Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Yellow Pro V1's!!!


102 replies to this topic

#61 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:35 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

this thread is wild.

Each to their own and all, and i can understand why somebody would use a tru-vis, even the yellow and black/dark green one but i will never get my head around adults using yellow golf balls.

Wow, I am almost 60 yo and have always loved yellow balls, especially as I age. They're easier to see. Some have said, red balls stands out well. I still don't get it. So, to each their own.

I will be curious to know what will be the comparison between Snell Yellow Red and Pro V Yellow - should be interesting.

I'll be torn on that question. I like the Snell yellow Red just as much as the Pro V. And I like the price a lot better. But I might be willing to pay the extra if they offer the 4 for 3 deal where I can personalize and pick my number. The number deal is a big one for me, and so far, Titleist is the only one I've found with that option.

Typically, Pro V's are sold in sleeves at golf course shops, that could be a good way of checking them out at a lower cost.

Edited by Tanner25, 16 August 2018 - 06:36 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6977

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

this thread is wild.

Each to their own and all, and i can understand why somebody would use a tru-vis, even the yellow and black/dark green one but i will never get my head around adults using yellow golf balls.

Wow, I am almost 60 yo and have always loved yellow balls, especially as I age. They're easier to see. Some have said, red balls stands out well. I still don't get it. So, to each their own.

I will be curious to know what will be the comparison between Snell Yellow Red and Pro V Yellow - should be interesting.

I'll be torn on that question. I like the Snell yellow Red just as much as the Pro V. And I like the price a lot better. But I might be willing to pay the extra if they offer the 4 for 3 deal where I can personalize and pick my number. The number deal is a big one for me, and so far, Titleist is the only one I've found with that option.

Typically, Pro V's are sold in sleeves at golf course shops, that could be a good way of checking them out at a lower cost.

That is one disadvantage of the direct to consumer brands. You generally have to splash out for a dozen just to try them.

Unless you have a friend who will gift you a sleeve.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

2

#63 NEhomer

NEhomer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Joined: 04/04/2018
  • Location:Western, MA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

Yellow golf balls are an abomination of the sport.

Posted Image

3

#64 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8434

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

this thread is wild.

Each to their own and all, and i can understand why somebody would use a tru-vis, even the yellow and black/dark green one but i will never get my head around adults using yellow golf balls.

Wow, I am almost 60 yo and have always loved yellow balls, especially as I age. They're easier to see. Some have said, red balls stands out well. I still don't get it. So, to each their own.

I will be curious to know what will be the comparison between Snell Yellow Red and Pro V Yellow - should be interesting.

I'll be torn on that question. I like the Snell yellow Red just as much as the Pro V. And I like the price a lot better. But I might be willing to pay the extra if they offer the 4 for 3 deal where I can personalize and pick my number. The number deal is a big one for me, and so far, Titleist is the only one I've found with that option.

Typically, Pro V's are sold in sleeves at golf course shops, that could be a good way of checking them out at a lower cost.

I may not have worded that quite right. Ive played the ProV enough to be familiar with them. And I like them a lot, it's just at the price point difference I'll choose the Snell. But the game changer (possibly) for me is getting to choose the number on the ball. I haven't decided, but I'll likely pay 10$ a dozen more for the ProV's if I can choose my number.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

4

#65 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8434

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

View PostNEhomer, on 16 August 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

Yellow golf balls are an abomination of the sport.


Wow, feel strongly!?��

I want a match with NEhomer and NorthButte. I'll mark my yellow ball on the green with a poker chip and drive both of them nuts!!

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

5

#66 NEhomer

NEhomer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Joined: 04/04/2018
  • Location:Western, MA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

View PostNEhomer, on 16 August 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

Yellow golf balls are an abomination of the sport.


Wow, feel strongly!?��

I want a match with NEhomer and NorthButte. I'll mark my yellow ball on the green with a poker chip and drive both of them nuts!!

Posted Image

6

#67 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

I like yellow and even red versions of gold balls .  At the end of the day the color doesn’t seem to change my average score so if something is on sale or a deal and in white I am on it.

      I look forward to finding a yellow ProV next season but no way I will pony up $50 when I have a stock pile of other balls taking up room in my closet.

    Glad to see Titleist come into the times however , the AP3 and their insane lifts and now yellow premium balls.

    For those who are anti yellow balls, what’s going to happen when some tour guys tee them up ?
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

7

#68 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6977

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

All I know is this. If Tom Watson, one of the most True Golf-iest people on the planet, can use a Truvis soccer-ball-colored Chrome Soft then obviously a plain yellow ball is no big deal.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

8

#69 jameshay

jameshay

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468134
  • Joined: 05/18/2017
  • Location:Glasgow
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostBreak81, on 16 August 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:



For those who are anti yellow balls, what’s going to happen when some tour guys tee them up ?

i'll laugh at them.

9

#70 BiggErn

BiggErn

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
  • Joined: 08/17/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

this thread is wild.

Each to their own and all, and i can understand why somebody would use a tru-vis, even the yellow and black/dark green one but i will never get my head around adults using yellow golf balls.

Wow, I am almost 60 yo and have always loved yellow balls, especially as I age. They're easier to see. Some have said, red balls stands out well. I still don't get it. So, to each their own.

I will be curious to know what will be the comparison between Snell Yellow Red and Pro V Yellow - should be interesting.

I'll be torn on that question. I like the Snell yellow Red just as much as the Pro V. And I like the price a lot better. But I might be willing to pay the extra if they offer the 4 for 3 deal where I can personalize and pick my number. The number deal is a big one for me, and so far, Titleist is the only one I've found with that option.

Out of curiosity why is the number so important?

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 16 August 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:



For those who are anti yellow balls, what’s going to happen when some tour guys tee them up ?

i'll laugh at them.

After you buy a ticket to watch them hit it or from home on the couch?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 NEhomer

NEhomer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Joined: 04/04/2018
  • Location:Western, MA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Lol!

...just recalled that in a league I was playing in a few years back this dude I was matched against broke out yellow balls and just busting his stones I said "hey, we have a league rule against yellow balls." I was just kidding and I forgot all about it. Then on about the fifth tee I noticed that he had played a white ball all along!

I should have fessed up but hey, if it kept me from having to watch that damn eye-sore for a few more holes, it was the better choice!

11

#72 BiggErn

BiggErn

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
  • Joined: 08/17/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

I use to hate yellow balls mainly because all of them were surlyn. When they start making urethane yellow balls I gave them a try and haven’t looked back. Easier to spot, easier follow in air, easier to distinguish between guys you’re playing with. Unless they all start playing yellow after you do.

12

#73 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8434

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

BiggErn, I can’t get the damn quote straightened out.

But to answer your question, I really can’t give you a good reason why the number matters. I guess I just like having a number that is uncommon.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

13

#74 BiggErn

BiggErn

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
  • Joined: 08/17/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

BiggErn, I can’t get the damn quote straightened out.

But to answer your question, I really can’t give you a good reason why the number matters. I guess I just like having a number that is uncommon.


Probably the most rational answer I could’ve hoped for. I get it though.

14

#75 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 16 August 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 16 August 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postjameshay, on 16 August 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

this thread is wild.

Each to their own and all, and i can understand why somebody would use a tru-vis, even the yellow and black/dark green one but i will never get my head around adults using yellow golf balls.

Wow, I am almost 60 yo and have always loved yellow balls, especially as I age. They're easier to see. Some have said, red balls stands out well. I still don't get it. So, to each their own.

I will be curious to know what will be the comparison between Snell Yellow Red and Pro V Yellow - should be interesting.

I'll be torn on that question. I like the Snell yellow Red just as much as the Pro V. And I like the price a lot better. But I might be willing to pay the extra if they offer the 4 for 3 deal where I can personalize and pick my number. The number deal is a big one for me, and so far, Titleist is the only one I've found with that option.

Typically, Pro V's are sold in sleeves at golf course shops, that could be a good way of checking them out at a lower cost.

That is one disadvantage of the direct to consumer brands. You generally have to splash out for a dozen just to try them.

Unless you have a friend who will gift you a sleeve.

True. But, Cut has trial packs and sleeves.


15

#76 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1790

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

i think titleist is going to sell the piss out of these.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

16

#77 PingEye2

PingEye2

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6898
  • Joined: 10/18/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

Played with someone in a tournament playing a yellow ball. He hit a tree and we couldn't find the ball. Someone spotted it 50 yards away in deep rough/trees. I am convinced we would never have found it if it had not been yellow. That was enough to convince me. If you play competitively and it saves a stroke or two a year it's well worth it! And, the older I get the better the yellow is...I can see it at least 50% further. I bet several mini-tour players will adopt them for the very reason that it could save their a$$.

Edited by PingEye2, 17 August 2018 - 09:23 AM.


17

#78 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1790

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

i like yellow golfballs and play them most of the time. but there times of day and season where they are more difficult to see than white so i have both in my bag.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

18

#79 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 907

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

I wonder if we will ever see a 4 piece Pro V1 (non ProV1x). I recall watching a few ball videos that explained construction and each layer has a job within the ball. Can’t help but wonder....
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5° driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15° fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

19

#80 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2639

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

I once pulled out a yellow Srixon XV while on a beach trip with my family. My dad and I got paired with a father/son, the kid was 16, I was 26. The kid gave me guff on the first tee. Said they don’t let guys on their HS golf team use yellow balls. I birdied the first hole, shot a 1 under 70, and beat him by 15. I tossed him the ball when walking off the 18th green. It made me way happier than it should have.

(I made that up)

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 15 November 2018 - 01:13 PM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
  • Location:DC Metro
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

I remember a couple years ago on the Titleist web site they were asked why no yellow balls. The answer at the time was that the Prov1 was so close to the USGA max weight limit that using yellow paint put it at or over the limit. To be safely under the limit to allow for manufacturing variables would require the ball’s cover, core, or both to be reformulated specifically for yellow. Initially I thought this was bs until I remembered different color grips have different weights also.

21

#82 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Joined: 04/30/2015
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 276

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

I'd hit it :taunt:
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

22

#83 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4290

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

23

#84 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

  I think they realized the AVX didn't address the players using the XV , Z-Star, Chrome Soft or CSX users. They are constantly at risk of market share loss especially with younger golfers.
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

24

#85 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4290

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:52 PM

View PostBreak81, on 15 November 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

  I think they realized the AVX didn't address the players using the XV , Z-Star, Chrome Soft or CSX users. They are constantly at risk of market share loss especially with younger golfers.
Yeah agree, but how big is the yellow ball market? In Australia it would be less than 5% of tour balls from what I see on course. Over here there is a perception that crows prefer yellow balls so nobody uses them. Most juniors I see use white ProVs.
I just think it's a gamble to risk diluting the image of the ProV to try to pick up a small market. But I concede the yellow ball market may be bigger than my estimations.


25

#86 BiggErn

BiggErn

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
  • Joined: 08/17/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:21 AM

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 15 November 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

  I think they realized the AVX didn't address the players using the XV , Z-Star, Chrome Soft or CSX users. They are constantly at risk of market share loss especially with younger golfers.
Yeah agree, but how big is the yellow ball market? In Australia it would be less than 5% of tour balls from what I see on course. Over here there is a perception that crows prefer yellow balls so nobody uses them. Most juniors I see use white ProVs.
I just think it's a gamble to risk diluting the image of the ProV to try to pick up a small market. But I concede the yellow ball market may be bigger than my estimations.

Deleting what image? Not sure I get it. The only risk they run is losing sales to other manufacturers who meet customer demands.

26

#87 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 907

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:42 AM

View PostBiggErn, on 16 November 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 15 November 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

  I think they realized the AVX didn't address the players using the XV , Z-Star, Chrome Soft or CSX users. They are constantly at risk of market share loss especially with younger golfers.
Yeah agree, but how big is the yellow ball market? In Australia it would be less than 5% of tour balls from what I see on course. Over here there is a perception that crows prefer yellow balls so nobody uses them. Most juniors I see use white ProVs.
I just think it's a gamble to risk diluting the image of the ProV to try to pick up a small market. But I concede the yellow ball market may be bigger than my estimations.

Deleting what image? Not sure I get it. The only risk they run is losing sales to other manufacturers who meet customer demands.

I agree with BiggErn. Adding yellow to the Pro V1 line-up was necessary to keep up with the Joneses. Make no mistake, the Pro V1 is THE elite premium ball that everybody is chasing. Making it in yellow doesn’t change this one bit! With so many Tour players, both male and female, using Titleist golf balls it would be hard to believe none of them would game the yellow version.
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5° driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15° fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

27

#88 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:04 AM

View Postnoodle3872, on 16 November 2018 - 01:42 AM, said:

View PostBiggErn, on 16 November 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 15 November 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Not sure this is a good move. Being white only added to the ProV image of being an elite tour ball. They are also trying to break into a market that has well established monopolies in place.
IMO it would have been better to take on the yellow ball market with the Everyman AVX, and leave the ProV as a status symbol in white.
Time will tell.

  I think they realized the AVX didn't address the players using the XV , Z-Star, Chrome Soft or CSX users. They are constantly at risk of market share loss especially with younger golfers.
Yeah agree, but how big is the yellow ball market? In Australia it would be less than 5% of tour balls from what I see on course. Over here there is a perception that crows prefer yellow balls so nobody uses them. Most juniors I see use white ProVs.
I just think it's a gamble to risk diluting the image of the ProV to try to pick up a small market. But I concede the yellow ball market may be bigger than my estimations.

Deleting what image? Not sure I get it. The only risk they run is losing sales to other manufacturers who meet customer demands.

I agree with BiggErn. Adding yellow to the Pro V1 line-up was necessary to keep up with the Joneses. Make no mistake, the Pro V1 is THE elite premium ball that everybody is chasing. Making it in yellow doesn’t change this one bit! With so many Tour players, both male and female, using Titleist golf balls it would be hard to believe none of them would game the yellow version.
I would say it might be a very common ball on the champions tour and the LPGA.  Probably a few on PGA as well.

       Should see around January

   ** either way $48 is not going to get my business when Z-Stars are $39
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

28

#89 PingEye2

PingEye2

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6898
  • Joined: 10/18/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

If you play competitively and don’t have marshalls and fans lining the fairways you’re going to give away the occasional shot by NOT using a yellow ball.  They are just so much easier to find.  My opinion.

Edited by PingEye2, 16 November 2018 - 09:31 AM.


29

#90 RRH

RRH

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136851
  • Joined: 08/18/2011
  • Location:Seattle
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

I’ve been playing a yellow DT Trusoft and honestly it’s a great ball for the winter seasons. I like the soft feel but do miss the bite of a Pro V sometimes so I’m interested to try these. They will be too expensive at first though so I hope they hit sales or lost golf balls starts selling them soon.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors