Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why are the WITB's so out of date for PGA Champions Tour players?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirit76

Spirit76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366943
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

I wonder if GOLFWRX would consider hiring a photographer to follow the PGA Tour Champions.   One man cannot cover all tours, obviously, although Mike does a great job at the events he does cover.   So many of the guys whose bags I want to see now are only available from 5 years ago, if at all.

Edited by Spirit76, 19 August 2018 - 12:00 PM.

DRIVER: PING
3W: CALLAWAY

2H: CALLAWAY
3,4,5 HY: MIZUNO
6-PW: PING i210
GW: TAYLORMADE

SW: MIZUNO
LW: TAYLORMADE
P: WILSON
B: TITLEIST
G: FOOTJOY
S: FOOTJOY
B: PING PIONEER

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:53 AM

I absolutely love the WITB photos.

Even as a one off I'd love to see an ET event. There is a lot of crossover between tours particularly with the WGCs, majors etc but I bet there are some really interesting bag setups we unfortunately never see.

I appreciate this is a very difficult task and as noted above the job already being done is truly excellent.

Edited by OldTomMorris, 20 August 2018 - 08:32 AM.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x

#3 evgolfer

evgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464352
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

Greg Moore discussed this in a podcast this month. He goes where the most interest is, which is the PGA tour, and not so much Champions or even LPGA for that matter.

If there is not high interest, I can't see it would make sense for GolfWRX to hire one person for Champions.

That being said, nothing keeps you OP'er from attending a Champions event and posting some WITB pics here. If interest fires up, maybe they'll consider your idea.

Edited by evgolfer, 22 August 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#4 wts

wts

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 337621
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

I would also love to see the Champions Tour bags. I'm guessing that most of the members on this site have more in common with the Champions Tour swings than they do with the PGA tour swings even if they don't want to admit it. I just came from the Shaw Classic Champions Tour tournament and I saw a lot of older model clubs in their bags, even some Ping G30 drivers. Not to mention some old head covers with some old woods or hybrids in them. So I guess maybe they haven't gotten caught up in all the hype of the new clubs. Yes a few new M3 drivers but lots of M2s, maybe more M2s from what I saw. Come on GolfWRX maybe once a year send someone to have a look and put them in the WITB section. I'm sure once a year is enough for that tour as they don't change like the wind for equipment.

Edited by wts, 02 September 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#5 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

Rotate between LPGA and Champions. Most of us should be copying the womens swings more than the mens anyway.

Edited by Cwing, 02 September 2018 - 07:17 PM.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G25 5-U
Cleveland RTX 54*
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
Seemore si5
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#6 Spirit76

Spirit76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:16 PM

View PostCwing, on 02 September 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

Rotate between LPGA and Champions. Most of us should be copying the womens swings more than the mens anyway.

Totally agree.  And not just their swings, but also what they have in their bags.  It is more relatable to more players than the heavy x-shafts a lot of guys are gaming on the PGA Tour.

#7 Spirit76

Spirit76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:20 PM

View Postwts, on 02 September 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

I would also love to see the Champions Tour bags. I'm guessing that most of the members on this site have more in common with the Champions Tour swings than they do with the PGA tour swings even if they don't want to admit it. I just came from the Shaw Classic Champions Tour tournament and I saw a lot of older model clubs in their bags, even some Ping G30 drivers. Not to mention some old head covers with some old woods or hybrids in them. So I guess maybe they haven't gotten caught up in all the hype of the new clubs. Yes a few new M3 drivers but lots of M2s, maybe more M2s from what I saw. Come on GolfWRX maybe once a year send someone to have a look and put them in the WITB section. I'm sure once a year is enough for that tour as they don't change like the wind for equipment.

You've hit the nail on the proverbial head.  But you also allude to whether or not people would admit that the PGA Tour Champions bags are more relatable.   Ego will play a large role in that answer.  I also love that there are many players without a full sponsors bag.  A player like Bernhard Langer is a great example.  He has what I would call a 'Frankenstein Bag' and I mean that in the most complimentary sense.  I have one too and it's based on playing what works rather than sticking to one brand because you are paid to do so (pro level) or are just a big fan of the brand (most of the rest of us).

I just think that it's a shame that there isn't a once a year review of their bags.  It doesn't have to be week in and week out like it is on the main tour.  As you said they are unlikely to make many if any changes to their bag set up all year...and quite often multiple years.

#8 wts

wts

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 337621
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

Well we'll see if the people in power will do this. But my guess is they won't, as you have to push the best(PGA Tour) for anyone to come to the website it would seem as it's what sells.

Ego's, ha-ha, I'm sure there are lots of those on this site. When I read that someone says they are a 2 hdcp (or 3 or 4 or??) but they can't keep the ball in the short grass etc etc, you know the bs is in full gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors