Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist 2019 ProV1 Prototype

Titleist ProV1

111 replies to this topic

#1 hmurray

hmurray

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194718
  • Joined: 07/25/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

Anyone tested the Titleist 2019 ProV1 Protype ball?  I received a sleeve from our pro last week and played the ball over the weekend.  Putts and short game shots felt and performed similarly to me; however, the iron and driver performance seemed different in a way I canít quite describe.  Perhaps it launches a little differently or spins a tad more than the current 2017 version; again, I canít put my finger on it yet.   In comparison, I tested the 2017 prototype before it was released and could easily differentiate between the 2015 ball and the current (2017) ball.  Would love to hear what others are finding and if anyone knows what Titleist has tweaked or is trying to achieve in the 2019 version.7C1E4A87-7B13-4735-B265-A93253A2F818.jpeg 790D78F0-0C7D-4ED6-AD5C-89B1D90FFAA9.jpeg

Edited by hmurray, 23 August 2018 - 12:06 AM.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/ Fuji Green 62 X Flex
Callaway Rogue 18* 5 Wood w/ EvenFlow Blue 6.0
Srixon U85 w/ Recoil F4
PING i500 5-U Wedge w/ PING/Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
Wedges - Still Searching
Callaway MD4 64* Wedge w/ S200 Shaft
Cameron Futura 5.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5į driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15į fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19į hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22į hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

2

#3 hmurray

hmurray

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194718
  • Joined: 07/25/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?

It literally has “2019 Proto” stamped on the side.  I will posted a picture later today when I have my bag.
Callaway Epic 9.0 w/ Fuji Green 62 X Flex
Callaway Rogue 18* 5 Wood w/ EvenFlow Blue 6.0
Srixon U85 w/ Recoil F4
PING i500 5-U Wedge w/ PING/Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
Wedges - Still Searching
Callaway MD4 64* Wedge w/ S200 Shaft
Cameron Futura 5.5

3

#4 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:57 PM

View Posthmurray, on 22 August 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?

It literally has “2019 Proto” stamped on the side.  I will posted a picture later today when I have my bag.

I’m looking forward to the pictures.
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5į driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15į fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19į hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22į hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

4

#5 hmurray

hmurray

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194718
  • Joined: 07/25/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:07 AM

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

View Posthmurray, on 22 August 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?

It literally has “2019 Proto” stamped on the side.  I will posted a picture later today when I have my bag.

I’m looking forward to the pictures.

Pictures added to my original post.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/ Fuji Green 62 X Flex
Callaway Rogue 18* 5 Wood w/ EvenFlow Blue 6.0
Srixon U85 w/ Recoil F4
PING i500 5-U Wedge w/ PING/Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
Wedges - Still Searching
Callaway MD4 64* Wedge w/ S200 Shaft
Cameron Futura 5.5

5

#6 gfranktw7

gfranktw7

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441316
  • Joined: 09/22/2016
  • Location:Grand Rapids, MI
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

View Posthmurray, on 23 August 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

View Posthmurray, on 22 August 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?

It literally has “2019 Proto” stamped on the side.  I will posted a picture later today when I have my bag.

I’m looking forward to the pictures.

Pictures added to my original post.

Pretty cool stuff.  I am interested to see how they tweak the X.  They seemed to focus on major changes for the ProV1 in the last installment, but the X was sort of an afterthought.  I will be interested to see how they have tweaked it to compete with the TP5X (not that it's a huge competitor, but a small dent)
@GFrankTV

6

#7 Erjohn

Erjohn

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386672
  • Joined: 07/19/2015
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

I went through a ball fitting with Titleist earlier in the year and they had me hit a proto ball they were working on. It was supposed to spin a little less. It spun less on wedge shots and iron shots and felt different for sure. It might be this ball or some other ball. It seems like they always have a proto ball or two they are testing.

7

#8 texcrom

texcrom

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Joined: 06/21/2005
  • Location:Franklin, TN
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:28 AM

Why isn’t it yellow? LOL!
Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0
Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300
Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08
Titleist Vokey SM7 54-10
Titleist Vokey SM7 58-08
Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red
Titleist Pro V1X

Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff
Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge
Taylormade R7 425 TP
Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood
Scotty Cameron Select Newport
Ping Anser 35 inch
Cleveland Designed By blade putter (2)

GO VOLS!!

8

#9 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19829

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM

Am I the only person who wears socks ?
Ping G400 Max 9.4* Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
TM 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
Bridgestone XD-H 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105x
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130 X
Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60  S400
Cameron GSS 009 1.5 beached tungsten sole weights

9

#10 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6976

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

At my club I think it's now in the by-laws. All male golfers 18-35 must abide by the following code:

Socks: Not Allowed
White Golf Shoes: Required
Golf Cart: Required
Can of Copenhagen: Required
Cap on Backwards: Optional but recommended

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Stanks

Stanks

    Real Straight Shooter with Upper Management written all over him

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:Torrey Pines - The Grill
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 August 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

At my club I think it's now in the by-laws. All male golfers 18-35 must abide by the following code:

Socks: Not Allowed
White Golf Shoes: Required
Golf Cart: Required
Can of Copenhagen: Required
Cap on Backwards: Optional but recommended

Times are a changing. Get used to it, salty.

Dimple patterns look pretty similar. Itís titleist so the cost will be absurd, regardless of performance.


What a time to be alive

11

#12 swgolf12

swgolf12

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140687
  • Joined: 10/01/2011
  • Ebay ID:officialgolfguru
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

View Postgfranktw7, on 23 August 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

View Posthmurray, on 23 August 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

View Posthmurray, on 22 August 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View Postnoodle3872, on 22 August 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

How do you know it was the 2019 Pro V1? Can you post a picture of the ball?

It literally has “2019 Proto” stamped on the side.  I will posted a picture later today when I have my bag.

I’m looking forward to the pictures.

Pictures added to my original post.

Pretty cool stuff.  I am interested to see how they tweak the X.  They seemed to focus on major changes for the ProV1 in the last installment, but the X was sort of an afterthought.  I will be interested to see how they have tweaked it to compete with the TP5X (not that it's a huge competitor, but a small dent)

This is what i'm most interested in seeing.  I was fortunate enough to be one of the GolfWRX Members selected to be part of the "ProV1 Experience" last year at HQ in Mass.  I ended up switching from the Pro V1X to the Pro V1 just because I hit moon balls and am able to flight it down more easily since the V1 flys lower (at least with 2017 version).  With that being said, if I wasn't still playing free Pro V1's from that trip I would be buying TP5X balls because the ball just wants to fly straight and has pop off the driver that I can't get with a PROV1 or a PROV1 X.
M3 440 Kiyoshi Black 75
R15 3HL 869 Tour Spec 4.0
Vapor Fly Pro 3 Aldila RIP 115 Tour
Titleist T-MB 4 TIX100 HS1X
VR Forged 5-9 X7
Nike VR Forged 48* X7
SSC Don White Grind 53/58 S400
PM Grind 64 PX 7.0
Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/Scotty Fastback 1.5/Scotty Catalina Two Welded Neck

12

#13 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1790

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

i play the spinniest ball i can find. so if they are reducing spin, I am out.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

13

#14 JStang

JStang

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122217
  • Joined: 02/13/2011
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1468

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 23 August 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

i play the spinniest ball i can find. so if they are reducing spin, I am out.

ChromeSoft X?
TS3 | M3 Fairway | 915H 2&3 | 718 CB | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Byron Morgan DH89

14

#15 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostStanks, on 23 August 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 August 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

At my club I think it's now in the by-laws. All male golfers 18-35 must abide by the following code:

Socks: Not Allowed
White Golf Shoes: Required
Golf Cart: Required
Can of Copenhagen: Required
Cap on Backwards: Optional but recommended

Times are a changing. Get used to it, salty.

Dimple patterns look pretty similar. Itís titleist so the cost will be absurd, regardless of performance.


All the top balls are in the 44-47 range. Not much difference.


15

#16 Stanks

Stanks

    Real Straight Shooter with Upper Management written all over him

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:Torrey Pines - The Grill
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostLagavulin62, on 23 August 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostStanks, on 23 August 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 August 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

At my club I think it's now in the by-laws. All male golfers 18-35 must abide by the following code:

Socks: Not Allowed
White Golf Shoes: Required
Golf Cart: Required
Can of Copenhagen: Required
Cap on Backwards: Optional but recommended

Times are a changing. Get used to it, salty.

Dimple patterns look pretty similar. It's titleist so the cost will be absurd, regardless of performance.


All the top balls are in the 44-47 range. Not much difference.

It'll climb. And that "Top Balls" note is perception but, I get what you're saying. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this rendition trends to the >$50 range. It's almost guaranteed the price won't decrease.
What a time to be alive

16

#17 jwb10

jwb10

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Joined: 11/12/2006
  • Location:Mars
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?
as far as you know

17

#18 KirkNo-yes

KirkNo-yes

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419042
  • Joined: 04/04/2016
  • Location:The Woodlands
  • Handicap:+3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1344

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:31 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

I LIVE in socks, sleep in them, walk around the house in them, I own a pair of flip flops...I think, but not sure. Anyway, I love love love socks
Driver - Taylormade Tour Issue M1 460 9.5 - Tour issue Tensei White 60TX
3wood- Tayloremade Tour Issue SLDR TS (set to 14.5) w/ 90gram TX tour issue UST VST Tour SPX
Hybrid - Adams Prototype 18deg w/ Graphite Design AD 95 X
Irons- 4-PW - Taylormade Tour Issue P750 w/ PX Flighted 6.5
Wedges- Vokey Prototype 54 V grind 10deg bounce w/ DG Tour Issue S400, SM6 58deg K grind Low bounce ported w/ DG Tour Issue S400, SM6 62deg m grind w/DG Tour Issue S400
Putter - Lamont Mann custom Blue Wave .
Ball - Taylormade TP5

18

#19 bigeasy

bigeasy

    Bigeasy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3724
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:In the heart of Dixie
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 336

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 24 August 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

I LIVE in socks, sleep in them, walk around the house in them, I own a pair of flip flops...I think, but not sure. Anyway, I love love love socks
is this in reference to the 2019 prototype golf balls? in regards to the topic, they are out on tour this week. Anybody received any samples from Team Titleist?

Edited by bigeasy, 28 August 2018 - 01:11 PM.

Cobra F6+ Graphite Design ADDI-6S 10D
Cobra Flyz+ 14.5 degree, Aldila Tour Blue 75 stiff
Taylormade M1 19* hybrid
Ping I 25 4-PW ZZ65 cushin
Titleist SM6F Grind 50*, SM6 S Grind 55* SM6 S Grind 59* DGS300
Ping Redwood Piper Black
Bridgestone B330, Srixon XV, TP5, Prov1
USGA Handicap 6.2
PURE GRIPS


USA! Love it or leave it!

19

#20 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6976

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

View Postbigeasy, on 28 August 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 24 August 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

I LIVE in socks, sleep in them, walk around the house in them, I own a pair of flip flops...I think, but not sure. Anyway, I love love love socks
is this in reference to the 2019 prototype golf balls? in regards to the topic, they are out on tour this week. Anybody received any samples from Team Titleist?

I believe you were looking for the ProV1 thread. You stumbled into the sock wearing thread by mistake.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7607

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 24 August 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

I LIVE in socks, sleep in them, walk around the house in them, I own a pair of flip flops...I think, but not sure. Anyway, I love love love socks

I never wear socks. not even in my golf shoes
I'm in flip flops as soon as the snow melts and I go to socks an shoes when the snow comes back in December

Amazing with all the updates how many pro's still play older versions

I think Langer has 2013 x's stockpiled at home
Ping G400 LST 11.0* Oban Revenge Green 65x
Ping G400 3w 13.9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55x
Ping G400 5w 16.9* Oban Isawa Red 65x
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS Orange 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture 5 - PW UST PF 95s
Ping Glides wrx 50, 54 and 59* Steelfiber 125s
Piretti Matera Elite (torched)

21

#22 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

View Postcardoustie, on 28 August 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 24 August 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 23 August 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Am I the only person who wears socks ?

I LIVE in socks, sleep in them, walk around the house in them, I own a pair of flip flops...I think, but not sure. Anyway, I love love love socks

I never wear socks. not even in my golf shoes
I'm in flip flops as soon as the snow melts and I go to socks an shoes when the snow comes back in December

Amazing with all the updates how many pro's still play older versions

I think Langer has 2013 x's stockpiled at home



People donít like change even if it will supposedly improve their game. New and improved, maybe, but most of us donít like it when weíve worked so hard to feel comfortable.

22

#23 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6976

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:01 AM

My ability to distinguish the finer points of golf balls is extremely limited. But the 2013 iteration of ProV1x was so much more suited to my game than any ProV1x before it, the difference was obvious from the first round. I only even tried those balls because I was given a dozen as a freebie on a long-weekend buddies outing. Couldn't believe an "X ball" could work that well.

I can't say what exactly it is about the 2017 ProV1x relative to the 2013 version I played hundreds of rounds with. But it's different and it does not suit my game as perfectly as the 2013. If I'd been given a free dozen 2017 ProV1x I'd have played them, they'd have worked OK but I'd never have considered actually buying more of them.

So in that particular case, I can see Langer's point!
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

23

#24 MBBG

MBBG

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 281663
  • Joined: 10/25/2013
  • Location:South Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

I thought the 2013 X was special too. I found one the other day and have been playing it. Seems softer than the 15 and 17 did to me and had a lovely flight and great control. I actually searched trying to find some new old stock the other day but didnít have any luck.
2016 TM TI M2 with Rogue 125 60 TS
Ping G400 3W with stock Alta S
RomaRo Type R 18* with Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
2013 ONOFF Forged with Modus 125 S
Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
Odyssey Works SaberTooth
Tartan Ogio Recoil stand bag

24

#25 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6976

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostMBBG, on 29 August 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

I thought the 2013 X was special too. I found one the other day and have been playing it. Seems softer than the 15 and 17 did to me and had a lovely flight and great control. I actually searched trying to find some new old stock the other day but didn't have any luck.

Yep. High as the dickens off the driver but still rolled out pretty well when it landed. And seemed to NOT have too much iron shot spin (no problems in wind, no sucking back off greens) while still having a lot of short-game spin. Cool ball all around even for us low clubhead speed guys. Special ball IMO.

The 2017 is perfectly fine but nothing special. I recently bought some and figured it would be like hooking up with an old favorite but it didn't wow me at all. Not quite the high ball flight, seems a little shorter and spinnier with my irons than the 2013, still spins a lot in the short game.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

25

#26 KirkNo-yes

KirkNo-yes

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419042
  • Joined: 04/04/2016
  • Location:The Woodlands
  • Handicap:+3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1344

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

The left dot ProV 1 is the best ball Titleist has ever produced, period. Unfortunately you have to be on the PGA tour to get them. Not ever WEB players can play them on the reg unless they steal a bunch from a random appearance. The new 2017 PRO V 1 (as I was told by a very very High VP in the Ball dept at Titleist) is the closest ball to that left dot they have ever made but I still don't think it hit the mark. I really thought the '17's were going to wow me but they haven't. I can understand why Rory left them. The X launches too high off the irons for me and the PRO V just feels flat. No jump. The '13's were special indeed. Isn't that the ball that DLIII hoards as well?
Driver - Taylormade Tour Issue M1 460 9.5 - Tour issue Tensei White 60TX
3wood- Tayloremade Tour Issue SLDR TS (set to 14.5) w/ 90gram TX tour issue UST VST Tour SPX
Hybrid - Adams Prototype 18deg w/ Graphite Design AD 95 X
Irons- 4-PW - Taylormade Tour Issue P750 w/ PX Flighted 6.5
Wedges- Vokey Prototype 54 V grind 10deg bounce w/ DG Tour Issue S400, SM6 58deg K grind Low bounce ported w/ DG Tour Issue S400, SM6 62deg m grind w/DG Tour Issue S400
Putter - Lamont Mann custom Blue Wave .
Ball - Taylormade TP5

26

#27 ram01002

ram01002

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
  • Joined: 06/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 666

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

Left dot is a bulldozer through the wind - I can understand why it never hit retail but for high spin guys itís really good.

27

#28 1putt2win2

1putt2win2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
  • Joined: 10/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 06 September 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

The left dot ProV 1 is the best ball Titleist has ever produced, period. Unfortunately you have to be on the PGA tour to get them. Not ever WEB players can play them on the reg unless they steal a bunch from a random appearance. The new 2017 PRO V 1 (as I was told by a very very High VP in the Ball dept at Titleist) is the closest ball to that left dot they have ever made but I still don't think it hit the mark. I really thought the '17's were going to wow me but they haven't. I can understand why Rory left them. The X launches too high off the irons for me and the PRO V just feels flat. No jump. The '13's were special indeed. Isn't that the ball that DLIII hoards as well?

i distinctly remember when Nike left the equipment business a few years ago Rory played an Epic driver and Prov1x ball for awhile, before signing a huge contract with taylormade. I'm sure this was also the case when Nike bought him out.

28

#29 Hat Trick

Hat Trick

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216173
  • Joined: 12/15/2012
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:31 PM

I was a big fan of the 2015 V1X, but the 2017 just felt heavy off the club face.  I have moved on and am playing the TP5X the last year.  Maybe Titleist can win me back - especially if TM messes around with the TP5X since they are due for a ball "improvement" as well!

29

#30 jwb10

jwb10

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Joined: 11/12/2006
  • Location:Mars
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

Just go protos, still have sox, more later


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors