Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Martial Arts In A Real Street Fight

42 replies to this topic

#31 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 06 September 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

^^^^

My only 2 on 1 wasn't in a Wendy's drive thru but I'm betting his lasted longer and had a better ending.

aww-- well played sir

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19108

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

This thread -

I resisted posting this for 3 Days. But Im weak.

True story. And Ill preface it by saying Im a fan of martial arts in general.  

7th grade gym class.  We had this kid come to our shool from upstate New York .  He immediately lets it be known hes a black belt and to watch it.  Lol.  Little guy with little man syndrome.    Well.  We also had this huge kid who was dumb as a brick.  And these two mixed like oil and water.  Long story short , it came to a head In the locker room after gym class.  Pushing spilled to the door the led out to the courtyard outside.  We all piled out and encircled these two.  Small kid takes on his fighting stance and big guy literally shoots his legs and takes him down like a mma pro.  And then just wails on him.  All the while small guy is making sounds and throwing up forearms to block him.  With about 50% success rate.  Finally big guy lets the small guy up.  We think its over.  Big guy turns to walk away and small guy charges with some sort of a flying kick punch combo.  Big guy turns around and grabs him and picks him up. And then actually deposits him into the outside trash can.  And says the line that every kid there remembers to this day.  My buddy and I stilll use it when someone is put in their place.  He said take that back to your Kung-fu teacher !    Now I have no idea what type martial arts  he was studying. But the fact that he generalized it to Kung-fu was literally the funniest thing Id ever heard.

For those wondering why nobody stopped this. #1. It was the 80s. Fighting wasnt a federal crime yet.  Teachers still smoked in school etc. you know. Before the world  died .  #2. The little guy was the aggressor.  Twice.  He had it coming.  

anyway.  Was too on topic not to share.  Lol.

Edited by bladehunter, 12 September 2018 - 09:14 AM.

Nike Oven TW Vapor Speed  Aldila Synergy proto 70TX
Tm 17 M1 tour 14.5  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
Tm M3 tour 19 Fuji Pro white 95X
Titleist 681 Proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Raw 54 60 Modus 130S
Camerom 009 1.5 GSS

#33 vaca22

vaca22

Commander In Beef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

As a kid, my next door neighbor was always off to Karate class.  When I first walked into his house, I was stunned to see a literal mountain of competitive trophies, medals and awards he had racked up.  So we must have been...12 at the time?  He was already a 3rd degree black belt, and had a newspaper article about his accomplishments framed on his wall.   One night I saw him swinging around a bo staff by himself in the back yard, and he was wielding it with tremendous power.  Again, we're talking 12 years old here.

He never spoke about his training, awards, skills, or anything like that...it wasn't anyone's business.  A friendly game of basketball turned not so friendly when one of the other kids in the neighborhood started pushing him around.  His response?  "Compromise.  Can't we compromise?"   When the other kid lunged at him as if to throw a punch, the next thing we knew is that he was on the ground grimacing in pain as his arm was being bent back in an awkward position.  

He always spoke of "anticipation and the element of surprise".  He once told me Karate taught him "discipline, self-respect and respect for others, good work ethic and self awareness".  He was a very bright kid.

My point is this...against children of similar age, build and stature, those who take their training seriously will be able to use it effectively as a defensive strategy to avoid being hurt or neutralizing a threat.  Those who continue to study can use it with devastating effect.  I believe he stopped once we got to high school, as athletics and other things began to consume most of his time.

A family friend has been practicing karate for over 35 years now.  He is diabetic and weighs about 150 or 160 at most, sinewy and bony...however...several years ago he began punching boards and trying to break stones with his knuckles to build up the bone structure in his hands.

He can kill you with a pizza box.

Edited by vaca22, 12 September 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#34 JiuJitsuandGolf

JiuJitsuandGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483632
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

Coming from several martial art backgrounds, each have their own uniqueness that would definitely be hard for an untrained person to handle. I don’t think there is any style that is super effective with multiple attackers as previous have stated from an offensive standpoint. But sometimes just knowing how to neutralize a situation or attackers is just as good. Now as far as a fair fight meaning 1 on 1 I’m definitely going with Jiu Jitsu for many reasons. Most people just thing it’s rolling on mats applying chokes and joint locks which is partially true. But wrestling is incorporated, distance control, standing self defense against weapons etc. In a fight distance control is absolutely #1. If you’re a Jiu Jitsu fighter you’re either far enough away to not get struck or close enough to take the fight to the ground and subdue a person with various positions and leverage. There’s no off balance kicks, spins or punches. If an untrained person is taken down and mounted, panic sets in and tons of wasted energy happens. They open themselves up to chokes with their own clothing or jackets. Most importantly for myself I can apprehend someone safely without fear of knocking some one out cold and hitting their head. Also unlike many other martial arts, a Jiu Jitsu black belt is acquired over 8-10 years of dedicated training. There are no teenage black belts etc.
TaylorMade M4 Project X Evenflow Black 6.0 65
Cobra F8 3FW NV Blue Stiff 70G
Cobra F8 3H Aldila Rogue Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-Gap W/ Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 54 & 58 Wedges W/ Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland Huntington Beach 6C Putter
Titleist 14 Way Stand Bag
TaylorMade TP5X/ Srixon Z Star

#35 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 1901

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

After he gets really good at karate Brazilian JJ would be a great progression

If you ever watch the early days of UFC all the karate, TKD, and other arts with beautiful Jean Claude Van Dam kicks get kod

I saw a lot of school yard fights back in the day.  Most fights went to the ground and the guy on top always won.  :)

Edited by mosesgolf, 15 September 2018 - 06:59 PM.

Titleist 917D3 9.5 Fujikura Tour Spec 74 Stiff
Titleist 917F2 15* Project X 75 Stiff
Titleist 910H 19* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 23  Project X 6.0
Titleist 714MB DGS300 4-9
Titleist Vokey 48 54 60
Titleist Scotty Futura 34

#36 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 6276

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:07 AM

My uncle Charlie, a ww2 combat veteran in the Pacific, used to laugh watching all the accomplished guys like Seagal, Van Damme, and others.  He'd just point his finger like a gun and say POW.

Too many gun toting people out there.

Walk away from any potential fight.

#37 Hit em good

Hit em good

Hit em good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147143
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

Interesting topic.  FWIW, I'm 50 years old, and a 2nd Dan (2nd degree) black belt in Tae Kwon Do.  My son is 23, and a 4th degree.  I competed at the Ft. Worth national competition in 2015, and was a awarded a bronze medal in my age group (was proud of that).  I share all this just to give a little credibility to my comments.  

For a "street fight", ie; two high school kids fighting after school in the parking lot..., I have always said that I would take a trained high school wrestler, any day, over a TKD or martial arts guy.  The wrestler is going to be stronger, and tie the TKD guy up, and then just beat on him.  

That said, I would not discount the value of the martial arts training against an average joe.  In TKD, we spar (fight) every single class.  Sometimes, we spar 2 on 1 or 3 on 1.  I've never had to use my TKD in a real fight, but there is no doubt that I will be much more prepared and composed than the average joe.  
However, I agree with the other comments, that if the other guy is bigger and stronger than me, and gets in close and grabs onto me, I will have a tough time.  

Hit em good
Driver:  Ping G30
3 wood:  Ping G25  (15°)
7 wood:  Ping G25  (21°)
Driving iron:  Mizuno MP Fli Hi (18°, 2010 model)
23° hybid:  Ping G25
5i - pw:  Mizuno MP64 (pw 47°, and so forth)
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0  56° / 60°
Putter:  Odyssey Two-Ball
Bag:  Ping Hoofer
Ball:  Titleist Pro v1x

#38 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 1863

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Whoever is crazier is who wins a street fight. First off, 90% of people haven't ever really been in a fight. Of those that have, even fewer have been in a fight that lasted more than ten seconds. Most people simply aren't mentally prepared. ESPECIALLY if they land a good shot and the guy just keeps coming. Panic sets in. The guy that takes a punch and just keeps coming, or lands a great shot and isn't shaken when the other guy keeps coming will win.

#39 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 2001

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

I’ve seen these fights go down. Karate will certainly help in terms of self defense in the event that you find yourself in a tough spot with a guy that hasn’t had a lot of experience.

That being said, anyone good at street fighting is a little crazy, and a lot of tough (those guys that smile when their front teeth get knocked out) and you can’t learn those qualities.

That being said, if you find someone with some training, whose a little crazy and a lot of tough, it’s a bad dude lol
What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

#40 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 2001

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 19 September 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

Whoever is crazier is who wins a street fight. First off, 90% of people haven't ever really been in a fight. Of those that have, even fewer have been in a fight that lasted more than ten seconds. Most people simply aren't mentally prepared. ESPECIALLY if they land a good shot and the guy just keeps coming. Panic sets in. The guy that takes a punch and just keeps coming, or lands a great shot and isn't shaken when the other guy keeps coming will win.

I was going to add to my response that to someone who’s trained in some way, it’s very jarring to land a good shot, and have it not phase the other person.

Fortunately, when you’ve encountered one of these people at least once, you can see this aspect about them before it’s even begun lol. A lesson learned the hard way, but hopefully only once.

What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

To circle back on this one, the OP is asking about a child--

#42 Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101025
  • Ebay ID:juleswinnfield0
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostHehateme, on 09 October 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Well, it's an easy way for people to talk about how tough they are, so, of course it would get derailed.

#43 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 1863

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostAnimal Chin, on 09 October 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostHehateme, on 09 October 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Well, it's an easy way for people to talk about how tough they are, so, of course it would get derailed.

For the record, my response wasn't meant to be me acting tough. I've never been in a fight over ten seconds, and I'm not crazy lol. I saw enough fights to learn who would usually win though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors