Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Worse finish to a round

54 replies to this topic

#1 scruffynick

scruffynick

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317681
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 772

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Well had a really good round going today, and after I'd birdied the 12th things were really looking good..... Then even after back to back bogies on 14&15 which are 2 tough holes I wasn't too fussed. Then it went t!ts up.... Spectacularly!! Just had a mare of a finish, worse I that I can remember. A few pints helped after as I sat there with my playing partners wondering WTF just happened.. So come on we've all done it, what's your worse finish youve done to a round!?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Not the worst finish but the most painful for my was being at the tee needing par to break 80 and closing with a double. The second most painful was needing par to beat my brother's best of 39 on the back nine of his favorite course and skulling my second shot over the green and scuffling through crap behind the green to an 8.

#3 cyoung2ty

cyoung2ty

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 353647
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

I've been a member at the club I currently play at for just about 2 years now.  I've played 134 rounds there in that time, so... I've had plenty of opportunities to fall apart on the finishing holes, which although they aren't listed as such, I believe to be a pretty difficult finishing stretch.  

Anyway...

#15 - Par 5 - 462 Yards

On paper, this doesn't seem like too difficult a hole, and it's typically not.  Keep the drive out of the hazard up the left and away from the OB on the right and it's fairly benign.  On this particular day... my tee shot went right.  I was told it was okay, but I hit a provisional to be safe.  That went left.  Original ball was sitting just across the white line and out of bounds.  Crap.  Provisional was in the hazard against a rock.  Awesome.  Drop for 4... hitting 5.  Big, overhanging tree left in my line... fairway bunker up the right.  Try to hook a 4 iron low and around the tree.  Blocked it right and OB again.  Dropping 6... hitting 7.  Hit an ugly 8 iron to the right of the fairway bunker.  Left myself about 130 to the back pin.  Heavy... on the green, but way short.  3 putts from there for 11.  

#16 - Par 4 - 309 Yards

Again... paper says this is an easy hole.  Tee shot with a 4 iron to draw it around the dogleg found the right side of the fairway.  Pin was on the left side.  Cardinal sin on this hole it to go long.  It leaves a nearly impossible up and down... especially if the pin is on the left side.  Pitching wedge looked great but the mound in front of the green prevented me from seeing where it finished.  Got up there... no ball.  Maybe it's in the hole?  Nah... that must mean... yep.  I went long.  The situation dictates just taking my medicine and get the ball on the green.  Yeah, but... what if I just flop it on to the green and let it trickle to the hole?  That would be better... right?  Flop landed on the mound and came back to me.  Ugh!  Bump it into the hill to kill the speed and let it trickle to the hole.  Whack!  Too hard.  Over the front side of the green.  Chip to 4 feet from there.  Stopped my putter at impact.  Missed the putt.  Triple bogey 7.  

#17 - Par 3 - 138 Yards

Short is the miss.  Right is not horrible.  Left can be really bad if it kicks further left.  Long is basically hell.  8 iron into a little bit of a breeze looked awesome.  Hopped once.  Ball disappears over the back.  Pin is in the back.  Again... play is just to get it on the green and leave a putt at par.  Again... I tried to get cute.  Club went completely under the ball and I moved it about 2 feet.  Try again... caught in the rough at the top of the hill.  Chip had no chance to get close.  2 putts for another triple bogey.  

#18 - Par 4 - 312 Yards

So... yeah.  The finishing stretch is super short.  Just gotta avoid the misses in the bad spots.  This hole is uphill the entire way.  312 yards that typically plays like 390 yards.  No need for driver.  3 wood or iron is fine.  I was steaming.  Driver was wiped way right.  $*^+!  In the trees with an awful lie.  Topped it into the deep fairway bunker.  120 or so left to the hole.  Can't get there because of how deep the bunker is.  I still tried.  Thud!  Right into the lip.  It escaped but barely.  Wedge from there was thin and long.  Green has 3 tiers.  Pin is in the bottom.  Ball is at the top.  Putted off the green.  Chipped on to about 3 feet and made that to mercifully end the round with ANOTHER triple.  

I got through the 14th hole at +12.  I walked off the course at +27 and a 99.  

I left the next day for a 5 night trip to Hilton Head for a tournament.  Any and all confidence I had was shattered by that round.

#4 scruffynick

scruffynick

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postcyoung2ty, on 22 August 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

I've been a member at the club I currently play at for just about 2 years now.  I've played 134 rounds there in that time, so... I've had plenty of opportunities to fall apart on the finishing holes, which although they aren't listed as such, I believe to be a pretty difficult finishing stretch.  

Anyway...

#15 - Par 5 - 462 Yards

On paper, this doesn't seem like too difficult a hole, and it's typically not.  Keep the drive out of the hazard up the left and away from the OB on the right and it's fairly benign.  On this particular day... my tee shot went right.  I was told it was okay, but I hit a provisional to be safe.  That went left.  Original ball was sitting just across the white line and out of bounds.  Crap.  Provisional was in the hazard against a rock.  Awesome.  Drop for 4... hitting 5.  Big, overhanging tree left in my line... fairway bunker up the right.  Try to hook a 4 iron low and around the tree.  Blocked it right and OB again.  Dropping 6... hitting 7.  Hit an ugly 8 iron to the right of the fairway bunker.  Left myself about 130 to the back pin.  Heavy... on the green, but way short.  3 putts from there for 11.  

#16 - Par 4 - 309 Yards

Again... paper says this is an easy hole.  Tee shot with a 4 iron to draw it around the dogleg found the right side of the fairway.  Pin was on the left side.  Cardinal sin on this hole it to go long.  It leaves a nearly impossible up and down... especially if the pin is on the left side.  Pitching wedge looked great but the mound in front of the green prevented me from seeing where it finished.  Got up there... no ball.  Maybe it's in the hole?  Nah... that must mean... yep.  I went long.  The situation dictates just taking my medicine and get the ball on the green.  Yeah, but... what if I just flop it on to the green and let it trickle to the hole?  That would be better... right?  Flop landed on the mound and came back to me.  Ugh!  Bump it into the hill to kill the speed and let it trickle to the hole.  Whack!  Too hard.  Over the front side of the green.  Chip to 4 feet from there.  Stopped my putter at impact.  Missed the putt.  Triple bogey 7.  

#17 - Par 3 - 138 Yards

Short is the miss.  Right is not horrible.  Left can be really bad if it kicks further left.  Long is basically hell.  8 iron into a little bit of a breeze looked awesome.  Hopped once.  Ball disappears over the back.  Pin is in the back.  Again... play is just to get it on the green and leave a putt at par.  Again... I tried to get cute.  Club went completely under the ball and I moved it about 2 feet.  Try again... caught in the rough at the top of the hill.  Chip had no chance to get close.  2 putts for another triple bogey.  

#18 - Par 4 - 312 Yards

So... yeah.  The finishing stretch is super short.  Just gotta avoid the misses in the bad spots.  This hole is uphill the entire way.  312 yards that typically plays like 390 yards.  No need for driver.  3 wood or iron is fine.  I was steaming.  Driver was wiped way right.  $*^+!  In the trees with an awful lie.  Topped it into the deep fairway bunker.  120 or so left to the hole.  Can't get there because of how deep the bunker is.  I still tried.  Thud!  Right into the lip.  It escaped but barely.  Wedge from there was thin and long.  Green has 3 tiers.  Pin is in the bottom.  Ball is at the top.  Putted off the green.  Chipped on to about 3 feet and made that to mercifully end the round with ANOTHER triple.  

I got through the 14th hole at +12.  I walked off the course at +27 and a 99.  

I left the next day for a 5 night trip to Hilton Head for a tournament.  Any and all confidence I had was shattered by that round.
Ouch.... Whisky needed after that!

#5 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 4367

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

View Postscruffynick, on 22 August 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Well had a really good round going today, and after I'd birdied the 12th things were really looking good..... Then even after back to back bogies on 14&15 which are 2 tough holes I wasn't too fussed. Then it went t!ts up.... Spectacularly!! Just had a mare of a finish, worse I that I can remember. A few pints helped after as I sat there with my playing partners wondering WTF just happened.. So come on we've all done it, what's your worse finish youve done to a round!?

2003. California State Am Qualifier. 3-under with one to play at Spring Valley Lake CC in Victorville, CA. Shanked a 6-iron and triple-bogeyed the185-yard downhill par-3 18th to miss by one.

2003. Southern California Amateur Qualifier at Rancho California Golf Club in Murrieta, CA.  2-under with one to play. double-bogey the 18th hole to shoot even, which put me in a playoff. Hit a 9-iron to 15 feet on the first playoff hole and promptly 3-jacked to miss out.

2003. U.S. Mid-Am Qualifier. 3-under at Desert Island Country Club in Rancho Mirage, CA with one hole to play. I triple-bogeyed the last hole to shoot even and miss by one.

I cried on the drive home after this one. Yes, all of those really happened. Yes, in the same year. Yes, back-to-back-to-back. Yes. I really choked that badly back then.

THEN, in 2004, I broke through and shot 69 (one behind current PGA Tour player and then senior in high school Cameron Tringale!) to qualify for the SCGA Amateur. After that, I went on a run where I qualified for just about everything in California and even had some nice finishes for about five years in a row. Good times. :-)

Edited by Obee, 24 August 2018 - 09:55 AM.

PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)

#6 Markrip

Markrip

Boss fan 62

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365551
GolfWRX Likes : 908

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

It would have to be last week. I’m cruising to my second sub 40 round in four weeks. I get to the seventh hole which is a short par 4 that I usually hit a 5 iron off the tee and have around 90 yards in. I somehow turned that into a 7. I par the next one. I get to 9 and need a par for 40 and turn that one into a 7 also.
Driver - Cobra F7
3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
Hybrid -  Cobra F8 19
Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
Wedges-  Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

#7 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5(OLB)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1233

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

Many years ago I was -6 after 14 holes and three putted the last four to shoot 68. :swoon:

Cobra F8+ 9.5*, Project X Even Flow Blue 65 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 14.5*, NV Blue 70 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-pw, Recoil F3

Miura "Mind The Gap" 51*, Rogue Proto 115 S

Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Wilson Staff South Side Grant Park 34"

Tour Velvet Grips

#8 KAndyMan

KAndyMan

JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497560
  • Handicap:many
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

In a 9 hole HS match (many many moons ago) I was -1 after 7 holes. Thanks to my first and only hole-in-one so far. Had 2 rather short easy par 5s left. Thought to myself "wow its going to be easy to finish decent". Only took me 17 shots on those 2 par 5s to finish with a 42 on that 9.

#9 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2053

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Had a last hole bogie to miss shooting my age by one stroke.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf

https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#10 b.mattay

b.mattay

New WRX'er

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447380
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

The first time I was about to break par I was -5 through 17. 18 is a semi driveable par 4 and is a extremely tight dogleg left where iron is the smart play 99/100 times. I didn't just want to shoot under par, I wanted to shoot 65 :taunt: . Promptly blocked two balls OB and made a 9.

The worst one I have seen (different course) was a guy who was -6 through 13 and proceeded to go double, double, triple, quintuple, double for a smooth 80.

Edited by b.mattay, 23 August 2018 - 10:01 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ThatGuy27

ThatGuy27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108775
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

Stood on the tee of the Par 3 17th hole at my course at -3... Putted out on the Par 4 18th with a (3 over) 75...
Titleist 915 D3 Fujikura Pro 63 X-Stiff
Titleist 904 3 Wood Speeder 757 X-Stiff
Titleist 716 TMB 3-4 Iron Project X 6.5
Titleist 716 MB 5-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM4 54/60 Project X 6.5
Ontic Signature II Tour Blade

#12 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Played 9 holes will a couple of my buddies last night and I was 3 under standing on the 9th tee box. Proceeded to hit my tee shot in a water hazard and 3 putted for a double.  Still finished 1 under but not the finish I was hoping for.
KG

#13 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1374

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

Having never broken 80, I was -1 after 12 but played the last six holes +10.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

#14 Pleasedwith3putts

Pleasedwith3putts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14749
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

I made a quad on the par 4 18th on both days of the club scratch championship to miss out on the play-off by 1

The guy I was playing with had won it a number of times and was one ahead of me teeing off on the 36th yet also made a quad to join the play-off.

That was a seriously ugly hole.

The following year I was playing horrible in the first round and played the last 4 holes in 5 under to shoot level par including a hole in one on the 230 yd par 3 16th. Sums up the game.

#15 0351Duffer

0351Duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472820
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

I was thinking about posting about my most recent round.. this thread is mostly on that topic...

Played a course nearby that the Wife and I have never played before. We only had time that day for 9 holes.

Turned out to be a nice course. I'm a 22 HC and through the first six holes I was +2  (Par/Bogey/Par/Bogey/Par/Par).  On the 7th hole I knew ahead of time I was going to hit 3 wood instead of driver, because there are fairway bunkers that run 240 out to 260 on the L&R sides of the fairway.

I hit a big left pull off the tee behind the trees off the fairway and things go downhill from there ending with a quad bogey 8!  The 8th hole was a par 3... bad swing and triple bogey 6. On the 9th hole, I have to drop two, hit three and finish that hole with another triple bogey 7.

So in the last three holes I went +10 after only +2 thru the previous 6 holes. Worst three hole finish for me... Mentally, I just couldn't recover after the quad bogey 7th. It's my biggest weakness.

#16 scruffynick

scruffynick

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

View Post0351Duffer, on 23 August 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

I was thinking about posting about my most recent round.. this thread is mostly on that topic...

Played a course nearby that the Wife and I have never played before. We only had time that day for 9 holes.

Turned out to be a nice course. I'm a 22 HC and through the first six holes I was +2  (Par/Bogey/Par/Bogey/Par/Par).  On the 7th hole I knew ahead of time I was going to hit 3 wood instead of driver, because there are fairway bunkers that run 240 out to 260 on the L&R sides of the fairway.

I hit a big left pull off the tee behind the trees off the fairway and things go downhill from there ending with a quad bogey 8!  The 8th hole was a par 3... bad swing and triple bogey 6. On the 9th hole, I have to drop two, hit three and finish that hole with another triple bogey 7.

So in the last three holes I went +10 after only +2 thru the previous 6 holes. Worst three hole finish for me... Mentally, I just couldn't recover after the quad bogey 7th. It's my biggest weakness.
Not many do.... Your mind goes to mush!

#17 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Was -2 through 4 holes(eagle, par, bogey, birdie)at my home course where I’ve never broken 40 for 9 holes. 3 putt bogey on 8 and then made the mistake of looking at my card seeing what I needed on 9. Saw I needed a birdie to shoot even. Ended up having to take a drop and double bogeyed the hole. Ended up +3 38.

#18 Pulledabill

Pulledabill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478786
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

Just today I bogied 18 for a 75. A par woukd have given me a career low 74...ususlly an easy par.

#19 scruffynick

scruffynick

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

I've just done the same holes as Wednesdays nightmare 14,15,16,17,& 18th....in level pars!!!!! Arrgghh stupid flippin game

#20 fore_life

fore_life

Swung too hard, hit it too pure.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
  • Handicap:40
GolfWRX Likes : 2266

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

6 under through 14,

15 par 3, shot the flag, hit it right at it, posed like it was going in, only I picked up the yardage to the tree not the flag lol. Double.

16, easy par 4.  Double from fairway bunker that I had no business being even close to.

17, par 3 with lots of bad places to miss. I missed in the baddest of the bad. Double.

18, reachable par 5, pumped my drive ob right. Retee, hook it left, have to take a drop from bushes. Triple.

14 holes 6 under, last 4 +9

Adams Fast 12 Ls Ust 90x elements
TEE cb 16.5 Kuro Kage 80x proto
Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
718 tmb 4 iron
718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
Vokeys
Odyssey 7ch

Various other putters currently in the closet,
thinking about what they’ve done wrong,
and how they’ve hurt me so.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts

FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503072
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

I was played pretty well (for me) +14 through 15 at a pretty difficult course I had never played before and finished 8-4-9-10, wasn’t particularly meaningful but it stung I just have no idea what happened.

#22 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 3183

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

I am sure that I have probably had worse finishes score wise but the one that still sticks in my head is playing a big Open competition at my home club two, three years ago I was playing great. Level par through 13 holes then proceeded to double 14, 17 and 18. If I had played the last 5 holes in +2 I would have won, as it was, I finished well out the prizes. I had never been so angry walking off a golf course in my life and I have never been that angry since.
Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#23 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7433

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

I saw a friend make a 17 on the 54th hole of our club C

9 and he would've won the s cond flight
Ping G400 LST 10.6* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5i Altus
Ping s55 6 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

#24 ryanarneson

ryanarneson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195720
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

Not a single round, but an entire year of rounds.

I play in a after work beer league. Same course every week. Usually the same 9. For the entire season one year I'd come into hole 8 with a semi-decent score or even a good score and EVERY week I'd proceed to shoot 6 - 7 or 7 - 6 on the same last two holes. It was maddening.

It didn't matter what strategy I took off the tee, what club I chose, what side of the fairway I'd try to come in from, somehow, someway I'd play the last two holes in a combined +5. If I was safe off the tee, I'd skank the approach. If I was close the green I'd duff or skull a chip. 3 putts galore. Double duffs in the bunker. You name it.

I was cursed.

#25 Pulledabill

Pulledabill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478786
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

Shot 75 last night with 3 birdies.  That's is great, but went 5 over on the last 5 holes including a 3 putt on 18.

#26 BabaBooey17

BabaBooey17

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321001
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

Maybe not my absolute worst finish ever but today on the 2nd day of our Club Championship I had a great string of holes going to fix some of the damage I had caused on the front 9.

I was even on the back after #16.  Took a triple on #17 and was so rattled by that I f*cked my tee shot up on 18 and had to come out of the fescue sideways instead of advancing forward.  Bogey there too.
Titleist 913D2 9.5*
Ping G20 3W
Ping G30 19*
Taylormade PSi 4-AW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 56*

Cleveland RTX 2.0 60*

Scotty Cameron 2.5 Newport Select
Ball: Taylormade TP5 & Taylormade RocketBallz

#27 dgarland

dgarland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55926
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

There is this course about an hour from where I live that we play on exchange days and I always botch the last hole.  I have doubled it every time I have ever played it.  I believe I've played it 3 times total and have scores of 78, 78, 79.  It is an unusual hole in that it goes out about 250 yards where the fairway ends and then it doglegs down and to the left.  It drops 50 feet or so to a pretty narrow green.  Most of the time I hit a 2h off the tee then a short iron in from there.  This time, due to my past failures I decided to just bash driver right at it so I could have a little flip wedge in.  I hit a hook and was down below the green but only about 75 yards out or so.  Hit a wedge above the hole and proceed to 4 putt for another 6.  To make matters worse I had about a 3 footer on the previous hole for birdie which I couldn't convert.  So I take a potential 76 with a made 3 foot birdie and a par on a hole where I hit the green in regulation to a 79.  I just cannot finish at this place.
Taylor Made M1 Driver
Callaway X Hot Pro 3 Wood
Callaway X  Hot Pro 2H & 4H
Callaway X-14 Pro 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#28 flip flappy

flip flappy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

My buddy and I played a course yesterday morning that we haven't played in years. First hole is a short par 4 and I hit a beautiful 4 iron off the tee that was right down the middle with just a little draw. Got on the green and just miss a birdie putt. Next hole is a 200 yard par 3. I hit a 5 iron with the same little draw that trickled down the side slope of the green  to 1 foot from the hole! Tap in birdie. I'm thinking I have command of my long irons with these 2 beautiful shots I have just made but I have yet to hit driver. My driver turned out to be like Tiger's. Aim right only to hit a slice into the woods out of bounds. Next hole aim left and hit a snapper out of bounds. I ended up making quads on 7 & 8 and a bogey on 9. The back nine was just as monumental where I decided to leave the driver in the bag and proceeded to start slicing my 4 iron off the tee and lost 3 balls in the river. Ended up shooting a smooth 100. I went home and mowed the grass and then paid a visit to my recliner. My wife comes in from her shopping trip takes one look at me and asked me immediately what is wrong. I was still dejected 4 hours after my round!
Titleist 913 D3 10.5   
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
Ping i-e1  4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Newport Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

#29 joj

joj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61801
  • Handicap:0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Had never shot under par before. 1 under going into 17. Hit it in green side bunker, leave it in bunker, thin it over green into a backyard OB, finish with a quad.

Walked to the cart and punched the fender. Hand immediately swoll up and couldn’t even play the 18th...

#30 raholland71

raholland71

Full cords, No gloves, Can't lose!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180832
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

Finished the round at 7:15 CT today.

Was on pace to shoot my career low by more than a handful of strokes on the 16th tee. I could have bogied my way in and still have comfortably beat my previous best by a couple of strokes. Course finishes 4, 3, 4. I finished with a 7, 6, 9 including a topped 3 wood that hit a tee marker and sailed OB by a considerable distance

WITB
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors