Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mizuno Recommendations


111 replies to this topic

#31 mjbfyb

mjbfyb

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28568
  • Joined: 05/04/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Give Discount Danís a call and order a MP-18 MB/SC combo set. They might be able to work something out for you (wink, wink). I would split the set at the 7 or 8 iron.

If you want to spend as little as possible, buy a set of MP-32ís.

Edited by mjbfyb, 16 August 2018 - 12:19 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 SamboRoll

SamboRoll

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503004
  • Joined: 05/28/2018
  • Location:Finland
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

I've played the mp69 blades for 5 years before changing to mp-18sc's this season. Yes, blades do have a great feel when struck well but at the level of my ball striking (hcp 6) they were too unforgiving and harsh for misses to score well and enjoy the game of golf during full rounds. I would definitely recommend to give a go with mp-18sc's as an alternative. The feel of the forged clubhead is nearly as good as in the blades but they are much more forgiving and you are actually able to play them, and produce good scores even if your swing is a bit off. It is a big move from game improvement irons directly to blades. A mixture of mp-18 blades and sc's could work as well, in that case recommend switching to blades at 8 or 9 iron. It is true that blades have better touch around greens in chipping. For irons 3-4 also recommend testing mmc's or fli hi's.
Driver - Rogue Sub Zero 9 degrees HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 75g
3W - Rogue Sub Zero 15 degrees HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 75g
2 Iron - P790UDI 17 degrees HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
3 iron - Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi Modus 105x
4-P - Mizuno MP-18 SC Modus 105x
50 & 56 R grind, 10* bounce  - Mack Daddy Forged DG Wedge
Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Ball - Srixon Z-STAR XV

2

#33 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

View Postmahonie, on 15 August 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostShifty242, on 15 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Postmahonie, on 15 August 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

Lots of good choices out there. I’m a 10 and have played MP4s for the last 3 years (was a 12)...they are a lot more playable than most people think. They really add to the  enjoyment of the game for me.

Thanks for chiming in. What do you like most about the mp4s and what were you playing before? I like your comment about "adding to the enjoyment of the game." That's my main goal as well.

I was playing Nike Split Cavities which I really liked. Only issue I had with them was controlling ball flight...I hit moon balls to start with and the Nikes really used to launch. The MP4s are much easier to control the flight, but the best thing about them is distance control. On slight mishits, they always seem to fly pin high. Most of the trouble at my home course is short or long and you can generally get away with shots that are just offline but the right distance.

The feel is not the “butter” that Mizuno is famed for, to me anyways, but rather a very solid ‘thunk’ that really is addictive. Just typing this is making me want to go and hit one!!

Thanks for the insight, Mahonie. I'm going to a store this weekend where they should have some older Mizuno sets to hit. Hopefully they will have the MP-4s available.

3

#34 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postkess13, on 15 August 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Another vote for the MP54. Great sticks and can be found 3-p in the plastic under $400 from KS9 on the bay. Love mine, brought me back to loving golf and confident with every club.

Thanks for the heads up kess13. I'm watching that auction now...

4

#35 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

View Postbspn, on 15 August 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

For a pure blade I'd look at the MP-67 to MP-69 range as they're a little bit older so way cheaper than the newer models but will still give you a feel for whether you like the Mizuno forged blade feel (spoiler alert: you will).  If you're looking for an intermediate option then MP-53/MP-54 would be a great choice as they have a little more help which you will appreciate in the long irons - I personally don't have the swing speed for my MP-68 4 iron (apart from a stinger off the tee) so I've swapped it out for a 4H.

bspn,

Those sets certainly seem to be readily available and I've got my eye on a couple right now. The plan is to start practicing with the blades and then slowly blend them in with my current set. If all goes well, then I'll make them my gamers. If not, then I'll make adjustments and move on. Appreciate your feedback though!


5

#36 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostSolidstrike, on 16 August 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I was in the similar position.  I picked up a set of MP 57 for $200 on eBay that was in decent shape with the right shafts.  It’s a classic Mizuno cavity that is bigger than a small blade but feel just as good.  I had them bent to the more modern MP 18 lofts.  After one round I kicked my Taylormade speedblades to the curb.  I dropped back a club on distance but realized that doesn’t matter in the slightest.  As a plus, the short irons are much easier to chip with around the green.

This guy posted these heads on the classifieds today.  Don’t know him but it looks like a really good deal.

MP 64 3-P

http://www.golfwrx.c...P-64-3-P-heads

Thanks for referring me to the BST listing, Solidstrike. It's an ideal package as its only the heads. Why did you have the lofts changed on your mp-57s?

6

#37 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostDaveMac, on 16 August 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

IMO you can pretty much safely pick almost any MP iron and you will be fine. The exception might be the models with Titanium forged into them, not because they perform poorly but because they feel a little different.

If you widen the net then the chances of finding a set with the NS Pro 950 S, which has been a Mizuno option for years, will be increased, although the combination is one of the less frequent custom orders. In the more recent models the Modus 105 might be a shaft option you can live with, occasionally Mizuno irons show up with Shimada shafts, the Constant and the slightly heavier Tour Lite are pretty close to the NS Pro 950.

DaveMac, I really appreciate you identifying shafts that are similar to the NS Pro 950. That will be a big help as I consider used options. Thank you!

7

#38 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1153

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

Just played a really nice round on a new local course with my recently acquired mp15s. They go about one club longer that his other forged irons so he paired them with the new mizuno mp T7 wedges. They are the new carbon steel with boron wedges and they go further than his other forged wedges so it is a great distance gap set. Feel great too. But at the end of the day, it comes down to your preferences. Good luck.

Edited by Jack Pearsall, 16 August 2018 - 04:40 PM.

MacGregor PCB Tours...the leopard of irons.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 9*
MacGregor MT 13*
Titleist 909H 17*
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21*
Mizuno Yoro MP-15 4-PW
Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
Titleist SC Teryllium Two Newport Longneck

8

#39 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

View Postkcd38, on 16 August 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

I love the MP 18 SC's. Go and hit the MB, SC, and MMC and see how you would like to blend a set. With no upcharge for shafts and grips, it is IMO the best deal

kcd38, If I thought I could squeeze a purchase like that under the radar at the moment, I would absolutely try to. My wife is very inquisitive and I'm not sure I have enough resources to open up another front in our 15yr trench war love affair. Maybe at the end of the year or just after the holidays. But thank you for the recommendation!

9

#40 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

View Postmjbfyb, on 16 August 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Give Discount Dan's a call and order a MP-18 MB/SC combo set. They might be able to work something out for you (wink, wink). I would split the set at the 7 or 8 iron.

If you want to spend as little as possible, buy a set of MP-32's.

mjbfyb, are you Discount Dan?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostSamboRoll, on 16 August 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

I've played the mp69 blades for 5 years before changing to mp-18sc's this season. Yes, blades do have a great feel when struck well but at the level of my ball striking (hcp 6) they were too unforgiving and harsh for misses to score well and enjoy the game of golf during full rounds. I would definitely recommend to give a go with mp-18sc's as an alternative. The feel of the forged clubhead is nearly as good as in the blades but they are much more forgiving and you are actually able to play them, and produce good scores even if your swing is a bit off. It is a big move from game improvement irons directly to blades. A mixture of mp-18 blades and sc's could work as well, in that case recommend switching to blades at 8 or 9 iron. It is true that blades have better touch around greens in chipping. For irons 3-4 also recommend testing mmc's or fli hi's.

Samboroll, I thank you for your feedback. I definitely will not walk away from GI irons cold turkey. The plan is practice with the blades and then blend them in as I develop a feel and comfort level with them. Yours is one of several recommendations for the mp-18scs. Those are on my list to check out in the future.

11

#42 mjbfyb

mjbfyb

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28568
  • Joined: 05/04/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

View PostShifty242, on 16 August 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postmjbfyb, on 16 August 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Give Discount Dan's a call and order a MP-18 MB/SC combo set. They might be able to work something out for you (wink, wink). I would split the set at the 7 or 8 iron.

If you want to spend as little as possible, buy a set of MP-32's.

mjbfyb, are you Discount Dan?

Nope, I just like to save money. DD’s is in Oregon. I live in Missouri.

12

#43 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

View Postmjbfyb, on 16 August 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostShifty242, on 16 August 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postmjbfyb, on 16 August 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Give Discount Dan's a call and order a MP-18 MB/SC combo set. They might be able to work something out for you (wink, wink). I would split the set at the 7 or 8 iron.

If you want to spend as little as possible, buy a set of MP-32's.

mjbfyb, are you Discount Dan?

Nope, I just like to save money. DD’s is in Oregon. I live in Missouri.

Noted. Message sent.

13

#44 MKYGolfer

MKYGolfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503110
  • Joined: 05/29/2018
  • Location:The Bluegrass State
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

850 Forged have been in my bag for about as long as anything ever has. Found some brand new 900 Tours last week for $500 at my local shop and was really tempted.

14

#45 Badmeat

Badmeat

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129589
  • Joined: 05/26/2011
  • Location:NKY/Cincinnati
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

JPX 900 Tour or Forged? Iím an 11 handicap and went with the Forged when I got fit Tuesday. Itís not like I had much of a choice since the Tours arenít available in lefty. I like the feel of them better than my Ď14 TaylorMade TP CB irons that Iíve gamed for the last 4 years. Iíll likely weaken the lofts by 1* since I donít need the extra distance and they should fly similar to my current yardages.

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° - Aldila Tour Green X-65G
Adams Speedline Super LS 15° 3w - Mitsu Fubuki AX65
Nike VR-S Covert Tour 2.0 19° 3h - Mitsu Kuro Kage X-80g
Mizuno JPX-919F 4-PW - KBS Tour X-130 (on order)
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1

15

#46 MKYGolfer

MKYGolfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503110
  • Joined: 05/29/2018
  • Location:The Bluegrass State
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

I'm around a 5 Handicap and I prefer the 900 Forged over the Tour.  My local shop only had the Tours on sale so my bank account was saved.

16

#47 Solidstrike

Solidstrike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130735
  • Joined: 06/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostShifty242, on 16 August 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostSolidstrike, on 16 August 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I was in the similar position.  I picked up a set of MP 57 for $200 on eBay that was in decent shape with the right shafts.  It‚€™s a classic Mizuno cavity that is bigger than a small blade but feel just as good.  I had them bent to the more modern MP 18 lofts.  After one round I kicked my Taylormade speedblades to the curb.  I dropped back a club on distance but realized that doesn‚€™t matter in the slightest.  As a plus, the short irons are much easier to chip with around the green.

This guy posted these heads on the classifieds today.  Don‚€™t know him but it looks like a really good deal.

MP 64 3-P

http://www.golfwrx.c...P-64-3-P-heads

Thanks for referring me to the BST listing, Solidstrike. It's an ideal package as its only the heads. Why did you have the lofts changed on your mp-57s?

Cool.  I changed the lofts because the standard PW is 47 for those irons and I play a 50 gap wedge.  PW became 46 and the rest of the irons were tweaked down a degree or two for gapping.
Callaway XR Pro 9.5
Titleist 915 F2 15
Titleist 913F 19
Mizuno MP 57
Mizuno T7 50
Mizuno T7 55
Callaway PM 60
Odyssey #1

17

#48 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostSolidstrike, on 17 August 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostShifty242, on 16 August 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostSolidstrike, on 16 August 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I was in the similar position.  I picked up a set of MP 57 for $200 on eBay that was in decent shape with the right shafts.  It’s a classic Mizuno cavity that is bigger than a small blade but feel just as good.  I had them bent to the more modern MP 18 lofts.  After one round I kicked my Taylormade speedblades to the curb.  I dropped back a club on distance but realized that doesn’t matter in the slightest.  As a plus, the short irons are much easier to chip with around the green.

This guy posted these heads on the classifieds today.  Don’t know him but it looks like a really good deal.

MP 64 3-P

http://www.golfwrx.c...P-64-3-P-heads

Thanks for referring me to the BST listing, Solidstrike. It's an ideal package as its only the heads. Why did you have the lofts changed on your mp-57s?

Cool.  I changed the lofts because the standard PW is 47 for those irons and I play a 50 gap wedge.  PW became 46 and the rest of the irons were tweaked down a degree or two for gapping.

I'll keep that in mind as I also play a 50deg gap wedge. Thanks for the insight!

18

#49 KC13

KC13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360243
  • Joined: 01/30/2015
  • Location:31st State
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

In my honest opinion, MP-25 irons are it for me.  I started the game of golf playing Titleist AP1 710's, then Cobra Bio Cells, then Adams XTD Forged, then MP-25's, then Srixon 765's and then back to MP-25's.  Can't say enough about the look and feel of the MP-25's.  Feels like butter, has the forgiveness of a CB and looks amazing at address.  Given the amount of irons i've shuffled through above in the past 6 years, the MP-25's are firmly planted in the bag and I will be looking for backup heads once the grooves wear out.  

I am interested in the MP-18 SC though.... cant go wrong with Mizzy's!  

- KC
Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Ping Tour 65x
Callaway Rogue 16.5 - UST Proforce V2 7F5
Mizuno MP-H5 2i (18) - UST Proforce V2 85F5
Mizuno MP-25 4-pw - KBS Tour Black Nickel S+
Titleist SM7 Raw 50F/54S/58L - Dynamic Gold TI S400
Scotty Cameron California Coronado

19

#50 jimmie

jimmie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178792
  • Joined: 05/03/2012
  • Location:South Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

I switched from mp53s to mp64s a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They are some of the best irons I've ever played. There are quite a few sets on Ebay for reasonable money.

Diablo Octane Tour Aldila RIP X 70
                Diablo Octane Tour 15 Rip Beta X
                X2HP 20
                MP-64 4-PW KBS Tour X 130
                Vokey 50, 54, & 58
                Odyssey White Ice Mini T

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 JY VPI

JY VPI

    Lefty Playing Righty

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475146
  • Joined: 07/15/2017
  • Location:Blacksburg, VA
  • Handicap:2.3
  • Ebay ID:jyvpi
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

I went from MP-14 blades back in the 90s when I was in high school and a good player to switching to Titleist AP2s several years ago when I didn't play enough realized I wasn't that good anymore to strike my old faithfuls. Then after getting back into it, I switched over to a combo set of Mizunos and loved it! MP-64s in 3-6 and MP-4s from 7-PW. *Sent you a PM. This season I've actually switched over to a full blade set in MP-33s, which are older, but a lot easier to hit than my original MP-14s.

Edited by JY VPI, 17 August 2018 - 03:36 PM.

Be well. Do good. Love each other.

21

#52 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

View PostKC13, on 17 August 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

In my honest opinion, MP-25 irons are it for me.  I started the game of golf playing Titleist AP1 710's, then Cobra Bio Cells, then Adams XTD Forged, then MP-25's, then Srixon 765's and then back to MP-25's.  Can't say enough about the look and feel of the MP-25's.  Feels like butter, has the forgiveness of a CB and looks amazing at address.  Given the amount of irons i've shuffled through above in the past 6 years, the MP-25's are firmly planted in the bag and I will be looking for backup heads once the grooves wear out.  

I am interested in the MP-18 SC though.... cant go wrong with Mizzy's!  

- KC

KC, I appreciate your comments and thank you for posting them. Based on your review as well as those of a few others, I'm going to try and hit the mp-25s either this weekend or in the near future. I think I am finally getting the message that you cannot go wrong with a good set of Mizunos.

22

#53 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

View Postjimmie, on 17 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I switched from mp53s to mp64s a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They are some of the best irons I've ever played. There are quite a few sets on Ebay for reasonable money.

Thanks Jimmie. I'm hoping to be a little better of a ball striker at some point so that set may be one for the future.

23

#54 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

View PostJY VPI, on 17 August 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

I went from MP-14 blades back in the 90s when I was in high school and a good player to switching to Titleist AP2s several years ago when I didn't play enough realized I wasn't that good anymore to strike my old faithfuls. Then after getting back into it, I switched over to a combo set of Mizunos and loved it! MP-64s in 3-6 and MP-4s from 7-PW. *Sent you a PM. This season I've actually switched over to a full blade set in MP-33s, which are older, but a lot easier to hit than my original MP-14s.

Thanks for the feedback and the PM JY. Those sets are on my list to try and hit this weekend.

24

#55 Hit em good

Hit em good

    Hit em good

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147143
  • Joined: 11/16/2011
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

For Mizuno blades, 33's, 32's, 4's, 5's, 69's, I would recommend any of these.  You can find them for a reasonable price on Ebay.
Hit em good

Driver (9.5°):  07 Burner TP
3 wood:  Ping G25
5 wood:  Ping G25
3i:  Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2010 model)
4i - 7i:  Mizuno MP 54
8i - pw:  Mizuno MP 4
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0  54° / 58°
Putter:  Ping Redwood Anser
Bag:  Ping Hoofer
Ball:  Titleist Pro v1x

25

#56 jimmie

jimmie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178792
  • Joined: 05/03/2012
  • Location:South Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostShifty242, on 17 August 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View Postjimmie, on 17 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I switched from mp53s to mp64s a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They are some of the best irons I've ever played. There are quite a few sets on Ebay for reasonable money.

Thanks Jimmie. I'm hoping to be a little better of a ball striker at some point so that set may be one for the future.

I've heard good things about the mp54s but haven't personally tried them. Might offer a little more forgiveness vs the 64s. Maybe worth a try. I know the 53s were forgiving while still giving a tactile and audible feedback when you missed one but not punishing you too bad for it. I haven't tried any of the newer jpx lineup but they should be even more forgiving.

As for ball striking, find an individual 6 or 7 iron blade. Take it to the range and practice with it. It will force you to slow down and focus on clean contact. It worked wonders for my iron game.
Diablo Octane Tour Aldila RIP X 70
                Diablo Octane Tour 15 Rip Beta X
                X2HP 20
                MP-64 4-PW KBS Tour X 130
                Vokey 50, 54, & 58
                Odyssey White Ice Mini T

26

#57 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostHit em good, on 17 August 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

For Mizuno blades, 33's, 32's, 4's, 5's, 69's, I would recommend any of these.  You can find them for a reasonable price on Ebay.
Hit em good

Thank you! It is pretty amazing how many mint or little-used sets are floating around on eBay.

27

#58 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

View Postjimmie, on 17 August 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

View PostShifty242, on 17 August 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View Postjimmie, on 17 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

I switched from mp53s to mp64s a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They are some of the best irons I've ever played. There are quite a few sets on Ebay for reasonable money.

Thanks Jimmie. I'm hoping to be a little better of a ball striker at some point so that set may be one for the future.

I've heard good things about the mp54s but haven't personally tried them. Might offer a little more forgiveness vs the 64s. Maybe worth a try. I know the 53s were forgiving while still giving a tactile and audible feedback when you missed one but not punishing you too bad for it. I haven't tried any of the newer jpx lineup but they should be even more forgiving.

As for ball striking, find an individual 6 or 7 iron blade. Take it to the range and practice with it. It will force you to slow down and focus on clean contact. It worked wonders for my iron game.

Jimmie, the 54s seem like they might be the most logical option for me or at the very least, a good place to start. I'd like to hit them first and I might be able to get to a store today or tomorrow that has a used set. But your ball-striking comments are exactly why I'm pursuing this. Thank you!

28

#59 SamboRoll

SamboRoll

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503004
  • Joined: 05/28/2018
  • Location:Finland
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostShifty242, on 16 August 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostSamboRoll, on 16 August 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

I've played the mp69 blades for 5 years before changing to mp-18sc's this season. Yes, blades do have a great feel when struck well but at the level of my ball striking (hcp 6) they were too unforgiving and harsh for misses to score well and enjoy the game of golf during full rounds. I would definitely recommend to give a go with mp-18sc's as an alternative. The feel of the forged clubhead is nearly as good as in the blades but they are much more forgiving and you are actually able to play them, and produce good scores even if your swing is a bit off. It is a big move from game improvement irons directly to blades. A mixture of mp-18 blades and sc's could work as well, in that case recommend switching to blades at 8 or 9 iron. It is true that blades have better touch around greens in chipping. For irons 3-4 also recommend testing mmc's or fli hi's.

Samboroll, I thank you for your feedback. I definitely will not walk away from GI irons cold turkey. The plan is practice with the blades and then blend them in as I develop a feel and comfort level with them. Yours is one of several recommendations for the mp-18scs. Those are on my list to check out in the future.

Now that I read about your interest in blades, I'm thinking of blending MP-18 mb's 9 iron and PW to my set, mostly for their feel in chipping and pitching. That is the only thing I've felt as a slight downgrade in my switch from blades to sc's. 8 iron is a borderline between mb and sc. Probably have to just test the difference at my full swings and see how often I will use that club for low and rolling chips during the round. 4-7 irons will continue to be sc's for long, that is for sure.

Edited by SamboRoll, 18 August 2018 - 12:24 PM.

Driver - Rogue Sub Zero 9 degrees HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 75g
3W - Rogue Sub Zero 15 degrees HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 75g
2 Iron - P790UDI 17 degrees HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
3 iron - Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi Modus 105x
4-P - Mizuno MP-18 SC Modus 105x
50 & 56 R grind, 10* bounce  - Mack Daddy Forged DG Wedge
Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Ball - Srixon Z-STAR XV

29

#60 Railroading13

Railroading13

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356851
  • Joined: 01/06/2015
  • Location:Nebraska
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

I went from TaylorMade Rocketbladez tours to Mizuno MP18 SC. I  recommend going all in for the SC and throwing in a Fli Hi 4 iron to go with the set

Edited by Railroading13, 18 August 2018 - 02:13 PM.

WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5   Fujikura Pro 73 X
Cobra Bio Cell+ 16   Diamana Ahina 80 X
Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 3-5   KBS Tour 130X
Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW  KBS Tour 130X
Mizuno T7 GW 52.9
Mizuno T5 SW 56.14
Callaway PM Grind 60.10
SeeMore SB1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors