Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

So Damn Proud of my Kid


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chipwich

Chipwich

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
  • Joined: 05/03/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

My 10 year old son had a two day tourney this week in Vegas.  Didn't play great but didn't stink either.  Doesn't matter.

On hole 14, he was off the green in the short fringe, grabbed his putter and walked over to get ready.  I'm chatting with the other dad and not really paying attention.  His playing partner is on the other side of the green getting his short shot ready.

My son calls out "Dad, I need help."  I asked what's up.  He told me he barely tapped his ball while setting up but it moved about an inch.  Guaranteed no one saw it but him.  Told him to call his playing partner over and explain what happened so he did.  I ask if he knows what the rule is and he explains correctly he has to move his ball back and take a penalty stroke.  Played it down for a double.  Couldn't be prouder of that double bogey and my kid!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 augustgolf

augustgolf

    Golf with dignity

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
  • Location:Coastal NC
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3666

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

View PostChipwich, on 09 August 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

My 10 year old son had a two day tourney this week in Vegas.  Didn't play great but didn't stink either.  Doesn't matter.

On hole 14, he was off the green in the short fringe, grabbed his putter and walked over to get ready.  I'm chatting with the other dad and not really paying attention.  His playing partner is on the other side of the green getting his short shot ready.

My son calls out "Dad, I need help."  I asked what's up.  He told me he barely tapped his ball while setting up but it moved about an inch.  Guaranteed no one saw it but him.  Told him to call his playing partner over and explain what happened so he did.  I ask if he knows what the rule is and he explains correctly he has to move his ball back and take a penalty stroke.  Played it down for a double.  Couldn't be prouder of that double bogey and my kid!

We need to make that "other golfer" in another thread that posts about how and why he puts scores in for handicap aware of this thread.

Honor and integerity - they never go out of style.
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

2

#3 fredmg

fredmg

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137463
  • Joined: 08/23/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

Props to you and your son.  Great that he asked Dad for help and good on Dad that son knew what the rule was.

3

#4 toophewbirdies

toophewbirdies

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345557
  • Joined: 10/21/2014
  • Location:just off the green
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

Good for you & your son! Well played both of you!

4

#5 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1405

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

Kids are the Bomb! Thank god for them. I too am a very proud Pops. BB

Edited by Big Ben, 09 August 2018 - 12:11 PM.

Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

5

#6 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

During the first round (of the 1925 US Open), Jones was getting set to hit an iron shot out of the rough on the 11th hole when he felt his club move the ball ever so slightly. No one else seemed to have seen this movement, but Jones called a penalty on himself. After officials were unable to confirm that the ball had actually moved, they allowed Jones to make his own ruling on whether or not he should be penalized. Jones said he was certain the ball had moved and penalized himself. The decision cost him the title, but forever added to Jones's legacy. Spectators praised him for his sportsmanship, but he would have none of it. He flatly replied, "You might as well praise me for not robbing a bank."

6

#7 bwbw

bwbw

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470266
  • Joined: 06/05/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

That's a moment that makes you proud.  This spring was the first time my daughter caught her own penalty and called it on herself.  She actually did it twice.  I would rather my child lose with integrity than win with dishonor.  Take your son for ice cream or something (whatever reward fits best)!

7

#8 Chipwich

Chipwich

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
  • Joined: 05/03/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

View Postbwbw, on 09 August 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

That's a moment that makes you proud.  This spring was the first time my daughter caught her own penalty and called it on herself.  She actually did it twice.  I would rather my child lose with integrity than win with dishonor.  Take your son for ice cream or something (whatever reward fits best)!

I wish my kid asked for ice cream.  Sushi is what he asks for when being rewarded.  :swoon:

8

#9 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1405

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostChipwich, on 09 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

View Postbwbw, on 09 August 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

That's a moment that makes you proud.  This spring was the first time my daughter caught her own penalty and called it on herself.  She actually did it twice.  I would rather my child lose with integrity than win with dishonor.  Take your son for ice cream or something (whatever reward fits best)!

I wish my kid asked for ice cream.  Sushi is what he asks for when being rewarded.  :swoon:
Ha! They might be awesome but nowadays nobody would call them cheap!
Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

9

#10 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Postleezer99, on 09 August 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

During the first round (of the 1925 US Open), Jones was getting set to hit an iron shot out of the rough on the 11th hole when he felt his club move the ball ever so slightly. No one else seemed to have seen this movement, but Jones called a penalty on himself. After officials were unable to confirm that the ball had actually moved, they allowed Jones to make his own ruling on whether or not he should be penalized. Jones said he was certain the ball had moved and penalized himself. The decision cost him the title, but forever added to Jones's legacy. Spectators praised him for his sportsmanship, but he would have none of it. He flatly replied, "You might as well praise me for not robbing a bank."

#humblebrag     ????


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 09 August 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 09 August 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

During the first round (of the 1925 US Open), Jones was getting set to hit an iron shot out of the rough on the 11th hole when he felt his club move the ball ever so slightly. No one else seemed to have seen this movement, but Jones called a penalty on himself. After officials were unable to confirm that the ball had actually moved, they allowed Jones to make his own ruling on whether or not he should be penalized. Jones said he was certain the ball had moved and penalized himself. The decision cost him the title, but forever added to Jones's legacy. Spectators praised him for his sportsmanship, but he would have none of it. He flatly replied, "You might as well praise me for not robbing a bank."

#humblebrag     ????
I'm not sure what you mean. I just posted probably the most famous story on calling a penalty on oneself.

11

#12 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:50 AM

View Postleezer99, on 09 August 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 09 August 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 09 August 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

During the first round (of the 1925 US Open), Jones was getting set to hit an iron shot out of the rough on the 11th hole when he felt his club move the ball ever so slightly. No one else seemed to have seen this movement, but Jones called a penalty on himself. After officials were unable to confirm that the ball had actually moved, they allowed Jones to make his own ruling on whether or not he should be penalized. Jones said he was certain the ball had moved and penalized himself. The decision cost him the title, but forever added to Jones's legacy. Spectators praised him for his sportsmanship, but he would have none of it. He flatly replied, "You might as well praise me for not robbing a bank."

#humblebrag     ????
I'm not sure what you mean. I just posted probably the most famous story on calling a penalty on oneself.

I was kidding

Guess I should have inserted an emoji

��

12

#13 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1802

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Good on both of you.  I know adults who don't even call that penalty on themselves.

13

#14 Walter

Walter

    Belgian Golfer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26026
  • Joined: 02/26/2007
  • Location:Belgium
  • Handicap:11.0
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

Very Nice !! I hope you and your Son Will have a long and great father-dad golf relation 🙂
All the best and Cheers ,

14

#15 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3153

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

The OP's story is the spirit of the game.  It's not about styles of play, equipment used, or any of the other rants we see so often.  OP, take him and buy him all the sushi his bottomless stomach can handle.


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors