Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hip spinning?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133362
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

I seem to finally be coming inside and not early extending, however the expense is that my hips are spinning out of control. Would you guys agree? Or is this ok? Any drills appreciated!

https://youtu.be/1_aXHLMp8cQ

https://youtu.be/OuAnY4Jda7w

Edited by Cowabunga, 13 July 2018 - 09:25 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 soulciccia

soulciccia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461262
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:08 AM

Show some videos with the ball...swing changes much when hitting
D callaway razr fit xtreme 9,5° w/ px blue 6.5
W titleist 906 f2 15° w/ aldila nv 95x
di titleist 503h 19° w/ dg x100
i ping s56 #4-pw w/ dg x100
w ping tour-s 52.12-56.12-60.ts w/ dg s400
p odyssey white hot 2ball

#3 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

View Postrusty04, on 14 July 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

Show some videos with the ball...swing changes much when hitting

By holding my back, and specifically my hands, to the target and letting my core pull the arms through has really helped to come inside and stay in posture.

I'm curious if at some point I need to make the arms active, or stall out the hips. Right now my arms are completely dead weight with no activation.

#4 dlanerie

dlanerie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84038
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

This sounds like hooks, blocks, flipping, getting stuck waiting to happen.  Have to speed up the arms.  Not sure why you'd ever want your arms to be dead weight with no activation.

#5 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1487

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

This is over exaggerating hip turn.  Right now, the hips are leaving the upper body behind and are not connected.  Get the right elbow to fall in front of the right hip and then turn through.

Also, clean up that right foot footwork.  The heel needs to lead the tow instead of spinning out on it.  More of a rolling motion.

Edited by bogeypro, 14 July 2018 - 09:59 AM.

Titleist TS2 8.5* driver
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818 H2 3 hybrid
Titleist 718 TMB 4-pw
Titleist Vokey 50f/56m/60m
putter: it varies - I can three putt anything

#6 jkbroker

jkbroker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275587
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

You need to be hitting a ball, too easy to swing different when there is no result.

#7 WILDTHING

WILDTHING

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457380
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

You are lucky to be so flexible but the amount of strain you are putting on your spine is imho very risky.  You are also going to risk injuring your lead knee too because rather than keeping the weight pressure on the inside of the lead foot in the mid-late downswing and bracing over an extending lead leg , the foot has already turned over the outside and your knee is way outside the left foot. You might need someone to guide you on how to swing rhythmically in balance and without strain.

Here is a video by Shawn Clement that might provide you with some 'feel drills' using heavy tools to get your pivot, weight shift. rhythm and balance all in synch.

Edited by WILDTHING, 14 July 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Lefthook

Lefthook

Golf nerd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101445
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Swing looks a bit loose, but with pretty good fundamendals, imo. You could improve your transition somewhat. By starting the lower body a split hair before the upper body, hands and club head has completed the back swing. Study Fowler’s trhythm and transition in that regard...

Also, you could tighten up a few nuts and bolts.

I disagree with those who oppose to the hands behind dead weight, it’s a good thing imo. But use your trail hand to brace the connection between lead arm and shoulder. Use it to place your hands where the pivot gets max leverage.

IMO you’re on the right track here.

#9 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostWILDTHING, on 14 July 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

You are lucky to be so flexible but the amount of strain you are putting on your spine is imho very risky.  You are also going to risk injuring your lead knee too because rather than keeping the weight pressure on the inside of the lead foot in the mid-late downswing and bracing over an extending lead leg , the foot has already turned over the outside and your knee is way outside the left foot. You might need someone to guide you on how to swing rhythmically in balance and without strain.

Here is a video by Shawn Clement that might provide you with some 'feel drills' using heavy tools to get your pivot, weight shift. rhythm and balance all in synch.

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to checking out that video during my lunch break.

You are very astute with your observation, I give you credit. I'm already experiencing pain along my spine. Some nights I'll wake up and have trouble rolling over in bed. At first I thought it was from lifting something heavy at work, but my doctor confirmed that due to the area I'm having pain, it's not from lifting but from golf.

It looks like I'll certainly abandon the swing motion of trying to keep the back/hands turned as long as possible until the hip turn forces them to move. That forced restriction was a bad idea. Unfortunately it seemed the only way for me to to keep from early extending, and the easiest way for me to get the club to come from the inside/shallow without me just letting my arms fall before I start my rotation, which feels like it won't generate much power (though I may be wrong).

#10 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

View PostLefthook, on 15 July 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Swing looks a bit loose, but with pretty good fundamendals, imo. You could improve your transition somewhat. By starting the lower body a split hair before the upper body, hands and club head has completed the back swing. Study Fowler's trhythm and transition in that regard...

Also, you could tighten up a few nuts and bolts.

I disagree with those who oppose to the hands behind dead weight, it's a good thing imo. But use your trail hand to brace the connection between lead arm and shoulder. Use it to place your hands where the pivot gets max leverage.

IMO you're on the right track here.

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to start the lower body a little sooner. The instructor I've been taking lessons from has me feeling like I let my arms fall after they reach the top of the backswing before I start my lower body. To get the club more inside, I am supposed to let them fall longer. I think that has slowed down when my transition starts.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

View Postbogeypro, on 14 July 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

This is over exaggerating hip turn.  Right now, the hips are leaving the upper body behind and are not connected.  Get the right elbow to fall in front of the right hip and then turn through.

Also, clean up that right foot footwork.  The heel needs to lead the tow instead of spinning out on it.  More of a rolling motion.

This is what the Pro I have been taking lessons from is telling me as well. To let the arms fall before you turn. The issue I have is figuring out timing, I still seem to struggle with it. I'll keep working, and try the right elbow move you suggested.

#12 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6516

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Not a pro - but to me looks a lot like Monte's "68 Ballerina"

https://rebelliongol...m/68_ballerina/

#13 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

View PostStuart G., on 16 July 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Exactly!!

View PostStuart G., on 16 July 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

#14 Cowabunga

Cowabunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

Wild thing, I took your suggestion and looked at some Shawn Clement videos. I tried his "throwing the club" swing thought. I think it helped quiet things down a little. My apologies for not including a ball, only had a minute to run out and try it.

https://youtu.be/7-GdFYO-Y4Y

https://youtu.be/4OFDV8PW6qE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors