Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Special Olympics Golf Skills...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TimV

TimV

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 2034

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

Hopefully no one minds me posting this here. I am looking for donations of modern golf equipment for my Special Olympics Golf Skills Athletes here in Broward Co. Florida. I have sent this "letter" to about 16 different golf suppliers but have so far only heard back from one (which was a negative.) I am happy to answer any questions and provide other contacts to verify that this IS what it's for. If you are able to help just PM me. No worries if you can't or don't wish to. No problem if you feel this doesn't belong here or shouldn't be posted let me know and I'll take it down.
Here is the letter I've been sending out...

"Dear Sir / Madam,
I have become a Special Olympics Golf Skills Coach in Broward County Florida. Upon attending practices with the Special Olympics Athletes here it was obvious that they were ill equipped (literally) to succeed. Most of the athletes are working with equipment provided by the Broward County Chapter and much of it is 30 years old or older. Most participants are forced to use equipment that a normal weekend golfer would find very challenging to play at best. I hope to be able to put together ‘Skill Sets’ for our athletes for next season (mid-May to early Sept.) that will make the challenges easier for them. This would not only give them a better chance to succeed in the Golf Skills Program but also to progress to the Golf Play Program if they wished. Any and all equipment donations will be greatly appreciated but I am specifically looking for the following equipment (new or used) in both Right and Left Handed (we have a lot of Left Handed participants,) in Regular, Senior, and Ladies Flexes, with graphite or lighter weight steel shafts when possible…
Drivers: 330cc volume or greater in 12 degrees or higher lofts
Fairway Woods: 16 to 18 degrees lofts
Hybrids: 20 to 24 degrees loft  
Irons: 5, 7, & 9 Irons
Wedges: in approx. 52 degrees, 56 degrees, and 60 degrees
Putters: Mallet, Semi-Mallet, and Anser Style
*Complete clubs or components are fine as we have the ability to assemble clubs.
Grips are also sought as shortening clubs will help many of our athletes.
Carry Bags, Stand Bags, Tees, Practice Balls and all other Golf Equipment would also be appreciated.  
If I am able to put together 10 Club Sets based on this (Driver, Fairway, Hybrid, 5, 7, & 9 irons, 52*, 56*, 60*, Putter) our Special Olympics Athletes will have a much greater chance of succeeding in their Skills Challenges (Wood & Iron Driving, Short & Long Putt, Chip and Pitch) and will also have a solid Playing Set should they qualify to graduate to the Playing Group.
I am happy to answer any questions you may have and truly appreciate your consideration.
Sincerely,
Timothy R. Vice
Margate FL 33063"

Most of our participants are forced to be "Vintage Players" due to the equipment available to them. Although I personally love playing vintage this is truly a detriment to these "kids" who already are at a disadvantage. I have already given several clubs away to various participants and have seen immediate improvement with having a superior "tool for the job." Larger Heads, Higher Lofts, Lower COG, Shorter Lengths, and Lighter Overall Weight are these Special Olympic Athlete's friends.

P.S.

I mention this because I was asked...

If you would like to contribute but don't have equipment we need and/or shipping costs would be prohibitive eBay, Rock Bottom Golf, or Dick's Sporting Goods Gift Certificates would be appreciated as well.

Anything of that nature would be used solely towards equipment for our participants.

Your Support is Appreciated.
Thanks,

Tim

Edited by TimV, 06 September 2018 - 08:55 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3792

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

First off...my hat is off to you for your participation in this endeavor.

Secondly, most of my stuff is pretty much vintage, but I will dig around to see if there is anything that you might find usable. I don't want to send you junk or something that won't be applicable for your purposes.

That being said.

QUOTE:  Most participants are forced to use equipment that a normal weekend golfer would find very challenging to play at best"

I believe that applies to most all of us, no matter the age of the equipment....just sayin'

Edited by augustgolf, 23 August 2018 - 03:59 PM.

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#3 dcopp7

dcopp7

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428384
  • Ebay ID:dcopp7
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

I have a set of Ram Accubars I would donate.  Let me know via PM
Callaway Hyper X 9*  what's the point?

Taylormade RBZ 15* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

Dunlop Pro 18* driving iron

Orlimar clone 23* 7W

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Lynx putter

#4 baloo

baloo

A Person

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140341
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

I don't own any modern stuff. But I'll keep an eye out at thrift stores next time I'm out. Sometimes some decent, modern ish stuff pops up.

Keep up the great work!
Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf

#5 Ryan3773

Ryan3773

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494220
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Just going to bump this up to the top.

#6 Swingingk

Swingingk

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114135
GolfWRX Likes : 548

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

This is a great cause, and bravo for getting involved Tim.  I wish I could help but I don't have much to offer and with the cost of shipping from Canada I might as well drive the stuff down to you.  Have you tried posting this in the New Equipment forum?  Keep up the good work!

#7 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4461

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:08 PM

BZ Tim,
  I may have a few items that are not too ancient to be of value to you.  Iíll check and will be looking at the thrifts for things also.

#8 TimV

TimV

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 2034

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:12 PM

Spent the Holiday weekend picking up and cleaning up clubs and filling in sets for our Special Olympics Golf Skills Group.
Received a nice mailer from Dick's Sporting Goods today with some vouchers to use for equipment and discount coupons to give to our participants. Thought that was very good of them.
Should you have anything you wish to contribute just message me for my address.
Thanks and Keep Swinging,
Tim

Edited by TimV, 04 September 2018 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors