Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GOLF Magazine - Feature article on Lefty

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

2 off the 1st if ya need it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118661
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 2373

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

A Morning With Mickelson

Anybody read this article in Golf Magazine? Probably so, as I'd imagine all you boys subscribe to this magazine. I never did, but after an online order, I somehow got signed up for a monthly subscription to Golf Magazine - at my office, no less. I haven't ever given it much time because I've been so busy, but since the golf bug has bitten hard once again, I made a little time, sat down and read this article about Phil and man, I think I really like the guy.

I've been an avowed Tiger supporter for many years, and as such, I chose a stance in direct opposition to Phil, though I've always admired him. The stones he has to attempt some of the stuff he does is incredible. I will always remember the time he sent Bones up to the green to tend the flag from like 185 out with a tourney on the line a few years back. He wasn't thinking hit it close. He was thinking knock it in, and he had the balls to make that publicly known. As a new golfer at the time, I remember thinking how cool that was. I wish he'd have knocked it in. Didn't miss by much!

At any rate, the digital version of the article I linked to above is great, and mirrors the body copy of the magazine article word for word, but what's missing and what I loved reading were the first-hand accounts and short tales about Mickelson the golfer, the dad, the human from his contemporaries and friends.

I wish I'd have gotten on the Phil train earlier....I know he's in the twilight of his career, but what an interesting, and extremely likable, and in some non-golf ways, relatable, guy.

Anyways, give it a read when you have 10 mins. It's worth your time and I think you'll enjoy it. If you can get a copy of the actual magazine in your hands, even better.

Cheers!

Duff

// Taylormade JetSpeed w/ Matrix MFS5 Black Tie 70x //
// Ping G20 16* 4W w/ Flowerband WB 83X //
// Ping i25 19* Hybrid w/KuroKage Proto 100X //
// Ping G25 4-UW w/ Modus 120s //
// Ping Tour Gorge 54/58 Wedges //
// Odyssey Works V-Line //

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4850

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

that article read like 50 shades of Phil.
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

#3 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

2putttom, on 11 July 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

that article read like 50 shades of Phil.

Haha!

#4 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

I have grown to appreciate him more with age. I always assumed he was a decent guy.
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

#5 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing.

#6 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 4159

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the link..

Phil seems to be in a really happy place- good on him. Hope he finds the winner's circle a few more times!

#7 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 1873

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:45 AM

Interesting article. Shipnuck has hinted about a Mickelson article on golf.com for a short while now in their Sunday night Tour Confidential round table discussions,

A few observations....

- While this has been in the works for a while it's interesting in the timing of this article being published given the recent actions for Phil being in the news on the course
- Somewhere Fergie's head exploded. More than once.
- Pretty bad editing error/oversight in the article on when Phil and Tiger were paired in the RC. It was 2004 not 2006 as the article stated.
- Safe non controversial middle of the road puff piece by Shipnuck. Complete gloss over/whiff on the insider trader accusations against Phil. Should have been covered.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by grm24, 12 July 2018 - 01:15 AM.

#8 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 3783

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:04 AM

Duffner, on 11 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

A Morning With Mickelson

Anybody read this article in Golf Magazine? Probably so, as I'd imagine all you boys subscribe to this magazine. I never did, but after an online order, I somehow got signed up for a monthly subscription to Golf Magazine - at my office, no less. I haven't ever given it much time because I've been so busy, but since the golf bug has bitten hard once again, I made a little time, sat down and read this article about Phil and man, I think I really like the guy.

I've been an avowed Tiger supporter for many years, and as such, I chose a stance in direct opposition to Phil, though I've always admired him. The stones he has to attempt some of the stuff he does is incredible. I will always remember the time he sent Bones up to the green to tend the flag from like 185 out with a tourney on the line a few years back. He wasn't thinking hit it close. He was thinking knock it in, and he had the balls to make that publicly known. As a new golfer at the time, I remember thinking how cool that was. I wish he'd have knocked it in. Didn't miss by much!

At any rate, the digital version of the article I linked to above is great, and mirrors the body copy of the magazine article word for word, but what's missing and what I loved reading were the first-hand accounts and short tales about Mickelson the golfer, the dad, the human from his contemporaries and friends.

I wish I'd have gotten on the Phil train earlier....I know he's in the twilight of his career, but what an interesting, and extremely likable, and in some non-golf ways, relatable, guy.

Anyways, give it a read when you have 10 mins. It's worth your time and I think you'll enjoy it. If you can get a copy of the actual magazine in your hands, even better.

Cheers!

Duff

Its crazy how many people are like that.Personally I loved both because i knew how special they truly were are. Were never going to have 2 guys like that again.122 wins 19 majors. Insanity what we witnessed over 20+ years but some people are team one over another which in my eyes is a shame because they both offer different things. As for stones nothing took more stones than this shot. pure insanity.not even tiger tries this

#9 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 3783

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:12 AM

grm24, on 12 July 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

Interesting article. Shipnuck has hinted about a Mickelson article on golf.com for a short while now in their Sunday night Tour Confidential round table discussions,

A few observations....

- While this has been in the works for a while it's interesting in the timing of this article being published given the recent actions for Phil being in the news on the course
- Pretty bad editing error/over site in the article on when Phil and Tiger were paired in the RC. It was 2004 not 2006 as the article stated.
- Safe non controversial middle of the road puff piece by Shipnuck. Complete gloss over/whiff on the insider trader accusations against Phil. Should have been covered.

Why does that matter though? its over and settled.Look tiger almost killed himself and others last year, went to rehab and not one media member or golf telecast has brought it up in the last 8-9 months. i personally dont care as it falls in who jennifer aniston is dating type gossip. Not being snarky but do you really care? either players personal stuff doesnt diminish my admiration for the players they are and their accomplishments. Maybe im alone in that aspect

#10 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:57 AM

Phil is currently avoiding the media in Scotland and only communicating with "friends" in the media like Rosaforte.

Edited by OldTomMorris, 12 July 2018 - 02:45 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Always_rough

Always_rough

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462022
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:34 AM

lowheel, on 12 July 2018 - 01:12 AM, said:

A few observations....

- Pretty bad editing error/over site in the article on when Phil and Tiger were paired in the RC. It was 2004 not 2006 as the article stated.

Why does that matter though? its over and settled.Look tiger almost killed himself and others last year, went to rehab and not one media member or golf telecast has brought it up in the last 8-9 months. i personally dont care as it falls in who jennifer aniston is dating type gossip. Not being snarky but do you really care? either players personal stuff doesnt diminish my admiration for the players they are and their accomplishments. Maybe im alone in that aspect

I'm kinda with you in the sense of why it should matter, but multiple journalists have asked Tiger about his incident last year behind the wheel. Hell, I even think they brought it up at the Masters this year.
Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
(3W) 917 F3
(3i)    MP-18 fli hi
(4i-PW)    JPX 900 Tour
(52, 56, 60) SM6
Oven B1-01

#12 btmoney

btmoney

hack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232629
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Sounds like your typical super-rich. No more, no less.

#13 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3038

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

OldTomMorris, on 12 July 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

Phil is currently avoiding the media in Scotland and only communicating with "friends" in the media like Rosaforte.

He spoke to them today after his round.

https://www.golfdige...ly-entertaining
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#14 IVM

IVM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401922
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for posting that, it was great reading.

#15 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 4159

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

lowheel, on 12 July 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

Duffner, on 11 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

A Morning With Mickelson

Cheers!

Duff

Its crazy how many people are like that.Personally I loved both because i knew how special they truly were are. Were never going to have 2 guys like that again.122 wins 19 majors. Insanity what we witnessed over 20+ years but some people are team one over another which in my eyes is a shame because they both offer different things. As for stones nothing took more stones than this shot. pure insanity.not even tiger tries this

That shot doesn't even ENTER other player's minds. So freaking good...

#16 jonsnow

jonsnow

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1141

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

A few observations....

- Pretty bad editing error/oversight in the article on when Phil and Tiger were paired in the RC. It was 2004 not 2006 as the article stated.

Like Jack Jeebs in Men in Black...
WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 50,54, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

#17 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 2001

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

I'm not sure what is so great about the article.  I feel like we hear the same stories about Phil 50 different ways.  He's good with fans, he tips people, he likes trash talk.

There's really nothing interesting written here from what I can read, and I don't have an issue with Phil.  I feel like Tour guys are put on this odd pedestal where the most mundane things are interesting because they are famous.  Wow, Phil has a special coffee he likes to drink.  He ate avocado toast. He got up at 5:30 am to go to the gym.  This is stuff thousands upon thousands of people do - eat some healthy food, workout, or get up early to do their job.

#18 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

Titleist 670, on 13 July 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'm not sure what is so great about the article.  I feel like we hear the same stories about Phil 50 different ways.  He's good with fans, he tips people, he likes trash talk.

There's really nothing interesting written here from what I can read, and I don't have an issue with Phil.  I feel like Tour guys are put on this odd pedestal where the most mundane things are interesting because they are famous.  Wow, Phil has a special coffee he likes to drink.  He ate avocado toast. He got up at 5:30 am to go to the gym.  This is stuff thousands upon thousands of people do - eat some healthy food, workout, or get up early to do their job.

I think that was part of the point. These guys are no different than anyone else. And the poster who thinks he should have been asked about insider trading? Why? He is never going to give more than what he has already. Who cares? It’s over. I really get upset with these reporters who think they’re on a mission to save the world. “I must ask those tough questions.  I have a responsibility”. Well look, this is a golfer and we just want an insight into part of his day. I thought it was a fun read. I like the ending where Phil says, “that wasn’t so bad”, then peels out in his car golf cart. Haha.   What a life.

#19 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Titleist 670, on 13 July 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

There's one in every group.... Just keep it moving if ya didn't enjoy it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors