Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mesh pattern lattice golf ball for hickory!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dpark

dpark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

Started playing hickory golf and was introduced to it by the guys in the NW Hickory Players organization.

When playing with them recently at the Eastmoreland 100th anniversary, I noticed some of them were playing with a golf ball that had a lattice mesh pattern on them.

One of the guys, John Henry, was kind enough to send me a half box to play with.

They are so cool looking! Can't wait to take them out on the course!

Posted Image

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
Adams A2P 18* hybrid
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
Titleist SM6 wedges 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MartinM326

MartinM326

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504918
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Ice3203
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

How do they feel compared to a modern ball?

#3 ebeer

ebeer

Swing Hickory!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286500
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

So glad you got some of the Ouimet balls. Iíve reaaly come to embrace the mesh pattern and it truly completes the hickory experience. People are always amazed when they see you playing with hickories, but not so much when you pull out a Pro V1. Mesh steps up the wow factor.

Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc

George Nicoll 2 Iron

Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick

Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)

NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)

#4 HumbleGolfer

HumbleGolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459888
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:scotpeterse0
GolfWRX Likes : 422

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

As ebeer said - wow factor.

Attached Thumbnails

• F9D0CB56-B929-476B-9320-CA94585E6DF7.jpeg

#5 sbboudreau

sbboudreau

FORE RIGHT!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326957
  • Handicap:25
  • Ebay ID:sbboudreau61
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

I think the Hickory Golf Society or something like that, has these made for them. I remember seeing them on their site.

(8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
Go To Set
07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway

#6 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

View Postsbboudreau, on 05 August 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

I think the Hickory Golf Society or something like that, has these made for them. I remember seeing them on their site.

This ball is made by McIntyre Golf. There are some events that require a reproduction ball to be used and they are allowed at virtually every event, but are not required for play at an SoHG supported event.  

View Postebeer, on 05 August 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

So glad you got some of the Ouimet balls. I've reaaly come to embrace the mesh pattern and it truly completes the hickory experience. People are always amazed when they see you playing with hickories, but not so much when you pull out a Pro V1. Mesh steps up the wow factor.
In what way do you believe the mesh ball completes the experience. Is it just the completion of the hickory aestetic or do you feel that the performance of the ball is better suited for hickory? Personally I do feel that the look of the vintage ball help add to the aestetic as much as wearing a pair of plus 4's does, but I'm not convenced that the performance of the ball accuratly represents a true historical reproduction of performance.

#7 ebeer

ebeer

Swing Hickory!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286500
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

View Posthollabachgt, on 06 August 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

In what way do you believe the mesh ball completes the experience. Is it just the completion of the hickory aestetic or do you feel that the performance of the ball is better suited for hickory? Personally I do feel that the look of the vintage ball help add to the aestetic as much as wearing a pair of plus 4's does, but I'm not convenced that the performance of the ball accuratly represents a true historical reproduction of performance.
Disclaimer:  No soap box speeches here, I think it's fine to use any ball you choose, and recommend playing the ball that provides the most pleasure and best playing experience.  For me, that's a period appropriate mesh pattern (there are round dimpled options from the late 20's too - see McIntye Golf).
Admittedly, it took some time and reflection for me to warm up to the mesh ball.  It will probably never be possible to fully replicate the exact ball of the 1920's, as our materials for core and cover are different (though not drastically) in current times.  That said, a lower compression, two-piece, surlyn covered ball is probably the best we can do.  Two aspects of the mesh ball are compelling to me.  The first is pure aesthetics, the ball looks old and it matches the date range for my hickories.  The second is a cover design with the exact pattern that was used during the era.  I fully recognize that spin, launch angle, and height are a product of many variables that include core material and compression in addition to dimple pattern.  However, dimple pattern is the only variable in the equation that I can put on level with hickory era play, so I choose to do so.  As I mentioned, everyone should play with the ball they feel best about, and if that's a ProV1 swing it and have a blast.  I have just found through personal experimentation that my hickory experience is more rewarding to me with mesh ball.

Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc

George Nicoll 2 Iron

Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick

Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)

NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)

#8 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1848

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

dpark-

If you ever go to the headquarters of the USGA in Far Hills, NJ-

They have a practice area which includes a green, and some hickory shafted golf clubs, and some early style golf balls to try-

The Ouimet lattice mesh golf ball was among them.

#9 majic

majic

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 1282

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Rex the putters at USGA I made for them. Cool. Ebeer is right. There is very little difference in distance in using a Ouimet mesh or Callaway. Itís what you yourself enjoy playing. After all we play the game for our oersonal pleasure.

Edited by majic, 06 August 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#10 ebeck66

ebeck66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70802
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

There is an older thread in this section (don't know how to link it to this reply), "Hickory Golf Balls - What are you playing" that is on about page 6 or 7 of this thread.

I currently use the Callaway super soft.  When I started playing hickory about a year ago, I bought the mesh balls. The look cool and I like the concept of playing with a period ball, but my experience with them is that they are a 1/2 to 1 club shorter with the irons and are about 20 yards shorter on the driver.  This is un-scientific based on going out at night and hitting multiple shots, but I expect that much of the distance difference is due to the dimple pattern.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Nbavaro33

Nbavaro33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483584
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:Nbav3363