Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I think I've found it and I will try to prove it... my last post here promise


50 replies to this topic

#1 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Update.. front n side view video on page 2.

First of all I would like to start by saying I am well aware that I have zero credentials on this forum or anywhere for that matter. Most of you will probably think I'm trolling, annoying or simply juvenile. I get that, I'd probably think the same thing if i read my previous idiotic aha moment posts and childish questions. With that being said, I think I've discovered how to swing the golf club like Mr. Ben Hogan. To prove that this swing mechanic have at least some merit I will use this swing to get a pro card from the TPGA in Thailand first. If it performs under pressure leading to me getting the pro card at least it would be a start in proving it's merit or usefulness. And I will share my insights on what I discovered with fellow forum members.

I've been playing golf for over 14 years now and would have a hard time breaking 90. My best score would be an 83 on a very easy and short public course. So it amazes me that by using the swing idea i discovered now i am able to regularly break 80 and in many rounds shot even par with very bad putting. To prepared for the upcoming Q-school I've just hired a local pro to improve my putting, short game, recovery shots and course management. If everything goes well and I have my pro card I'll be more confident to share to you what i think the swing mechanics and the secret is. My swing on camera looks similar to Mr. Hogan's especially through the hitting zone. I have some knowledge of basics fundamental to know what to look for. And from P7 to P8  it looks very similar. I only knew this because my local pro was kind enough to use the V1 to compared my swing and Mr.Hogan's frame by frame both down the line and frontview. Hitting shots that goes where I aim now seems so much easier with this swing. With bad shots resulting from mis-alignments or wrong club selection and my inability to control distance. I still do not know how to use this swing to shape shots at the moment. I can only hit straight shots with this.

I know some of you will think I'm insane or that I'm trying to sell you guys an e-book or some training program to make money. I am not. Golf have become so much fun for me again and my wish is simply to share this knowledge in hope it will do the same for my fellow golfers. Once I prove that it really works by getting my pro card I will find a coherent way to show everyone what I discovered. I'll get back to you on the result. Hopefully I make it. If not I will apologize to the forum for crying wolf yet again wasting everybody's time.

In regarding what I think Mr.Hogan's swing and his swing secret is about
1. I believe there is indeed a secret. Hell, I'm using it right now to shoot great scores with below average distance control and putting. I believe Mr. Hogan was truthful about everything he said. It just seem cryptic because it was bits n pieces of info out of context that's all. Everything he told us I believe he really did do.
2. The secret has many prerequisites. Before utilizing the secret itself many aspect of the Hogan swing can't be overlooked.
- The grip. Basic grip knowledge would suffice in this case. But a neutral to weak grip works best.
- The set-up. Now this is the part that I found would make or break the Hogan style swing because it is very unique. It looks normal but it is not the normal set-up. I believe it to be the most important part of the secret prerequisites.
- The backswing. Without the set-up part this part would not function properly. I've tried a traditional set-up and it doesn't produce the same effect like when using the Hogan set-up.
- The transition. Funnily enough the transition seems to almost happened all by itself if we implement the previous parts correctly.
- The secret. This is such a simple twist from our natural instinct that it is mind boggling why nobody ever mentioned it. But then again because the Hogan swing's prerequisite in itself is very abstract and difficult to notice and execute. And without it the secret would be useless.

I found out through experimentation that we really do need all the pieces together because one would not work without the other. I've spent my life obsessing about everything Mr. Hogan said in all of his interviews and his books. And watching his swing clips over and over again while rushing to the range or my backyard to try it out no matter how idiotic the idea or result may be. I've never even thought it was possible to decode his swing until I decided to try reverse engineering the whole thing. Looking at things backward showed me something i never thought I'd see in the past. This lead to me accidentally discovering a drill to make any of us experience the Hogan impact zone. And from this very drill that I was able to start putting the pieces together. I kept at it until I can be certain which body parts needs to be in which position at set-up, backswing and transition. It sure is a joy to feel the automatic flat lead wrist throughout the hitting area. The club face never snaps shut or flip and the lead wrist is always flat. The club face will be square to the swing path from P6 to impact to P8 with zero conscience effort. I found out that I can't even try to flip or snap it shut even if I wanted to. I taught it to my brothers and very close friend and it works. People that don't know Hogan jokingly call my swing the robot swing because it produces boring and straight shots all the time. Okay guys, enough about that. TTYL :blush2:

p.s. for people who thinks I'm just another idiot who thinks an aha moment means more than it is... you might be right but please stay tuned. Let me try to prove you wrong. Thanks for your time and patience reading my overenthusiastic rant.

Edited by WinKiePie, 29 September 2018 - 06:42 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hogan's "secret" deals with how he finally eliminated the hook from his swing that reared its head at the most inopportune times.  It was an idea that he got one night and successfully implemented in one range session the next day according to him.  It was found in the summer of 1947 when he returned home after his disappointing showing at the PGA Championship (R64) and before his victory at George May's tournament a few weeks later.

So if what you found doesn't deal with fixing his hook and wouldn't have been quickly implemented, you might have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.  He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

Edited by moehogan, 16 July 2018 - 09:37 PM.


2

#3 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3148

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:47 PM

Really gonna have to post some videos.

3

#4 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

View Postmoehogan, on 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Hogan's "secret" deals with how he finally eliminated the hook from his swing that reared its head at the most inopportune times.  It was an idea that he got one night and successfully implemented in one range session the next day according to him.  It was found in the summer of 1947 when he returned home after his disappointing showing at the PGA Championship (R64) and before his victory at George May's tournament a few weeks later.

So if what you found doesn't deal with fixing his hook and wouldn't have been quickly implemented, you might have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.  He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

You are right. Before he found the secret all his other moving parts where already superb. But the secret was the last piece of the jigsaw that made him a legend. You are also correct about the fact that I have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.... PLUS "the secret". I too was a chronic hooker when under pressure or when my timing was off. So the little "thing" that fixed it when working with the rest of the "Hogan existing swing mechanics" was not something difficult to implement at all. Kinda like doing the "opposite" of what our instinct wants us to do. The grip, set-up and backswing will take care of the automated swinging of the shaft around the body. The secret is what manages the clubface stability throughout the hitting area.

p.s. looking at you avatar the secret is as clear as day

Edited by WinKiePie, 16 July 2018 - 10:39 PM.


4

#5 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

View Postfarmer, on 16 July 2018 - 09:47 PM, said:

Really gonna have to post some videos.

Lemme get my Thailand PGA Golf Instructor/Touring Pro License first. I will posts all my swing videos here. I promise. Please be patient while I get this damn license first :blush2:


5

#6 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

And after I prove to you guys and myself by becoming pro if anybody happens to be in Bangkok Thailand or plan on visiting just pm me ok. We'll meet up at the range and I will show you what I've found. FOR FREE!!! You just pay for your own golf balls. And if it works you can always buy me beer and be lifelong friends. Cheers!

6

#7 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostWinKiePie, on 16 July 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Hogan's "secret" deals with how he finally eliminated the hook from his swing that reared its head at the most inopportune times.  It was an idea that he got one night and successfully implemented in one range session the next day according to him.  It was found in the summer of 1947 when he returned home after his disappointing showing at the PGA Championship (R64) and before his victory at George May's tournament a few weeks later.

So if what you found doesn't deal with fixing his hook and wouldn't have been quickly implemented, you might have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.  He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

You are right. Before he found the secret all his other moving parts where already superb. But the secret was the last piece of the jigsaw that made him a legend. You are also correct about the fact that I have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.... PLUS "the secret". I too was a chronic hooker when under pressure or when my timing was off. So the little "thing" that fixed it when working with the rest of the "Hogan existing swing mechanics" was not something difficult to implement at all. Kinda like doing the "opposite" of what our instinct wants us to do. The grip, set-up and backswing will take care of the automated swinging of the shaft around the body. The secret is what manages the clubface stability throughout the hitting area.

p.s. looking at you avatar the secret is as clear as day

Yea, that's exactly why I have used that avatar for the last ten years.  IMO, Hogan's clubface stability was achieved through a specific application of opposing grip pressures.  It cured my hook many years ago ... works like a charm!

7

#8 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

View PostDavid C, on 17 July 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 17 July 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

View PostWinKiePie, on 16 July 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Hogan's "secret" deals with how he finally eliminated the hook from his swing that reared its head at the most inopportune times.  It was an idea that he got one night and successfully implemented in one range session the next day according to him.  It was found in the summer of 1947 when he returned home after his disappointing showing at the PGA Championship (R64) and before his victory at George May's tournament a few weeks later.

So if what you found doesn't deal with fixing his hook and wouldn't have been quickly implemented, you might have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.  He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

You are right. Before he found the secret all his other moving parts where already superb. But the secret was the last piece of the jigsaw that made him a legend. You are also correct about the fact that I have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.... PLUS "the secret". I too was a chronic hooker when under pressure or when my timing was off. So the little "thing" that fixed it when working with the rest of the "Hogan existing swing mechanics" was not something difficult to implement at all. Kinda like doing the "opposite" of what our instinct wants us to do. The grip, set-up and backswing will take care of the automated swinging of the shaft around the body. The secret is what manages the clubface stability throughout the hitting area.

p.s. looking at you avatar the secret is as clear as day

Yea, that's exactly why I have used that avatar for the last ten years.  IMO, Hogan's clubface stability was achieved through a specific application of opposing grip pressures.  It cured my hook many years ago ... works like a charm!

Have you ever noticed, if you keep your lead/left elbow pointing at the target by internal upper arm rotation, there is a physical limit to how much you can supinate the left forearm. And if you keep your upper right arm externally rotated there is a limit to the right forearm pronation?

There is range of motion but there are limits even if you apply maximum forearm rotation. Whereas with both upper arms neutral, if you wanted to, you could turn the face over...
The left arm ISR with left forearm supination is extremely difficult to execute at speed through impact.  It also has a braking effect on arm triangle travel.  However, maintaining some of the ESR of the right arm (or the CW winding of the right arm for a right hander) is much easier to accomplish and, IMO, is more evident in Hogan's post secret swing.

8

#9 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24121

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

Did you write this???

Posted Image

9

#10 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

View Postmoehogan, on 17 July 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostDavid C, on 17 July 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 17 July 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

View PostWinKiePie, on 16 July 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Hogan's "secret" deals with how he finally eliminated the hook from his swing that reared its head at the most inopportune times.  It was an idea that he got one night and successfully implemented in one range session the next day according to him.  It was found in the summer of 1947 when he returned home after his disappointing showing at the PGA Championship (R64) and before his victory at George May's tournament a few weeks later.

So if what you found doesn't deal with fixing his hook and wouldn't have been quickly implemented, you might have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.  He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

You are right. Before he found the secret all his other moving parts where already superb. But the secret was the last piece of the jigsaw that made him a legend. You are also correct about the fact that I have stumbled on something that was already a part of his action.... PLUS "the secret". I too was a chronic hooker when under pressure or when my timing was off. So the little "thing" that fixed it when working with the rest of the "Hogan existing swing mechanics" was not something difficult to implement at all. Kinda like doing the "opposite" of what our instinct wants us to do. The grip, set-up and backswing will take care of the automated swinging of the shaft around the body. The secret is what manages the clubface stability throughout the hitting area.

p.s. looking at you avatar the secret is as clear as day

Yea, that's exactly why I have used that avatar for the last ten years.  IMO, Hogan's clubface stability was achieved through a specific application of opposing grip pressures.  It cured my hook many years ago ... works like a charm!

Have you ever noticed, if you keep your lead/left elbow pointing at the target by internal upper arm rotation, there is a physical limit to how much you can supinate the left forearm. And if you keep your upper right arm externally rotated there is a limit to the right forearm pronation?

There is range of motion but there are limits even if you apply maximum forearm rotation. Whereas with both upper arms neutral, if you wanted to, you could turn the face over...
The left arm ISR with left forearm supination is extremely difficult to execute at speed through impact.  It also has a braking effect on arm triangle travel.  However, maintaining some of the ESR of the right arm (or the CW winding of the right arm for a right hander) is much easier to accomplish and, IMO, is more evident in Hogan's post secret swing.

Yep you're right. Without the right technique it is extremely difficult bordering on impossible to execute at high speed through impact consistently. Because the golfer would be fighting nature's force(tremendous momentum plus+the weight of the clubhead) throughout the hitting area. And would not be sustainable nor practical in pressure situation where the nerves are shot to hell. But there's a way in which to reverse that force into getting all your moving parts to "fall into place" by itself with that force of nature working "for you" and not against you. Hence the part where i say that the unique set-up and backswing style will lead to the "AUTOMATED" freewheeling with flat lead wrists and square to the swing path stable clubface throughout the impact zone. The true secret is within the way one "mindfully" activates the right body part triggering the chain reaction leading to the stable impact zone. That is why Hogan guarded his secret so tightly and hardly ever tells anybody more than bits and pieces to different people in his circle. It's like a treasure map that needs to be glue together to see the whole picture.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:23 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 17 July 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

Did you write this???

Posted Image

I wished! :rofl:

11

#12 David C

David C

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
  • Joined: 09/30/2008
  • Location:England
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

I don’t think he had a flat lead wrist at all and I don’t think he ‘freewheeled’ it. I think he drove the club through impact. At least, visually it clearly looks like that to me.

12

#13 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

View PostDavid C, on 18 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't think he had a flat lead wrist at all and I don't think he 'freewheeled' it. I think he drove the club through impact. At least, visually it clearly looks like that to me.

Posted Image

Very flat sir. But for the not freewheeling looks of it i understand your point of view. It doesn't look like that cause he doesn't give out the vibe of swinging his hands and arms independently from his torso like many golfer does (think Bubba Watson and Ricky Fowler or Fred Couples). It just looks very connected because the little unique things he did in his set-up and backswing and "the secret" move he does in transition made his arms and body sync up or fall into place perfectly everytime while keeping his "HIT INSTINCT" intact hence the "three right hand comment". This could only be "felt" if you know how to do it. It is not clear to see on camera at all. It is a very abstract concept never covered in any golf book I've read. That is why his secret has been kept safe for the past decade in my humble opinion.

With that being said. I could be wrong and you could be correct as well. Like I said, until I have proven this theory by becoming pro all bets are still on. And I truly welcome any further discussions or critiques whether be positive nor negative sir. Cheers!

Edited by WinKiePie, 19 July 2018 - 02:08 AM.


13

#14 David C

David C

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
  • Joined: 09/30/2008
  • Location:England
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostWinKiePie, on 18 July 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostDavid C, on 18 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't think he had a flat lead wrist at all and I don't think he 'freewheeled' it. I think he drove the club through impact. At least, visually it clearly looks like that to me.

Posted Image

Very flat sir. But for the not freewheeling looks of it i understand your point of view. It doesn't look like that cause he doesn't give out the vibe of swinging his hands and arms independently from his torso like many golfer does (think Bubba Watson and Ricky Fowler or Fred Couples). It just looks very connected because the little unique things he did in his set-up and backswing and "the secret" move he does in transition made his arms and body sync up or fall into place perfectly everytime while keeping his "HIT INSTINCT" intact hence the "three right hand comment". This could only be "felt" if you know how to do it. It is not clear to see on camera at all. It is a very abstract concept never covered in any golf book I've read. That is why his secret has been kept safe for the past decade in my humble opinion.

With that being said. I could be wrong and you could be correct as well. Like I said, until I have proven this theory by becoming pro all bets are still on. And I truly welcome any further discussions or critiques whether be positive nor negative sir. Cheers!

Imo

I say ‘driven’ because I think the right arm extends with a lot of force and I don’t think it is flung straight by the turning body; I think he drives it out and hits with it. I think he swings his arms and club independently but synchronised with his body.

The lead wrist was in palmar flexion and supinating (predominantly) from arm at last parallel to club at last parallel, then (predominantly) supinating and dorsi flexing. I would say that at the moment of that photo, the wrist was ‘supinated’ and ‘palmar flexed’, I don’t believe he had a geometrically or even visually flat left wrist. His weak palm and finger left hand grip also lends its influence.

In the picture above his wrist is bent still, both in my opinion, visually, and it can be inferred as well, looking at the bent back right wrist. I think his wrist joints were always in motion. Never flat.

As for the three right hands comment, that was part of the ‘practice’ section of that section of the book. If you re-read it, his downswing thoughts are unturn left hip and hit through the ball. He then details FOR PRACTICE, the independent motions (left hand supination through palmar flexion; right hand side arm baseball throw) and then the joint handed motion (the medicine ball). The comment about three right hands is simply that in my opinion, a commentary. It fits with a concept of being straighter the harder you hit it, working with muscles that are flexed maximally to maintain similar feel day-to-day i.e. consistency (and the waggle to get ‘feel’ back, if you ‘feel’ you ‘don’t have it’ that particular day) and it fits with the grip section and the LIFE magazine ‘secret’ article.

IMO, his concept is the right hand (and the clubface) rolls over the left in the downswing. Hence the strong pivot, the weak left hand grip, the left hand in the palm, the weak right hand grip, the ‘bad guys in the Western’ and the ‘practically forget about the hands’ comments.

The comment is therefore saying something like this: ‘if you put the left hand on the club like this, release the club rolling it like this (part of the hook problem), and the right hand in a subservient position like this, as long as you hit hard with both hands, the right will never overpower the left. Because of the adjustments you have built in. Therefore *as long as you do this, and hit with the left hand* you will want the power of three right hands’.

In my opinion.

Edited by David C, 19 July 2018 - 03:26 AM.


14

#15 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostDavid C, on 19 July 2018 - 03:13 AM, said:

View PostWinKiePie, on 18 July 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostDavid C, on 18 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't think he had a flat lead wrist at all and I don't think he 'freewheeled' it. I think he drove the club through impact. At least, visually it clearly looks like that to me.

Posted Image

Very flat sir. But for the not freewheeling looks of it i understand your point of view. It doesn't look like that cause he doesn't give out the vibe of swinging his hands and arms independently from his torso like many golfer does (think Bubba Watson and Ricky Fowler or Fred Couples). It just looks very connected because the little unique things he did in his set-up and backswing and "the secret" move he does in transition made his arms and body sync up or fall into place perfectly everytime while keeping his "HIT INSTINCT" intact hence the "three right hand comment". This could only be "felt" if you know how to do it. It is not clear to see on camera at all. It is a very abstract concept never covered in any golf book I've read. That is why his secret has been kept safe for the past decade in my humble opinion.

With that being said. I could be wrong and you could be correct as well. Like I said, until I have proven this theory by becoming pro all bets are still on. And I truly welcome any further discussions or critiques whether be positive nor negative sir. Cheers!

Imo

I say ‘driven’ because I think the right arm extends with a lot of force and I don’t think it is flung straight by the turning body; I think he drives it out and hits with it. I think he swings his arms and club independently but synchronised with his body.

The lead wrist was in palmar flexion and supinating (predominantly) from arm at last parallel to club at last parallel, then (predominantly) supinating and dorsi flexing. I would say that at the moment of that photo, the wrist was ‘supinated’ and ‘palmar flexed’, I don’t believe he had a geometrically or even visually flat left wrist. His weak palm and finger left hand grip also lends its influence.

In the picture above his wrist is bent still, both in my opinion, visually, and it can be inferred as well, looking at the bent back right wrist. I think his wrist joints were always in motion. Never flat.

As for the three right hands comment, that was part of the ‘practice’ section of that section of the book. If you re-read it, his downswing thoughts are unturn left hip and hit through the ball. He then details FOR PRACTICE, the independent motions (left hand supination through palmar flexion; right hand side arm baseball throw) and then the joint handed motion (the medicine ball). The comment about three right hands is simply that in my opinion, a commentary. It fits with a concept of being straighter the harder you hit it, working with muscles that are flexed maximally to maintain similar feel day-to-day i.e. consistency (and the waggle to get ‘feel’ back, if you ‘feel’ you ‘don’t have it’ that particular day) and it fits with the grip section and the LIFE magazine ‘secret’ article.

IMO, his concept is the right hand (and the clubface) rolls over the left in the downswing. Hence the strong pivot, the weak left hand grip, the left hand in the palm, the weak right hand grip, the ‘bad guys in the Western’ and the ‘practically forget about the hands’ comments.

The comment is therefore saying something like this: ‘if you put the left hand on the club like this, release the club rolling it like this (part of the hook problem), and the right hand in a subservient position like this, as long as you hit hard with both hands, the right will never overpower the left. Because of the adjustments you have built in. Therefore *as long as you do this, and hit with the left hand* you will want the power of three right hands’.

In my opinion.

IMO, the above pic illustrates exactly what I am contending ... the left hand is trying to turn CCW (supinate) with the last three fingers of the left hand while the right hand is trying to hold its DS CW winding (supination) motivated by the two middle fingers of the right hand.  The left wrist PF is the result of these opposing torques.  He talked about these grip pressure points in 5L but not how he worked them together as it wouldn’t have helped most of the non-hooking public.

The difference from post-secret and pre-secret is the two middle fingers of the right hand not entirely giving up their CW pressures.  Thus there was no need to time the rolling of the right hand with the left through impact ... he could hit hard with both hands with a stable clubface.  Takes only one range session to calibrate a stock shot ... other shapes can be accomplished with slight pressure changes.  

Why else would Hogan have focused his stare at them on the dust jacket of the 1st edition of 5L?  Another big hint is to look closely at where the V’s formed by the pincers of each hand point at address vs. impact.  It’s easy to see if you know where to look!

Edited by moehogan, 19 July 2018 - 12:27 PM.


15

#16 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3148

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

If I find myself in Thailand, I will look you up.  Don't hold your breath or clear your schedule.

16

#17 Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221885
  • Joined: 01/15/2013
  • Location:Fairfield TWP
GolfWRX Likes : 3469

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Wasnt Mr Hogan known as Capt Hook?  Guessing pre-secret that is.  Amazing golfer.
Z785 - Tensei Pro Blue 60s
TS2 3w - Diamana LTD S+ 80s
718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds -  Rifle 6.0
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
Srixon Z Star XV/Pro V1x (still debating)

17

#18 David C

David C

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
  • Joined: 09/30/2008
  • Location:England
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

In the picture above it always looks to me like the club shaft is a direct extension of his left arm.

18

#19 Fade

Fade

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212785
  • Joined: 11/24/2012
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

Good luck, OP!

19

#20 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1527

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

I'm getting a restraining order. :russian_roulette:


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

 farmer, on 19 July 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

If I find myself in Thailand, I will look you up.  Don't hold your breath or clear your schedule.

PM me if you do. Cheers!

 Fade, on 19 July 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Good luck, OP!

Thank you so much! Will keep you posted on my Thailand PGA q-school progress.

21

#22 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7156

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Love the enthusiasm .. look me up if u get to Toronto
TMade '16 M2 9.75* Mitsu Diamana TI BB 53x
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping s55 6i - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper GW 50* s400
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Vokey SM2 Oil Can 64.07* s400 Onyx
Piretti Matera Elite - Custom Torched

22

#23 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

 David C, on 19 July 2018 - 03:13 AM, said:

 WinKiePie, on 18 July 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

 David C, on 18 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't think he had a flat lead wrist at all and I don't think he 'freewheeled' it. I think he drove the club through impact. At least, visually it clearly looks like that to me.

Posted Image

Very flat sir. But for the not freewheeling looks of it i understand your point of view. It doesn't look like that cause he doesn't give out the vibe of swinging his hands and arms independently from his torso like many golfer does (think Bubba Watson and Ricky Fowler or Fred Couples). It just looks very connected because the little unique things he did in his set-up and backswing and "the secret" move he does in transition made his arms and body sync up or fall into place perfectly everytime while keeping his "HIT INSTINCT" intact hence the "three right hand comment". This could only be "felt" if you know how to do it. It is not clear to see on camera at all. It is a very abstract concept never covered in any golf book I've read. That is why his secret has been kept safe for the past decade in my humble opinion.

With that being said. I could be wrong and you could be correct as well. Like I said, until I have proven this theory by becoming pro all bets are still on. And I truly welcome any further discussions or critiques whether be positive nor negative sir. Cheers!

Imo

I say 'driven' because I think the right arm extends with a lot of force and I don't think it is flung straight by the turning body; I think he drives it out and hits with it. I think he swings his arms and club independently but synchronised with his body.
In my opinion.

You are correct. I am not disagreeing with what you are saying at all. In fact we are in agreement with the nature of how Hogan swing feelings are. It is my fault or might be the language barrier that is holding me back from articulating what I'm trying to say. I am indeed in agreement with your point exactly. One can't play consistently if one tries to force things that the body, arms and hands wants to do naturally in concert with the momentum of the moving body parts and club. To manufacture it mid swing or try to hold back any moving parts one must be extremely strong and gifted with superb or superhuman hand-eyes coordination.

I guess my point is, with Hogan's unique set-up, backswing style and the secret he employs in the transition he is free to let every hit instinct go wild through the hitting area. He does indeed let the right arm extends with a lot of force as one's right or trail arm would naturally do coming into the hitting zone. But there's a reason why his right elbow looks like it's glued to his right hip. Trust me he isn't thinking about that at all in the downswing. Imagine a train running on a train track. The secret is the train track. Hogan's hit instinct is the train's engine. Most people will be at best like a very stable race car that no matter how well tuned the car is, one would have to be mindful of the steering wheel while Hogan's swing does not have to worry about that at all. That explains his longevity in his golf game. It means that his body suffers no strain from trying to steer or hold back anything. He never had back problems despite his horrific injury from the accident.

Edited by WinKiePie, 19 July 2018 - 08:20 PM.


23

#24 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

 cardoustie, on 19 July 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

Love the enthusiasm .. look me up if u get to Toronto

Will do sir. Thank you so much. Might be in NYC next February. Will see if any of my friends wanna visit Toronto with me :blush2:

24

#25 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

 Lord Helmet, on 19 July 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

Wasnt Mr Hogan known as Capt Hook?  Guessing pre-secret that is.  Amazing golfer.

And an amazing human being. He's my hero.


25

#26 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:17 AM

 moehogan, on 16 July 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

He admitted that "the secret" probably wouldn't help most others as all of the previous swing pieces needed to be in place.  Hogan was already an accomplished player before finding "the secret", winning the Vardon trophy and leading money winner multiple times and a major (1946 PGA).  He regarded the US Open as the ultimate test of golf and finally won it the following year in 1948.

Comparing pre-secret vids, especially the ones shot for Power Golf at Augusta in the spring of 1947, with post secret vids can be very enlightening.

For anyone interested in digging it out for yourselves. What moehogan said is one hundred percent true. If you do not have Hogan's previous swing pieces needed in place, the secret will not help you as much as it helped him. And in many cases makes it worse. His unique grip, set-up and backswing technique is a prerequisite for the whole thing to come together. In my opinion the journey in which to discover the first part of swing pieces is half the battle already. Once that part is acquired the secret that cure Hogan's hook and made him the best ballstriker in history can be explained and understood in just a couple of minutes.

Edited by WinKiePie, 20 July 2018 - 02:28 AM.


26

#27 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

edit

Edited by WinKiePie, 23 July 2018 - 01:54 AM.


27

#28 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

edit

Edited by WinKiePie, 23 July 2018 - 01:54 AM.


28

#29 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:27 AM

edit

Edited by WinKiePie, 23 July 2018 - 01:54 AM.


29

#30 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
  • Joined: 07/03/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:30 AM

edit

Edited by WinKiePie, 23 July 2018 - 01:54 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors