Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Viktor Hovland


43 replies to this topic

#31 nix

nix

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Joined: 03/23/2017
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 833

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

Great job by Fox. I tuned into the start of us amateur championship and on the very first hole they show, one competitor is  5 down. Just fantastic.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 double or triple?

double or triple?

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2748
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 355

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

View Postnix, on 20 August 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Great job by Fox. I tuned into the start of us amateur championship and on the very first hole they show, one competitor is  5 down. Just fantastic.

Not they’re fault the championship match went the way it did.

2

#33 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 7051

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Well deserved win.  The kid totally earned the victory, dominant performance.
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

3

#34 JL1

JL1

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484030
  • Joined: 10/10/2017
  • Location:USA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

View Postnix, on 20 August 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Great job by Fox. I tuned into the start of us amateur championship and on the very first hole they show, one competitor is  5 down. Just fantastic.

The best part was when Buck asked Azinger what his thoughts were on the outcome of the match and Paul said he couldn't call it, like it was going to go down to the wire. I just laughed out loud at that one.

4

#35 scott_Donald

scott_Donald

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104074
  • Joined: 02/28/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

View Postnix, on 20 August 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Great job by Fox. I tuned into the start of us amateur championship and on the very first hole they show, one competitor is  5 down. Just fantastic.

\I watched it on the USGA website, nice coverage on there and gave up when they were on 4 in the second round.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X


Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9  C taper X


Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400


Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217


5

#36 sisk61

sisk61

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75446
  • Joined: 02/16/2009
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

I watched some of the final and Viktor has quite a bit of game.  Very poised it seemed.  One other thing, like me he is evidence that the adjustable one-size-fits-all caps are not one size fits all.  I am on the other end of the spectrum though.  I wish they could have gotten him a cap that fit better.  Just a pet peeve of mine.  Congrats to Viktor, OSU and Norway.

6

#37 Pepe8714

Pepe8714

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1202
  • Joined: 05/29/2005
  • Location:CA
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:02 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 20 August 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

View Postevenpar72, on 19 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Just a question, do schools give incentives to these guys representing their colleges?  Would be cool to see Viktor rep all Norwegian attire.

No

Yes, but many countries give 'incentives' to their athletes competing in college athletics. Call it a scholarship, stipend, whatever. They are 'assisted' by their home countries, regardless of income level. I have personal experience with this across multiple sports. Typically direct deposit on a monthly basis.

Norway is one of those countries that offers it. Sweden, Germany, Italy, Estonia do as well,

7

#38 Club Guru

Club Guru

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45171
  • Joined: 01/06/2008
  • Ebay ID:aaronhecht
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:11 AM

View PostPepe8714, on 21 August 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 20 August 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

View Postevenpar72, on 19 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Just a question, do schools give incentives to these guys representing their colleges?  Would be cool to see Viktor rep all Norwegian attire.

No

Yes, but many countries give 'incentives' to their athletes competing in college athletics. Call it a scholarship, stipend, whatever. They are 'assisted' by their home countries, regardless of income level. I have personal experience with this across multiple sports. Typically direct deposit on a monthly basis.

Norway is one of those countries that offers it. Sweden, Germany, Italy, Estonia do as well,
Sounds like anyone doing that should be stripped of amateur status.

8

#39 Pepe8714

Pepe8714

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1202
  • Joined: 05/29/2005
  • Location:CA
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:57 AM

View PostClub Guru, on 21 August 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostPepe8714, on 21 August 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 20 August 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

View Postevenpar72, on 19 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Just a question, do schools give incentives to these guys representing their colleges?  Would be cool to see Viktor rep all Norwegian attire.

No

Yes, but many countries give 'incentives' to their athletes competing in college athletics. Call it a scholarship, stipend, whatever. They are 'assisted' by their home countries, regardless of income level. I have personal experience with this across multiple sports. Typically direct deposit on a monthly basis.

Norway is one of those countries that offers it. Sweden, Germany, Italy, Estonia do as well,
Sounds like anyone doing that should be stripped of amateur status.

Interestingly, it's typically most common amongst (international) athletes who compete in an Olympic sport... I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to why....

9

#40 Maximilian

Maximilian

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
  • Joined: 04/25/2010
  • Location:Stockholm, Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:11 AM

I don't know, this kind of sucks. Norway already beats us in winter sports, do they really need a good golfer as well? A big sigh from Sweden. ;)

Kidding aside, I'm excited to follow his future.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 jonsnow

jonsnow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Joined: 05/24/2016
  • Location:Georgia
  • Handicap:10.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1412

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

View PostClub Guru, on 21 August 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostPepe8714, on 21 August 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 20 August 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

View Postevenpar72, on 19 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Just a question, do schools give incentives to these guys representing their colleges?  Would be cool to see Viktor rep all Norwegian attire.

No

Yes, but many countries give 'incentives' to their athletes competing in college athletics. Call it a scholarship, stipend, whatever. They are 'assisted' by their home countries, regardless of income level. I have personal experience with this across multiple sports. Typically direct deposit on a monthly basis.

Norway is one of those countries that offers it. Sweden, Germany, Italy, Estonia do as well,
Sounds like anyone doing that should be stripped of amateur status.

Sounds like something that should be done in college football in this country.
WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50,54,60
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

11

#42 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5565

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

He just wiped out the field, can't wait to see him playing the Ryder Cup in Italy!

12

#43 norge5

norge5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46769
  • Joined: 01/22/2008
  • Location:Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:34 AM

View PostLefthook, on 18 August 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

What can I say? I am so proud to be a norwegian today. Hovland is in the US amateur final after having played extraordinary golf for several days. This is the greatest norwegian male golf feat ever - and not bad on an international scale either IMO.
I am Norwegian too and finally happy to have a Norwegian to root for.

13

#44 norge5

norge5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46769
  • Joined: 01/22/2008
  • Location:Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:41 AM

View PostMaximilian, on 21 August 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

I don't know, this kind of sucks. Norway already beats us in winter sports, do they really need a good golfer as well? A big sigh from Sweden. ;)

Kidding aside, I'm excited to follow his future.
Hey Sweden has always had tennis to hang their hat on.  As a former tennis player, I had always hoped for the great Norwegian hope to arrive.  That's ok, I loved Borg and Wilander.

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors