Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin Approach CT10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PingPoncho

PingPoncho

PingPoncho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13867
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

What do you think of this?

https://buy.garmin.c...-US/US/p/605172

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PingPoncho

PingPoncho

PingPoncho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13867
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

New product

#3 gibbiesmalls

gibbiesmalls

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30091
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

Looks like Garmin's attempt at shot tracking (e.g. Arccos or Game Golf).  Interesting...

#4 nupezb

nupezb

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469796
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

I think they are over priced at $299 and will have to see how their dashboard works vs the competition.

The plus side is I’m glad the gps data is collected thru their compatible watches because I already own a S20.
King F8 Volition Driver Blue Camo
Cleveland 588 Fairway 3 wood

Nike CPR Fairway 18°
Nike CPR Fairway 26°
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 4-GW
Titleist Vokey 52°

Titleist Vokey 55°
Titleist Vokey 60°
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball
Snell MTB

MG Tour C4

#5 SoMoneyMuchWin

SoMoneyMuchWin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389628
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

I'll think about buying the 3 pack to track putting and short game shots to go along with my s20 if they get decent reviews, although $80 is a bit much.

#6 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Definitely overpriced. I have an Approach S60, and it gives me a bunch of this stuff already.

#7 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 1836

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

I ordered a full set, will give them a try once they come in.  I like they work with the S20 and S60 versus the cell phone because i hate carrying a cell phone in my pocket when i play golf.  ShotScope 2 is okay but the watch and software is clumsy
Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - Callaway Epic 5-SW Away - TM P790 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#8 nupezb

nupezb

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469796
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 24 July 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

I ordered a full set, will give them a try once they come in.  I like they work with the S20 and S60 versus the cell phone because i hate carrying a cell phone in my pocket when i play golf.  ShotScope 2 is okay but the watch and software is clumsy

Concur on the look of the ShotScope 2 watch.

Since I have a Cobra driver with Arccos built in I do like the ability to still be able to mix and match shot tracking with the CT 10 and auto detection on the watch (for my driver).

King F8 Volition Driver Blue Camo
Cleveland 588 Fairway 3 wood

Nike CPR Fairway 18°
Nike CPR Fairway 26°
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 4-GW
Titleist Vokey 52°

Titleist Vokey 55°
Titleist Vokey 60°
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball
Snell MTB

MG Tour C4

#9 Kitter

Kitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502468
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

I have the full set.
The initial conclusion is: Do not buy this product, but wait for 2nd generation.

I have the Garmin Approach S60 watch, so these tags seemed a good option.

Unpacking was easy. The manual simple.
Step 1 is to screw the tags into the grips which was easy except for the putter. I have a Superstroke counterweight putter grip, so there is no hole for the screw. Same problem as for GameGolf, but at least the bottom of the GG tags is flat, so it is possible remove the screw and glue that tag to the flat top of the grip. This is however not an option for Garmin as the tags are hollow on the bottom - probably to save weight, but in this context it necessitated the use of sports tape to attach the tag to the putter. Not exactly an elegant solution and not conforming as per the golfrules. But I had to get things started. More mounting problems later on.
Step 2 is to register each club/tag to the watch. One has to ensure through Garmin Connect that the list of clubs is transferred to the watch.
The driver was not a problem. When getting to the 4-wood, this option was not available. Same thing with the 7-wood - not an option. Checked all the way through and could see that 9-wood and 7 hybrid (my wife plays both of these) are not options either. Only three real wedges (GW, SW and LW) are options - if you carry a fourth wedge (e.g.64 degrees) this is not an option. And there is no "custom club" option either.
So basically I registered my 4 wood as a 3 wood and my 7 wood as a 1 hybrid just to get things started. My fourth edge remained at home.
Wrote to Garmin Support last week, and have so far received the reply that the request "has been sent to our golf department".

Played a nine hole round, and it seems as if the shots are registered pretty well. Not 100 % for the putter, but acceptable. And the distances struck matched measurements with my range finder

And now what really frustrates me.
Getting to the range today, I twice experienced that the tags simply fell off. I ensured that they were fully screwed into the grip, but they would still fall out. Checking all the clubs I unfortunately identified that I was missing the 8i tag. It was not at the bottom of the bag, so it must simply have dropped off during the 9 hole round when striking the ball.
The grips are completely new Golf Pride CP2 Pro grips (great grips by the way!), so it is not a question of worn out old grips. This has not been reported to Garmin yet, but will be this evening.

So at this point I cannot register 3 clubs properly, I have a putter with some "elegant" non-conforming sports tape at the top, and I am missing a tag, which makes the entire concept useless.

So I will be looking for some naive guy who will purhase an incomplete second hand set of Garmin CT10 tags....

Thus my recommendation: wait for the 2nd generation of this product or look to some of the alternatives.

Edited by Kitter, 13 August 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#10 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 1836

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostKitter, on 13 August 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

I have the full set.
The initial conclusion is: Do not buy this product, but wait for 2nd generation.

I have the Garmin Approach S60 watch, so these tags seemed a good option.

Unpacking was easy. The manual simple.
Step 1 is to screw the tags into the grips which was easy except for the putter. I have a Superstroke counterweight putter grip, so there is no hole for the screw. Same problem as for GameGolf, but at least the bottom of the GG tags is flat, so it is possible remove the screw and glue that tag to the flat top of the grip. This is however not an option for Garmin as the tags are hollow on the bottom - probably to save weight, but in this context it necessitated the use of sports tape to attach the tag to the putter. Not exactly an elegant solution and not conforming as per the golfrules. But I had to get things started. More mounting problems later on.
Step 2 is to register each club/tag to the watch. One has to ensure through Garmin Connect that the list of clubs is transferred to the watch.
The driver was not a problem. When getting to the 4-wood, this option was not available. Same thing with the 7-wood - not an option. Checked all the way through and could see that 9-wood and 7 hybrid (my wife plays both of these) are not options either. Only three real wedges (GW, SW and LW) are options - if you carry a fourth wedge (e.g.64 degrees) this is not an option. And there is no "custom club" option either.
So basically I registered my 4 wood as a 3 wood and my 7 wood as a 1 hybrid just to get things started. My fourth edge remained at home.
Wrote to Garmin Support last week, and have so far received the reply that the request "has been sent to our golf department".

Played a nine hole round, and it seems as if the shots are registered pretty well. Not 100 % for the putter, but acceptable. And the distances struck matched measurements with my range finder

And now what really frustrates me.
Getting to the range today, I twice experienced that the tags simply fell off. I ensured that they were fully screwed into the grip, but they would still fall out. Checking all the clubs I unfortunately identified that I was missing the 8i tag. It was not at the bottom of the bag, so it must simply have dropped off during the 9 hole round when striking the ball.
The grips are completely new Golf Pride CP2 Pro grips (great grips by the way!), so it is not a question of worn out old grips. This has not been reported to Garmin yet, but will be this evening.

So at this point I cannot register 3 clubs properly, I have a putter with some "elegant" non-conforming sports tape at the top, and I am missing a tag, which makes the entire concept useless.

So I will be looking for some naive guy who will purhase an incomplete second hand set of Garmin CT10 tags....

Thus my recommendation: wait for the 2nd generation of this product or look to some of the alternatives.
Most of the products like the CT10 have issues with staying attached to the grips.  A lot of people place a little glue or adhesive to the tag so it remains attached.

Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - Callaway Epic 5-SW Away - TM P790 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Kitter

Kitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502468
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:07 AM

Thank you fot the advice for which I have the following comments

1)
if it is necessary to glue the tag, Garmin is providing a deficient product!
2)
if it is necessary to glue the tag, Garmin should provide instructions for mounting as well as the materials (glue) for the purpose
3)
I have used GameGolf tags for two years, not glued, never lost one, so I actualy expected a manufacturer like Garmin to have a product of similar quality, but that is not the case
4)
after having lost the first Garmin tag, I actually used glue (special glue for plastic/rubber) both on the screw and the top of the grip. The Garmin tag is however hollow at the bottom, so rather than a plane surface there is a cavity that needs to be filled with glue. Therefore it is not possible to obtain a firm and direct contact between the tag and the grip end due to this design flaw!
Gluing did not help, - tags keep falling off!

I send e-mails to Garmin support on the tag issue (august 13)  as well as the previous e-mail to support (august 8) on the lack of options for club selection.
Apart from the automated acknowledgement of receipt, the reaction from Garmin is: SILENCE!

To be quite honest I am a very frustrated and disappointed last time Garmin customer. Not only a deficient product but a complete abscence of customer service!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

pelotonjon

GolfWRX Sponsors