Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Potential Haig Ultra oddity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmumf

dmumf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440836
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

Gentlemen,

I just picked up a set of Haig Ultras (shown in pictures with darker green background), and upon closer inspection, they appear to be somewhat unusual.   For reference, I have included three photos from the Ironfinder.com website.

The logos on the back of my clubs would suggest that they are from either '71 or '72.  However, the face of the clubs do not have any markings at the end of the scoring lines, and the toe is much more squared off.

The '73 / '74 versions (last photo on right) don't seem to be a match either, as they have a different W/H logo (circle around the logo).

The clubs have Precision Rifle 5.5 shafts, and plain black ferrules.  My assumption is that this is the result of a re-shaft at some point along the way.  There are no other markings on the clubs, and no serial numbers.

The only thing I can figure is that they were a custom grind.  Does that sound like a safe bet?  If so, does anyone have information about the Haig custom shop?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3321.jpg
  • IMG_3325.jpg
  • 054114A 2.jpg
  • 054114B 2.jpg
  • 031050A.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 5691

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

A reshaft, no doubt.  The black ferrules are not original, along with the shaft.

The clubs look like they have been professionally restored.  Maybe, the face end marks were eliminated when resurfacing took place.  Would be the only answer.

I believe the serial numbers were on the original black, gold stripe ferrules.

Very nice clubs.  They should play as well as anything newer.

Enjoy.

#3 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1894

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

dmumf-

How many irons?  What were original shafts? Steel or Al? Reshafted with Precision FM 5.5 shafts?  HS Golfer?   Lots of work done here.

These might have been a set of "combos". Could tell more if you had the Reg Nos, which were located on the ferrules, but long gone.

'72 Walter Hagen "W/H" shield Haig Ultra irons on back pad, but faces look like  '73/'74 "W/H" shield in circle Haig Ultras with square toe.

Note- scoring lines without <(   )> frames were found in the '73/74 Haig Ultra model.

Though these have the drill thru hosel, Also note the absence of the "Fluid Feel" stamp.

A very solid and underrated forged iron.

PS- Nice ball mark pattern in the higher lofted iron.

#4 sbboudreau

sbboudreau

FORE RIGHT!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326957
  • Handicap:25
  • Ebay ID:sbboudreau61
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

View Postdmumf, on 28 August 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Gentlemen,

I just picked up a set of Haig Ultras (shown in pictures with darker green background), and upon closer inspection, they appear to be somewhat unusual.   For reference, I have included three photos from the Ironfinder.com website.

The logos on the back of my clubs would suggest that they are from either '71 or '72.  However, the face of the clubs do not have any markings at the end of the scoring lines, and the toe is much more squared off.

The '73 / '74 versions (last photo on right) don't seem to be a match either, as they have a different W/H logo (circle around the logo).

The clubs have Precision Rifle 5.5 shafts, and plain black ferrules.  My assumption is that this is the result of a re-shaft at some point along the way.  There are no other markings on the clubs, and no serial numbers.

The only thing I can figure is that they were a custom grind.  Does that sound like a safe bet?  If so, does anyone have information about the Haig custom shop?  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Now I like the looks of these irons.
(8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
Go To Set
07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway

#5 dmumf

dmumf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440836
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:37 PM

Thank you all for the responses.  

Rex235, per your questions, I should have offered more information in my earlier post.  This is a complete set - 2 through PW.  The clubs pictured are 5, 7, and PW.  Others are in similar condition, and all are clearly from the same set as they share stampings, head shape, etc...

Unfortunately, I don't have any other history about the clubs.  I had been looking for a set of Haigs for a while, and found these on eBay a few weeks ago.  They looked to be in good shape, and were very reasonably priced.  When they arrived, I was amazed at what good condition they were in.  I have taken them to the range twice, and really like the way they feel - very solid.  Interestingly, the clubs are somewhat longer than modern standard.  For reference, they are .5" longer than my "everyday" set of Ping S59's.  

It seems that whoever owned them previously took good care of them, and whatever work was done (re-shafting, etc...) was done professionally.

#6 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1894

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

Dmumf-

All you need is a Walter Hagen Haig Ultra Sand Iron from these years.

These were sleeper clubs, coveted by PGA Tour Pros almost as much as Wilson Staff Dynapower SWs.  

The W/H Ultradyne "Buttonback" forged models were also rare.... "RH Only" rare.

Edited by rex235, 30 August 2018 - 10:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors