Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How much does having a caddy at USKG tournaments affect scores?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jigsaw1011

jigsaw1011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487132
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

I caddy for my son (11).  Basically, I am his "mule".  Push the cart, clean the clubs, make sure he drinks enough water etc.  He plays the course himself, makes club choices and reads the greens.  

We both have become increasingly frustrated with the over caddying, putting clinics, and "teaching" present in any given round.

How much do you think this type of caddying affects the player's scores?  Most times he places over these kids but I just wish it was kids playing against kids not my kid playing against another kid's dad.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1920

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

It's hard to say, but most caddies at the US Kids level are a detriment to their player.

If you really want to see how much a caddy helps, or doesn't help, try to find a league or association that doesn't allow caddies.  For socal, its scpga tournaments.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postjigsaw1011, on 07 August 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

I caddy for my son (11).  Basically, I am his "mule".  Push the cart, clean the clubs, make sure he drinks enough water etc.  He plays the course himself, makes club choices and reads the greens.  

We both have become increasingly frustrated with the over caddying, putting clinics, and "teaching" present in any given round.

How much do you think this type of caddying affects the player's scores?  Most times he places over these kids but I just wish it was kids playing against kids not my kid playing against another kid's dad.

It depends how good the dad is. In some cases it makes them worse in some cases it helps.  Don't worry about it the faster you wean them off the caddy wagon the better.  My daughter never broker 80 until she learned to caddy herself.  It also makes a much more pleasant round for me as well.  We now only play tournaments where caddies are not allowed. Don't worry about the other dads and just enjoy the round and afterwards you both can laugh at crazy dads who over caddy. Junior golf with Caddies is social golf.

Edited by tiger1873, 07 August 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#4 jigsaw1011

jigsaw1011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487132
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

We tried our section's PGA Junior tour this year.  They have a no caddy policy.  He has played 9 tournaments and placed first 5 times and 2nd 4 times.

Right now trying to decide if we should continue with USKG in the fall.  There are really not many other events happening for his age after summer.

Edited by jigsaw1011, 07 August 2018 - 03:45 PM.

#5 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

View Postjigsaw1011, on 07 August 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

We tried our section's PGA Junior tour this year.  They have a no caddy policy.  He has played 9 tournaments and placed first 5 times and 2nd 4 times.

Sounds like your son is well established and knows how to do things on his own.

There are other kids that rely heavily on their caddie to line them up, tell them how far to bring the club back, mark their ball. etc.. etc...  These kids will be at a steep learning curve once their caddy is gone.

#6 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 633

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

I'll admit to over-coaching my kid in the beginning during the 6&U tours. Having said that, the sooner you can ween yourself from caddying (not weening your kid from you the caddy) the better they will be in the long run.  Now that we have finished our 7YO summer tour, I would still call myself a "coach" (I've dropped the "over" part).  I'm not much of a coach on the full swings other than a couple reminder swing thoughts for him such as "keep your balance" (which has been a small issue lately). However, I still help too much on putting.

I let him know yesterday that all putting will be on his own going forward. I'm not making any promises, but we'll see how I do. :-)

#7 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

View Postkekoa, on 07 August 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

There are other kids that rely heavily on their caddie to line them up, tell them how far to bring the club back, mark their ball. etc.. etc...  These kids will be at a steep learning curve once their caddy is gone.

We have a "lay the club down for alignment" daddy caddy on tour (no, not me!!). Every single shot except greens because I believe that is illegal although I hear it was an issue early on.  It's so much fun. In addition, he does this thing where he is in front of the player when he putts holding a finger out to how far back he should swing. It's cringe worthy.

#8 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1036

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Where we are there's a kid that's really good and his dad is a teaching pro that also played on a D1 NCAA Championship team.  He grew up playing every course near us and caddies for his son in most events.  I can't say for sure but it has to be an advantage to the kid to have a dad that knows how every putt breaks, has a Trackman you can use any time and access to play for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by leezer99, 07 August 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#9 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

View Postleezer99, on 07 August 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

Where we are there's a kid that's really good and his dad is a teaching pro that also played on a D1 NCAA Championship team.  He grew up playing every course near us and caddies for his son in most events.  I can't say for sure but it has to be an advantage to the kid to have a dad that knows how every putt breaks, has a Trackman you can use any time and access to play for pennies on the dollar.

Big advantage since the kid is already really good. Trackman etc. is worthless if the kid hits it all over the place.

#10 Chipwich

Chipwich

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

I'm very much in the same boat.  My kid is 10.  I'm basically a caddie in the same sense as you, wash balls and clubs, maybe help read a putt here and there and basically keep him calm and teach rules and etiquette as we go.  I'm as hands off as I can be.

We play with a daddy/son team where it's borderline ridiculous.  Dad literally tees up the ball for him.  Then lines him up over and over until it's perfect.  Then the practice swings start.  At least three, each one being critiqued.  Short game is even worse.  Dad will tell him how far to pull back the putter and make adjustments based on the endless practice swings.  The tour director is not able to stop them because, incredibly, it's not against the USKG rules.  Hit a bad shot, it's the kids fault and he lets him know.  Hit a great shot and "We did it."  Dad is setting up his son not just to hate golf, but hate him as well.  The "F golf and F you too, Dad!" is coming.  

Anyways, we don't play US Kids anymore.  Found a local alternate tour and have been very happy there.  Minimal caddying allowed and NONE on the putting surface.  Once they turn 11, no caddying at all.  Can't wait.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Chipwich

Chipwich

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28545
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 07 August 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

We have a "lay the club down for alignment" daddy caddy on tour (no, not me!!). Every single shot except greens because I believe that is illegal although I hear it was an issue early on.  It's so much fun. In addition, he does this thing where he is in front of the player when he putts holding a finger out to how far back he should swing. It's cringe worthy.

I think setting a club down for alignment is against the rules even on USKG.  I could be wrong.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2326

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

View Postkekoa, on 07 August 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

It's hard to say, but most caddies at the US Kids level are a detriment to their player.

If you really want to see how much a caddy helps, or doesn't help, try to find a league or association that doesn't allow caddies.  For socal, its scpga tournaments.

We agree on something?

#13 bbfan11

bbfan11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55008
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostChipwich, on 07 August 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

I think setting a club down for alignment is against the rules even on USKG.  I could be wrong.
If the club used for alignment is removed before the stroke is made there is no penalty. If not removed it's 2 under 8-2a.

#14 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

View PostChipwich, on 07 August 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Club for alignment is legal in USGA as long as it is picked up before the shot. Except for on the green.  Similar to your scenario, that kid is going to hate golf. The kid already rolls his eyes during the setups.

8-2. Indicating Line of Play

a. Other Than on Putting Green

Except on the putting green, a player may have the line of play indicated to him by anyone, but no one may be positioned by the player for that purpose on or close to the line or an extension of the line beyond the hole while the stroke is being made. Any mark placed by the player or with his knowledge, for the purpose of indicating the line of play, must be removed before the stroke is made.

Exception: Flagstick attended or held up - see Rule 17-1.
b. On the Putting Green

When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere for the purpose of indicating a line of putt.

#15 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 395

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

I occasionally lay a club down to help me with alignment and throw it to the side prior to hitting.  Before I do it, I always say to the people I am playing with "Before you say anything, I've already checked and this is legal."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors