Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Used Iron/Shaft Advice (Ping i200 & Callaway Apex CF 16)

Irons Shafts i200 Apex CF 16

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502140
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

For years I've played the following:
Driver - King Cobra Speed LD 5000 Inertia 9*
3W - Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
5W - Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead
Irons (4i-PW) - Ping Eye2 Black Dot (got these in Middle School about 20 years ago)
Cleveland Wedges - 56*, 52* & 60*
Putter - Taylormade Nubbins Blade

This Spring I finally upgraded my driver (Callaway Rogue 10.5*), 3W (Callaway Rogue) and putter (Taylormade Spider Tour Black) and now I'm looking to upgrade my irons..

As noted above, I've been playing the same set of Ping Eye2s that my dad got me in Middle School and I'm pretty sure they were cut down some to fit my height at the time (lie angle may have been adjusted too). Having already spent a good chuck of change on the driver, 3W and putter I'm hoping to find some decent irons (used or previous generation/model) in the $500-$600 range. Distance isn't much of a concern for the new irons, I'm more interested in consistency, feel and some forgiveness. I don't keep an official handicap but would venture to guess it's between 10-12. I'm planning to to stop by the local golf store to hit some balls to try  in the next few days and dial in the shaft length and lie angle (presuming I'll find the clubs online). Having looked through Golf Digest's 2018 Hot List and having played Pings forever, I was looking at the i200s (seems to be quite a few used sets online) but would love to hear some other recommendations.

If you have any questions or need additional info to make a recommendation, let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by Drofdarb23, 12 July 2018 - 10:50 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ratdg1

ratdg1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274359
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Have you thought about having the Eye2s lengthened?  I've experimented, and I find that there's not much performance distance between the Eye2s and the newer clubs.
Ping G 9
Taylormade V-Steel 3w, 5w
Ping Eye2 BeCu 2-S
Wilson 8802 Milled

#3 Shifty76

Shifty76

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200967
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Callaway Apex irons have been really well received here. Might fit the bill. Keeps the irons/woods all Callaway too, if you care about that kind of thing :)
Titleist AP2 is always a popular choice too, or even AP1 if you want more forgiveness.

If you're restricted to the $500 - $600 range I'd take a look through the Golf Digest 2016 so even 2017 hot list, as a used set from then would likely fall in that price bracket.

Another option would be to go with something like a Maltby custom made set. Popeye was raving about the TS2 forged irons, and they'd come in right around that price range brand new and custom fit to your specs.

Edited by Shifty76, 11 July 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Postratdg1, on 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Have you thought about having the Eye2s lengthened?  I've experimented, and I find that there's not much performance distance between the Eye2s and the newer clubs.

I have not but that's an interesting thought. I figured since the Eye2s are ~30ish years old there would be some advantage moving to newer technology/irons?

#5 jholz

jholz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151611
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Like stated above, you could probably play those Pings pretty effectively until the day you die. But, I completely understand your desire for something new.

Your price range is going to limit you to used, or old stock, obviously, but either way there are tons of great sets to be found. Too many and too many variables to really recommend one, or twenty.

You might want to get a demo day "fitting" to try some different shafts and see what you like. Most of the reps will do this for you. It isn't like a real fitting, but can give you some interesting insights.

If you're going to go used, I almost think narrowing it down to several different clubheads, and looking for that preferred shaft might be the way I'd go.

I like Callaway Preowned for used iron sets. They've got stuff from all major OEM's.

Discount Dan's, Rock Bottom, etc. have some deals on old stock.

Do some research and have fun along the way!

Edited by jholz, 11 July 2018 - 02:13 PM.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

#6 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

As mentioned above, Maltby is the ticket.  Customized and new.  These are especially a good deal if you don't ho for new clubs every 2 or 3 years.
15 hcp

#7 kcd38

kcd38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488364
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

JPX 900 forged would be a good one to look at. A new line of JPX irons is set to come out soon so the prices should be dropping
WITB:

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661 S
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
Hybrid - Ping G400 19 degree, Alta CB 70 S or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
4-PW - Mizuno Mp 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 (52 F, 56 F, 60 D, bent to 51, 55, 59)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

#8 jonn443

jonn443

Jonnystx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104882
GolfWRX Likes : 1030

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

J15 CB.

Malby TS2 looks great and has rumors of being incredible for the price.

Edited by jonn443, 11 July 2018 - 03:55 PM.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

#9 nemoblack

nemoblack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2795
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

Have you considered a muscleback/blade iron? I would guess that most 10-12 handicaps could really enjoy playing with such a set. Might be an enlightening, and almost certainly fun, experiment to give something wholly different from your Eye-2s a try.

Lots to choose from in your price range that would only be a few years old and probably considered "top end" clubs by most.

#10 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

View PostShifty76, on 11 July 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

Callaway Apex irons have been really well received here. Might fit the bill. Keeps the irons/woods all Callaway too, if you care about that kind of thing :)
Titleist AP2 is always a popular choice too, or even AP1 if you want more forgiveness.

If you're restricted to the $500 - $600 range I'd take a look through the Golf Digest 2016 so even 2017 hot list, as a used set from then would likely fall in that price bracket.

Another option would be to go with something like a Maltby custom made set. Popeye was raving about the TS2 forged irons, and they'd come in right around that price range brand new and custom fit to your specs.

Thanks for the recommendations. The 2016 & 2017 Hot Lists are a great idea! Have't heard of Maltby but sounds like I need to check them out.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

View Postjholz, on 11 July 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

Like stated above, you could probably play those Pings pretty effectively until the day you die. But, I completely understand your desire for something new.

Your price range is going to limit you to used, or old stock, obviously, but either way there are tons of great sets to be found. Too many and too many variables to really recommend one, or twenty.

You might want to get a demo day "fitting" to try some different shafts and see what you like. Most of the reps will do this for you. It isn't like a real fitting, but can give you some interesting insights.

If you're going to go used, I almost think narrowing it down to several different clubheads, and looking for that preferred shaft might be the way I'd go.

I like Callaway Preowned for used iron sets. They've got stuff from all major OEM's.

Don't get my wrong, I really like my Eye2s (obviously) but what is it about them that allows them to remain such a good set of irons/not become obsolete despite being produced ~30 years ago and all the changes in technology over that time period? As mentioned above, maybe I just need to get them lengthened and perhaps the lie adjusted..?

In the meantime, I'll definitely be perusing the Callaway Preowned site.

Thanks!

#12 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

View Postnemoblack, on 11 July 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Have you considered a muscleback/blade iron? I would guess that most 10-12 handicaps could really enjoy playing with such a set. Might be an enlightening, and almost certainly fun, experiment to give something wholly different from your Eye-2s a try.

Lots to choose from in your price range that would only be a few years old and probably considered "top end" clubs by most.

I love the look of blades but have always been too afraid to shell out the dough for something that may not suit my game. Maybe I'll ask to hit some when I head over to the golf shop.

#13 Pi5seeker

Pi5seeker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79485

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

Maltby TE/DBM, Wilson FG Tour V4 or V6, or Ping I200's.
Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue 65
SMT 3390 16* Grafalloy Epic FWY
Maltby KE4 Tour 19* AXE XCaliber
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Maltby DBM 5-GW S300
Maltby Tour Grind MG 56* 60* R300
Odyssey Works Versa 1W
QST
Clicgear 3.5/Callaway ORG. 14l

#14 Shifty76

Shifty76

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200967

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 11 July 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Thanks for the recommendations. The 2016 & 2017 Hot Lists are a great idea! Have't heard of Maltby but sounds like I need to check them out.

Here's the Maltby thread I was talking about: http://www.golfwrx.c...ge__hl__ maltby

If I was in the market for a new set of irons I'd strongly consider a set of these, especially if the rumoured black ones come out.

#15 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 11 July 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Maltby products will not be on any magazine's hot list because they don't advertise in the magazines.  Best place to read about Maltby products is their site or  right here on this forum - using the search function.

15 hcp

#16 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

I will suggest you have a great company in Ping so why not hit their newer clubs? I am a Ping fan like you, I learned to play with the original Karsten II and then later the Eye2. Fantastic, classic clubs. I learned so much about the game with them. You definitely can keep playing them. Nothing wrong with that choice.

But I wouldnít decide until you hit the i200. I did, I bought them when they got discounted and I can tell you for sure the shot height and distance you will get with these irons far surpasses the old Pings. It is not the stronger lofts alone, it is that they strengthened the lofts AND kept the flight window. Your 7 iron goes the distance of a 6 iron but it is still in a 7 iron flight window. They are powerful, they feel great and they stop on a dime. Extremely easy to hit. I have noticed on thin shots they really are a difference maker too. I am hitting the 6 iron 182 at a 90 foot apex. Thatís plenty long for me. I could not carry my older Pings ó still have the Karsten IIís ó that far no matter how well I hit it.

I went with DG 120 stiff shafts, power spec lofts, green dot (2 degrees up). Have played a total of 3 rounds with them and can say with certainty they have made the courses play a little shorter.

Ping is an elite engineering company. They always have made great clubs. But they have never been any more on top of their game than they are now. The G400 woods, putters, wedges, everything. Hit the i200s and judge for yourself. My first demo was so good I did NOT buy them, I didnít believe the numbers. My second demo was an outdoor fitting and I hit the Pings and several competitors. The order went in for the i200s. The adjustment period I had with these clubs was none, just had to adjust for distances.
[size=3]Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches

#17 jholz

jholz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151611
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 11 July 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Don't get my wrong, I really like my Eye2s (obviously) but what is it about them that allows them to remain such a good set of irons/not become obsolete despite being produced ~30 years ago and all the changes in technology over that time period? As mentioned above, maybe I just need to get them lengthened and perhaps the lie adjusted..?

Thanks!

Others may (and do) disagree, but radical alterations of golf equipment take a really long time, especially in the irons. Even if you compare today's clubs to those from the early 20th century, the iron heads are still very recognizable in terms of shape and design. The three biggest innovations separating modern clubheads from those of the early-to-mid 20th century (beyond materials and quality of manufacturing) are cast production, offset, and perimeter weighting - i.e. cavity back designs.

The Ping Eye 2's happen to be one of those exceptional clubheads (like many Ping irons) that gives people a really functional design that incorporates all the best advances in modern iron clubhead design. There are obviously lots of newer models out there, but many would argue they haven't done much to advance iron clubhead design since the Eye 2's. Beyond that, you just can't wear those things out. I still see them all over the place.

Given the slow advancement of design, when it comes to iron heads especially, I think most people can find quite a few models from the last 20 years (or more) that perform roughly the same for them.

That's what brings me to shafts - especially since you have doubts about whether your previous clubs fit you. That's why I think it would be a good idea to get a simple (and typically free) Length, Loft, and Lie fitting from a reputable product rep at a demo day. If they are not totally slammed, they can confirm your basic fitting characteristics and put a few different shafts in your hands to try. Those are going to have more of an impact on performance, than one head to the next (typically, and of course, in my opinion).

So, finding a number of different clubheads you like, and then using a shaft preference to narrow the search, is how I would go. YMMV!

Edited by jholz, 12 July 2018 - 10:21 AM.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

#18 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 11 July 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

Irons (4i-PW) - Ping Eye2 Black Dot (got these in Middle School about 20 years ago)

This Spring I finally upgraded my driver (Callaway Rogue 10.5*), 3W (Callaway Rogue) and putter (Taylormade Spider Tour Black) and now I'm looking to upgrade my irons..

As noted above, I've been playing the same set of Ping Eye2s that my dad got me in Middle School and I'm pretty sure they were cut down some to fit my height at the time (lie angle may have been adjusted too). Having already spent a good chuck of change on the driver, 3W and putter I'm hoping to find some decent irons (used or previous generation/model) in the $500-$600 range. Distance isn't much of a concern for the new irons, I'm more interested in consistency, feel and some forgiveness. I don't keep an official handicap but would venture to guess it's between 10-12. I'm planning to to stop by the local golf store to hit some balls to try  in the next few days and dial in the shaft length and lie angle (presuming I'll find the clubs online). Having looked through Golf Digest's 2018 Hot List and having played Pings forever, I was looking at the i200s (seems to be quite a few used sets online) but would love to hear some other recommendations.

If you have any questions or need additional info to make a recommendation, let me know.

Thanks!

People who buy clubs based on that Hot List are the most naive.  Everyone knows that the OEMs pay $$$ to be on the list (especially if you want your product to get a Gold Medal).  Usually unbiased buzz from forums like this are a very good source and you will be in the know.
9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

#19 jonn443

jonn443

Jonnystx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104882
GolfWRX Likes : 1030

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

The HOT LIST is the biggest BS list in the industry.

Focus on REAL reviews here and you will get the most thorough  perspective on the clubs you most interested in.

Edited by jonn443, 12 July 2018 - 11:48 AM.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

#20 tsecor

tsecor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
GolfWRX Likes : 1182

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

save up and get the new mizunos.....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostdmeeksDC, on 11 July 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

I will suggest you have a great company in Ping so why not hit their newer clubs? I am a Ping fan like you, I learned to play with the original Karsten II and then later the Eye2. Fantastic, classic clubs. I learned so much about the game with them. You definitely can keep playing them. Nothing wrong with that choice.

But I wouldn't decide until you hit the i200. I did, I bought them when they got discounted and I can tell you for sure the shot height and distance you will get with these irons far surpasses the old Pings. It is not the stronger lofts alone, it is that they strengthened the lofts AND kept the flight window. Your 7 iron goes the distance of a 6 iron but it is still in a 7 iron flight window. They are powerful, they feel great and they stop on a dime. Extremely easy to hit. I have noticed on thin shots they really are a difference maker too. I am hitting the 6 iron 182 at a 90 foot apex. That's plenty long for me. I could not carry my older Pings — still have the Karsten II's — that far no matter how well I hit it.

I went with DG 120 stiff shafts, power spec lofts, green dot (2 degrees up). Have played a total of 3 rounds with them and can say with certainty they have made the courses play a little shorter.

Ping is an elite engineering company. They always have made great clubs. But they have never been any more on top of their game than they are now. The G400 woods, putters, wedges, everything. Hit the i200s and judge for yourself. My first demo was so good I did NOT buy them, I didn't believe the numbers. My second demo was an outdoor fitting and I hit the Pings and several competitors. The order went in for the i200s. The adjustment period I had with these clubs was none, just had to adjust for distances.

Wow, quite the endorsement for the i200s! Based on Ping's fitting chart, I fall right on the line between black and blue so it's probably a good idea to get fitted for the correct lie and length. I hope the shops still have some to hit since they're quickly disappearing from some of the retail sites..

#22 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

View Postjholz, on 12 July 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostDrofdarb23, on 11 July 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Thanks!

Others may (and do) disagree, but radical alterations of golf equipment take a really long time, especially in the irons. Even if you compare today's clubs to those from the early 20th century, the iron heads are still very recognizable in terms of shape and design. The three biggest innovations separating modern clubheads from those of the early-to-mid 20th century (beyond materials and quality of manufacturing) are cast production, offset, and perimeter weighting - i.e. cavity back designs.

The Ping Eye 2's happen to be one of those exceptional clubheads (like many Ping irons) that gives people a really functional design that incorporates all the best advances in modern iron clubhead design. There are obviously lots of newer models out there, but many would argue they haven't done much to advance iron clubhead design since the Eye 2's. Beyond that, you just can't wear those things out. I still see them all over the place.

Given the slow advancement of design, when it comes to iron heads especially, I think most people can find quite a few models from the last 20 years (or more) that perform roughly the same for them.

That's what brings me to shafts - especially since you have doubts about whether your previous clubs fit you. That's why I think it would be a good idea to get a simple (and typically free) Length, Loft, and Lie fitting from a reputable product rep at a demo day. If they are not totally slammed, they can confirm your basic fitting characteristics and put a few different shafts in your hands to try. Those are going to have more of an impact on performance, than one head to the next (typically, and of course, in my opinion).

So, finding a number of different clubheads you like, and then using a shaft preference to narrow the search, is how I would go. YMMV!

I think the next Ping Demo day in my area isn't for a few weeks.. I might swing by the local shops and see if they'll give me a free Length Loft & Lie fitting having spent a good chunk of change at their establishment already..

Thanks for your help!

#23 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Postcgasucks, on 12 July 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Thanks!

People who buy clubs based on that Hot List are the most naive.  Everyone knows that the OEMs pay $$$ to be on the list (especially if you want your product to get a Gold Medal).  Usually unbiased buzz from forums like this are a very good source and you will be in the know.

View Postjonn443, on 12 July 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Focus on REAL reviews here and you will get the most thorough  perspective on the clubs you most interested in.

I'll be the first to admit I'm naive when it comes to golf equipment. That's why I posted on here - to get as much info as I can to make an informed decision.. :D

Now that we've cleared up my naivete, any iron sets you would recommend based on the information I provided?

Thanks!

#24 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 12 July 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

View Postcgasucks, on 12 July 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Thanks!

View Postjonn443, on 12 July 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

I'll be the first to admit I'm naive when it comes to golf equipment. That's why I posted on here - to get as much info as I can to make an informed decision.. :D

Now that we've cleared up my naivete, any iron sets you would recommend based on the information I provided?

Thanks!

It's really hard to say what iron set is good for you.  But those Ping Eye 2s are still very very very good irons.

Just wonder around the forums around here and you'll get an idea what is right for you.  The journey of learning about equipment is the best part of your iron adventure.
9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft

#25 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

Hmm maybe I just need to get my Eye2s lengthened and see how that goes..

As it relates to the Eye2s - I have a buddy who is trying to get me to play some tournaments with him. If I recall, wasn't there some kind of change to the rules/regulations for the grooves on irons? Would I be able to play the Eye2s in a tournament or would they be considered "non-conforming" (or whatever it's called)?

For what it's worth - I also checked with some friends and received the following recommendations:
  • Callaway Apex
  • Titliest AP2
  • Ping i200s

#26 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostDrofdarb23, on 12 July 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

As it relates to the Eye2s - I have a buddy who is trying to get me to play some tournaments with him. If I recall, wasn't there some kind of change to the rules/regulations for the grooves on irons? Would I be able to play the Eye2s in a tournament or would they be considered "non-conforming" (or whatever it's called)?

For what it's worth - I also checked with some friends and received the following recommendations:
  • Callaway Apex
  • Titliest AP2
  • Ping i200s

The Ping Eye 2s are legal in tournaments today as they have been Grandfathered in (if I'm wrong please correct me).

Those recommendations are good as all of them are great irons but it is really up to you to see if you are satisfied with their ballflight and feel.

#27 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

View Postcgasucks, on 12 July 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

• Callaway Apex
  • Titliest AP2
  • Ping i200s

The Ping Eye 2s are legal in tournaments today as they have been Grandfathered in (if I'm wrong please correct me).

Those recommendations are good as all of them are great irons but it is really up to you to see if you are satisfied with their ballflight and feel.

Good to know regarding the Eye 2s being legal for tournaments. Perhaps I'll look into this a bit closer if/when I'm ready for tournament play. Gonna try and hit a variety of clubs this weekend and see what I like and feels good.

Thanks for your help!

#28 byflow2

byflow2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460544
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:mkiuk879
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

• Callaway Apex
  • Titliest AP2
  • Ping i200s
I really liked the i200 when I hit them but went with a Srixon 565/765 combo as I had a friend in the biz with srixon that made the cost that much cheaper
Cobra Fly Z  9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft
Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0
Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S
Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300
Cleveland RTX2.0 52*
Cleveland RTX2.0 56*
Cleveland RTX2.0 60*
Bettinardi Queen Bee #9

#29 Drofdarb23

Drofdarb23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

I went by a couple golf shops after work today to hit clubs and feel like I've narrowed it down to the Callaway Apex CF 16s or Ping i200s.

The first place I stopped is a local store and the helpful rep essentially put me through a fitting BUT didn't have the i200s to demo.. Anyway, he fitted me for the Apex CF 16 with Project X 6.0 shaft, standard lie and length. When he put the tape on the club head to determine lie it was between standard and 1* upright.

Since the first shop didn't have the i200s to hit, I went to Golf Galaxy to see if they did. The rep explained they stopped taking orders for new clubs (with i210s coming out at the end of the month) and then set me up on the monitor to the i200 and Apex. I liked them both but got WAY less help than I did at the first place (no surprise there).. I was somewhat surprised to see the i200 10 yards longer (on good hits) despite having 2* more loft than the Apex. However, it seemed like my mishits were worse with the i200s where as the Apex was more consistent. Both were easy to look at.

Of course, I jumped on the Callaway Preowned site when I got home to see if they had those Apex's with the specs I was fitted for but they don't. As I understand, having the right shafts can make a big difference in the performance of the club. As the rep explained to me, he recommended the Project X 6.0 shaft with low launch due to my high ball flight. It looks like the majority of the used clubs online have high launch shafts.

Should I wait/keep looking for a set that matches what I was fitted for or would a set with say Project X PXI 6.0 shafts (mid launch) be close enough? Or would the PXI shaft have a noticeable effect/difference in the performance of the club?

On the i200 front, since I wasn't fitted for those - would the same shafts (Project X 6.0) work for a set of the black or blue dot irons? Or because it's a different clubhead, I may need a different shaft?

Or just get a set of either irons and change out the shafts to the Project X 6.0?

Thanks for all the help!

Also tagged with Irons, Shafts, i200, Apex CF 16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors