Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 2 votes

Legit or Counterfeit club on ebay


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fochs13

fochs13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123746
  • Joined: 03/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

There is a price on a new club on ebay that is about $50 less than what you would expect to pay.  The seller has a 99.8% rating with nearly 2000 reviews.  Is there any reason to think the club might be counterfeit?  In fairness it is a model that is two generations old.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 GolfGuitarsCars

GolfGuitarsCars

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401376
  • Joined: 10/31/2015
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:wcmallett
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

How could we possibly know without a photo of the club in question?

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars, 11 August 2018 - 01:43 PM.

PING G30 SF Tec 12* (Set to + 1*)
PING G SF Tec 5W
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0  54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 34" 340g
2016 PING Hoofer

2

#3 fochs13

fochs13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123746
  • Joined: 03/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

It's a stock photo.

3

#4 GolfGuitarsCars

GolfGuitarsCars

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401376
  • Joined: 10/31/2015
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:wcmallett
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Roll the dice then.
PING G30 SF Tec 12* (Set to + 1*)
PING G SF Tec 5W
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0  54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 34" 340g
2016 PING Hoofer

4

#5 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

I don't know how anyone here could possibly know based on the info given...  I would pay close attention to the return policy on it if there is no actual photo and the price is too good to be true.  With that said, I bought a Cobra LTD black still in the wrapper a couple years ago at which I thought was an amazing price for a "new" club.  When I got it I found out that even though it was in the wrapper, it had blemishes around the trailing edges, never mentioned... Didn't bother me too much but new, may not mean "perfect".

Ping G400 9*
Ping G 14.5*
Mizuno MP-H4 3i
Ping S55 4-P
Bridgestone J40 52/56
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale

5

#6 fochs13

fochs13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123746
  • Joined: 03/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:29 PM

View PostNixhex524, on 11 August 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

I don't know how anyone here could possibly know based on the info given...  I would pay close attention to the return policy on it if there is no actual photo and the price is too good to be true.  With that said, I bought a Cobra LTD black still in the wrapper a couple years ago at which I thought was an amazing price for a "new" club.  When I got it I found out that even though it was in the wrapper, it had blemishes around the trailing edges, never mentioned... Didn't bother me too much but new, may not mean "perfect".

I guess my main concern is if there are many counterfeit clubs in general being sold on ebay from sellers with established ratings.  I don't here much about it, but I figured I would check here for what other people have experienced.

6

#7 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2239

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

I don't bid on items that use stock photo's.

7

#8 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

View Postfochs13, on 11 August 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostNixhex524, on 11 August 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

I don't know how anyone here could possibly know based on the info given...  I would pay close attention to the return policy on it if there is no actual photo and the price is too good to be true.  With that said, I bought a Cobra LTD black still in the wrapper a couple years ago at which I thought was an amazing price for a "new" club.  When I got it I found out that even though it was in the wrapper, it had blemishes around the trailing edges, never mentioned... Didn't bother me too much but new, may not mean "perfect".

I guess my main concern is if there are many counterfeit clubs in general being sold on ebay from sellers with established ratings.  I don't here much about it, but I figured I would check here for what other people have experienced.

It could happen, but most of the time, sellers with a lot of feedback and good positive feedback aren't a concern.  Also, what kind of club is it?  That would matter as well as it seems some clubs are easier, or more prone to counterfeiting.  Just check for a return policy and make sure you are protected just in case.
Ping G400 9*
Ping G 14.5*
Mizuno MP-H4 3i
Ping S55 4-P
Bridgestone J40 52/56
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale

8

#9 Titleist_242

Titleist_242

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56796
  • Joined: 05/29/2008
  • Location:Bellevue, WA
GolfWRX Likes : 599

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

View Postfochs13, on 11 August 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

There is a price on a new club on ebay that is about $50 less than what you would expect to pay.  The seller has a 99.8% rating with nearly 2000 reviews.  Is there any reason to think the club might be counterfeit?  In fairness it is a model that is two generations old.

$50 not really a deal for eBay standards.
917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54

TVD V 60

9

#10 ASU Tyler

ASU Tyler

    SFO via PHX

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454748
  • Joined: 02/10/2017
  • Location:Walnut Creek, CA
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

View Postfochs13, on 11 August 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

There is a price on a new club on ebay that is about $50 less than what you would expect to pay.  The seller has a 99.8% rating with nearly 2000 reviews.  Is there any reason to think the club might be counterfeit?  In fairness it is a model that is two generations old.

Based on the description, Is the seller discountgolfcenter? If so, they're fine IMO. Bought from them once before. Just check the review/ratings if it's someone different. Most sellers that have a high volume of transactions will just use stock photos.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 asw7576

asw7576

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371961
  • Joined: 04/19/2015
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:42 PM

Notify the seller to email you with more pictures of the club you want to buy, for examples close up photo of serial number, markings around the shaft.  

If the seller won't bother to respond your email , you either walk away from this purchase or gambling with it.

From my experiences shopping from ebay in the past 4 years, ebay sellers with good ratings ( between 100 pct and 97 pct ) are not scammers.
Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S
Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot
Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S
Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1
Wedges : Mizuno T4
Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs
Shoes : Footjoy DNA

11

#12 dbdors

dbdors

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:Houston, Clear Lake area
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 376

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

View PostGolfGuitarsCars, on 11 August 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

How could we possibly know without a photo of the club in question?
Or a link to the item.

Woods: Ping G30 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Tour S, TEE CBX 4W (16.5) Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80 S
Irons: TM 2017 M2, 5-PW, KBS Tour 105 S
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue Ion, 50.07, 55.13, 60.10, TT Wedge, S200
Putters: SC Cameron & Crown, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft/Srixon Zstar, Titleist AVX all in yellow
Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
Accessories: Garmin G8/Bushnell Tour V4

12

#13 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

    Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
  • Joined: 08/04/2006
  • Location:Pittsburgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4107

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Fake.

Real.

Edited by Hateto3Putt, 13 August 2018 - 08:47 AM.


13

#14 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

    Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
  • Joined: 07/17/2013
  • Location:Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

View Postdbdors, on 13 August 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostGolfGuitarsCars, on 11 August 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

How could we possibly know without a photo of the club in question?
Or a link to the item.

Even if I was telepathic, I wouldn't be solving eBay crimes over the internet lol.
  • Titleist 915D2 10.5* Diamana Blue Board 72 X Flex
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
  • Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
  • Odyssey Dual Force 990

14

#15 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

    #TheWRX

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 8,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:RVA
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6855

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

OP, you should post a link to the item you are referring to. Its really tough to make the real/fake call without more information.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 917 F2 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
PXG 0311T 4-PW - DGTI AMT S400
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
Yes! Jenny Tour
Snell MTB Black

15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors