Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Struggling with pitching

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lewisbeardwell

lewisbeardwell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401006
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

When I'm greenside chipping I'm good because I can see my landing spot & outside of 50 yards I'm good because I have yardages for my wedges.

It's just the feely ones that you can see a landing spot for I'm struggling, like I said especially to back flags.

How do people approach them? I had a bit of success tonight practicing using a PW over my 52 degree, gives me more consistent results in terms of judging spin/roll

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2353

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Visualization and imagination. Imagine you see the landing spot...
Taylormade RBZ 9.5
Taylormade Raylor 16
Ping ISIs 3-PW
Taylormade RAC 54
Taylormade TPA V
MacKenzie Walker
K-sig

#3 596

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1478

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

On the other side of the coin are those of us that do not see a landing spot.  I have never done that even though I've tried.  I see where the flag is and I hit the ball to the hole not a spot.  I can imagine the effort it takes to "throw" the ball the distance to the hole.  Just like throwing a base ball to a guy standing there.

I practiced these pitches for hours and hours until I had a natural technique to do it.  I started with a less lofted club, as low as an 8 iron and worked my way to a 52 and now even a 56 to accomplish the shot.  I found that I could not produce a mechanical swing.  I had to find what to me was a natural way of pitching the ball to the hole where I only needed to think about the distance, not the swing.

Is it natural for you to pick a  spot?  or would it be more natural to pitch the ball to the hole?

#4 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10284

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Under 50 yards and using pitching wedge? Imagining myself doing that I would be getting a pretty low flight (basically chipping it) if I wanted the ball to stop before I ran out of space. It isn't that this is necessarily bad (assuming I have things right), but you might want to experiment with a little more hang time in the air vs. running it out too much.
Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Callaway BBA 816 16/PX Evenflow Blue 75s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

#5 PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141617
GolfWRX Likes : 4083

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

A lob wedge and a lot of practice. The landing spot pretty much becomes right beside the hole most of the time.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

#6 lewisbeardwell

lewisbeardwell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401006
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 13 July 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

Under 50 yards and using pitching wedge? Imagining myself doing that I would be getting a pretty low flight (basically chipping it) if I wanted the ball to stop before I ran out of space. It isn't that this is necessarily bad (assuming I have things right), but you might want to experiment with a little more hang time in the air vs. running it out too much.

I'm talking where you are maybe 10 yards short of a green to a back flag with of green lots to work with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors