Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A high handicap, slow swing speed golfers observations on golf balls.

30 replies to this topic

#1 bwhitish

bwhitish

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3255
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:00 AM

I am a 20 handicap who drives it about 200-210. I hit a 6 iron from 150. For the last few years I have been using the Callaway Super Soft.I got my only hole in one with it. Prior I used the Bridgestone E6 for about 4 years. This year I decided to try a urethane ball. Played a box of Srixon Q-Star Tours. Also got a sleeve of Pro V1's at a course with our round. I have been using one Pro V1 for two rounds now and broke 90 both times which is great for me. It does feel harder to me than the Super Soft or Q-Star Tour. I hit a very high ball so I have been able to stop my Super Softs very close to the ball marks. I am still not sure if the urethane balls really helped my game that much, but I have not lost any distance or sliced or hooked the ball any more than surlyn covered balls. So still undecided, but the more I play with it, the more I really like the Pro V1. Did this help anybody? Probably not because I am still very undecided. I did back the Pro V1 up about a foot on a 9 iron shot to a par three that I parred. I like the feel of the Pro V1 better than the Q-Star Tour, which I did not expect. Now I am going to order some Snell Blacks and continue the experiment. I have putted better than normal with the Pro V1 as well. Unfortunately I am way too inconsistent to really make valid comparisons.

Ping 9.5 K15 with Serrano R
Ping K15 3 Wood Stock R
Ping G15 20 Stock R
Ping G15 4-UW AWT R
Ping Tour S 56 KBS Tour S
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ghoul31

ghoul31

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278131
  • Ebay ID:ghoul311
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:15 AM

I can get softfli's for $8, so I'm not going to pay $48 for pro v1's
The ball I use doesn't seem to affect my score

#3 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:58 AM

If you stop your approach shots OK with lower spin balls and you don’t attempt to play “low spinner” shots astound the green then you aren’t really needing the main advantages of Urethane balls. That said, as you have noted, off the tee with a driver the Surlyn balls are NOT going to help slices and hooks, that’s a myth.

So for you it comes down to feel, preference and cost. Doesn’t seem like the ball construction matters as much as it does for those of us who need more spin to keep a 150-yard approach on the green. I hit my clubs about the same distances as you and anything longer than an 8/9 iron tends to run out a lot with a SuperSoft type ball because my course has extremely firm greens most of the time.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#4 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:20 AM

High handicap and slow speeder, too. I was sucked into the very soft balls craze. Softfli, SS etc. Then experimented with Zstars and thought the green side spin was cool. Then I saw the balls check up too soon. Two piece soft balls are too soft now for my liking. Now, I am going with a 3 piece surlyn ball, which has a nice mid soft feel and low-mid priced. The best ball in this category is the Gamersoft. No one seems to know if it is coming back. I'll try the E6 soft if the GS is gone.

Edited by Tanner25, 25 August 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#5 ghoul31

ghoul31

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278131
  • Ebay ID:ghoul311
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 25 August 2018 - 05:58 AM, said:

. I hit my clubs about the same distances as you and anything longer than an 8/9 iron tends to run out a lot with a SuperSoft type ball because my course has extremely firm greens most of the time.

I replaced my 4 through 7 irons with woods.. They are easier to hit, and make the balls fly high and land soft on the greens

Edited by ghoul31, 25 August 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#6 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Another example of play what works best for you. Thats whats fun about the gane. So many options.

#7 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1483

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

My dad loved Pro V1s. He had a bad ankle/leg that kept him from having anything close to a great swing. But that ball matched what he was looking for in a ball. Never bought new but blemish balls. Loved that man and I miss him today and his like for Pro V1s.
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
6-GW Titleist AP1s
53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
58 degree SW Vokey SM6
Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

#8 msg

msg

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311243
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

I am a 8 handicapper and average swing speed at 90 - 95. I have tried Pro V1's and TP5's in the past. I liked them but I cannot justify the price. I usually play Supersofts and Chrome Softs. I usually buy used golf balls online. I am cheap, I know.

Off the driver, I cannot see any difference. Off irons, not a lot. Off my wedges and 100 yards in and around the green, there is where I can see the difference. The urethane golf balls do spin more. Sure it does help me control my shots around the green and make the ball stop on a dime. But I have also recorded my lowest scores in my life using a Supersoft and sometimes, the beat up and used ones.

A few days ago we played a very hard course but a beautiful one. So many OB's and hazards so the el cheapo in me, brought my Supersoft's to the game. Well I shot 50 the front 9, thanks to the trees and the deep forest. The back 9 I shot -1. Again I just used my Supersofts. Greens were soft though, so the approach shots did stick a lot. But even on dried up greens, my Supersofts can hold them with no problem.

Try what works for you. What may work for us may not work for you. For me, going forward, I'll stick with my two piece golf balls.

#9 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2126

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

I am a 9 handicap, used to be 6.  I hit the ball pretty straight, and I don't lose many balls.  I tried the AVX and like it; I was playing Pro V1x last year along with NXT Tour in softer conditions.  

I might buy some Srixon Soft Feel for the Fall - hopefully that El Nino thing works out and i can play in November and December like I did a few years ago.

I also need to try the TP5.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

#10 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

I only buy ProVs or ProVx when I get gift money so I'm playing free balls with those. Otherwise, I'm buying cut rate premiums and, when the day turns south, cut rate mid-range balls come into play.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 uitar9

uitar9

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

Play the wilson duo. I'm a 20. If I hit it well, it's a fine ball and the price isn't bad. Usually I can find 3 dozen for $48. Plus it comes in orange for  spring and fall. lol
WITB
KZG OS11 12 degree driver
Calloway 16 5-wood
Calloway
20.5 heavenwood
Cobra 24.5 9-wood

KZG 5-PW irons
KZG 52 and 56 wedges
TM Spider mallet

#12 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Similar speed was using Callaway super soft and hot 70 but now ive switched to the Cut 3 piece surly, goes straighter and about 5 yards farther for me. I cut the trial pack and liked them the best. They are $20 a dozen.

Edited by johnnythunders, 26 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

2019bag
Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 3 stiff
Mizuno jpx 900 4/7 fw
hybrids Rogue 5x, rogue 6
Cobra F7 one length 6-gw, king one black SW
Odyssey 3t blackout or Taylormade Copper Mullen
Callaway Super Soft and Cut 3 os surlyn /backup driver Big Bertha Fusion 9 Diamana stiff r series

#13 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

View Postjohnnythunders, on 26 August 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Similar speed was using Callaway super soft and hot 70 but now ive switched to the Cut 3 piece surly, goes straighter and about 5 yards farther for me. I cut the trial pack and liked them the best. They are $20 a dozen.

Cut White? How do they feel? mid soft or firm?

#14 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostTanner25, on 27 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

Cut White? How do they feel? mid soft or firm?

They were the white and were 14.95 which is a deal, they felt firm. Not soft like Callaway got used to them in a few holes.
2019bag
Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 3 stiff
Mizuno jpx 900 4/7 fw
hybrids Rogue 5x, rogue 6
Cobra F7 one length 6-gw, king one black SW
Odyssey 3t blackout or Taylormade Copper Mullen
Callaway Super Soft and Cut 3 os surlyn /backup driver Big Bertha Fusion 9 Diamana stiff r series

#15 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:00 AM

I swing similar 90ish with driver. 9-11 cap depending on the day.  
Iíve always played 2pc low compression balls like the Supersoft and Soft Feel. Shot decent scores with them.  

This season I wanted to give Urethane a try. Right now Iím hooked on the Chrome Soft Truvis. Like the OPís results I am seeing the same thing off the driver.  Perhaps even approach shots too. The major difference I see in is my chipping game. The Urethane balls have that slight bit of check and the hop and roll seems more predictable.  

Perhaps the other advantage I see is if you need to play a short sided flop. Does seem to stop quicker.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FGS+
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 20*/23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56* / Callaway Sure Out 60*/64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

#16 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

View Posterock9174, on 27 August 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

I swing similar 90ish with driver. 9-11 cap depending on the day.  
I've always played 2pc low compression balls like the Supersoft and Soft Feel. Shot decent scores with them.  

This season I wanted to give Urethane a try. Right now I'm hooked on the Chrome Soft Truvis. Like the OP's results I am seeing the same thing off the driver.  Perhaps even approach shots too. The major difference I see in is my chipping game. The Urethane balls have that slight bit of check and the hop and roll seems more predictable.  

Perhaps the other advantage I see is if you need to play a short sided flop. Does seem to stop quicker.

Bunker shots is one place it seems to matter a lot too. Maybe even more than chipping or lob shots. Not that a Tour ball will spin and stop on a dime but they'll give you a fighting chance of keeping it within 10 feet of the hole instead of rolling out a long way.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#17 Twism86

Twism86

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500570
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

I have similar stats as you and enjoy playing the higher end balls. I love the feel and feedback from them. However I adjust my ball choice on the course. If I'm likely to lose a lot of balls at a course, I play a cheaper ball.
TM AeroBurner 9.5*
TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
Odyssey White Hot RX #1
A bunch of random wedges

#18 tareatingrat

tareatingrat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320271
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

It has a lot to do with your swing, too.  At a 20 handicap, you're probably not hitting down with your irons as much as some.  I'm not judging, I'm a 13 and I've just been able to get some backspin on my shots.

I do find urethane balls are easier to stop on the greens now, as opposed to a few years ago. I've grown to like the predictability.

It does take a bit of getting used to, as I used to get a fair bit of rollout. However, it really helps on distance control.

And I'm a bit of a ball ho. That sounds awful. But I've tried a lot of golf balls.

At a 20, it didn't matter what I played. It was more about getting a good swing on the ball. I loved the Hex Soft from Callaway.

Now, I prefer a softer ball with decent spin. I really like the Titleist AVX, but it's ridiculously expensive. The Vice Pro Soft has worked well for me, too. I'm currently giving the Top Flite Gamer Urethane and Cut Blue's a try. Both are much harder than I like, and the Gamer Urethane durability is awful. The Cut Blue performs very nicely for the price, though.

Then again, I have a buddy who's a 9/10hcp and plays anything he finds in the trees. He just goes out and shoots decent scores. Doesn't hit it far, but is really consistent.

At the end of the day, finding a ball is an expensive experiment. People always say grab a sleeve and try them out for a round. At a 20, I lost two from a sleeve in two holes. Took a lot more than a sleeve to figure it out...

#19 bwhitish

bwhitish

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

I am a sweeper of the ball for sure. Thanks for all the views and responses! More than anything I just love to play and enjoy the company of my friends. But I have broken 90 5 times this year and I am very happy. Biggest reason I am hitting the ball better is tempo. I try to get to the course early so I dont feel I am rushing.
Ping K15 3 Wood Stock R
Ping G15 20 Stock R
Ping G15 4-UW AWT R

#20 1badbadger

1badbadger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18031
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

If you stop your approach shots OK with lower spin balls and you don’t attempt to play “low spinner” shots astound the green then you aren’t really needing the main advantages of Urethane balls. That said, as you have noted, off the tee with a driver the Surlyn balls are NOT going to help slices and hooks, that’s a myth.

So for you it comes down to feel, preference and cost. Doesn’t seem like the ball construction matters as much as it does for those of us who need more spin to keep a 150-yard approach on the green. I hit my clubs about the same distances as you and anything longer than an 8/9 iron tends to run out a lot with a SuperSoft type ball because my course has extremely firm greens most of the time.

Surlyn covered balls DO help reduce hooks and slices...for players that have a tendency to hook or slice their shots.  Players who usually hit the ball pretty straight wont notice much of a difference of course, but lower spinning balls are straighter...that's not a myth.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

View Post1badbadger, on 29 August 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

If you stop your approach shots OK with lower spin balls and you donít attempt to play ďlow spinnerĒ shots astound the green then you arenít really needing the main advantages of Urethane balls. That said, as you have noted, off the tee with a driver the Surlyn balls are NOT going to help slices and hooks, thatís a myth.

So for you it comes down to feel, preference and cost. Doesnít seem like the ball construction matters as much as it does for those of us who need more spin to keep a 150-yard approach on the green. I hit my clubs about the same distances as you and anything longer than an 8/9 iron tends to run out a lot with a SuperSoft type ball because my course has extremely firm greens most of the time.

Surlyn covered balls DO help reduce hooks and slices...for players that have a tendency to hook or slice their shots.  Players who usually hit the ball pretty straight wont notice much of a difference of course, but lower spinning balls are straighter...that's not a myth.

A lesson on how and how not to throw a curve ball?

#22 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

A baseball with seams more raised will bend more than one with lower seams at the same spin rate.

#23 Lancj1

Lancj1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378618
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Lancj1
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Im still a 18 handicapper - (I don't play many comps and don't relax into that environment, tend to save my worse scores for them) - although I have improved my golf quite significantly this year. I have shot a couple of 40 & 41 for 9 holes and 82 for 18 holes (par 71).

I suppose I have become a little more discerning. I have started to appreciate the qualities of Urethane balls and have played with them quite a bit this year (pro v1 and Chrome Soft. I like the way they stop more quickly on the green and don't roll out as much, and think they have improved my putting consistency.

I tend to start of every round with a "tour" ball, and see how things are today. If I am having a good day all is well. If not my stock ball is the Titleist/Callaway/Srixon two piece soft ball which I pick up whenever theres a two for one offer.

Once I start keeping balls for 18 holes more regularly Its urethane all the way. I think theres a point when they make a difference but they won't knock ten shots off your score.
Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.

#24 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostLancj1, on 29 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Im still a 18 handicapper - (I don't play many comps and don't relax into that environment, tend to save my worse scores for them) - although I have improved my golf quite significantly this year. I have shot a couple of 40 & 41 for 9 holes and 82 for 18 holes (par 71).

I suppose I have become a little more discerning. I have started to appreciate the qualities of Urethane balls and have played with them quite a bit this year (pro v1 and Chrome Soft. I like the way they stop more quickly on the green and don't roll out as much, and think they have improved my putting consistency.

I tend to start of every round with a "tour" ball, and see how things are today. If I am having a good day all is well. If not my stock ball is the Titleist/Callaway/Srixon two piece soft ball which I pick up whenever theres a two for one offer.

Once I start keeping balls for 18 holes more regularly Its urethane all the way. I think theres a point when they make a difference but they won't knock ten shots off your score.

Very well put. I feel the same. Prefer my ProV1 but if Iím not getting it done may as well play with a lesser ball and not risk my best.

#25 m d g

m d g

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163091
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:54 AM

Not sure if I qualify as a high handicapper (8 index) but I am definitely a short hitter. Check out my mini 'review' of the AVX in that thread. It played great for me...

#26 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 6244

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:03 AM

View PostNoTalentLefty, on 25 August 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

My dad loved Pro V1s. He had a bad ankle/leg that kept him from having anything close to a great swing. But that ball matched what he was looking for in a ball. Never bought new but blemish balls. Loved that man and I miss him today and his like for Pro V1s.

Your Dad probably viewed Titleist balls as the ultimate golf status symbol, as I did when I was growing up.  Imagine, playing a dollar ball.  Finding a Titleist back then was real luck, but usually, they had a big smile on them.  One day (age 15 or so) I spied a new Titleist in a sand trap.  Elated, picking it up, I found it had a massive cut, not even usable for a penniless boy.

I play the Pro V's, when I find them.  Only bought one dozen of Titleists in over 50 years of golf.  They were still balata, at $20.

#27 Dueller

Dueller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456898
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

I got caught up in buying the premium balls for years until I went and got a full bag fitting after solid hours spent with my fitter on the sim. I'm a 13 cap and found I am a naturally high spin player.

I've played all the big name tour level offerings and couldn't really settle on anything I was happy to keep spending the money on. I picked up a dozen stock as a rock Q Star's on special one day after spinning my last handful of Pro V's off the planet and my game has improved as well as my bank account.

The Q stars feel great off the putter, give predictable release off the wedge on pitch shots and can hop and stop on the best full wedge & iron shots a recreational player like me can muster. There is no remarkable distance off the driver but I'm more often in play on a bad swipe and if they do go astray it's a cheap lesson. My distances off all clubs are also more consistent and dare I say it reliable.

For someone like me I don't need the extra rpm or the ability to zip the ball back onto a pin because my ability and game style don't need it.

People go to the effort to get fit for clubs but I'm also an advocate for getting a ball fitting done as well as it would have saved me a heap of cash. Something extra to talk about with the fitter when we are all whacking away at the screen with the shop supply of brand balls maybe not the same as in your bag. Better yet bring your ball to the fitting and get two fittings for the price of one. Long live the Q Star.
Driver: Ping G400 Max 8.4*, VTS silver S
Fairway 5: Ping G400 17*, VTS silver S
Hybrid 4: Ping G400 22*, VTS silver S
Irons 5-PW: Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54, 58 V-MG TT DG s200, Callaway MD PM Grind 60* KBS Tour V
Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
Bag/ Buggy: Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold
Ball: Q Star Tour

#28 bwhitish

bwhitish

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:16 AM

Thanks Dueller! I need to get a ball fitting.
Ping K15 3 Wood Stock R
Ping G15 20 Stock R
Ping G15 4-UW AWT R

#29 Jersey golfer

Jersey golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119755
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:09 PM

View PostDueller, on 17 September 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

I got caught up in buying the premium balls for years until I went and got a full bag fitting after solid hours spent with my fitter on the sim. I'm a 13 cap and found I am a naturally high spin player.

I've played all the big name tour level offerings and couldn't really settle on anything I was happy to keep spending the money on. I picked up a dozen stock as a rock Q Star's on special one day after spinning my last handful of Pro V's off the planet and my game has improved as well as my bank account.

The Q stars feel great off the putter, give predictable release off the wedge on pitch shots and can hop and stop on the best full wedge & iron shots a recreational player like me can muster. There is no remarkable distance off the driver but I'm more often in play on a bad swipe and if they do go astray it's a cheap lesson. My distances off all clubs are also more consistent and dare I say it reliable.

For someone like me I don't need the extra rpm or the ability to zip the ball back onto a pin because my ability and game style don't need it.

People go to the effort to get fit for clubs but I'm also an advocate for getting a ball fitting done as well as it would have saved me a heap of cash. Something extra to talk about with the fitter when we are all whacking away at the screen with the shop supply of brand balls maybe not the same as in your bag. Better yet bring your ball to the fitting and get two fittings for the price of one. Long live the Q Star.

Which Q Star did you go with?

#30 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 1005

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:09 PM

Try a dozen of the Wilson Elite 50's, best ball at a buck apiece.
12 dollars a dozen, soft , long, and if you lose it,  your out a hell of a lot less then these other balls. Do a search on these boards, good write up on the performance of this ball.

Michigan Bag                                     Florida Bag
Callaway XR Pro 16  9.5                    Mizuno  850 9.5
Callaway Rouge SZ 15*                     Tour Edge Exotic CB Pro F2 15*
Callaway Rouge SZ 18*.                    Tour Edge Exotic  CB Pro F2 18*
TEE CBX Hybrid 22*                          Tour Edge Exotic CB Pro U 21*
  Callaway 18 X Forged  5 - PW          Callaway 18 Apex MB 4 - PW
  Callaway MD Forged  50*, 56*.         Mizuno Forged 51*, 56*
  Evnroll ER2                                       Odyssey 9HT
  Taylormade TP5X.                            Taylormade TP5X

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors