a mountain.
Completely agree with this one. It definitely gets overlooked with Sweetens being so close. They are probably the best duo of 9 hole courses in the country.

#159 PNB_Golf

PNB_Golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 523334
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:PNB_Golf

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostWillstuart2328, on 10 September 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

• Highlands Park
  • Birmingham, AL
  • $30-$50
  • https://www.highlandparkgolf.com/home/
  • Fun course to play in Birmingham.  Great views of the city on several holes.  Some challenging holes but some easy short par 4's to offset.  Great price to get some solid conditions and generally pure rolling bentgrass greens.  For the price you will not find a better spot in Bham - especially considering proximity to everything downtown/five points area.
Attachment highzer.JPG
Attachment highlands 3.png
Attachment highlands 1.jpg
Attachment High 5.JPG
Attachment High 3e.JPG
Attachment High 44.JPG
+1 for this one. It can get busy but one of the best values in Birmingham aside from a late twilight tee time at Oxmoor Valley

#160 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

conorgolf22, on 26 November 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

• Course Name: Lick Creek Golf Course
  • City, State: Pekin, IL
  • Price Range: $18-$30
  • Course Website: http://www.lickcreekgolfcourse.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!)When I think of a hidden gem that I have played, I automatically think of Lick Creek.  I was lucky enough to play a few high school tournaments at this course and it is the real deal.  Bent grass fairways, a mix of open and tree lined holes, great hole shaping and it was always in good shape when I played it.  It has a 3 hole stretch (5-7) that is called "The Devil's Triangle".  It is owned and operated by the local park district.  Totally unassuming and a great course.  I wish it was closer to me

Whenever I make it back home I always want to go play Lick, but my dad never does because itís so hard for him now. Must be nightmares he had back in HS playing there. I still havenít played it since they transitioned everything to bent, had to have been 15 years ago.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#161 projocklooper

projocklooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 522532
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostAustincountyag, on 13 February 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

you folk in the NE and east coast should count your blessings. Here in TX their are hardly any hidden gems. Either $$$ gems, or trashy hidden. Hardly any in between except for a select few.

I do believe me, I travel for work around the country but NE/Mid Atlantic does have some of the best courses. Cheers

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors