Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lie Angle Machine Angle Block's purpose?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LEO MODE

LEO MODE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467156
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

I bought a lie angle machine from Golfworks.

https://www.golfwork...nwaAgixEALw_wcB

On that website, one of the users left a review saying using an 1x1x1 angle block on the side helps measuring the lie angle more properly and accurately.
I bought the angle block but really cannot understand where the angle block can be used (please see the pic in yellow). His comment was as per below:

"I used a 1x1x1" metal machinists' angle block (available from Micro-Mark) and attached it to the side of the protractor to make the process less guesswork by providing a known 90* upright angle. This visual aid makes finding the lie angle easier and (IMO) more accurate".

Can any club fitter help me figure out where I can use the angle block to make sure I am getting the lie angle properly?
Also do I always need to make sure the club lies in the center of that red ground that has 0-40 measurement?

So far, I noticed that just using a magnetic leveler and attaching it to the 5th groove on the iron (or the center) helped me better with measuring the lie angle.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0961.jpg

Edited by LEO MODE, 09 August 2018 - 02:29 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379692
  • Ebay ID:Awainer1
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Honestly looks completely useless to me. Really this is not meant to be offensive but I went for the 400 lie gauge and Iím really glad I didnít go any cheaper than that.

#3 LEO MODE

LEO MODE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Iím not offended. How would the $400 one different in measuring it though? Because what I need to do is 1) make sure the magnetic leveler is leveled, then 2) align the lie angle to make sure it sits on the ground and 3) check again to ser if 1) is leveled again.

Would the $400 one eliminate 2)? 2) is the most cumbersome part and a little bit hard since itís a bit clunky.

#4 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

The reason why is because the one I have has the sliding base that has a line that goes from front to back. I use it all the time to look face on at the club from underneath and see where itís touching then i line that up with the mark Iíve made in the center of the grooves. Itís hard on that one u have do that. Iíve found that the ďbusiness cardĒ trick is inconsistent and doesnít give great results. I donít understand what the ďmagnetic levererĒ is?

#5 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

I make a mark at the bottom of the face that is in the center of the grooves. Then use a ruler to line up the line on the baseplate with that line. Then I try to get down even with the base and I can see pretty clearly if the line is touching right in the middle of the touchpoint of the iron. Also I have figured out how to measure woods thatís a whole different ball game. The instructions that come with it are terrible let me know if u have any questions Iíve learned a lot about the gauge through trial and error the last year.

#6 LEO MODE

LEO MODE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostAwainer1, on 09 August 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

The reason why is because the one I have has the sliding base that has a line that goes from front to back. I use it all the time to look face on at the club from underneath and see where it’s touching then i line that up with the mark I’ve made in the center of the grooves. It’s hard on that one u have do that. I’ve found that the “business card” trick is inconsistent and doesn’t give great results. I don’t understand what the “magnetic leverer” is?

It's as per attached. So for me, I would have to first make sure the club is properly on the gauge ground, then put the magnetic leveler to make sure if it's properly leveled, then if not I would adjust the lie angle and move the club up and down to see if it gets properly leveled. What is very cumbersome about this is not adjusting lie angle or putting the leveler, but moving the club up and down to make sure it sits flat on the ground.

Is there any way you can show how you measure static lie on your club using your gauge in a youtube video or something? I can do mine too and show you step-by-step on mine but I think showing yours online would be very much helpful too.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0972.JPG
  • IMG_0973.JPG

Edited by LEO MODE, 10 August 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#7 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

Static loft is easy I just use a golf specific protractor and lay it up the face.    Ill take a pac when I get a chance.  If youíre using that leveler to check lie youíre kinda missing the point of the gauge. The point of the gauge is to check the actual lie angle of the club independent of the grooves.  The grooves do not impart spin on a ball.  However I guess if u donít even have a loft lie machine then at least you are finding some reference point using the gauge and the leveler. Iím really a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff so I take it to the nth degree.

#8 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

You need to use the golfworks protractor that comes with that gauge. It should tell you exactly how to use in the instructions. Measuring loft is the easy part. Lie angle is a whole other beast.

#9 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

I think I figured out your question. Once the club is in the gauge and tou have it set for the lie angle you slide the face angle up to the face til itís square. You can do this using either the straight edge or the actual face angle peice. Then lay the protractor straight up the face til itís touching the middle in terms of top to bottom. Thatís your loft.

Edited by Awainer1, 10 August 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#10 LEO MODE

LEO MODE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

View PostAwainer1, on 10 August 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Static loft is easy I just use a golf specific protractor and lay it up the face. Ill take a pac when I get a chance.  If you're using that leveler to check lie you're kinda missing the point of the gauge. The point of the gauge is to check the actual lie angle of the club independent of the grooves.  The grooves do not impart spin on a ball.  However I guess if u don't even have a loft lie machine then at least you are finding some reference point using the gauge and the leveler. I'm really a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff so I take it to the nth degree.

I'm sorry, I meant to say lie angle and not loft (I edited the post). Yeah static loft is easy once the lie angle is properly set up. I do have the protractor that came with it and just lay down the protractor from the end of the center of the iron down to the gauge ground. I meant to say lie angle measurement is hard.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 LEO MODE

LEO MODE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

So the first pic you're showing me is to ensure the club is locked in properly, by using the face angle ruler that came with the gauge? I have that too but it's usually slightly off (+-1~2 degrees). I thought that measuring gauge requires first and foremost putting down the club head flat to the ground. Which was the reason why I used the leveler to ensure the club is laid flat. But at the same time I was thinking 'do i also need to make sure the head is laid flat AND on the center of the gauge ground (meaning right in the middle of the red colored ground where it has 0 to 40).

Edited by LEO MODE, 10 August 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#12 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Where it sits side to side in the gauge is irrelevant. The club is soled correctly when the club is touching the base at the point on the sole even with the center of the grooves. I always slide the straight edge up against the face so I have a consistent reference point. I donít use the face angle peice although I actually read the manual for your gauge last night and that was what it said to use to orient the club in the right direction. I have never done that and I believe Tom wishon sent me pics doing it the same way I do it.

#13 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Maltby does it the same way I do