Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Reading Launch Monitor - Drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AngusBurger

AngusBurger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508056
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hello,

I am looking for some help evaluating results from a launch monitor session. The images below were taken during an outdoor lesson. I think it was a flightscope.

Two clubs, two different quality of strikes. Not sure if this can even be answered.

My questions are:

What is most important when looking at this data? How do you compare different clubs?

In my example are both results close or is one performing significantly better? Or If the human variables were closer would one have an advantage?

First driver was a G400 Max. I think the spin was 3000 ish. I was hitting some low on the face. However, I am unsure to what degree that can affect spin. I know it increases it.

Second image shows the results of a Callaway Rogue. The spin was 22XX but That was a perfect shot for me.

Wife took the photos so we might be missing some data. Best coach ever :)

Had fun on the monitor I just wanted to know more about what I was looking at.

IMG_1532997904.314317.jpg

IMG_1532997918.307566.jpg

Thank you

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 WarEagleGolf

WarEagleGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400664
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

First you aren't a wrx'er because it's not 195+MPH ball speed.  

Past that.  Distance is carry distance, roll is roll, total is total distance.  Club head speed is club head speed, ball speed is ball speed off the face. Easy right?  To me, one of the most important (beyond right left and consistency of distance) is smash.  Smash factor is the quotient of ball speed by club head speed. In essence, it's the efficiency of your swing.  The closer to 1.5 it is, the more efficient.  So, that's how the 98mph swing was shorter in distance than the 96mph swing. Probably something to do with hitting it low on the face or something. Clearly much more technical answers out there but I'm a big believer in smash.  I look for 1.4 and above on longer irons, and 1.5 on driver.

Edited by WarEagleGolf, 30 July 2018 - 07:55 PM.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
Callaway XR16 Pro Fujikura XLR8 61 16*
PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
PING Vault Anser2

#3 cfmgolf

cfmgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74758
  • Handicap:5-9
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Overall your strike on the rouge was much better than the ping based upon ball speed vs swing speed (same info that 2nd poster is talking about). Based upon THESE swings you were more efficient with the rouge. Overall much better results.
Callaway Rouge SZ 9* w/ Evenflow Blue S
Callaway Epic 4/5W
Cobra Fly Z 3/4H w/ Aldila Tour Green 85S
Ping G700 4-U w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 52*
Cleveland RTX 3.0 56*
Odyssey O Works

#4 AngusBurger

AngusBurger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508056
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

I don’t have two with closer numbers to compare. I thought there might be a way to subtract or add from the smash to estimate the ball speed or carry.

Appreciate the help. I will keep practicing. Hitting the center helps.

#5 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

View PostAngusBurger, on 30 July 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

I don’t have two with closer numbers to compare. I thought there might be a way to subtract or add from the smash to estimate the ball speed or carry.

Appreciate the help. I will keep practicing. Hitting the center helps.

You can divide ball speed by smash to get to your swing speed, but you have all three of those numbers anyway.

Carry is mainly a calculated function of ball speed, launch angle, and spin.  Although you're missing those two key metrics the smash in the latter is much better, indicating a much better strike.  Because those 3 numbers relate (smash indicates the efficiency you got out of the strike) you can see in the latter screen shot that you got more carry distance even though you had a 1.5 MPH slower swing speed because your strike was better.

Strike was better with the second club because either:
> A) Your slower swing speed indicates you were swinging more in control on that shot (i.e. you were better, but the club)
> B) The second club (due to shaft, clubhead, or both) just suit you better, therefore you were able to put a better strike on the ball

If this was the only data I had available to me and I was making a choice between these two exact configurations, I'd be taking the second one.  Better strike, better efficiency, better result.

Edited by PorscheFan, 31 July 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#6 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
GolfWRX Likes : 2255

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

You somewhat already answered your own question begore you ever asked it. Ball speed and club head speed.  Thatís your efficiency and sign that the contact was in the right area, maybe not perfect, but in the right area. Once you start straying away from center, ball speed goes down, your efficiency goes down, and you are more likely to have all the other numbers skewed by bulge/roll of the face, gear effect of the head, etc.

Most important area to work in first is contact location, those numbers help to verify that, then you start working on the other ones to tune.
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
Odyssey MXM 1W

#7 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 3033

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

View PostAngusBurger, on 30 July 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Hello,

I am looking for some help evaluating results from a launch monitor session. The images below were taken during an outdoor lesson. I think it was a flightscope.

Two clubs, two different quality of strikes. Not sure if this can even be answered.

My questions are:

What is most important when looking at this data? How do you compare different clubs?

In my example are both results close or is one performing significantly better? Or If the human variables were closer would one have an advantage?

First driver was a G400 Max. I think the spin was 3000 ish. I was hitting some low on the face. However, I am unsure to what degree that can affect spin. I know it increases it.

Second image shows the results of a Callaway Rogue. The spin was 22XX but That was a perfect shot for me.

Wife took the photos so we might be missing some data. Best coach ever :)

Had fun on the monitor I just wanted to know more about what I was looking at.

Attachment IMG_1532997904.314317.jpg
Attachment IMG_1532997918.307566.jpg

Thank you

You got some good replies already, but to me this clubs seems to be standard, and thats based on the huge difference in PTR value (smash factor)

If both clubs had the right play lenght and total wgt, only shaft model was different, the difference in PTR value would have been way smaller.

Next...dispersion.
About 20 yards right of targetline is NOT a fairway hit on the courses i play, so my conclution is, you had a lucky strike in terms of smash factor on one of them, but non of them is a good fit for you, they was most likely tested at standard playlenght who is way to long for most players.

Go and see a real club fitter, trial and error with standard play lenght want help you to find a club that works as it should in your hands

Edited by Howard Jones, 31 July 2018 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors