Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rangefinder fir hunting anf golf?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pulledabill

Pulledabill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478786
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

Anybody use theirs for dual use? Which model?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

I think they use different logic. Golf laser looks for closest image (flag) and ignores rearward items (trees, etc). A hunting laser is reverse. A deer 30 yards behind some thin brush for example. There may be lasers available that have a mode switch (golf/hunting) but Iím not aware of any.

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6753

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:14 AM

Many (but not all) hunting range finders can be used for golf.   Look for ones that have a switchable targeting mode.  Different companies use different terms for the modes but it comes down to one mode that will ignore small signals and use the stronger return to get distance to a larger animal yet ignore small brush you might have to shoot through - this is the mode that's bad for golf (and tends to be the default for hunting and the mode used for units that can not be switched).  But as I mentioned, many hunting range finders allow you to switch to a mode that gives the nearest return regardless of the strength of the return (intended for smaller game).  That mode should work fine for golf.

I think Bushnell calls them "Brush" Targeting mode for the first (ignores small brush that might be in the way) and "BullsEye" Targeting mode for the second and the one you want to use for golf.

Edited by Stuart G., 19 August 2018 - 04:14 AM.

#4 Precision Pro Golf

Precision Pro Golf

• Sponsors
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414432
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

Great question!

As someone has already stated, the configuration between golf rangefinders and hunting rangefinders are slightly different. Hunting rangefinders are configured with a last-priority configuration. This means that they want to be able to shoot past small branches, leaves, etc., without registering a distance until they hit something much larger. (Like the ground, a tree trunk or an animal.) Golf rangefinders are configured with first-priority configuration. This means that it will read a distance the first time it hits something -- most likely the flag or the flag pole.

If you're looking for a rangefinder that has both last-priority and first-priority technology, our NX7 SHOT might be for you. This is a crossover designed rangefinder for golfers and hunters that can be switched be first-priority and last-priority modes. It also has a scanning mode, which is great for people who want multiple distances in one motion.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Swing with Confidence. Hit More Greens.
$20 OFF with Discount Code GOLFWRX.
www.precisionprogolf.com

Posted Image

#5 Pulledabill

Pulledabill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478786
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

View PostPrecision Pro Golf, on 21 August 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Great question!

As someone has already stated, the configuration between golf rangefinders and hunting rangefinders are slightly different. Hunting rangefinders are configured with a last-priority configuration. This means that they want to be able to shoot past small branches, leaves, etc., without registering a distance until they hit something much larger. (Like the ground, a tree trunk or an animal.) Golf rangefinders are configured with first-priority configuration. This means that it will read a distance the first time it hits something -- most likely the flag or the flag pole.

If you're looking for a rangefinder that has both last-priority and first-priority technology, our NX7 SHOT might be for you. This is a crossover designed rangefinder for golfers and hunters that can be switched be first-priority and last-priority modes. It also has a scanning mode, which is great for people who want multiple distances in one motion.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Thanks...didnt realize you made a camo version.

#6 On N 2

On N 2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451062
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostPulledabill, on 17 August 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:

Anybody use theirs for dual use? Which model?

Yes, I use the Nikon Coolshot 20. It can pick up flags, bunkers, trees, deer, turkeys, and pretty much anything you point it at. Only thing is the non slope version is white, so a cover/case would help when taking it into the woods.

#7 CDLgolf

CDLgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2416
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:48 PM

I tried a hunting range finder on the course and couldnt pick up the flag. Ive never tried my golf range finder in the woods.
Both were Bushnell range finders
Titleist 917 D2
Ping G25 3 wood
Ping G25  20 & 23 hybrid  G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1  6- uw
Ping Tour Gorge  56 & 60
Odyssey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors