Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

.335 tip vs. .350


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 venturagolfer87

venturagolfer87

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42595
  • Joined: 11/22/2007
  • Location:Ventura, California
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

i just ordered a tour burner 10.5 from a recent demo day i went to.  there were a couple with different shafts to try out aside form the stock fujikura 60g shaft, which isn't half bad by the way.  anyways they had a proforce v2 65, a pershing 65, and an aldila vs proto by you 65, all in stiff flex.  i just found out that the tour burners use .350 tip size shafts.  i just wanted to know, do .350 tip size shafts play a bit stiffer to flex compared to .335 tip shafts? because when i tried out the tour burner with the proforce v2, it was the exact same shaft as the one i have in my 425 tp, but it felt like it played a lot stiffer than mine does, and the 425 is a .335 tip size head.  i'm just wondering this because although i was content with the stock shaft and it was performing pretty good for me, i know that i'm going to want to tinker around with shafts, and was just wondering, if i play stiff in a .335 tip shaft, could it be possible that i might have to go down to regular in a .350?  the stock shaft didn't feel too stiff at all, but that was probably due to the very light weight of it...so, anyone?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hbear

hbear

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3507
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Edmonton, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

Don't know about cpm or anything, but I do feel the .350 tips to play stiffer than the .335.

Not sure if it's a full/half flex or anything, but for surely stiffer.
Callaway XHot Pro w/ Ahina 70x
Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*
Odyssey ProType #2

#3 thewitt

thewitt

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yes, the tip will be stiffer on a .350 shaft than on the same shaft with a .335 tip.

Making the diameter larger and the walls thicker is one of the mechanisms used by shaft designers make shafts stiffer...

-t

#4 venturagolfer87

venturagolfer87

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42595
  • Joined: 11/22/2007
  • Location:Ventura, California
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

View Postthewitt, on May 27 2008, 07:50 AM, said:

Yes, the tip will be stiffer on a .350 shaft than on the same shaft with a .335 tip.

Making the diameter larger and the walls thicker is one of the mechanisms used by shaft designers make shafts stiffer...

-t

so should i go down to regular or stick with the stiff, if and when i decide to change the shaft? my swingspeed is around 96-101 mph.


oh and what about the possibility of using those brass shims in order to fit a .335 shaft into the .350 head.  has anyone had any experiences with those things and would it be a good idea? part of me thinks it would be a good idea but the other part of me is thinking it might be a little sketchy and on a good enough swing it could end up breaking and damaging the shaft and/or head.

Edited by venturagolfer87, 27 May 2008 - 01:44 PM.


#5 thewitt

thewitt

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

Shimming a .335 into a .350 hosel is a standard practice done by clubmakers every day. As long as you prep the shim, shaft and hosel, and use a shim designed for the job you'll be fine.

As for going up or down in flex to try to make a .335 tip shaft play like a .350 shaft - that's an exercise in futility.

The .350 shaft will not be a full flex stiffer - it will simply have a different tip stiffness and so a different flex profile.

-t


#6 venturagolfer87

venturagolfer87

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42595
  • Joined: 11/22/2007
  • Location:Ventura, California
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:54 PM

View Postthewitt, on May 27 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

Shimming a .335 into a .350 hosel is a standard practice done by clubmakers every day. As long as you prep the shim, shaft and hosel, and use a shim designed for the job you'll be fine.

As for going up or down in flex to try to make a .335 tip shaft play like a .350 shaft - that's an exercise in futility.

The .350 shaft will not be a full flex stiffer - it will simply have a different tip stiffness and so a different flex profile.

-t

thanks for the info, the club guy at my local golf shop is really good with shafts and stuff, so if i end up having to go with a .335 and going the shim route, i can trust him, but i wasn't talking about changing flex to make a .335 play like a .350, i was asking if anybody knew how much stiffer the .350 shaft was compared to a .335 and if it was enough to go down a flex, but i guess it isn't, and i've decided on a graphite design ys-6+ which i have found brand new for a bargain, and the characteristics of it, from what i've read, seem to fit the bill as far as what i'm looking for.  just a sidenote, anybody game this shaft, and what they like about it?

#7 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782
  • Joined: 04/15/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

Can you really tell the difference between .335 and .350?

#8 thewitt

thewitt

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

View PostKing Bogey, on May 28 2008, 02:14 AM, said:

Can you really tell the difference between .335 and .350?

It's going to depend on whether or not you can tell the difference between a tip stiff shaft and one that's not tip stiff.

It will be both shaft and golfer dependent.

No one answer here.

The shafts ARE different - and measurably so.  Whether or not that's an issue will be golfer dependent.

-t

#9 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782
  • Joined: 04/15/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

I don't believe the majority of us can tell a damn bit of difference. I get a kick out of some people that play 2-3 a month worried about tip diameter...I have a few playing partners like this. Just go play...

#10 Mattro

Mattro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37804
  • Joined: 08/20/2007
  • Location:Guthrie, OK
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

As far as the YS6+ shaft goes I think you'll find it will play a little weeker than the flex.  At least when I gamed one in an S flex it played more in the middle of S and R.  So with what you were asking about with the stiffness differences in .350 and .335 playing an S in the .350 maybe like the middle of the road for you.  Just my thinking on it.  All in all I loved mine, and I imagine the person that stole it likes it too.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 willpeoples

willpeoples

    THE WILL PEOPLES!

  • Sponsors
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Joined: 04/05/2008
  • Location:Western North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

i used a shim and never noticed any difference.  i am about to do it again with the tour burner, i got a great deal on the dvs shaft and its .335 so i will have to shim it.

#12 hbear

hbear

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3507
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Edmonton, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

View PostKing Bogey, on May 28 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

I don't believe the majority of us can tell a damn bit of difference. I get a kick out of some people that play 2-3 a month worried about tip diameter...I have a few playing partners like this. Just go play...

Only reason I know there is a difference is because I had reshafted my backup 3 wood with a .335 shimmed to .350....and once I swung the club side by side with my current .350 I instantly knew something was different/off.  Even did a blind (mixed up the 2 clubs so I didn't know which was which) and felt the same.

Then did a few seaches and viola the .335 will play softer in the tip than a .350.

So in my specific case and specific shaft I had no problems telling the tips apart....
not to say I'd be able to notice with every shaft...
Callaway XHot Pro w/ Ahina 70x
Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*
Odyssey ProType #2

#13 clubshack

clubshack

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48636
  • Joined: 02/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

It will play 1/2 flex stiffer. So go down to regular flex and you will love it. I bought the Cleveland HiBore 3 and 5 fairways for just this reason. They had .350 shafts and I wanted a regular flex shaft. When I hit them, they were the longest most controllable fairways I had hit, and I hit all of them. Every time I hit them on the fairway, I say "That is why I bought them". Now I have my wife saying it. "That is why you bought them".

#14 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782
  • Joined: 04/15/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

View Posthbear, on May 28 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

View PostKing Bogey, on May 28 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

I don't believe the majority of us can tell a damn bit of difference. I get a kick out of some people that play 2-3 a month worried about tip diameter...I have a few playing partners like this. Just go play...

Only reason I know there is a difference is because I had reshafted my backup 3 wood with a .335 shimmed to .350....and once I swung the club side by side with my current .350 I instantly knew something was different/off. Even did a blind (mixed up the 2 clubs so I didn't know which was which) and felt the same.

Then did a few seaches and viola the .335 will play softer in the tip than a .350.

So in my specific case and specific shaft I had no problems telling the tips apart....
not to say I'd be able to notice with every shaft...

I will buy that....you had specific experience...I wish more folks would post this type of response, instead of typing what they have heard from who knows who

#15 venturagolfer87

venturagolfer87

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42595
  • Joined: 11/22/2007
  • Location:Ventura, California
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostKing Bogey, on May 28 2008, 05:07 PM, said:

View Posthbear, on May 28 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

View PostKing Bogey, on May 28 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

I don't believe the majority of us can tell a damn bit of difference. I get a kick out of some people that play 2-3 a month worried about tip diameter...I have a few playing partners like this. Just go play...

Only reason I know there is a difference is because I had reshafted my backup 3 wood with a .335 shimmed to .350....and once I swung the club side by side with my current .350 I instantly knew something was different/off. Even did a blind (mixed up the 2 clubs so I didn't know which was which) and felt the same.

Then did a few seaches and viola the .335 will play softer in the tip than a .350.

So in my specific case and specific shaft I had no problems telling the tips apart....
not to say I'd be able to notice with every shaft...

I will buy that....you had specific experience...I wish more folks would post this type of response, instead of typing what they have heard from who knows who

that's the whole reason i started this thread, because when i was demoing the drivers i did notice a difference compared to my normal driver, i just had a hard time trying to figure out just HOW MUCH of a difference, whether it was a full flex or half flex or whatever.  anyways, if the ys6+ does play weaker to flex, but the .350 tip makes play a half flex stiffer, than that means they'll cancel each other out and i can play a normal stiff...problem solved!


#16 maop99

maop99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35702
  • Joined: 07/27/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

So if I understand this thread correctly, if I were to put a .335 stiff flex shimmed into a .350 bore it will play a little softer...

would tipping the .335 shaft advisable? 1/4 or 1/2 inch to make it play a little stiffer?

is there also some difference in torque?

Thanks.

#17 tElihu

tElihu

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
  • Joined: 07/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm bringing this up because I would like to know myself. I've been doing some investigation on this, and I'm not sure what is said above is 100% correct.

It seems what most above are saying with regards to stiffness is how it feels, not the actual physical measurement of stiffness (in cpm). The same model shaft with a .335 tip but the same flex rating as the same .350 shaft would have the same cpm but just would feel less boardy (i.e. feel softer). So going from a 335 to a 350 would not change the actual flex of the club, but would just change how it feels.

For those who are experts on this, is my thinking correct? Is there a difference in actual characteristics between the same .335 and .350 shafts, or is it only in the feel of the club?

(If there's another thread on this, please point me in that direction. Thanks.)

#18 goodguy

goodguy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18738
  • Joined: 09/01/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

I had the same question, good thread.

#19 youraway2

youraway2

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Joined: 02/24/2007
  • Location:Niceville Florida
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

View Postventuragolfer87, on 27 May 2008 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Postthewitt, on May 27 2008, 07:50 AM, said:

Yes, the tip will be stiffer on a .350 shaft than on the same shaft with a .335 tip.

Making the diameter larger and the walls thicker is one of the mechanisms used by shaft designers make shafts stiffer...

-t

so should i go down to regular or stick with the stiff, if and when i decide to change the shaft? my swingspeed is around 96-101 mph.


oh and what about the possibility of using those brass shims in order to fit a .335 shaft into the .350 head.  has anyone had any experiences with those things and would it be a good idea? part of me thinks it would be a good idea but the other part of me is thinking it might be a little sketchy and on a good enough swing it could end up breaking and damaging the shaft and/or head.

I've used brass shim adapters many times, but prefer to use the correct shaft adapter. For instance you can purchase and adapter that snugly fits a .355 shaft in place of the .350.

#20 tElihu

tElihu

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
  • Joined: 07/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

What's the difference? I was under the impression that a brass shim WAS the correct adapter.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors