Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chiropractic and golf


42 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

Besides trying to ease some back pain, I am hoping going to the chiropractor will help with my range of motion. It's only two visits. But, quite frankly, I am in more pain, not less. Any success stories out there or is this just a waste of time?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 jdmorris1980

jdmorris1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119767
  • Joined: 01/03/2011
  • Ebay ID:jdmorris1980
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:57 PM

What is your issue exactly? It can help depending on what you have going on, but there are no miracles out there.

2

#3 GolfGuitarsCars

GolfGuitarsCars

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401376
  • Joined: 10/31/2015
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

I spent three years and a lot of money on a pain management doc getting epidural injections which never worked for me.  I was desperate and decided to give chiropractic care another try.  I go once a week for a five minute adjustment and it has helped me tremendously.  I still have some pain from time to time but it doesn't keep me off the golf course.  It hasn't done anything for my range of motion however.
PING G30 LS Tec 12* (Set to +.5)
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 18*
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0  54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach or Newport Teryllium
2016 PING Hoofer

3

#4 27x10.5

27x10.5

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45548
  • Joined: 01/10/2008
  • Location:Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 507

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

I used to believe in chiropractic but no longer do...draw your own conclusions but if you are in more pain I would stop immediately. There are so many ways to heal through diet and light strength training. I'd have a full diag and imagery from an MD before continuing with the chiro though.

4

#5 27x10.5

27x10.5

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45548
  • Joined: 01/10/2008
  • Location:Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 507

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:47 PM

 GolfGuitarsCars, on 11 July 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

I spent three years and a lot of money on a pain management doc getting epidural injections which never worked for me.  I was desperate and decided to give chiropractic care another try.  I go once a week for a five minute adjustment and it has helped me tremendously.  I still have some pain from time to time but it doesn't keep me off the golf course.  It hasn't done anything for my range of motion however.

Then There's success stories like these so who knows


5

#6 leegee38

leegee38

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3944
  • Joined: 07/30/2005
  • Location:AZ desert
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

I think chiropractors are a lot like golf pros.  It isn't always easy to find a good one, but a really good one can help tremendously.  Some are just better than others at fixing issues.

6

#7 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10409

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

No way anyone can tell you whether any chiropractor will be a waste of time for whatever your actual issue is. Impossible question.

7

#8 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

 jdmorris1980, on 11 July 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

What is your issue exactly? It can help depending on what you have going on, but there are no miracles out there.

Low back pain, have it after a skiing accident, 30 years ago, it hasn't been the same since.

8

#9 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 15990

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

You have to find the right chiro.  


I donít go regularly. But I have bouts of lower back pain at times and itís always muscle related.  I get muscles into knots at times and they wonít release.  My guy is great at doing minimal stuff.  He has a massage therapist on staff And a massage table Iíve offered to buy. lol.  We will work out the muscle issue first. Then an adjustment every other day for a week and Iím usually good for 6 months or more.  Iíve never ever left in more pain.  And Iíve broken my back in 2 places in 2001. So Iím not exactly issue Free.  

Now I will say this. There ar many back cracking quacks out there.  Find a place that uses more therapeutic techniques vs just adjusting every day.  If you have muscle issues all the adjustment on earth wonít help.  Why ?  The muscles are pulling you out of alignment . You have to fix the cause first.
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

9

#10 596

596

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
  • Joined: 02/09/2011
  • Location:Lakeland, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 1424

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:03 AM

I've had back pain for the better part of 30 years.  I was hit by a car directing traffic as a cop.  My right leg is 1" shorter then my left.  My thorasic spine is arthritic to the point I get pains in my left arm and legs.  

When I racing triathlons I did very well as it help keep my back moving and allowed the range of motion.  After I retired from tris I took up golf.  The back got worse over a few years.  I was put on diclofenac (anti-inflammatory) and it helped a ton.  After 2 years my back started to hurt again.  I was sent to a chiro 3x per week to start.  This lasted 4 weeks, then reduced to 2x per week and then 1 time per week, now only as needed.  My golf game changed after the first 2 weeks as my back loosened up.  I had to change my swing slightly as a result.  My range of motion increased a lot and I had to deal with that in my swing.

So yes, a chiro can help.  Your results may be different.  I currently go once a week.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 spineshank

spineshank

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138420
  • Joined: 09/04/2011
  • Location:Charlotte, NC
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:gnrslash4life
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

I use 1. He has helped me tremendously. However, for chronic issues you need to go multiple times a week to see any improvement. A lot of people think going once or twice is going to work some magic.
Ping G400 LST 10*
Taylormade M2 15*
Callaway Apex 18*
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4-PW
Cleveland 588 wedges 50* | 54* | 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic

11

#12 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Morning folks!
Iím a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. Iíve attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players  NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldnít do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.
Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.
To the OP, find a doc thatís been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be ďcuredĒ but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that ď has never felt the same after 30 yearsĒ and has never been effectively treated.
All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnsonís dad is a chiropractor.
Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think youíll be happy.

Nick

12

#13 SomedayScratch

SomedayScratch

    MN Golf Nut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455894
  • Joined: 02/20/2017
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

It all depends on your type of injury. I am only 24, and have had back pain since I was 13. Chiropractics always got me better quickly until recently. I herniated a disc L5-S1, and have a stress fracture in one of my facet joints, and a posterior sublaxation of my L5. It sucks, and tried 10 visits with Chiro with zero improvement. PT gave me very slight improvement, epidural gave me moderate improvement, core strength gave me slight improvement, and hanging from a pullup bar has been the best for me.

If you aren't feeling improvement after a few chiro visits, then it may not work for that issue. Also, I might add there are lots of not so good chiropractors out there. The really elite ones can handle just about any issue, but there are plenty that don't know as much as you would hope.

Anyways,

What type of pain are you feeling? Sharp pain? Radiating through your buttocks and maybe leg? That is a sign of disc issues. If it is more an ache that is probably muscle pain.

13

#14 middie8

middie8

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15476
  • Joined: 06/14/2006
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years.  You just have to find the right chiropractor.  If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out.  I have had that appointment before.  I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area.  He then stretches me and sends me on my way.  My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself.  i have an inversion table that helps a lot.  i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.

14

#15 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 891

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

 middie8, on 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years.  You just have to find the right chiropractor.  If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out.  I have had that appointment before.  I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area.  He then stretches me and sends me on my way.  My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself.  i have an inversion table that helps a lot.  i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.
that sounds more like a Physical Therapist.

There is a reason why Chiro's are not recognized professionally as medical Doctors.


15

#16 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

Is there a way to evaluate/test for if a person is doing this in their swing?

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)
Nike Vapor Pro, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15*, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52*/58*
TaylorMade TP Mullen

16

#17 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

 tsecor, on 12 July 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

 middie8, on 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years.  You just have to find the right chiropractor.  If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out.  I have had that appointment before.  I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area.  He then stretches me and sends me on my way.  My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself.  i have an inversion table that helps a lot.  i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.
that sounds more like a Physical Therapist.

There is a reason why Chiro's are not recognized professionally as medical Doctors.

Neither are dentists or podiatrists or psychologists or physical therapists or acupuncturists, etc etc.
I donít claim to do what an MD does but nor does he do what I do. Currently I have 7 MDs as patients and they, inturn, have made me very busy.
Unfortunately, there is a belief that we are not ďrecognizedĒ by the medical community and that couldnít be further from the truth. Iím governed by the Virginia Board of Medicine. I work in conjunction with orthopedists , neurologists, and other professionals when treating a patient. 20 years ago we werenít accepted by the medical community, mainly because we were an economic threat. Now with over 700 insurance companies covering chiropractic, including Medicare, the military, and other federal programs. With hospital privileges all over the world and the research to support our work, DCs and MDs have found a nice harmony for the good of the patient.

Edited by Spinedoc2304, 12 July 2018 - 10:18 AM.


17

#18 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 891

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

Nobody is saying you do not help anyone, but the theory you can solve illnesses and colds based on spinal manipulation is just quack science to the medical community.  I have three Chiros in my own family and they stick to what they know which is spinal adjustments. But even they will tell you the medicare issues of getting reimbursed is a nightmare.  Plus when you look at the origins of this science, you learn its based on nothing, only theory.   Some people take placebo pills and claim they get better....its all very personal. I'm not trying to offend you in any way but when DC's start comparing themselves to MD"s, its an issue.

Chiro has its place, but unfortunately too many DC"s operate way outside their true scope and give the good ones a bad name.  the AMA does not recognize Chiros and its not because of money. Its because of how Chiropractic care originated.....there is plenty of money to go around

Edited by tsecor, 12 July 2018 - 11:05 AM.


18

#19 middie8

middie8

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15476
  • Joined: 06/14/2006
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

 tsecor, on 12 July 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

 middie8, on 12 July 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years.  You just have to find the right chiropractor.  If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out.  I have had that appointment before.  I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area.  He then stretches me and sends me on my way.  My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself.  i have an inversion table that helps a lot.  i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.
that sounds more like a Physical Therapist.

There is a reason why Chiro's are not recognized professionally as medical Doctors.

Neither are dentists or podiatrists or psychologists or physical therapists or acupuncturists, etc etc.
I don't claim to do what an MD does but nor does he do what I do. Currently I have 7 MDs as patients and they, inturn, have made me very busy.
Unfortunately, there is a belief that we are not "recognized" by the medical community and that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm governed by the Virginia Board of Medicine. I work in conjunction with orthopedists , neurologists, and other professionals when treating a patient. 20 years ago we weren't accepted by the medical community, mainly because we were an economic threat. Now with over 700 insurance companies covering chiropractic, including Medicare, the military, and other federal programs. With hospital privileges all over the world and the research to support our work, DCs and MDs have found a nice harmony for the good of the patient.

i neglected to mention he does adjust me at the end of the appointment.  

also when i threw my back out a few years ago  i went to urgent care.  they gave me no advice or help, just muscle relaxers and constantly reassured me i couldnt get pain meds (in the case that i was just faking to get them) at the time i was completely bent over 90 degrees in intense pain. i then went to primary who just gave me a script for pain meds and sent me on my way.  gee thanks.  i hobbled into this chriropractors office again bent over at the waist, he preformed the exact same procedure as i mentioned above, and walked out like nothing ever happened.  i couldnt believe it. the time and money i spend on the urgent care visit and primary visit in addition to the prescriptions given by both did nothing.  this guy completely fixed me.

19

#20 Millbrook

Millbrook

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
  • Joined: 12/20/2012
  • Location:East Yorkshire UK
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

I found Touch Tuina massage (it's a chinese form of massage) cured my back problems and when I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome it cured that as well.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

 bladehunter, on 12 July 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

You have to find the right chiro.  


I don't go regularly. But I have bouts of lower back pain at times and it's always muscle related.  I get muscles into knots at times and they won't release.  My guy is great at doing minimal stuff.  He has a massage therapist on staff And a massage table I've offered to buy. lol.  We will work out the muscle issue first. Then an adjustment every other day for a week and I'm usually good for 6 months or more.  I've never ever left in more pain.  And I've broken my back in 2 places in 2001. So I'm not exactly issue Free.  

Now I will say this. There ar many back cracking quacks out there.  Find a place that uses more therapeutic techniques vs just adjusting every day.  If you have muscle issues all the adjustment on earth won't help.  Why ?  The muscles are pulling you out of alignment . You have to fix the cause first.

Good stuff. This explains why the best treatment I received was from a DO who does manipulation and lots of massage work, too. I guess I was suckered into the Joint for low cost care. DO's can be expensive.

21

#22 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Morning folks!
I'm a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. I've attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players  NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldn't do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.
Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.
To the OP, find a doc that's been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be "cured" but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that " has never felt the same after 30 years" and has never been effectively treated.
All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnson's dad is a chiropractor.
Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think you'll be happy.

Nick

thanks Nick

Edited by Tanner25, 12 July 2018 - 05:30 PM.


22

#23 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

 tsecor, on 12 July 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Nobody is saying you do not help anyone, but the theory you can solve illnesses and colds based on spinal manipulation is just quack science to the medical community.  I have three Chiros in my own family and they stick to what they know which is spinal adjustments. But even they will tell you the medicare issues of getting reimbursed is a nightmare.  Plus when you look at the origins of this science, you learn its based on nothing, only theory.   Some people take placebo pills and claim they get better....its all very personal. I'm not trying to offend you in any way but when DC's start comparing themselves to MD"s, its an issue.

Chiro has its place, but unfortunately too many DC"s operate way outside their true scope and give the good ones a bad name.  the AMA does not recognize Chiros and its not because of money. Its because of how Chiropractic care originated.....there is plenty of money to go around
Quack science? Please do your research. The medical community has done the research for us. They want to teach spinal manipulation in med schools but have been barred by the court system. It is about the money. The AMA is the largest lobbying organization on the planet. Along with the pharmaceutical companies, they spend $1billion a month on advertising. Look at TV advertising, how many drug commercials can you count in an hour? No other country in the world does this. Back pain will affect 80% of the population at one time or another and we cut into those profits. There are countless insurance companies who would rather see you go to a DC vs an MD by charging deductibles for MD care and none for DC care
As far as the origins of the science, may I remind you MDs used leeches for bloodletting, drilled holes in skulls to let out the ďbad vaporsĒ, and other fun treatments. 100,000+ people die annually from botched surgeries, wrong prescriptions, and misdiagnosis. Iíve never heard of a chiropractic fatality.
And finally, Medicare...Medicare has put 2 kids thru the finest colleges in the country...cash; It has allowed me to live a very comfortable life while working part time and it has allowed an untold amount of seniors to get the care they need and deserve. Tell your chiro relatives that documentation is the key

Edited by Spinedoc2304, 12 July 2018 - 06:17 PM.


23

#24 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

 ddetts, on 12 July 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

Is there a way to evaluate/test for if a person is doing this in their swing?

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)
No real way to tell if your swing is creating back issues when discussing thoracic spine vs lumbar spine rotation. A PGA pro should help with that.

When different professionals ďthinkĒ that your pain may be disc related, itís time for an MRI. Thatís the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

24

#25 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

 ddetts, on 12 July 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

Is there a way to evaluate/test for if a person is doing this in their swing?

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)
No real way to tell if your swing is creating back issues when discussing thoracic spine vs lumbar spine rotation. A PGA pro should help with that.

When different professionals "think" that your pain may be disc related, it's time for an MRI. That's the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

Nick, I have neck pain with the neck adjustments, after the visits. Would you recommend having the chiro to take it off his list of adjustments or it's normal? I didn't have some of the pains before going. I am a bit concerned. Hopefully, it will work in the long run. Tanner


25

#26 ef131313

ef131313

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311855
  • Joined: 04/28/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

My L4-L5 has been an issue for years. Chiropractic has kept me golfing through it all but they must use a drop table.

26

#27 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

 Tanner25, on 12 July 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

 ddetts, on 12 July 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

Is there a way to evaluate/test for if a person is doing this in their swing?

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)
No real way to tell if your swing is creating back issues when discussing thoracic spine vs lumbar spine rotation. A PGA pro should help with that.

When different professionals "think" that your pain may be disc related, it's time for an MRI. That's the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

Nick, I have neck pain with the neck adjustments, after the visits. Would you recommend having the chiro to take it off his list of adjustments or it's normal? I didn't have some of the pains before going. I am a bit concerned. Hopefully, it will work in the long run. Tanner
Hey Tanner
Have the Chiro switch to a lower force method. Ask if uses Activator method. Some soreness may be normal, especially if youíre new to all this. Definitely bring it up with the doc. Ice after the adjustments also help

27

#28 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17357

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

I ruptured the discs in my neck and recovery was both slow and painful. My brother-in-law who is a dentist and has a Master's in pain management, spent weeks trying to convince me to see a chiropractor he knows. I finally did, and it was one of the best things I ever did. She got me squared away in relative short order, and has done so with subsequent injuries.

I suppose like in any other profession there are good ones and bad ones. I fortunately have a good one.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

28

#29 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 891

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

 Spinedoc2304, on 12 July 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

 tsecor, on 12 July 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Nobody is saying you do not help anyone, but the theory you can solve illnesses and colds based on spinal manipulation is just quack science to the medical community.  I have three Chiros in my own family and they stick to what they know which is spinal adjustments. But even they will tell you the medicare issues of getting reimbursed is a nightmare.  Plus when you look at the origins of this science, you learn its based on nothing, only theory.   Some people take placebo pills and claim they get better....its all very personal. I'm not trying to offend you in any way but when DC's start comparing themselves to MD"s, its an issue.

Chiro has its place, but unfortunately too many DC"s operate way outside their true scope and give the good ones a bad name.  the AMA does not recognize Chiros and its not because of money. Its because of how Chiropractic care originated.....there is plenty of money to go around
Quack science? Please do your research. The medical community has done the research for us. They want to teach spinal manipulation in med schools but have been barred by the court system. It is about the money. The AMA is the largest lobbying organization on the planet. Along with the pharmaceutical companies, they spend $1billion a month on advertising. Look at TV advertising, how many drug commercials can you count in an hour? No other country in the world does this. Back pain will affect 80% of the population at one time or another and we cut into those profits. There are countless insurance companies who would rather see you go to a DC vs an MD by charging deductibles for MD care and none for DC care
As far as the origins of the science, may I remind you MDs used leeches for bloodletting, drilled holes in skulls to let out the "bad vapors", and other fun treatments. 100,000+ people die annually from botched surgeries, wrong prescriptions, and misdiagnosis. I've never heard of a chiropractic fatality.
And finally, Medicare...Medicare has put 2 kids thru the finest colleges in the country...cash; It has allowed me to live a very comfortable life while working part time and it has allowed an untold amount of seniors to get the care they need and deserve. Tell your chiro relatives that documentation is the key
quack science is not my term....im just saying that's been the historical stigma........I agree with a lot of what you said but your stat on how many people die from botched surgeries is in fact, erroneous....that's a much deeper worm hole as we both know....bottom line is im glad u make a nice living and are doing go work. ...

29

#30 Spinedoc2304

Spinedoc2304

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392354
  • Joined: 08/21/2015
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:05 PM

Just googled ďmedical deaths per yearĒ. I actually underestimated. According to Johnís Hopkins, the figure is more like 250K per year. Right there on page one.
Anyway, thanks for the debate and play well.

Nick


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors