Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Honesty of Golfers

Sandy Andy lost club

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

Tommy Armour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469404
GolfWRX Likes : 929

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Well, I was a little bummed out on Saturday after discovering that I left my R61 Sandy Andy at the course after a nice morning round with Baloo. So I quickly called the course and let the pro know about it.

He knew exactly what the club was (he is older) and said he would watch for it.

I haven't left a club on the course for years, maybe decades, aside from the occasional heave into the woods or nearby pond for especially offensive ones. To leave a Sandy Andy behind..... How could I?

Well, thanks to the honesty of golfers the story has a happy ending. I called today and someone turned it in shortly after I called about it. I pick it up tomorrow after work. Woo hoo!

Just glad there are honest golfers in the world.

Of course my story is nothing compared to this:
https://golfweek.com...port-the-error/

Edited by Dcohenour, 09 August 2018 - 07:19 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TimV

TimV

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 1992

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

I turned in a sweet Eye 2 SW a few weeks ago.
I was proud of myself.  ;)
Glad you also encountered an honest golfer. It used to be the norm but now, not so much sadly.
Vintage:
60-61 Wilson Staff 2-PW w/t MacGregor Tourney Persimmon Driver & 4 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Signature Brass Putter

67-68 Spalding Top Flite Professional 2-PW & Palmer FTD SW  w/t Ping Eye2 Driver & 4 Wood, Spalding T.P.M. 12 Putter

Classic:
71-72 Wilson Staff Button Backs 2-PW & R61 Sandy Andy SW w/t Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver and 3 Wood, MacGregor Tourney SAT 5 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter

Modern Classic:
'1995' Snake Eyes S&W Forged 3-10 Irons, Mizuno MP 52-07, Titleist 258-08 Vokey, w/t Snake Eyes 600T 11 degree Driver, Snake Eyes Viper MS 18 & 21 degree Fairways, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter

Modern:
2016 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Forged 4-GW Irons, Wilson Harmonized 55 degree SW & 60 degree Lob, w/t TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0: 10.5 degree Driver, 18 degree 4 Wood, 21 degree Hybrid. Tour Edge CNC Milled Feel III Putter

For S&G:
lil' David Slingers 2-PW w/t Tracks USA 10 degree Driver, 15 degree 3 Wood, and Brass Rammer 3000 USA Putter
*Ridiculous offset on all of these. You have to see it to believe it!  

Founding Father of the Jolly Roger Golf Association Member #1 and only...
(You can join but you have to get the tattoo)

Spank the Persimmon or Walk the Plank!

#3 Chris122

Chris122

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409580
GolfWRX Likes : 813

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:18 PM

Some years ago I leaned my Cleveland low-bounce sand wedge against the fence on the 12th tee and forgot to put it back into my bag only realising what I'd done when I had to play a bunker shot on the 13th.
We were being followed by a pair of scruffy individuals and I crossed over and asked if they had seen my wedge,I got mumbled denials and a refusal to make eye contact and I said to my pal that I would bet one of them had it in his bag.
I reported the loss to the then professional and asked him to keep an eye out for it.
Couple of weeks or so later I was mooching round the shop and had a look in his 2nd hand club bin.
Amazing!
There in the bin was a Cleveland 900 low bounce 56 sand wedge just like the one I'd misplaced and at a bargain price!
It did find it's way back into my bag,at no cost.

#4 TimV

TimV

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 1992

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

I would have looked in their bags myself to make sure they hadn't 'accidentally picked it up.'
Glad to hear it was found though
Vintage:
60-61 Wilson Staff 2-PW w/t MacGregor Tourney Persimmon Driver & 4 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Signature Brass Putter

67-68 Spalding Top Flite Professional 2-PW & Palmer FTD SW  w/t Ping Eye2 Driver & 4 Wood, Spalding T.P.M. 12 Putter

Classic:
71-72 Wilson Staff Button Backs 2-PW & R61 Sandy Andy SW w/t Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver and 3 Wood, MacGregor Tourney SAT 5 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter

Modern Classic:
'1995' Snake Eyes S&W Forged 3-10 Irons, Mizuno MP 52-07, Titleist 258-08 Vokey, w/t Snake Eyes 600T 11 degree Driver, Snake Eyes Viper MS 18 & 21 degree Fairways, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter

Modern:
2016 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Forged 4-GW Irons, Wilson Harmonized 55 degree SW & 60 degree Lob, w/t TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0: 10.5 degree Driver, 18 degree 4 Wood, 21 degree Hybrid. Tour Edge CNC Milled Feel III Putter

For S&G:
lil' David Slingers 2-PW w/t Tracks USA 10 degree Driver, 15 degree 3 Wood, and Brass Rammer 3000 USA Putter
*Ridiculous offset on all of these. You have to see it to believe it!  

Founding Father of the Jolly Roger Golf Association Member #1 and only...
(You can join but you have to get the tattoo)

Spank the Persimmon or Walk the Plank!

#5 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192016
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

View PostChris122, on 12 August 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

Some years ago I leaned my Cleveland low-bounce sand wedge against the fence on the 12th tee and forgot to put it back into my bag only realising what I'd done when I had to play a bunker shot on the 13th.
We were being followed by a pair of scruffy individuals and I crossed over and asked if they had seen my wedge,I got mumbled denials and a refusal to make eye contact and I said to my pal that I would bet one of them had it in his bag.

This was the fate of my 1957 Hogan Precision 9 iron several years ago. Unfortunately, I never got it back. But, enter Teevons to save the day.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

#6 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4417

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:12 AM

I found myself recently, on the other end of the stick, fortunately for me, a couple of weeks ago.
I had picked up a semi-modern set of Japanese Bridgestones at a Play-it-Again about six months ago.  Note: Easiest to hit irons I have ever had in my hands.
Modern lofts, so I was needing something to “fill the gap” between the PW and my 56.  As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction.  I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.
I left it at an out of town tournament I played in.  Didn’t realize it for a couple of days.  Called the course and it had been turned in.  Now, that could be because the finder wasn’t familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

#7 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

Tommy Armour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469404
GolfWRX Likes : 929

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:23 AM

In a somewhat ironic twist, two weeks later when Baloo and I went back to the same course, I found a very nice modern Ping 8 iron on 12 next to the green. My first thought was, "Oh, here is a pitch and run guy...". So I stuck it in my bag intending to turn it in. Perhaps this was a test...

Two holes later we saw the group in front of us and were close enough for me to inquire about the lost club. One of the group was very grateful that I found it since he was using a borrowed set of clubs. As I returned to our fairway, I heard the man tell his group, "We don't have to tell Rich about this, right...?"

#8 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 15596

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'd like to think that most golfers are honest enough not to keep a found club, but rather turn it in at the clubhouse.  It happened quite regularly at the nine hole course I used to work at.  If I happened to be lucky enough to have an idea who a found club might belong to they were always so grateful to have them returned.  A little good karma never hurt anybody!

Still, it is surprising at the number of clubs that never get claimed by the end of the year.  Some get recycled into rental sets if there's a need for a specific club.  Others may get picked over by staff with the balance getting sent to Goodwill.  I know that the clubhouse manager takes a couple of boxes of lost and found along with a couple of bundles of clubs out for donation every year.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM R7 425 11.5°
Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°
TM White Smoke Big Fontana

#9 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
GolfWRX Likes : 2486

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

View Postoldschoolrocker, on 31 August 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

I found myself recently, on the other end of the stick, fortunately for me, a couple of weeks ago.
I had picked up a semi-modern set of Japanese Bridgestones at a Play-it-Again about six months ago.  Note: Easiest to hit irons I have ever had in my hands.
Modern lofts, so I was needing something to "fill the gap" between the PW and my 56.  As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction.  I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.
I left it at an out of town tournament I played in.  Didn't realize it for a couple of days.  Called the course and it had been turned in.  Now, that could be because the finder wasn't familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

Maybe the irony of a missing gap wedge was too much to bear for the finder.

#10 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192016
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

Modern lofts, so I was needing something to "fill the gap" between the PW and my 56.  As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction.  I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.
I left it at an out of town tournament I played in.  Didn't realize it for a couple of days.  Called the course and it had been turned in.  Now, that could be because the finder wasn't familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

You wouldn't know it by watching the news on TV (or anything else on television or the big screen) but there is still WAY more good folks than bad.

Turn off the boob tube, put a smile on your face and get out and mingle with your fellow humans.

Edited by HoldenCornfield, 31 August 2018 - 10:34 AM.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 28400

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 31 August 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

View PostChris122, on 12 August 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

This was the fate of my 1957 Hogan Precision 9 iron several years ago. Unfortunately, I never got it back. But, enter Teevons to save the day.
Tim saved my day too (what a guy) I found a set of Hogan Grinds in the bins one day. The 8 iron was missing but Tim had one matching shaft and all he sent it to me. Later on I found a set of 54 Precisions in the bins missing the 8 iron (it is a conspiracy). Super Dan just happened to have one that matched and he sent it to me. So many great members on here
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW TM V-Steel 5 wood 18* Pro Launch Blue
FW TM V-Steel 7 wood 21* Stock TM R
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- Little David 8802 or 97 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as hell
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge Stiff DJ Special
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#12 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 31 August 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

I'd like to think that most golfers are honest enough not to keep a found club, but rather turn it in at the clubhouse.  It happened quite regularly at the nine hole course I used to work at.  If I happened to be lucky enough to have an idea who a found club might belong to they were always so grateful to have them returned.  A little good karma never hurt anybody!

Still, it is surprising at the number of clubs that never get claimed by the end of the year.  Some get recycled into rental sets if there's a need for a specific club.  Others may get picked over by staff with the balance getting sent to Goodwill.  I know that the clubhouse manager takes a couple of boxes of lost and found along with a couple of bundles of clubs out for donation every year.
We get that a lot around here in this tourist area. Most folks lose a club and when they get home and sober up have no idea what course they left it at. Most courses here if they have address label on them will contact the customer and UPS it back free of charge. A lot of unclaimed clubs get donated to the First Tee here. Some of them get scrapped especially older non conforming ones and if they are Cleveland 588s  Vokeys or Wilson JPs guess who pounces when they hit the yard?
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Vintage

#13 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 31 August 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

You wouldn't know it by watching the news on TV (or anything else on television or the big screen) but there is still WAY more good folks than bad.

Turn off the boob tube, put a smile on your face and get out and mingle with your fellow humans.
I do not watch the news or regular TV other than the Golf Channel or Jimmy Swaggert----- For good folks I come on here in this section or over In  the Clubhouse Grill section of the 19th hole---- I also go over on MGS some same name same avatar
Vintage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors