Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shaft recommendations. From ProLaunch 60 to ó>?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27254
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

Iíve been playing the final Nike driver they made, the Vapor with a Tensei CK 50. I have it set at 9.5*. The last time my SS was checked I clocked just over 100mph. Iíve been inconsistent with this driver and recently decided to dust off my old Callaway FT-5. The result was immediate. Better feeling all around, better tempo, better dispersion, hitting the sweet spot more accurately. This driver is at least, what, twelve years old? Older?

Anyway, it has a Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 60 in it and Iíd like to update to a newer driver with the present version of this shaft. Anyone recommend what that might be, and suggest a driver? I also love my Mizuno 5 wood with the Fujikura Motore 6.3 if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

Grafally Prolaunch Blue is a mid 60 gram shaft with a fairly classic Ďhigh launchí profile, it is also very low torque by modern standards @ 2.8 degrees.

The Aldila Rogue Black 65 is a no cost option on several of the current models so might be a good place to start.

The Ping G Max is probably the friendliest driver on the market at the minute.. The Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60 S or the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60 S are probably the closest feel matches to the Prolaunch from Pingís options.

Only thing for it is to test for yourself.

Edited by DaveMac, 12 August 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#3 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 743

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

You may or may not want to match what you have spec for spec, depending on the head. I played the ProLaunch Blue years ago and went from that to Diamana Blue, more mid-launch and slightly more torque, and I ended up liking the Diamana a lot more. Got a little stronger trajectory and picked up distance. Diamana remains a reliable choice for me regardless of the head. Iíve even tried the Diamana White but it feels more stout to me so I stick with the Blue.

Also played the Grafalloy Axis Red in some Callaway heads and thought it was a qualify, underrated shaft. Of the shafts Ping offers, their Tour shaft is by far my favorite all-arounder. I play the stiff in my G400 driver and it works really well for me.

Worth the time to test it all out for yourself.
[size=3]Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches

#4 Fubuman

Fubuman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396626
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

I once had a FT5 / Grafalloy Blue 60x, awesome combo & after getting over itís horrendous sound, bombed it for two years or so.
This driver was the one that cemented my love for high launch, low spin drives & every other combo Iíve had since has been just that with improvements along the way.
Here is what Iíve gamed since:
1. FT9 Tour 9,5 I-Mix / Fubuki Tour 63x
2. FTiz Tour 9,5 I-Mix / Fubuki Tour 63x
3. Razr Fit 8,5 / Fubuki K 70x
4. XR16- Pro 9 / Kiyoshi Gold75x or White Tie 7x3 x
All these do just what hooked me with the OG FT5, fly high, straight & very long.
The Kiyoshi & the 7x3 are not the latest of shafts but they are still available & are absolute bombs in my XR16 Pro. If you could hit them, might be worth a try.
XR16-Pro 9+1 Matrix White Tie 7x3
3w DBD16 14* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75
Hybrid 815 Alpha 20 Fubuki 400h
XR-Pro 4-PW / C-Taper lite
MD Forged 52 TT DG s200
MD Forged 56 TT DG s200
MD PM Grind 60
Odyssey Pro Type Black no.2 / Odyssey Metal X milled Rossie  
Callaway Chrome Soft X

#5 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27254
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. Always been curious about Ping and will give the driver a hard look. What about in the M3 or 4 drivers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors