Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cobra F7 vs F8 driver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239415
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

There are threads I'm sure, but I'm sick of filtering thru all of them with the consistent comments of Callaway and TM over Cobra.  I am a Cobra driver guy since the Amp driver.  I currently have the F7 regular with double weights.  I hit it great and am extremely happy with it.  I don't plan on upgrading unless I can get a great price.  I understand the best way is to try it out, but wanted some opinions on here.  Is there an off the rack benefit to upgrading to the F8 from the F7?  I honestly don't know what I'm looking for if I were to upgrade, maybe a different look... a few more yards would be okay.  Thoughts on F7 vs. F8?

If there is any experience with the fairway woods, I'd like to hear this as well.

Driver - Cobra King F7 dual weight @ 12.5D w Project X PXv Red shaft S/X
Fairway wood -  Cobra F6 4-5 Wood @ 18.5D w Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue AR shaft
Hybrid - Cobra F6 4-5 Hybrid @ 23.5D w White Matrix Ozik Program S shaft
Irons/Wedges - Cobra Amp Cell Silver 5 - LW w TT multi-step custom fit shafts
Putter - Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 5 of 5 w UST FF shaft
Ball - Top Flite Gamer - Truvis Pattern
Grips - Karma Tour Velvet Standard Ribbed
Putter Grip: Ping PP58 Midsize

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TheGeekGolfer

TheGeekGolfer

Just beat the Huskies! Go Cougs!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103159
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 510

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Recently upgraded from bio cell to F7. I had a few shafts, so I wanted to stay in Cobra family.I hit F6, F7, and F8 quite a bit on simulators. The numbers for me were nearly identical. I didn't like the sound of the F6. F7 was solid and I couldn't find any reason to justify more money for the F8. Ymmv

#3 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 23146

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

I tested both and chose the F7 over the F8.    My numbers were nearly identical, but the F7 was heavily discounted.   I did like the aesthetics and sound of the F8, but I couldn't justify the upcharged.

Put the F7 and F8 fairways against my Wishon 950HC fairways and I was more consistent and longer with the later.    I didn't like the way the Cobra's sat at address, as they appeared closed and were too upright.  They had a pleasing sound at impact and I liked the shape of the end.    In fairness my Wishon is a hand select head that sits open, has the correct lie angle, and is built shorter than anything off the shelf.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#4 Sparky14

Sparky14

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422722
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:sparky-14
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

I had an F7 and loved it. After 4 months, the paint began to come off the crown edge. I sent it back to Cobra, who replaced it with a new one. Unfortunately, they had no more blue heads, so they sent a silver. I hated that color as my favorite shaft looked great with the blue. After looking on ebay for a replacement blue head, I ended up getting one of the camo Blue F8 drivers.

Performance wise, not a big change between the F8 and F7. I spent a lot of time on launch monitors, and at best I got 1-2 mph more ball speed, and maybe 100 rpm less spin. The F8 seems to be a bit more forgiving on toe hits, which is good for me. The F8 works great, no doubt. Looks and sounds great too. But I wouldn't upgrade an F7 to an F8 unless you have other reasons than just looking for something better.

Fairways - I had both the F7 3w and 3 hybrid. Hated the rails. Here in SoCal, the lies are usually tight and hard, and I never topped so many 3w shots. Got rid of those real fast. I now have BioCell 3w and 3h with no rails and I love them. In blue of course.

#5 FredWomble

FredWomble

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17336
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

I had the F7+ driver and performance wise it was fine. It wasn't noticeably longer for me than the LTD and didn't feel or sound as good as the LTD. I sold the F7 and got an F8+ driver. Paired with Even Flow 5.5 75g, it's a tremendous club for me. I don't expect to ever depart with the LTD, a timeless model IMO. You can get LTD at a very low cost, to me the LTD and F8 are more alike, and better, than F7.

Cobra F8+ with Aldila NV Blue 60 S/Even Flow 75 5.5
Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
Cobra King Utility 20.5 Aldila Rogue S 20.5
Cobra King 4-GW Project X PXi 5.5 (black)
Scratch 1018 KBS 56, Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
Yes! Nicky with Pure counterbalance grip
Too many shoes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors