Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Goodwill find: Hogan Apex II


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FlaBoy239

FlaBoy239

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202167
  • Joined: 09/09/2012
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
  • Ebay ID:theu239
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

Found these at Goodwill the other day. Surprised how good of shape they're in. I've yet to hit them.
1533085113141.jpg 1533085132386.jpg 1533085151856.jpg


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 russad

russad

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218411
  • Joined: 12/30/2012
  • Location:Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

Nice find, I hope you enjoy playing them.

2

#3 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 7044

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

Great irons. Great condition!
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

3

#4 pymmdcp

pymmdcp

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312829
  • Joined: 05/03/2014
  • Ebay ID:hoganhunters
GolfWRX Likes : 380

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

Suuuweeeeeet Mercy!!!!

4

#5 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 2000

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

FlaBoy-

Nice Apex IIs!

Do they have Apex shafts, and if so, what is the shaft flex?


5

#6 lke90

lke90

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501284
  • Joined: 05/08/2018
  • Location:italy
  • Handicap:6,7
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:04 AM

you will love them, bought them one month ago!
I've read somewere these are referred as the best iron ever made
and I have to say they really are!
Follow me on instagram: instagram.com/race_to_pga/

6

#7 FlaBoy239

FlaBoy239

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202167
  • Joined: 09/09/2012
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
  • Ebay ID:theu239
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:06 AM

View Postrex235, on 31 July 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

FlaBoy-

Nice Apex IIs!

Do they have Apex shafts, and if so, what is the shaft flex?
Yes sir. 4 flex

7

#8 FlaBoy239

FlaBoy239

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202167
  • Joined: 09/09/2012
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
  • Ebay ID:theu239
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

I honestly doubt I'll use them. Probably end up listing them and let someone who truly appreciates them enjoy them.

8

#9 hnryclay

hnryclay

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85817
  • Joined: 06/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:54 AM

You should give them a shot, I play a set from time to time great clubs.

9

#10 FlaBoy239

FlaBoy239

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202167
  • Joined: 09/09/2012
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
  • Ebay ID:theu239
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

Are they butterknives or do they have a little forgiveness to them?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 hnryclay

hnryclay

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85817
  • Joined: 06/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

They have a muscle back, the Hogan Grinds are almost the same iron with the muscle ground off.

11

#12 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

    Kirasdad

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184566
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:South Pasadena, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1191

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:32 AM

There is little forgiveness to any Hogan blade(Radials excepted) If you center it though, pretty sweet!

I have “sold” several sets on the BST for 1 dollar (plus shipping, of course) just so they would go to a wxrer that I knew would appreciate them.
Current bag:
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 43.75”
Callaway Steelhead III 4 wood
Sonatec 20 deg. hybrid
Daiwa Advisor DG 8402 4-9
SCOR PW 48 degrees
SCOR SW
Dunlop putter

12

#13 dcopp7

dcopp7

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428384
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Bay City, MI
  • Ebay ID:dcopp7
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

View PostKirasdad, on 01 August 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

There is little forgiveness to any Hogan blade(Radials excepted) If you center it though, pretty sweet!

I have “sold” several sets on the BST for 1 dollar (plus shipping, of course) just so they would go to a wxrer that I knew would appreciate them.
PM me before listing next time...
Callaway Hyper X 9*  what's the point?

Taylormade (original) RBZ 15* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

Orlimar 23* 7W

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter

13

#14 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
  • Joined: 08/04/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2565

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostFlaBoy239, on 01 August 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Are they butterknives or do they have a little forgiveness to them?

If you were going to express "forgiveness" as a number, I suppose you'd use MoI.
Ralph Maltby has measured and reported this for all sorts of clubs, from pure musclebacks to SGI. Unfortunately, he hasn't posted a number for those exact clubs, but most blades are much of a muchness. And in the units he reports, most blades are between 11 and 12. But then, shallow cavity "players irons" are typically between 11 and 13, and moderate to deep cavitybacks are mostly in the 12 - 15 range.
So, whilst blades are at the low end of the range of all clubs, the numbers suggest that forgiveness isn't an all or nothing proposition, or even massively different when quantified.
I'd play them.
Actually, I do!

14

#15 sbboudreau

sbboudreau

    FORE RIGHT!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326957
  • Joined: 07/15/2014
  • Location:South Carolina(born & raised in Connecticut)
  • Handicap:25
  • Ebay ID:sbboudreau61
GolfWRX Likes : 520

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

Beautiful set! I’d be playing these, at the very least a half dozen times before listing them just to see if they should be sold or held onto for a vintage set. NICE FIND!

(8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
Go To Set
07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway

15

#16 jpdx

jpdx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
  • Joined: 06/26/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

absolutely gorgeous! nice find. I found a set in terrible condition online locally - all pitted and rusted. I passed. I would love a set of these in the condition you found!!
Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike
Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike
Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
Nike
Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
Nike
Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
Nike Method Origin b2-01
Cure CX-2
Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt

16

#17 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 4514

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:10 AM

View PostFlaBoy239, on 01 August 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

I honestly doubt I'll use them. Probably end up listing them and let someone who truly appreciates them enjoy them.
Man, you gotta take’em out for a spin...

17

#18 FlaBoy239

FlaBoy239

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202167
  • Joined: 09/09/2012
  • Location:Fort Myers, FL
  • Ebay ID:theu239
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

View Postoldschoolrocker, on 03 August 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

View PostFlaBoy239, on 01 August 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

I honestly doubt I'll use them. Probably end up listing them and let someone who truly appreciates them enjoy them.
Man, you gotta take’em out for a spin...
Maybe on the range.

18

#19 smorg

smorg

    Tundra Transplant

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243305
  • Joined: 04/06/2013
  • Location:Wisconsin
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:morgan141414
GolfWRX Likes : 328

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:29 PM

View PostFlaBoy239, on 03 August 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

View Postoldschoolrocker, on 03 August 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

View PostFlaBoy239, on 01 August 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

I honestly doubt I'll use them. Probably end up listing them and let someone who truly appreciates them enjoy them.
Man, you gotta take’em out for a spin...
Maybe on the range.
Be careful swatting range rocks.
Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

19

#20 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 5210

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:37 AM

Nice sticks.. big Hogan fan.

Casual observation.  It Might be just the camera angle but they look like they’ve been bent extremely flat.

If you go to the range and hit them and they really want to go right on you, you’ll know why.

9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-10 (at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473518
  • Joined: 06/30/2017
  • Location:DFW
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:longhornswin
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

Picked up a set out Craigslist a year ago, regripped, and finally hit them this week. So sweet! Distance was as good or better than my AP2s!

21

#22 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29399

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:52 AM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 04 August 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Nice sticks.. big Hogan fan.

Casual observation.  It Might be just the camera angle but they look like they’ve been bent extremely flat.

If you go to the range and hit them and they really want to go right on you, you’ll know why.
Most Hogan irons because of what I call the funky low slung hosel look flat to me but that may be me. The only ones that do not and this may be me again are the Precisions and the Grinds which I have a set of each.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

22

#23 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2392

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:55 AM

View PostBIG STU, on 25 August 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 04 August 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Nice sticks.. big Hogan fan.

Casual observation.  It Might be just the camera angle but they look like they’ve been bent extremely flat.

If you go to the range and hit them and they really want to go right on you, you’ll know why.
Most Hogan irons because of what I call the funky low slung hosel look flat to me but that may be me. The only ones that do not and this may be me again are the Precisions and the Grinds which I have a set of each.
Yup, the funky low slung hosel is a thing. These look like they may be just fine at address. Nice sticks!

23

#24 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29399

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:26 AM

View Postjslane57, on 25 August 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 25 August 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 04 August 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Nice sticks.. big Hogan fan.

Casual observation.  It Might be just the camera angle but they look like they’ve been bent extremely flat.

If you go to the range and hit them and they really want to go right on you, you’ll know why.
Most Hogan irons because of what I call the funky low slung hosel look flat to me but that may be me. The only ones that do not and this may be me again are the Precisions and the Grinds which I have a set of each.
Yup, the funky low slung hosel is a thing. These look like they may be just fine at address. Nice sticks!
Yeah I had a partial set of those and my running partner Bear found a partial set so I gave the ones I had to him to complete the set. Two weeks later him being the club ho he is found a full set in pristine shape. The only drawback is the ones he found were #5 Apex shafts. At our age we have about as much business trying to hit a #5 Apex as a firebug working in a match factory. The two partial sets have I think #4 and #5 shafts also. In fact I carry a Cameo Equalizer with my 54 Precisions when I play them. That is one hell of a wedge but then again I always liked Hogan Equalizers for some reason
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors