Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How many "regular" PGA wins equal a "major" win?

199 replies to this topic

#61 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1619

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:26 PM

View Postbigred90gt, on 22 August 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 22 August 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

If you polled every professional on tour, 100% would take two majors over 6 wins. Hell they would all take one major. 2 majors is automatic poty.
And that is insane to me. If I'm playing professionally, I'm playing because I love golf and I'm planning my retirement. 6 wins gets me a lot closer to that goal than 2 majors.

You win 2 majors or 6 other tournaments (excluding some of the "also ran" tournaments) and the money will be pouring in either way from sponsorships and the like. Either option sets you up for a nice retirement.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7237

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

View Postgvogel, on 22 August 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostFootWedge16, on 22 August 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

One thing is for sure. People care WAY too much about majors. There is nothing inherently special about them. They are just tour events that have strong fields.

In fact, I think there are a number of people on this forum that would rather have Koepka's career (4 wins and 3 majors) than Dustin Johnson's career (19 wins and 1 major). Which is completely ridiculous.

Personally, I'd say majors are worth 1.5-2 high profile tour wins (Players, WGC, etc). Otherwise, I'd say they're worth 2-3 wins. However, even that is probably giving majors way too much love.

I disagree.  Even great players get really nervous for majors, and they may choke in majors.

I would say 5 to 1 or 6 to 1 for tour wins vs. majors.  People remember majors - it is the single most important statistic that we use to rank players.

Now you might say, Andy North only won 3 times, two were majors.  And I say, we remember Andy North for that.  We don't remember JC Snead, Dave Barr or Dennis Watson, guys who also won tournaments but finished second to North in the US Open.
Does an Andy North winning two majors prove or disprove that the odds are still about the same. Tiger has won about 20% of his majors. Same with Jack at 22% in his first 19 years(through age 40).  Hmm, That is quite similar to their normal run rate is it not?  Which is the angle I look at it from.  Most players-certainly not all see North and Micheel and Moody-  will win majors about as often as other events.  If it was truly that much more difficult to win a major how do some of these guys win a major and nothing or very little else?  

The USGA used to advertise that they were trying to "identify the best player" with their US Open set up.  If that truly were the case they would not have any random winners. Their setups like at Shinnecock just increase randomness into the equation.
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#63 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

View Postevgolfer, on 22 August 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

If you were a tour player at the end of your career who never won a major, but had 20 tour wins, would you trade them all for just one major?

How many tour wins would Tiger trade for 5 more major wins? How many would he trade for just three more putts falling at Bellerive?

Winning a major means near eternal flame and glory or something like it amongst pro golfers. Winning the Waste Management Open or any other regular tour event I'm sure is a great high for a pro, but in no way compares to a major.

As far as player of the year, I'd rank multiple major winner ahead of a multiple tour event winner.
So a Doug Sanders would give up his 20 wins to have a career of Micheel or Moody? one win which just happened to be a major. You think he would prefer the one win career?

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#64 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

In every sport there are always going to outliers, those guys who catch lightning in a bottle for one small stretch and never do anything after. That doesn't negate the value of the event or accomplishment in general.

#65 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

View PostJabbathePutt, on 22 August 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm not sure why people throw Darren Clarke's name around with guys like Hamilton and Micheel. He won 14 times on the European Tour and made 5 consecutive Ryder Cup teams. Oh and in 2000 he beat Tiger (in his prime) 4&3 to win the match play.
Because he won one major which means he is below Andy North in the all time greats.**

**According to some-certainly not me. But it did get Andy an announcing career so there is that.

#66 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 22 August 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostFootWedge16, on 22 August 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Postchippa13, on 22 August 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostFootWedge16, on 22 August 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostCwebb, on 22 August 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

I don't think any amount of regular wins equals a major.  They are different categories.

Similar to other sports, where no amount of regular wins, equals a playoff series win or championship.  A team could have several really good regular seasons, but if they don't do well in the playoffs or win a championship, then it's not at the same level of achievement as the others who have

This seems silly. They aren't different categories.

Majors are just golf tournaments and people decided to consider them "majors" at some point in the past. There is nothing inherently special about them. They have strong fields, just like The Players, WGC events, Bay Hill, etc.

People here trying to argue they outweigh other tour wins by 10 to 1 are absolutely delusional.

So your strategy is to keep saying the same thing over and over again and hope to brow beat those who disagree into submission?

Majors are just golf tournaments and people decided to consider them "majors" at some point in the past. There is nothing inherently special about them. They have strong fields, just like The Players, WGC events, Bay Hill, etc.

People here trying to argue they outweigh other tour wins by 10 to 1 are absolutely delusional.

Use that rationale and try to get into the Hall of fame. Then let me know how delusional it is.  

A major is not the same. If it were everyone would eventually win one.  The setup to the atmosphere is not the same. Not to mention it's the only evens outside the players where the fields aren't padded by 60 no names trying to make a check and keep a card.
:)  Why would everyone win one? Everyone does not win a tour event period. If they are so difficult how do we get guys ranked so low winning majors?
https://en.wikipedia..._Cooper_(golfer)

https://en.wikipedia...Macdonald_Smith

#67 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostShilgy, on 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

So your strategy is to keep saying the same thing over and over again and hope to brow beat those who disagree into submission?

Use that rationale and try to get into the Hall of fame. Then let me know how delusional it is.  

A major is not the same. If it were everyone would eventually win one.  The setup to the atmosphere is not the same. Not to mention it's the only evens outside the players where the fields aren't padded by 60 no names trying to make a check and keep a card.
:)  Why would everyone win one? Everyone does not win a tour event period. If they are so difficult how do we get guys ranked so low winning majors?

Seriously, someone doesn't understand the concept of outliers as it pertains to sports.

#68 Vardon Grip

Vardon Grip

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75258
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

If you haven't figured it out, the correct number is 3.5 wins = 1 major.

#69 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290733
GolfWRX Likes : 3203

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

View Postevgolfer, on 22 August 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

If you were a tour player at the end of your career who never won a major, but had 20 tour wins, would you trade them all for just one major?

How many tour wins would Tiger trade for 5 more major wins? How many would he trade for just three more putts falling at Bellerive?

Winning a major means near eternal flame and glory or something like it amongst pro golfers. Winning the Waste Management Open or any other regular tour event I'm sure is a great high for a pro, but in no way compares to a major.

As far as player of the year, I'd rank multiple major winner ahead of a multiple tour event winner.

20 wins for me fwiw
Lifetime exemption.....financial stability over that period of 20 wins.....and beating everybody 20freaking times!

#70 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

View Postchippa13, on 22 August 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

Seriously, someone doesn't understand the concept of outliers as it pertains to sports.
So you agree with the post I replied to? That every event except the majors and Players has 60 players just "padding the field"? That's what makes the majors so valuable?

If majors are so valuable, worth 10 regular wins, why are there 2 time majors winners not in?
Zoeller
Stockton
Janzen*
North
Daly*
Cabrera*

* Doubting these with two will get in.

Look at the all time win list versus the all time majors list. If majors were so valuable and hard to win went are they not even more heavily tilted to the superstars? Why are there so many random winners? Could it be because the total win list is more by merit than selecting four events that show a more random type of winner?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 hook_or_slice

hook_or_slice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34378
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostFootWedge16, on 22 August 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

I don't think any amount of regular wins equals a major.  They are different categories.

Similar to other sports, where no amount of regular wins, equals a playoff series win or championship.  A team could have several really good regular seasons, but if they don't do well in the playoffs or win a championship, then it's not at the same level of achievement as the others who have

Use that rationale and try to get into the Hall of fame.  Then let me know how delusional it is.  

A major is not the same. If it were everyone would eventually win one.  The setup to the atmosphere is not the same. Not to mention it’s the only evens outside the players where the fields aren’t padded by 60 no names trying to make a check and keep a card.
Yes ,the answer right now is 7.5 regular tour wins equals one Major.
It used to be 5.

The reason why this is the answer : to be considered for induction into the World Golf Hall of Fame you need 15 tour wins OR 2 Majors.

#72 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 4290

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Same as tennis. I defy anyone to name a player who won a non grand slam event last year.

#73 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 25031

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

View Postchippa13, on 22 August 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

In every sport there are always going to outliers, those guys who catch lightning in a bottle for one small stretch and never do anything after. That doesn't negate the value of the event or accomplishment in general.

Didn't Rich Beem win the old International in 2002 and then a week or two later win the PGA?  Lightning in a bottle...yes.

#74 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4370

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

View Postplaya, on 22 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Same as tennis. I defy anyone to name a player who won a non grand slam event last year.

Alexander Zverev
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#75 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring so I guess that means Brady's 5 rings aren't all that impressive.

#76 FootWedge16

FootWedge16

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 510250
  • Handicap:100
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

View Postchippa13, on 23 August 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring so I guess that means Brady's 5 rings aren't all that impressive.

It also means he's a better QB than Dan Marino, right?

#77 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

Outliers, people, outliers.

#78 hook_or_slice

hook_or_slice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34378
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

The PGA tour defines it as 5.
Win a Major.....5 year exemption.
Win a regular tournament.. 1 year exemption, each additional win in a year gets an additional year exemption.

Edited by hook_or_slice, 23 August 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#79 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

View Posthook_or_slice, on 23 August 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Win a regular tournament.. 1 year exemption, each additional win in a year gets an additional year exemption.
That would be two years and additional wins get you an extra win up to five years total.

Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, whose victories are considered official, within the last two seasons, or during the current season; winners receive an additional season of exemption for each additional win, up to five seasons:

#80 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4370

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostFootWedge16, on 23 August 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

View Postchippa13, on 23 August 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

It also means he's a better QB than Dan Marino, right?

Does this mean Joe Flacco is Andy North?

Is Andy North elite?

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 2017

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostShilgy, on 23 August 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

View Posthook_or_slice, on 23 August 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

That would be two years and additional wins get you an extra win up to five years total.

Winners of PGA TOUR co-sponsored or approved tournaments, whose victories are considered official, within the last two seasons, or during the current season; winners receive an additional season of exemption for each additional win, up to five seasons:

Also:
3 year exemption for Arnold Palmer, Memorial, or a WGC.
5 year exemption for the Players.

So I guess the Players really is the fifth major....

#82 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Time is the greatest leveler of what holds up....like sports resumes, cars, movies, companies, shoe size, politics etc...

Best guys to answer this would be the Champion tour guys.... cause they know what holds up over time and who ranks where amongst themselves based on majors vs reg wins.
G30 LS
M2 BMW
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOffOnAgain Kuros
Cleveland Blob
Square Strike
SeeMore Butts

#83 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4012

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Four....The answer is four. Did I win?
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby  KE4  14* 3w , Axe Excaliber  R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
   Mizuno MP30  5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

#84 cbutcher1547

cbutcher1547

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501376
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:05 PM

I wonder how many "regular" -(not limited to PGA Tour)- wins Lee Westwood and Colin Montgomerie would give back in favor of a major.

#85 Vardon Grip

Vardon Grip

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75258
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

View Postcbutcher1547, on 23 August 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

I wonder how many "regular" -(not limited to PGA Tour)- wins Lee Westwood and Colin Montgomerie would give back in favor of a major.

None, the pay for a regular win is too  good to give it up multiple 1sts for one.

#86 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 1030

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:26 PM

Zero, majors are the only thing anyone remembers. Regular events are not equal.
Michigan Bag                                     Florida Bag
Callaway XR Pro 16  9.5                    Mizuno  850 9.5
Callaway Rouge SZ 15*                     Tour Edge Exotic CB Pro F2 15*
Callaway Rouge SZ 18*.                    Tour Edge Exotic  CB Pro F2 18*
TEE CBX Hybrid 22*                          Tour Edge Exotic CB Pro U 21*
  Callaway 18 X Forged  5 - PW          Callaway 18 Apex MB 4 - PW
  Callaway MD Forged  50*, 56*.         Mizuno Forged 51*, 56*
  Evnroll ER2                                       Odyssey 9HT
  Taylormade TP5X.                            Taylormade TP5X

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

#87 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 20013

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

View Postcbutcher1547, on 23 August 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Westy and Monty major quest like

#88 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,721 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

View Postputtingmatt, on 23 August 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

Zero, majors are the only thing anyone remembers. Regular events are not equal.
Are you sure about that? How many events did Nelson win in a row in '45? How many total?  Without looking it up what year did Bruce Crampton win the Open?

:)

Edited by Shilgy, 23 August 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#89 Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso

Ooooh, that's a duff.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497680
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

Which team has been the  winner of the most regular season games the most times in the NHL regular season?  NBA?  NFL?  MLB?  MLS?  Few people would know outside of hardcore statisticians.  But even casual NHL fans know the Canadiens have the most Stanley Cups and casual baseball fans will know the Yankees have the most World Series wins.  Championships are in a category all by themselves and deservedly so.  The most pressure, facing the best prepared and best players of the season, 4 times, winner take all.  Sure there have been some oddball winners but given a long period of time, the greats always shine brightest in the majors.  No amount of regular season wins compares to winning a major.

Edited by Johnnypenso, 23 August 2018 - 11:00 PM.

#90 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1248

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

I don't think you can really come up with a number.  There are certain tournaments that are a little more "prestigious" than others but a win is still a win.  Majors are in another category for me and that's coming from somebody who does agree that the media tends to overrate the majors sometimes.

915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors