Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver head/face shape: pros/cons

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 macedan

macedan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503368
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

My two drivers (VRS Covert and R7 superquad) have noticeable different headshapes even though both are 460cc head. The Covert compared to the R7 from head on is much flatter/broader where as the R7 seems to have a taller narrower face. I realize there are probably more shapes and sizes but these have been my only two to compare from.

I’ve always wondered if driver face/head shape has any noticeable difference on performance. If you have any insight please enlighten me on pros/cons and which you prefer.

Nike VRS-Covert 11.5*
Taylormade R7 Steel 15*
Taylormade Aeroburner 18*
Taylormade Rescue 11 21*
Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
Cleveland CBX 50/11
Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
Cleveland RTX-3 58/8
Taylormade Nubbins B1S
Srixon Q-Star | Taylormade Rocketballz Urethane

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Valtiel

Valtiel

Trap Draw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1138

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:20 AM

The biggest tech impact (aside from the psychological and acoustic ones) comes from the way those different head shapes allow weight to be distributed. Drivers that stretch back further will have more weight further away from the face, increasing MOI and thus average launch angle and forgiveness. Drivers that are shorter front to back and taller top to bottom will normally have lower MOI and generally speaking will be longer and less forgiving. There is also the matter of vertical CG. Taylormade has long utilized the "low and forward" design approach for a few simple reasons; its an easier type of driver to make and will on average produce the most impressive numbers on good strikes. This is why TM has always been at the front of the distance race because while other drivers will likely be longer on average, TM's longest will often be longer than everyone else's. Low CG makes it easier to achieve high launch/low spin conditions.

Nike on the other hand went in the complete opposite direction towards the end producing very high CG drivers that were spinnier and ended up being left behind in the distance race. Now this did make them more accurate (more spin = more axis tilt necessary to send the ball offline) and maybe this was what they were counting on but clearly it didn't work out. This is all came down to head design and weight distribution.
Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
  Posted Image  XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X
| | Posted Image SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0

Posted Image MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind
Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
Posted Image Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft
                                                             WITB Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors