Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slazenger Ben Hogan Precision irons.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyTodd

JohnnyTodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508778
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hi folks,
Been an avid reader of all things Hogan in Classic Golf for a while...thereís such a great depth of knowledge on here, so thought Iíd cast around for your (kind) thoughts and advice.

For £20 ($25) Iíve picked up what looks to be a well-used set of 1950ís Precison irons here in the UK. Initial thoughts are to have the heads cleaned up and refurbed, then reshafted, regripped...then play!

Have read a few posts suggesting picking up an unloved, cheap set of something with Apex 4 shafts in and reuse with the Precisionís, which sounds fine. Would need to think carefully about the swingweight issue, but assume this isnít insurmountable?

What to do with the heads though? Rechrome back to new, black oxide, satin bead blasted or Cerakote in something a bit bright?!

Will post some pics, hopefully tomorrow.
Many thanks for your interest.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1842

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Todd-

It would be beneficial to see your '50s Ben Hogan Precision iron set-

As Ben Hogan offered the first Precision irons with his name on them in 1954, these irons have mechanical fasteners (pinned) to the shafts.

It would also help to view your 1970s  set of Ben Hogan Apex irons with Apex 4 shafts, which are likely pinned as well.

#3 LYG

LYG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9056
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

The hotels are really long...maybe an extra inch and a half...moves the sweet spot closer to the hosel.

Great find.
TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
TM M2 3 wood, Fujikura Pro 53
PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
Now often adding the 50 degree Y, make the 53 then 54 (four total wedges)
Cameron 009

#4 baloo

baloo

A Person

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140341
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:k2baloo
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

I would try playing the original shafts unless they're damaged. Pictures would be nice. Reshafting will be quite the chore
Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf

#5 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4188

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

Iím in the camp of play them ďas isĒ for a bit before making any decision, then, tinker, adjust, fiddle and doodle with until your hearts content.

Edited by oldschoolrocker, 01 August 2018 - 04:18 AM.

#6 84425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68610
  • Ebay ID:jurren
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

i think the slazenger hogan precisions are stainless steel (at least the set i have is), so were not chromed originally, so re-chroming would require chroming them, dechroming and then rechroming :-). bead blasting or tumbling would probably be a good choice imho.

Edited by 84425, 01 August 2018 - 06:05 AM.

#7 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
GolfWRX Likes : 2371

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

I agree with 84425 - mine are stainless. I would think you could polish them up very nicely without too much bother.

If mine are anything to go by, they'll be fitted with TT Rocket shafts. Tattered green shaft bands would tend to confirm. The original leather grips are excellent - but tricky to transfer over if you reshaft.

Traditional, but short by today's standards, lengths - probably a 38" 3 iron.

Good clubs. First time out with mine I sunk a full 3 iron. I can't say that of many other sets of irons.

Like others are saying, I'd play them as they are to get started. If you feel you have to reshaft, then don't let the pins put you off. In my experience, that vintage of Slazenger irons are bored VERY tightly and you may well need to ream the hosel and/or file the shaft tips to get replacement shafts seated.

#8 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411612
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

View PostJohnnyTodd, on 31 July 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Hi folks,
Been an avid reader of all things Hogan in Classic Golf for a while...there's such a great depth of knowledge on here, so thought I'd cast around for your (kind) thoughts and advice.

For £20 ($25) I've picked up what looks to be a well-used set of 1950's Precison irons here in the UK. Initial thoughts are to have the heads cleaned up and refurbed, then reshafted, regripped...then play!

Have read a few posts suggesting picking up an unloved, cheap set of something with Apex 4 shafts in and reuse with the Precision's, which sounds fine. Would need to think carefully about the swingweight issue, but assume this isn't insurmountable?

What to do with the heads though? Rechrome back to new, black oxide, satin bead blasted or Cerakote in something a bit bright?!

Will post some pics, hopefully tomorrow.
Many thanks for your interest.
If the shafts are in good shape, absolutely do not reshaft.  The TT Rocket shafts on those clubs are very good shafts.  I was in the same boat when I got my first set of Precisions and glad I left them alone until I got a few rounds with them under my belt.  They are outstanding irons.  You will find them to be quite a bit heavier than anything else you have ever played, but I am already guessing you will love it.  I don't think I ever really felt my swing "load" until I had swung a really heavy club like the Precisions.  Enjoy them before making any hasty decisions.  Also cannot believe you got them for $25.00... deal of the century.  Please upload pictures.

Edited by northplatteriver, 02 August 2018 - 10:04 AM.

WITB
Hogan 1957 Precision Irons 2-9, Equalizer and Exploder
Hogan 1978 Commemorative Woods 1, 3, 4, 5
1950's MacGregor "Ben Hogan" Parmaker putter

Additional Sets
Hogan 1955 Precision Woods, Persimmon, 1,2,3,4
Hogan 1959 Speed Slot 300, Persimmon, 1,2,3,4
Hogan 1957 Precision Irons 2-9, Equalizer and Exploder
Hogan 1959 Sunburst Sabers 2-9, Equalizer, Utility Wedge
Hogan 1959 Sunburst Sabers 2-9, Equalizer, Utility Wedge
Hogan 1960 Power Thrust 1-9, Equalizer, Utility Wedge, Sand Iron 'Forty Five' , Sand Iron 'Forty Two'
Hogan 1960 Power Thrust 2-9, Equalizer, Utility Wedge, Sand Iron 'Forty Five'

#9 JohnnyTodd

JohnnyTodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Attached File  IMG_0146.JPG   53.54K   5 downloadsAttached File  IMG_E0145.JPG   90.04K   7 downloads

Attached Files

#10 JohnnyTodd

JohnnyTodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Lots of great advice and experience in there to reflect on.

See photo's above...apologies for the jaunty angles (...might take a few attempts to master the upload technique!).

Irons are fabulous. Well used, but that's what they were made for...be a shame if they weren't played. The Slazenger leather grips are all intact, shafts are True Temper Rockets as some of you have said. Ferrules all match with the same '203' stamp on them. Some other previous posts on WRX for similar clubs seem to suggest 1956 or 57? There's no 'Made in England' stamp on these hosels in the same way that I've seen on other photo's on the net. Also, unless I'm missing something...there are no pins visible through the hosels...so are they likely to just be kept in position using resin?? The heads are well worn but have no significant chips or craters in them...and other than the paint around the lettering missing or worn, they're in great shape.

I'm not going to touch these beauties...I think it would be an act of vandalism to take out the shafts, given the fact that they've survived this long. The Rockets aren't overly whippy, so hopefully might be closer to the Apex 4 than envisaged.

But whether I can hit the things properly and do them justice is another question entirely....!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostJohnnyTodd, on 02 August 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Lots of great advice and experience in there to reflect on.

See photo's above...apologies for the jaunty angles (...might take a few attempts to master the upload technique!).

Irons are fabulous. Well used, but that's what they were made for...be a shame if they weren't played. The Slazenger leather grips are all intact, shafts are True Temper Rockets as some of you have said. Ferrules all match with the same '203' stamp on them. Some other previous posts on WRX for similar clubs seem to suggest 1956 or 57? There's no 'Made in England' stamp on these hosels in the same way that I've seen on other photo's on the net. Also, unless I'm missing something...there are no pins visible through the hosels...so are they likely to just be kept in position using resin?? The heads are well worn but have no significant chips or craters in them...and other than the paint around the lettering missing or worn, they're in great shape.

I'm not going to touch these beauties...I think it would be an act of vandalism to take out the shafts, given the fact that they've survived this long. The Rockets aren't overly whippy, so hopefully might be closer to the Apex 4 than envisaged.

But whether I can hit the things properly and do them justice is another question entirely....!!

Johnny Todd,

That's a beautiful set, I would not do anything to it except maybe clean it up a little bit, to remove the dirt and rust to prevent moisture.  I won't even paint fill the head, and please don't, it'll be like putting heavy make up on a matriarch.   Won't help to look new and lost the dignity.

Leather grip looked well enough to be restored.
Are you going to game these ?

Keep me in mind if you ever going to part with it.

Oh , just noticed that you're from the other side of the pond, the shipping will be much more than what you paid for this set, plus we might impose tariff on the use golf set now.

Edited by wkuo3, 03 August 2018 - 07:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors