Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Road Trip!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 665

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

If you're taking your junior golfer on vacation that includes some golf (not a tournament) what's your destination of choice?  Any great junior friendly trip destinations you've experienced?

For us, we visited grandma and grandpa in Arizona about a year ago and hit up the ASU Karsten Course. The course was really fun and the staff were really nice to the munchkin even giving him a really nice bag tag of Sparky.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

I havenít found anywhere that hasnít been great to golf at with my kids. The best trips are summer when we head north for cooler weather.  Never had a problem with the kids playing but we usually call ahead and play at times there not as busy. We also try and play better courses if we can. No sense in playing a goat track somewhere.

I been toying with the idea of a trip to Ireland next year. Couldnít think of a better destination to golf other then perhaps Scotland. As much as I want to bring the younger one to US kids worlds. I think it may actually be cheaper or at least the same price form to fly the family to Ireland and play there.

Edited by tiger1873, 05 August 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#3 cubuffs

cubuffs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2942
  • Ebay ID:phillbre
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

All of our vacations at this point have golf involved, and as mentioned above, we have never had a problem anywhere we have played.  My oldest son is 13 and is very experienced (plays in tournaments, fast player so pace is never a problem, and a very likable and socially interactive kid who will talk with whoever we get paired with).  Being that he has really started to focus on golf it has become a big driver of where we vacation.

Some of our favorites to date:

Kapalua on Maui:  Have done this for Spring Break twice and they have a kids play free on either course after 2pm.  We have been lucky enough to show up early and they have let us off if the tee sheet is open.  Bay course is ok, but the Plantation is by far his favorite (no surprise there).  Staff has always been incredible - will make a bag tag for him and just really friendly and encouraging.

Arizona - Scottsdale: We changed it up this year on Spring Break and loved the shorter flight and all of the options.  We would use standby golf and some of the other next day services to play courses that had deals during that time of year.  We managed to get pretty lucky and get great rates at both courses at Troon and and We Ko Pa Saguro.

Colorado:  I grew up there and my parents still live in the metro area.  A great set of public courses with lots of variety, and we usually make a trip to Breckenridge which gives access to 4 courses in Summit County.    

I constantly remind my Son how lucky he is to be able to have played the courses he has - both as part of tournaments here in TN, and when we travel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors