Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stopping the sway

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MSUgolfer601

MSUgolfer601

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161021
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I need some advice/help. Iím a decent player but itís become obvious what  the main culprit of me not getting to the next level with ball striking is. Itís a slight sway as I start the swing into my right side. I would almost say itís kinda if like the yips  with the full swing. I set up and have my swing thoughts and then my weight shifts right as I try and take the club away and I get ďstuckĒ and struggle getting through the shot or on my left.  I have days like last weekend where it didnít show up then yesterday itís back.  Anyone else have these issues?  Anyone have any ways they overcame this?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 679

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostMSUgolfer601, on 12 August 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

I need some advice/help. Iím a decent player but itís become obvious what  the main culprit of me not getting to the next level with ball striking is. Itís a slight sway as I start the swing into my right side. I would almost say itís kinda if like the yips  with the full swing. I set up and have my swing thoughts and then my weight shifts right as I try and take the club away and I get ďstuckĒ and struggle getting through the shot or on my left.  I have days like last weekend where it didnít show up then yesterday itís back.  Anyone else have these issues?  Anyone have any ways they overcame this?

Well Iím not a pro for starters. So take it for what its worth. Have you videotaped yourself? I say that because when you do it will become obvious. You wonít need anyone elseís opinion to know whats wrong, though it never hurts.

What I have noticed personally and from seeing others at the range, a big reason for the swaying is lifting that left(lead) foot and overswing. I would start there. Check the direction of back foot at setup too. If itís too flared it can be difficult to get back around. Itís amazing how comsistent and powerful your swing is if you keep it compact and under control.  

Maybe that can get you started.

#3 modore

modore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201561
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Allfriday had a good post on proper turn in Aha moment thread. I'll copy here.

Here is how I think about it:  The body turn causes the arms to swing.  Your body is swinging your arms and the club, the arms are not independently moving the club.  

Here is a summary of an exercise that I found in a older instruction book (sorry I don't remember which one), that helps the golfer feel the swing motion of the arms and club as a result of the turn.  

1.  Stand up like you are waiting in line at the market.  Arms at your side, relaxed but upright posture.  Now start to walk in place, without your feet coming off the ground.  Notice how the weight goes from ball of foot to heel on each foot.  Notice the way your hips will turn slightly.  Notice how your arms will move as the body moves, even though you are not "swinging" them.  Once you get the feeling of the arms moving without consciously swinging them, move on to two.

2.  Take your golf stance, without a club.  Bring your palms together so the pads of your palms are lightly toughing and so the tips of your fingers lightly touch.  Keep arms relaxed.  Now start walking like above.  Your hands will swing back and forth without any force in your arms. Feel your arms move because your body is moving.  There should be no pushing or pulling in your arms or hands--they are just going along for the ride.

3.  After you get the feel of walking, exaggerate it a bit into more of a full turn, working your way up to a full golf swing motion.  Make sure to keep the arms free of any tension and put no pressure on your finger tips.  Again, even though you are in a full swing move, the arms should just be going along for the ride.

4.  Now take your stance and pick up a club.  Take your grip, but hold the club a lightly as you can.  Start walking and feel the club move back and forth, just as your arms did above. Because of the weight of the club, your arms will be pulled a bit in each direction, farther than when just swinging your arms.  Work up a slow, steady rhythm and feel how the club will pause at the end of your backswing and fore swing, and then start the other directio

#4 MSUgolfer601

MSUgolfer601

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161021
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Yes I have videos several. Lol. And the sway is there or more like s Curtis Strange lean back  before I start the takeaway. I donít pick the leg up or anything like that. The flaring of my right foot may have something to do with not getting all the way to my left side.

Iím about 4 but really feel that this bad move keeps me from getting it down to scratch or plus. Wel... that and putting. Lol

#5 Zitlow

Zitlow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507880
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Are you trying to make a wide back swing by swinging the club and your arms wide to the right along the target line?

#6 Range Pro

Range Pro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429712
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

When you feel stuck on the backswing is  probably because you let your weight shift to the outside of your right foot.  It's impossible to push off the right instep on the downswing.  By keeping your weight to the right instep or on top of the right foot will also minimize the sway.

I see this happen a lot with my playing partners.

#7 tk_golf

tk_golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508544
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

If you believe the sway off the ball is the issue then set something up behind your trail hip to restrict it from happening.
An alignment rod is a good one. So when you practice you have something there that will give you instant feedback on how not to do it.

#8 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:22 AM

Someone put up a phenomenal video the other day. Thread title was something like "why does this drill work for me." Commentary analogized to SnT.
But basically, get into stance, then pull trail leg way back, so you're pegged on front leg. Then take practice swings brushing the turf. Hit a couple balls.
Ingrains the feel of shoulder turn without lower body. Really really good feel. Get into normal stance and go for it.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

#9 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:10 AM

View PostJustsomeguy, on 14 August 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Someone put up a phenomenal video the other day. Thread title was something like "why does this drill work for me." Commentary analogized to SnT.
But basically, get into stance, then pull trail leg way back, so you're pegged on front leg. Then take practice swings brushing the turf. Hit a couple balls.
Ingrains the feel of shoulder turn without lower body. Really really good feel. Get into normal stance and go for it.

It's the Flamingo drill - google it.
All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

#10 Quick Bucket

Quick Bucket

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484204
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

Going full Hunter may give you some ideas.

mahan_december01_400x600_0.jpg

"Every battle is won before it's ever fought."   -Sun Tzu

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 kadey

kadey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 341249