Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ALDILA DVS OR ALDILA NVS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grey

Grey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46299
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:07 AM

My ss is 90-95.  I am looking to shaft a Cobra speed LD-M 9.5 offset with either an Aldila DVS 65-R or an Aldila NVS 65-R.  What would the difference in trajectory and dispersion be between the two all things being equal?  I had great success with the stock 56 gram regular NVS in the Cobra speed LD-M 5000 (2007 version) 9 degree offset, since then has been discontinued and replaced with a Graphite Design which I really don't like as the torque is higher, feel isn't good, and the results are not good as the despersion is higher.  Is it possible to get the older stock shaft in the newer model?  I had an opportunity to try the DVS-55R in the Macgregor MT460 10.5 and that worked fairly well.  My bad shot is a push right which is why I opt for the offset.  I need some guidance in understanding which shaft would be of better benefit to me, please.  
Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kylemacca01

kylemacca01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52920
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

I think the NVS is very very soft and very very high launch and spin. For me i have hit an NVS once and it was completely uncontrolable (SS is 120mph on a good day though). From what i understand the DVS is a high launch but lower spinning shaft than the NVS with a firmer tip. Should also player more true to flex.

#3 generalpatton

generalpatton

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16215
  • Ebay ID:klassicgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

I have owned both shafts albeit in different heads.  I don't know specifics in regards to butt stiffness between the 2 etc., but I found the NVS to hit very high for me with lot's of spin....and at times it was tough to control.  I swing around 105 and felt like I was overpowering a stiff flex.  The DVS, on the other hand, is a wonderful higher launch shaft.  It's still smooth but it feels tighter with a high launch but no moon-balls.  I also feel like the DVS plays more to flex than the NVS, which I felt played about half a flex weak.  I think the NVS is a fine shaft for a smooth swinger with a moderate swing speed but for me, the DVS is the best choice.  I have one coming to try in my Tour Burner, with the low spin attributes of that head, I think this is going to be a dynamite combo.

#4 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Ebay ID:chisag
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

Grey, on May 27 2008, 04:07 AM, said:

My ss is 90-95.  I am looking to shaft a Cobra speed LD-M 9.5 offset with either an Aldila DVS 65-R or an Aldila NVS 65-R.  What would the difference in trajectory and dispersion be between the two all things being equal?  I had great success with the stock 56 gram regular NVS in the Cobra speed LD-M 5000 (2007 version) 9 degree offset, since then has been discontinued and replaced with a Graphite Design which I really don't like as the torque is higher, feel isn't good, and the results are not good as the dispersion is higher.  Is it possible to get the older stock shaft in the newer model?  I had an opportunity to try the DVS-55R in the Macgregor MT460 10.5 and that worked fairly well.  My bad shot is a push right which is why I opt for the offset.  I need some guidance in understanding which shaft would be of better benefit to me, please.  
Thanks.

... Contrary to forum golfers beliefs, many golfers need MORE spin. The ball spins less, the heads spin less and most average players with moderate swingspeeds need the additional spin to keep the ball in the air longer. The NVS has a soft tip and a soft butt end. The soft tip gives you additional kick and height. This works very well for a smooth swinger or someone with a swingspeed around 95 and below. It really is a great shaft if it fits your style of swing. However, hard hitters, or those with a short quick load will overpower the softer tip.

... The tip section of the DVS is almost as soft as the NVS. Certainly softer than the NV and VS Proto. However, the butt end of the DVS is stiffer than the NV and VS Proto. Aldila incorporated a very stiff butt end and lower torque to create a completely different shaft with the DVS so it is unfair to put it in the same category as the NVS. Many of the Pro's were not getting enough spin for optimum driving efficiency!!! Even stronger hitters can play the DVS. It "feels" stiffer than it plays, which for most golfers is a good thing. Some players that could benefit from the NVS couldn't play it because it just felt too whippy. Yet others with slower swingspeeds or very smooth tempo's loved the kick and very smooth feel of the NVS. And there are no hard and fast rules as Nick Price played the NVS for a long time, and you would certainly classify him as a hitter.

... Unless you already have experience with the NVS and have had good results, you really have to demo both. There are players that have had success with the NVS, that will enjoy a performance boost from the DVS because of the consistency nano tubes create, and the lower torque will help tighten their dispersion. However, others may find the DVS "feels" a little too stiff and may actually lose distance. You can never underestimate the effect of feel. PGA Pro's being fit with a new shaft will take no more than 3 swings, because after that, they begin making adjustments to accommodate their ball flight and feel, by swinging harder or softer. Of course that is the LAST thing you want to do, as the shaft should accommodate your swing, not the other way around. So if you already played an NVS with great results, you may want to demo a DVS side by side with an NVS and see which gives you the best ballflight and feel. Otherwise if it ain't broke...

Edited by chisag, 27 May 2008 - 08:22 AM.

#5 herkyjerk

herkyjerk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10464
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Prior post is good by chisaq.  I have played both of these shafts.  I easily prefer the NVS for feel, DVS you can go after it more.  My SS is about 90-95 with a smoother tempo.  I played a NVS 65 S in my prior driver and clobbered it.  The frequency of the NVS stiff is about the same as the NV & DVS R.  An awesome FEELING shaft, way better than any other Aldila IMO.  The DVS plays more stout, I currently play a 60 R and it's plenty firm.  I did not have the control issues others had, again this shaft is not for gorillas.  Funny to read about the guy with a 120 SS hitting an NVS.  Huh?  You should be hitting rebar you gorilla.  That shaft is waay to soft for you.  I miss the feel of NVS, VS Proto or DVS isn't close.  My swing needs that extra spin, may go back to NVS eventually.  First I have a Diamana Red 63 on the way.  God Bless I-Mix.

Edited by herkyjerk, 27 May 2008 - 08:58 AM.

Ping G25 8.5* Rip'd NV 65
TaylorMade RBZ 15* NV 75
TaylorMade RBZ 22* 25* 28* NVS 85
Callaway X-Hot 6-SW
Ping iWedge 58*
Heavy Putter DY-3

#6 kylemacca01

kylemacca01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52920
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

LOL i only hit one with a friends driver, a hibore XL with the NVS in S flex. It was quite comical actually into a little wind hang time was like 15 seconds and it went no where. Felt like i was gona snap it.

Edited by kylemacca01, 27 May 2008 - 09:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors