Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

I like this comment on Jordan Spieth

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Retsdon

Retsdon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 330245
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

I just read this in the Guardian's live blog of the PGA. It struck me as nice writing...

Jordan Spieth has picked up shots at the first two holes: he’s -6 as well. He’ll really be kicking himself for not taking his medicine from the trees at 12 yesterday: an overly adventurous attempt to whistle a hybrid through a small gap between two trunks led to his ball caroming out of bounds, and a triple bogey that put paid to any realistic hope of completing the career slam this year. Thing is, though, this is exactly why he’s so entertaining to watch. His wholesome, all-American, apple-pie image tends to obscure his swashbuckling tendencies: the wild driving, astonishing acts of escapology, short-game genius, birdie blitzes and occasional tendency to come apart in spectacular fashion all register very high on the Seve-o-meter™. Would you have him any other way? Bet you he does something jaw-dropping at the Ryder Cup.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 nicoy3k

nicoy3k

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190910
GolfWRX Likes : 506

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:19 PM

Jordan Speith is the most exciting golfer since Tiger.

#3 denvergolf

denvergolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5424
  • Handicap:0.8
  • Ebay ID:jackson888
GolfWRX Likes : 573

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

Hes the perfect combination of Tiger Woods and Ben Crane
TaylorMade M3, 10.5 (set 8.5), MRC Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TaylorMade M3 3HL (set 15), MRC Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TaylorMade M3 21* Hybrid, MRC Kuro Kage Silver Tini, 90HY-TX
TaylorMade P790 UDI, 17*,Project X Hzrdus Black 85 - 6.5
Titleist 718 AP2, 5-W, KBS C-Taper S+
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52-F, 56-S, DG TIS400
TaylorMade Milled Grind 60 - Low Bounce, DG TIS400
Cameron Tour Rat 1-M
Pro V1X and TM TP5x

#4 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18113

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Excellent discription OP !
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

#5 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 1022

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

He bores me a bit to be honest. Even his interviews feel scripted. Thanks G-d he dropped all the WE or our team talk.

#6 smartstrike

smartstrike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226615
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 August 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

He bores me a bit to be honest. Even his interviews feel scripted. Thanks G-d he dropped all the "WE" or our team talk.

I'm guessing you are talking about his interviews and personality in general when you say he bores you. I don't agree but I can see that. It is hard to imagine his golf game boring you. At this time he is, at the same time, the most exciting and frustrating golfer in the game. He is the least boring golfer I have seen. I call him the young Phil. You never know what you are going to get and it changes faster then a blink.

#7 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3964

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

View PostRetsdon, on 12 August 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

I just read this in the Guardian's live blog of the PGA. It struck me as nice writing...

Jordan Spieth has picked up shots at the first two holes: he’s -6 as well. He’ll really be kicking himself for not taking his medicine from the trees at 12 yesterday: an overly adventurous attempt to whistle a hybrid through a small gap between two trunks led to his ball caroming out of bounds, and a triple bogey that put paid to any realistic hope of completing the career slam this year. Thing is, though, this is exactly why he’s so entertaining to watch. His wholesome, all-American, apple-pie image tends to obscure his swashbuckling tendencies: the wild driving, astonishing acts of escapology, short-game genius, birdie blitzes and occasional tendency to come apart in spectacular fashion all register very high on the Seve-o-meter™. Would you have him any other way? Bet you he does something jaw-dropping at the Ryder Cup.

First I had Tom Watson and Seve.

Then I had Tiger and Phil.

Now I have Jordan, cut from the same cloth as the four above and from the same golfing play style that goes back to Arnie and Walter Hagen.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#8 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostRetsdon, on 12 August 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

I love the summary. Speith is an aggressive risk taking player who simply doesn't wander all around and publicize it ahead of time, like Phil. Eventually that will be common knowledge but right now there's a strange lag between reputation and reality.

I saw it so many times at Doral and also the past two years at the Players. He gets in trouble at Sawgrass because he takes so many low percentage routes on the more difficult holes.

But #14 at Doral is where I saw it play out time and again. I don't know Speith's net on that hole but it had to be miserable, only over a few years playing the event. Once he was in the left rough near the small creek and tried an absurd recovery and ended up with something like 9 or 10. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Then the following year he was in the right rough with a tucked back left pin. I was standing right there when the ball came to rest and the lie was awful. I assumed he would play safe. Then I walked to the green and couldn't believe he not only went for the green but directly at the pin. It sailed and I was almost in a position to catch the shot on the fly. He ended up in the water. Then Speith tried flop shots out of the gnarly bermuda rough behind the green.

He is surprisingly fun to follow on the course. He can be precise over a stretch of holes and then throw in some of the most miserable swings, seemingly out of nowhere and similar to the failings on #12 at Augusta the past few years.

His putting also can vary dramatically from day to day. Sometimes I think he can't miss and other days I'll ignore 8 footers since no way he'll make it.

#9 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
GolfWRX Likes : 2402

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

He definitely has those swashbuckling tendencies. Goes for the hero shot a majority of the time. When he's in full flight, it's fun to watch. Final round at Augusta is one of the best charges I can remember.

#10 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

View Postnicoy3k, on 12 August 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Agreed. He's 3 cups of Tiger and two ounces of Phil with a tablespoon of Greg Norman.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 5291

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:18 AM

View Postyoudamantiger, on 12 August 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

View Postnicoy3k, on 12 August 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Agreed. He's 3 cups of Tiger and two ounces of Phil with a tablespoon of Greg Norman.

Yup hes seve/phil/watson/tiger and a dash of norman. No 18 par rounds for this guy...

#12 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 11765

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

OP, we don't allow positive threads about tour players around here!

#13 Pleasedwith3putts

Pleasedwith3putts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14749
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 August 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Thanks G-d he dropped all the "WE" or our team talk.

Rickie and JT do that too - I think it's nice they acknowledge their caddie plays a role

#14 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2085

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

When he is on, he sure makes a lot of putts.  When he's not, he sure complains a lot.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors