Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized Rangefinder

38 replies to this topic

#31 Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

El Troll Slayer! Olé, olé, olé!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41635
  • Ebay ID:hrfdez1966
GolfWRX Likes : 584

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, is kind of lame, but Leupold is 100% quality, which is why I didn’t get rid of it.  I’m a competition shooter, and all my long range rifles optics are either Nikon or Leupold, there’s nothing better out there.

At the end of the day, I don’t find removing one sunglasses to use a rangefinder as a deal breaker.

PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......

Equipment:

A bag full of PXG’s
SC 009

“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostGolfer4Life, on 03 October 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Yeah, is kind of lame, but Leupold is 100% quality, which is why I didn’t get rid of it.  I’m a competition shooter, and all my long range rifles optics are either Nikon or Leupold, there’s nothing better out there.

At the end of the day, I don’t find removing one sunglasses to use a rangefinder as a deal breaker.
Agreed.  I just find it a bit annoying and unexpected.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Callaway Apex 6i - 9i, AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Maltby TS-1 PW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

#33 Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

El Troll Slayer! Olé, olé, olé!

• 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41635
  • Ebay ID:hrfdez1966
GolfWRX Likes : 584

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 03 October 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

View PostGolfer4Life, on 03 October 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Agreed.  I just find it a bit annoying and unexpected.

I understand.
PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......

Equipment:

A bag full of PXG’s
SC 009

“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

#34 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 03 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Nikon could have changed the design between the two models.

I have an older Nikon - the LR550 (Callaway branded) I can see if it has the same issue.  I normally never try to use it w/ Sunglasses but now you have me curious.

#35 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostStuart G., on 03 October 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

I have an older Nikon - the LR550 (Callaway branded) I can see if it has the same issue.  I normally never try to use it w/ Sunglasses but now you have me curious.
My previous Callaway/Nikon (on its last legs prompting the new prchase) does not have this issue, hence why I was so surprised.

Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Callaway Apex 6i - 9i, AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Maltby TS-1 PW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4

#36 coloradojer

coloradojer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98417
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 03 October 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

My previous Callaway/Nikon (on its last legs prompting the new prchase) does not have this issue, hence why I was so surprised.
I had the same problem using polarized sunglasses with the Nikon 80i VR.  Non-polarized lenses weren't a problem, and if you turned the 80i VR 90 degress with polarized lenses you could see well enough to get a reading.  It was enough of a deal breaker for me to return it.  Just wanted to say thanks for posting this because you're the first person I've heard that has had the same issue I had.  It doesn't help you at all, but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there.

#37 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

View Postcoloradojer, on 03 October 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostThinkingPlus, on 03 October 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

I had the same problem using polarized sunglasses with the Nikon 80i VR.  Non-polarized lenses weren't a problem, and if you turned the 80i VR 90 degress with polarized lenses you could see well enough to get a reading.  It was enough of a deal breaker for me to return it.  Just wanted to say thanks for posting this because you're the first person I've heard that has had the same issue I had.  It doesn't help you at all, but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there.
I seriously considered returning mine.  I decided to live with the annoyance.  Or maybe its an excuse to buy a pair of non-polarized sunglasses and see if it helps with reading grain. :yes:

#38 ChadR7371

ChadR7371

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485608
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:48 AM

For what it's worth, there are two different families of polarization: linear and circular.  You can have a lot of different experiences given the type of polarization you have.

For instance, most people know that looking at an LCD screen like an old cell phone, you can't see if you rotate the phone 90 degrees while wearing some polarized sunglasses.

The Oakley Prizm Polarized (the few lenses that actually are polarized) I've seen do something different and don't seem to have traditional issues, so they might be circular polarized.  Another example of circular polarization is 3d movie theatres now.  They actually project the two different pictures with left and right circular polarized light.  They can't use linear because tilting your head would cause the screen to dim significantly.

I can't answer whether the rangefinder has a polarized coating, but you'd have to have the opposite polarization and the correct family to notice anything other than some dimming.

If you both need this rangefinder and need a specific pair of sunglasses, you might be able to try the polarizer magic trick - put a 3rd polarizer (I think must be linear) on the viewer of the rangefinder and rotate it until you can see an image.  This polarizer will shift the light angle far enough that you should be able to see again.

#39 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:01 AM

View PostChadR7371, on 04 October 2018 - 03:48 AM, said:

The Oakley Prizm Polarized (the few lenses that actually are polarized) I've seen do something different and don't seem to have traditional issues

For instance, most people know that looking at an LCD screen like an old cell phone, you can't see if you rotate the phone 90 degrees while wearing some polarized sunglasses.

ATM's seem particularly annoying in this respect.   But I've read that, because of this, many polarized sunglasses are now moving to orient the linear polarization at a 45* angle to reduce much of the glare but still allow viewing the LCD output.  Don't know if that's the case for the Oakley's or not.

And a quick check to determine if a polarizer is linear or circular is to look through in both directions.   The linear polarizer will work the same both ways,  a circular is only one way.

Edited by Stuart G., 04 October 2018 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors